ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Nuggets 5/8/2021 (Stop the bleeding please!!)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,068

Re: GT: Nets @ Nuggets 5/8/2021 (Stop the bleeding please!!) 

Post#221 » by therealbig3 » Sun May 9, 2021 3:59 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Let me guess, Nash gets no credit for the comeback, it's all because Kyrie and KD were amazing...he didn't help them at all, he didn't put the right players out there at the right times at all, he didn't push the right buttons, etc.

So many NBA-caliber head coaches here that are clearly better at this than guys that have played the game at the highest level for years and are literally being paid millions to do this...so what's the deal? You guys just prefer your day jobs and would just rather not be an NBA head coach? True, totally understandable. Please, continue to whine, it's the reason why I wake up in the morning. To hear anonymous people on the Internet talk about how much better they are at something than trained professionals.

You seem to want laurels for not criticizing Nash, so here you go.

I have never said I could do the Nets head coaching job better than Nash. I have critiqued some of his decisions. It's a tough job, and he's at the apex of his industry. When you're a Fortune 500 CEO and your company has a terrible quarter, you might have to answer to the Board of Directors. They may even fire you.

I don't want to lose anyone with this analogy, so I'll make it clear: I am not advocating for firing Steve Nash. I'm saying you can be at the top of your field, and have to accept criticism or even get the axe if/when you underperform.

I think people need perspective, that’s all. Because we got down big early, it was a little disheartening to see so many people ready to jump off a bridge (figuratively) and ready to crucify Nash. If people remember correctly, we were down big against Denver in our first meeting too, and then stormed back and won in similar fashion. We did the same thing against Phoenix too.

For as many disappointing losses as we’ve had, we’ve also had some incredible comeback wins too. Why lose faith so quickly? And I realize I’m saying that as someone who wrote us off after we were down 7 early against Dallas, which did turn out to be right. But I wasn’t singling out the coach. I’ve been consistent all year in being hard on the players, that’s much easier to objectively evaluate. A lot of coaching is behind the scenes with information that we’re not privy to, so a lot of these criticisms are speculation and theorizing when we don’t actually know what’s going on.

In my field, it’s a pretty bad look if someone were to come in and criticize one of us for what they think are mistakes, because quite frankly, there’s a lot of training and knowledge you have to accumulate before you can even have an intelligible conversation with one of us about things. Which is why we do internal reviews and you are evaluated by a group of your peers and not some random dude off the street. Similarly, I feel kinda dumb to just assume that Nash doesn’t know things or his coaching staff doesn’t realize certain things...most likely, they know exactly what we mention, and if they deviate from what we think is right, it’s probably because they acknowledged it, understood it, and made an educated decision to not do something and do something else. And given our record despite all the constant injuries and roster inconsistencies that we’ve had to go through this year, I feel like Nash has earned a lot more benefit of the doubt than what he’s getting. It’s like we can’t lose against anybody, we’re supposed to go 72-0, and anything less is a failure and proof that Nash sucks. Nah, I’m not jiving with that.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,068

Post#222 » by therealbig3 » Sun May 9, 2021 4:05 pm

Like, you know where you can legitimately criticize the coach? When you look at our roster personnel, and we were like 10th in the league offensively and not among the top 3. Then it’s like, dude, you have some of the best players in the league on your team with a ton of shooters. This should be a an incredible offensive team without breaking a sweat.

Our offense is incredible though, especially when healthy. So he’s delivering on that front. The team defense is honestly better than what our personnel warrants. We should be the worst in the league, and we’re not. Like, we don’t have a single elite perimeter defender. Before Claxton and after Allen, our best defensive player was Deandre Jordan. Jeff Green stood out as one of our best overall defenders (LMAO). Think about that. Jeff Green is a terrible defender and yet he was getting props for being excellent, because he was simply way better than the alternatives and so it just looked like he was really good. We really aren’t good defensively and yet people think we should be way better than 25th in the league. I really don’t see that kind of potential with what we’re working with.
HardenGoat
Analyst
And1: 2,445

Post#223 » by HardenGoat » Sun May 9, 2021 5:17 pm

One thing we often overlook is the challenges this season has brought. Players out, COVID regulations, short offseason and no preseason. New players with 34 different starting lineups, multiple back to backs. Injuries , fasting, lack of fans. The list goes on. It’s a wonder we are actually where we are. Some of our players have carried a higher burden and there’s one in particular I want to mention. Joe Harris. He has played in every back to back and for that reason plus the above I think he deserves some credit. It wouldn’t surprise me if that hasn’t had some bearing on his shot and overall play lately. But the man suits up every game and will be a big reason why we succeed in the end.

Return to Brooklyn Nets