ImageImageImageImageImage

Sean Marks is too smart to let Mike James walk

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Sean Marks is too smart to let Mike James walk 

Post#1 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:06 am

His first 10-day will soon be expired and if I understand this correctly (I'm a mess with the rules) we have to get him re-signed for the season to a two-way in order to keep him and make sure he's playoff eligible.

Is that right?

If it is, I trust that Marks will GET IT DONE.

This dude is a baller and Marks is too smart to lose him over peanuts.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,842

Re: Sean Marks is too smart to let Mike James walk 

Post#2 » by Karate Diop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:His first 10-day will soon be expired and if I understand this correctly (I'm a mess with the rules) we have to get him re-signed for the season to a two-way in order to keep him and make sure he's playoff eligible.

Is that right?

My understanding is that the Nets have to sign James to a standard deal or a two-way contract by the end of the season in order for him to be playoff eligible. If it's to a standard deal then Aldridge needs to be waived if it's to a two-way one of Chiozza or Perry needs to be let go or Aldridge needs to be let go and either Chiozza or Perry needs to be converted to a standard deal.

I have no doubt the Nets will get a deal with James done...
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Whiskey Slick wrote:His first 10-day will soon be expired and if I understand this correctly (I'm a mess with the rules) we have to get him re-signed for the season to a two-way in order to keep him and make sure he's playoff eligible.

Is that right?

My understanding is that the Nets have to sign James to a standard deal or a two-way contract by the end of the season in order for him to be playoff eligible. If it's to a standard deal then Aldridge needs to be waived if it's to a two-way one of Chiozza or Perry needs to be let go or Aldridge needs to be let go and either Chiozza or Perry needs to be converted to a standard deal.

I have no doubt the Nets will get a deal with James done...

Thanks Karate

Yes, if it's standard we have to make LMA's retirement official.

If it's two-way, I believe Chiozza gets cut over Perry because Chiozza is out for the year and can't help us.

Also James takes Chiozza's spot as a PG.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#4 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:19 am

Mike James aka LeBron Jordan needs to stay.

Straight swap for LMAs spot works, but also wouldn't be upset if we gave him a 2 way deal and cut either cheese or Perry. Then sign another big body with the LMA roster spot
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#5 » by Openheimer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 am

After harden he maybe the best playmaker for others on the team. Very impressed with his ability
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#6 » by Papi_swav » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am

yea I stated since day 1 I wanted him sign. Definitely should give him the 2 way and cut CHeeze. We also have to waive LMA and get another body. We should be looking into that soon
Fallout_3
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#7 » by Fallout_3 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:43 am

Glad to see him here instead of killing Real in Euroleague.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:59 am

He should be signed to a standard deal asap.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#9 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:24 pm

We finally beat the raptors and it was because of him. Watching the raptors double team the guy was awesome considering Durant and Irving were on the floor at the time. I think the raptors thought he would turn the ball over under pressure. Oops. Lol. Sign this man.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#10 » by DarkXaero » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Pretty sure Mike James is still under contract to CSKA Moscow and has to return there. We'll likely keep him for rest of the season and then he goes back to Europe.
Suwanee
Junior
And1: 174

Post#11 » by Suwanee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:26 pm

DarkXaero wrote:Pretty sure Mike James is still under contract to CSKA Moscow and has to return there. We'll likely keep him for rest of the season and then he goes back to Europe.

Well that’s a bummer. But isn’t the reason they let him go because he had some friction with the coach? If so, maybe they wouldn’t want him back, hopefully
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#12 » by DarkXaero » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 pm

Suwanee wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Pretty sure Mike James is still under contract to CSKA Moscow and has to return there. We'll likely keep him for rest of the season and then he goes back to Europe.

Well that’s a bummer. But isn’t the reason they let him go because he had some friction with the coach? If so, maybe they wouldn’t want him back, hopefully
Yeah I'm not sure what the entire situation is, but as things stand, he's still under contract to them.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#13 » by Shark » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Suwanee wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure what the entire situation is, but as things stand, he's still under contract to them.

Yeah, its weird for sure. Some sites state he was on a one year contract: https://sportando.basketball/en/cska-moscow-announces-mike-james/. Their official page: https://cskabasket.com/en/team/ (at least the Euro League page) shows him under "Former Players", but on his page: https://cskabasket.com/en/team/player/5118/ it shows his contract was for 3 seasons :lol:
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#14 » by DarkXaero » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 pm

Shark wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Suwanee wrote:Well that’s a bummer. But isn’t the reason they let him go because he had some friction with the coach? If so, maybe they wouldn’t want him back, hopefully

Yeah, its weird for sure. Some sites state he was on a one year contract: https://sportando.basketball/en/cska-moscow-announces-mike-james/. Their official page: https://cskabasket.com/en/team/ (at least the Euro League page) shows him under "Former Players", but on his page: https://cskabasket.com/en/team/player/5118/ it shows his contract was for 3 seasons :lol:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah as per their official press release, Mike James was allowed to be a free agent until the end of this season. It's kinda like European soccer where teams can loan out their players to another team for a season/remainder of season.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah as per their official press release, Mike James was allowed to be a free agent until the end of this season. It's kinda like European soccer where teams can loan out their players to another team for a season/remainder of season.

Can we make an offer to CSKA to buy him out, permanently?
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#16 » by Shark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:54 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Can we make an offer to CSKA to buy him out, permanently?

I believe that is a possibility, although I can't say I'm 100% sure. But I've heard of other players being bought out of the Euro team contracts.
Fallout_3
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Fallout_3 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:23 am

There is a limit to the amount of money that an NBA team can pay to buy out a contract from a European player. It's only like 700k. So the player has to put his own money to cover the rest of the payment. It's what has happened recently with Deck or Campazzo, for example. If the clause is too big or the contract isn't much, the player can't afford it.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:33 pm

This makes things tricky. if he needs more then the minimum because he needs to pay for the gap in his buyout between what we can offer and what they require that puts us in a bind

we would need to use all or part of the MLE, which would hard cap us, which probably isnt worth it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#19 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 pm

Prokorov wrote:This makes things tricky. if he needs more then the minimum because he needs to pay for the gap in his buyout between what we can offer and what they require that puts us in a bind

we would need to use all or part of the MLE, which would hard cap us, which probably isnt worth it.

I would be shocked if Marks didn't work this all out ahead of time. From the way James has been inserted into the line up instantly, I doubt he came over here just to be let go before the playoffs
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Fallout_3
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Fallout_3 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm

As we know now, he must come back when this season ends, not before. Can't we just offer a deal for the remainder of the season, including POs?

Return to Brooklyn Nets