ImageImageImageImageImage

BREAKING: LaMarcus Aldridge retires from NBA due to heart condition

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Re: BREAKING: LaMarcus Aldridge retires from NBA due to heart condition 

Post#41 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 am

Kiddlovesnets wrote:I cant believe he quit on us like this, we gave him a chance to win a title that he didnt get in San Antonio after all these ring chasing years. Guess he didnt like our title chance, this is horrible for KD and Harden who put so much faith into his contribution. The worst part is, the trade deadline has passed and buyout market is closed, we are left with nothing.

Lmao what a blatant troll job.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,450

Post#42 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 am

Kiddlovesnets wrote:I cant believe he quit on us like this, we gave him a chance to win a title that he didnt get in San Antonio after all these ring chasing years. Guess he didnt like our title chance, this is horrible for KD and Harden who put so much faith into his contribution. The worst part is, the trade deadline has passed and buyout market is closed, we are left with nothing.

Yo, everyone report this guy. He's been trolling for awhile now
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Kiddlovesnets
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#43 » by Kiddlovesnets » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Wait what? Why do you think I am trolling? I say what I want to say, I believe in what I wrote. Aldridge quit on us, wasted a golden chance for us to improve the rosters over the buyout market, and you expect me to just play the nice guy and wish him happy retirement?
:banghead:
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,894

Post#44 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Kiddlovesnets wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Wait what? Why do you think I am trolling? I say what I want to say, I believe in what I wrote. Aldridge quit on us, wasted a golden chance for us to improve the rosters over the buyout market, and you expect me to just play the nice guy and wish him happy retirement?

Do yourself a favor and read up on Reggie Lewis and irregular heartbeats.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#45 » by Stone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Kiddlovesnets wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Serious question.......Do you realize that he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat and that his decision was based on his health concerns?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

BREAKING: LaMarcus Aldridge retires from NBA due to heart condition  

Post#46 » by Paradise » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Because you're new and I haven't been able to follow your posts closely enough to see your posting style, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were speaking out of emotion and need some time to cool off.

I recommend not posting or responding to anyone in this thread until you recognize the gravity of LMA's situation and understand why what you've posted is completely out of line.

Although I haven't been following too closely, I have noticed that at least a few board members have questioned the sincerity of your fandom of the Nets based on other posts about the team. While I act according to my own judgments, this post you've made doesn't help your case. I am sure you can do better. If not, you may not last too long on this board.

— NyCe

Would you prefer him dropping dead on the court and ultimately demoralizing his sons, wife, family and parents? Fans? The entire league of sports who would potentially witness another Reggie Lewis?

Grow up, brother. I’m not going to hate on the post because everyone is entitled to an opinion but that’s a very immature perspective. It doesn’t represent what being a Nets fan is about, man.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#47 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm

You know it sucks that this happened. But to blame Aldridge and some how say he shouldn’t retire because of this is crazy and just wrong. I upset about the situation not his decision. And I understand he has had this for years now. But now he is older. And this particular occurrence seems to have been worse than he has experienced in the past. So yeah it’s time to stop playing. He’s 35. He has the rest of his life to live.

It sucks from a nets perspective. I guess it’s good we really only saw him a few games and this didn’t happen right before the play offs. But now we are back to Jordan as our main center and it makes me want to cry. But this team can over come it. And they will. Main goal now is just a healthy harden, Irving and Durant. Get Johnson back and everyone else be healthy and they can beat anyone.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#48 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Kiddlovesnets wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Thank you. To even remotely question Aldridge's decision is unconscionable. This is this man's life we are talking about here. I could care less about our center depth, I don't want him to die over this crap. I hope he goes on to live the next chapter of his life happy and healthy, and will always thank him for coming here to be apart of our team. It meant a lot for him just to choose us, period.

HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,569

Post#49 » by HardenGoat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

The guy is a troll, a sinister one as well. Axe the jerk
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#50 » by Claud » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Tough news.

LA gave us something we lacked with our other bigs(SIZE and Shooting/postups) plus his length helped on D.

But some things are much bigger than the game of basketball. He had a great career, but a shame it had to end like this.

Get better LA!
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#51 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:54 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Kiddlovesnets wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You're being generous.

The reason given for LMA's retirement is given in the very title of the thread. We all saw/read it.

If someone doesn't know whether having an irregular heartbeat is something a player should retire over, they should withhold judgment and reserve speaking on the matter until they are sure that their retirement was or was not justified.

It was an off-the-hip comment. Either they believe LMA should suck it up and deal with it because 'it isn't that bad' or they value a championship so much more than the lives of players that they are merely collateral to goal of winning it all. Both positions are bad.

They were already advised to essentially educate themselves before commenting and they chose to double-down. That speaks volumes.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,055

Post#52 » by exculpatory » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 pm

Paradise wrote:I honestly forgot he had heart surgery similar to Jeff Green in 2007 with Portland during the Roy era.

I remember some of you guys from the one season the Truth spent with you.

LMA’s issue is/was not in the slightest related to Jeff Green’s issue.

I am an endocrinologist, but I know some cardiology & once upon a time taught ACLS.

IIRC, his issue is Wolff Parkinson White (WPW) syndrome & episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%E2%80%93Parkinson%E2%80%93White_syndrome

Definitive RX is radiofrequency ablation of the aberrant accessory pathway.

Typically one treats SVT w AV node blockers.
In SVT associated w WPW, however, such treatment will exacerbate the SVT & is contraindicated.

IIRC, LMA was ablated many years ago.
Do not remember.
It must have recurred.
He is most definitely making the right decision.

This is very different than Jeff Green who had an aortic root aneurysm, was at risk for an aortic dissection & had life saving surgery back in 2010-2011 (and who I believe has a form of Marfan’s syndrome [Abraham Lincoln had this] predisposing him).

This is also different than Len Bias & Reggie Lewis who both had cocaine-related cardiomyopathy & a sudden lethal ventricular arrhythmia.

This is also different than Hank Gathers who I believe had ASH (assymetric septal hypertrophy)/hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) & a sudden lethal arrhythmia.
ASH/HCM is by far & away the most common cause of sudden death in young athletes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#53 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:35 am

exculpatory wrote:
Paradise wrote:I honestly forgot he had heart surgery similar to Jeff Green in 2007 with Portland during the Roy era.

I am an endocrinologist, but I know some cardiology & once upon a time taught ACLS.

IIRC, his issue is Wolff Parkinson White (WPW) syndrome & episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).

In SVT associated w WPW, however, such treatment will exacerbate the SVT & is contraindicated.

Do not remember.
It must have recurred.

This is very different than Jeff Green who had an aortic root aneurysm, was at risk for an aortic dissection & had life saving surgery back in 2010-2011 (and who I believe has a form of Marfan’s syndrome [Abraham Lincoln had this] predisposing him).

This is also different than Len Bias & Reggie Lewis who both had cocaine-related cardiomyopathy & a sudden lethal ventricular arrhythmia.

This is also different than Hank Gathers who I believe had ASH (assymetric septal hypertrophy)/hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) & a sudden lethal arrhythmia.
ASH/HCM is by far & away the most common cause of sudden death in young athletes.

Thanks for the information. Question, this may sound silly but was his life at risk during the Lakers/Nets game when he was playing through what was happening?

exculpatory
RealGM

Post#54 » by exculpatory » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

Do not remember.
It must have recurred.

Thanks for the information. Question, this may sound silly but was his life at risk during the Lakers/Nets game when he was playing through what was happening?

Not at all a silly question.

In a few words - unlikely, but to a small extent - if the SVT had persisted & degenerated into a more dangerous ventricular dysrhythmia.
He required immediate evaluation once the symptoms began.
It is highly probable that he has been seen by one of the prime time cardiac electrophysiologists in the Apple already.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#55 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 am

exculpatory wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

Do not remember.
It must have recurred.

In a few words - unlikely, but to a small extent - if the SVT had persisted & degenerated into a more dangerous ventricular dysrhythmia.
It is highly probable that he has been seen by one of the prime time cardiac electrophysiologists in the Apple already.

I see, well that's a relief although I wish he had checked him self out immediately once it had started. I felt bad because we were kind of down on how he was performing that game and now we know he was probably wondering if his damn heart was going to give out on him. Scary stuff.

Thanks for the insight Doc it was really cool for you to add your thoughts, I learned something here.

exculpatory
RealGM

Post#56 » by exculpatory » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I see, well that's a relief although I wish he had checked him self out immediately once it had started. I felt bad because we were kind of down on how he was performing that game and now we know he was probably wondering if his damn heart was going to give out on him. Scary stuff.

Thanks for the insight Doc it was really cool for you to add your thoughts, I learned something here.

My pleasure.

Yup. It had to be very disconcerting for him to feel his chest/heart ‘fluttering’ while playing in a NBA basketball game.

Hope we see you in the second round. We are finally starting to play much better (5 in a row). Playing you guys on Friday this week will be a true test of how far we have come. I think Fournier will be back from his Covid vacation - and, Tatum & Brown have been playing balls out.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:39 pm

exculpatory wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

My pleasure.

Yup. It had to be very disconcerting for him to feel his chest/heart ‘fluttering’ while playing in a NBA basketball game.

Hope we see you in the second round. We are finally starting to play much better (5 in a row). Playing you guys on Friday this week will be a true test of how far we have come. I think Fournier will be back from his Covid vacation - and, Tatum & Brown have been playing balls out.

Yeah I've noticed that you guys finally are starting to get your asses in gear :lol: I'm looking forward to it, hopefully Harden will be back so we can really have a game where both teams have all their stars.

Return to Brooklyn Nets