ImageImageImageImageImage

Spencer will re-sign with Nets….but for only the near max

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Re: Spencer will re-sign with Nets….but for only the near max 

Post#21 » by HardenGoat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:14 am

Problem here is his injuries. I don’t see a team investing a long term contract until there is proof he can play at his previous level. Look what happened to Cousins. He turned down a shorter term contract after his Achilles injury and became a rental. He should have taken the 20 mill per year contract the Pelicans offered. I see a 3 year contract and nothing more until he can prove he is capable of playing long term at a max level.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#22 » by Sharcm1 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:44 pm

I don’t think they nets will offer him anything. The talk from Marks wasn’t him being their number one priority like it was with Harris last summer. Marks was like we will help him find a team. Lol. I doubt he is back for any amount. Doesn’t seem like the nets want him and doesn’t seem like Spencer wants to come back.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#23 » by Stone » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:40 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Problem here is his injuries. I don’t see a team investing a long term contract until there is proof he can play at his previous level. Look what happened to Cousins. He turned down a shorter term contract after his Achilles injury and became a rental. He should have taken the 20 mill per year contract the Pelicans offered. I see a 3 year contract and nothing more until he can prove he is capable of playing long term at a max level.

Agreed, I also wanted to add that I saw an interview with Spencer I think around September in which he said that he had a severe case of Covid and was in bed for three weeks. That is a very long time to be sick. Could there be lingering or permanent effects? We know that in the few games he played with us at the beginning of the season his performances were subpar.

No question whoever signs him is taking a gamble.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#24 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I mean who is really going to give him more than 60/3?

Miami? Seems far fetched that they would give him such a big contract when they are still shooting for big fish.

Dallas? I guess its possible. Does he really fit next to Luka? Not a good shooter or defender. Needs the ball.

New York? This is a perfect fit. Would make sense. But why overpay? Do they really want a bad contract?

If its 3/60 why take it from someone else over us? I guess purely for playing time?

Overpays only really matter if someone else is going to take your money or it will drastically cripple you.

Miami giving spencer 4/84 instead of 3/60 isnt going to cripple their cap and spencer is probably plan B for them to Lowry in a FA class with no other lead guard options.

Dallas isnt going to attract free agents. never have. Spencer can fit with luka like he did with Russell or Levert who were both 30%+ usage guys. And the Mavs need a guy who can do damage when luka sits. its a good fit. Cuban has overpaid to get non-stars before.

I think spencer will have a floor of 3/70 a median of 3/75 - 4/90 and a ceiling of 4/106

Again, too much attention is paid to overpays or worth. not enough attention is paid to things like:

"need to do something to make the playoffs after years of missing"
"GM is in his last year, doesnt care about long term cap issues"
"GM struck out on all targets, pressure from ownership to 'get something done'"
"Our rival added a guy, we cant do nothing, we need something if only to stay relevant in the news"

25 teams may think its an awful deal, but usually one or 2 of the above gets a guy his money. Plus GMs know they can always dump a guy later with picks... which they view as a much smaller issue then fans do.

Spencer is right. taking 3/60 from the Nets is dumb. any team interested will pony that up
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:59 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Is there a problem with giving Dinwiddie a big contract like that? Honestly?

Where else is our money gonna go? And are we gonna be able to essentially add a player as good as Dinwiddie with MLE, vet minimum, and buyout options?

We basically have the opportunity to sign one of the best free agents on the market despite being in the luxury tax. Not sure why people are acting like that's not a big deal. If we had Dinwiddie healthy for this playoff run, we're likely still competing for the championship.

Signing him to a big deal is tricky. if we do, its a deal we could only keep for a year, so we would need to be able to unload it/give it away without having to attach picks.

Tsai si super rich and maybe doesnt care but the repeater tax is exponential. Bezos x 100 eventually would run out of money.

Big 3 all making 40M+ and harris at 20 plus dinwidde at 20+ time the repeater just isnt sustainable beyond a year and a half.

If we gave dinwiddie 25M, we would need to trade him or harris and take back 0 salary by 2023 years deadline
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#26 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Looking accross the league I'm not sure what advice Din is getting? Last season Fred Vanvleet 4/85. I really don't think Spencer is worth that much more than FVV. I think out offer should be somewhere in the 4/80s range with the last year being a player option.

That said I think it would be a waste of an asset if we let him walk for free or do something like a sign and trade where we probs won't get a great asset in return.

If he comes back being very healthy and the looks like the Spencer of old, that contract with be super trade-able and many teams will be interested. We could easily recoup some future assets OR a player we think that fits better(defensive wing or a big they like)

Joe Tsai has shown that he's willing to do whatever it takes. I can easily see him footing the tax bill.

If he signs somewhere for a sub $100M contract I'd be low key pissed.

if he signs for 4/60 elsewhere i wouldnt be pissed. fans need to be realistic with the tax. no matter who the owner is, you reach a limit. and honestly, even without spencer it will be tricky moving forward. i can see us not signing dinwiddie AND trading harris for tax relief after next season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,844

Post#27 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Spencer is not coming back. He wasn't even with the team for most of the season as is.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#28 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 pm

I would still rather trade Harris and give Dinwiddie a big contract. But we won't do that.

In that case I'm fine with letting Dinwiddie walk. We need to try to keep Brown and Griffin if possible.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#29 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I really did want Spencer back, but hes lost his mind if he expects that kind of deal from us.

Go get your money bro. We will figure it out.

Claud wrote:Bye

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:The thread title is not what he said, that's a clickbait headline.

That’s exactly what he said. Anything north of $60 million from us is what he will consider. It’s not happening. There’s no reality where Marks is giving him 70-90 million.

Sharcm1 wrote:Spencer is all about the money at this point in his career. That’s fine. He should try to make all he can. But I think he is slightly delusional if he thinks another team is going to give him over 100 mill over years. Maybe had he been able to come back and show he’s fine. But the guy is coming of an ACL tear. And has had one previously in his career. Who takes a risk on someone like that. I know ACL tears aren’t perceived as bad anymore. But still it will limit his explosiveness and that’s how he plays.

Sharcm1 wrote:Who ever gave him advise was stupid. He should have opted in. Took his 13 mill. Played and shown what he still can do on our championship team. And he would have gotten paid big time next summer.

This reminds me of last off-season and the talk surrounding Joe Harris. A lot of people on here were saying he's a good player, but it's insane to think a team, let alone us, would pay him north of $15 million a season and yet he got $19 mil and it was from us and he and his agent basically said other teams offered more, but he preferred the hometown discount to stay.

ACL's are like severe high ankle sprains these days and Dinwiddie has looked great in recent videos.

Someone is going to offer him a big deal. He's a legit above average starter, or 6MOY, and can fit on pretty much any team, alongside any other players, no matter their position and can 100% legitimately be a starting 1 or 2 and can slide to the 3 for extended runs. He's in his prime, is an above average athlete and hasn't necessarily hit his peak, especially if he winds up having a more defined, consistent role, playing for a great coach, with other high level players, such as a Miami or Dallas situation.

He's basically said the obvious. That numerous teams will offer him contracts in the 3 year/$60 million range, but if someone out there happened to offer him something like a 5/140-50, he'd still comeback here for 5/125. So if someone goes say, 4/110, he'd probably comeback here for 4/100, etc.

And honestly, that's a steal for him, because barring major re-injury, even if his numbers fall off a little, he'll be at worst a neutral value contract for it's duration.

All he's saying is, he expects his market value to be high, but whatever offers he gets, he'll be willing to listen to, and ultimately accept a similar, but cheaper, hometown discount to stay.

Not sure what people are mad about, it's pretty noble in today's professional athletic climate. :dontknow:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#30 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:10 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Problem here is his injuries. I don’t see a team investing a long term contract until there is proof he can play at his previous level. Look what happened to Cousins. He turned down a shorter term contract after his Achilles injury and became a rental. He should have taken the 20 mill per year contract the Pelicans offered. I see a 3 year contract and nothing more until he can prove he is capable of playing long term at a max level.

There's honestly zero relevance in that comparison. You're talking about a heavy, lumbering 7 footer with history of lower leg issues, suffering the worst injury in professional basketball, which heavy dudes no matter what peak physical shape they're in, have historically not been able to comeback from, and if they do, it taking multiple seasons to level out.

Spence has an ACL tear, which in today's NBA, dudes literally almost always comeback actually stronger, as long as they've put in the work and had a good sports medicine and rehab team around them.

Pointless comparison, honestly.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#31 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Looking accross the league I'm not sure what advice Din is getting? Last season Fred Vanvleet 4/85. I really don't think Spencer is worth that much more than FVV. I think out offer should be somewhere in the 4/80s range with the last year being a player option.

That said I think it would be a waste of an asset if we let him walk for free or do something like a sign and trade where we probs won't get a great asset in return.

If he comes back being very healthy and the looks like the Spencer of old, that contract with be super trade-able and many teams will be interested. We could easily recoup some future assets OR a player we think that fits better(defensive wing or a big they like)

Joe Tsai has shown that he's willing to do whatever it takes. I can easily see him footing the tax bill.

If he signs somewhere for a sub $100M contract I'd be low key pissed.

if he signs for 4/60 elsewhere i wouldnt be pissed. fans need to be realistic with the tax. no matter who the owner is, you reach a limit. and honestly, even without spencer it will be tricky moving forward. i can see us not signing dinwiddie AND trading harris for tax relief after next season.

I would be livid if he's let go for a 4/60 deal. You can't expect to have a repeat coup of signing guys like Kyrie and KD, then trading for Harden, if you only give them 2 year windows to win. You want to be Lakers East, or Warriors East, you need to act like it. Letting him go for 4/120? Even 4/90, somewhat understandable. But letting a guy of his caliber walk for nothing, while he signs a discount, steal of a contract elsewhere, then trading one of the top shooters, who is also a very solid overall 2-way player, for peanuts to save tax dollars the following off-season? Franchise suicide, with all the unprotected picks we have going out for the next 8 seasons. Hell, you'll probably see the Big 3 sign shorter contract extensions this summer anyway, so then they'll walk and leave us with a carcass of a roster and no picks, if they see us doing stuff like that. And then players don't want to come here in the future, because they see the same old mess and we become Knicks v2.0...

Yeah, I'd be hot.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#32 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:I don’t think they nets will offer him anything. The talk from Marks wasn’t him being their number one priority like it was with Harris last summer. Marks was like we will help him find a team. Lol. I doubt he is back for any amount. Doesn’t seem like the nets want him and doesn’t seem like Spencer wants to come back.

To me, he does want to comeback and Marks would like him back, but they're both realistic that he'll probably get too big a contract elsewhere to make it plausible.

I think the likely is a S&T, where we get an underrated role player on a cheap deal back, with a TPE making up the difference and if we're lucky, a future pick with some relatively tight protections.

Like I could see one of Kleber or Finney-Smith, and a big TPE for him, if Dallas wanted to preserve some cap space for another specific FA target to add as well.

Maybe to Miami for Iggy and a pick, if Iggy opts in?

Maybe to Sacto for Buddy Hield? Idk...

But something like that.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#33 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 am

I hope we can get a sign and trade for him maybe for TPE at the least even.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#34 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:40 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:I don’t think they nets will offer him anything. The talk from Marks wasn’t him being their number one priority like it was with Harris last summer. Marks was like we will help him find a team. Lol. I doubt he is back for any amount. Doesn’t seem like the nets want him and doesn’t seem like Spencer wants to come back.

To me, he does want to comeback and Marks would like him back, but they're both realistic that he'll probably get too big a contract elsewhere to make it plausible.

I think the likely is a S&T, where we get an underrated role player on a cheap deal back, with a TPE making up the difference and if we're lucky, a future pick with some relatively tight protections.

Like I could see one of Kleber or Finney-Smith, and a big TPE for him, if Dallas wanted to preserve some cap space for another specific FA target to add as well.

But something like that.

If we can get Finney-Smith I would be all over that deal
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#35 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I really did want Spencer back, but hes lost his mind if he expects that kind of deal from us.

Go get your money bro. We will figure it out.

Claud wrote:Bye

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:The thread title is not what he said, that's a clickbait headline.

That’s exactly what he said. Anything north of $60 million from us is what he will consider. It’s not happening. There’s no reality where Marks is giving him 70-90 million.

Sharcm1 wrote:Spencer is all about the money at this point in his career. That’s fine. He should try to make all he can. But I think he is slightly delusional if he thinks another team is going to give him over 100 mill over years. Maybe had he been able to come back and show he’s fine. But the guy is coming of an ACL tear. And has had one previously in his career. Who takes a risk on someone like that. I know ACL tears aren’t perceived as bad anymore. But still it will limit his explosiveness and that’s how he plays.

Sharcm1 wrote:Who ever gave him advise was stupid. He should have opted in. Took his 13 mill. Played and shown what he still can do on our championship team. And he would have gotten paid big time next summer.

This reminds me of last off-season and the talk surrounding Joe Harris. A lot of people on here were saying he's a good player, but it's insane to think a team, let alone us, would pay him north of $15 million a season and yet he got $19 mil and it was from us and he and his agent basically said other teams offered more, but he preferred the hometown discount to stay.

ACL's are like severe high ankle sprains these days and Dinwiddie has looked great in recent videos.

Someone is going to offer him a big deal. He's a legit above average starter, or 6MOY, and can fit on pretty much any team, alongside any other players, no matter their position and can 100% legitimately be a starting 1 or 2 and can slide to the 3 for extended runs. He's in his prime, is an above average athlete and hasn't necessarily hit his peak, especially if he winds up having a more defined, consistent role, playing for a great coach, with other high level players, such as a Miami or Dallas situation.

He's basically said the obvious. That numerous teams will offer him contracts in the 3 year/$60 million range, but if someone out there happened to offer him something like a 5/140-50, he'd still comeback here for 5/125. So if someone goes say, 4/110, he'd probably comeback here for 4/100, etc.

And honestly, that's a steal for him, because barring major re-injury, even if his numbers fall off a little, he'll be at worst a neutral value contract for it's duration.

All he's saying is, he expects his market value to be high, but whatever offers he gets, he'll be willing to listen to, and ultimately accept a similar, but cheaper, hometown discount to stay.

Not sure what people are mad about, it's pretty noble in today's professional athletic climate. :dontknow:

Yeah there is zero reason to be mad at Spencer. The guy has to look out for his best interests. He's put in a ton of work here for this team and fanbase. How many exciting times have we had here with Spencer balling out? I'm grateful for what he did here, it just sucked that he got hurt when he finally had a chance to play on a high powered team.

I hope the guy gets overpaid honestly. He went from almost being out of the league to becoming a solid starter level player.

haosmoove
Junior
And1: 221

Post#36 » by haosmoove » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:55 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

But something like that.

We can get players of Kleber/DFS/Iggy's caliber for nothing via free agency or buyout market. If we trade Dinwiddie, we have no other way of acquiring players at his caliber in the foreseeable future.

As for Hield, his salary is going to be similar to what teams are offering Dinwiddie. IMO he's an inferior (and older) player to Dinwiddie. It's interesting because his shooting may make him a better fit, and his contract runs out earlier. So it can be an option for us.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#37 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 am

haosmoove wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

But something like that.

We can get players of Kleber/DFS/Iggy's caliber for nothing via free agency or buyout market. If we trade Dinwiddie, we have no other way of acquiring players at his caliber in the foreseeable future.

As for Hield, his salary is going to be similar to what teams are offering Dinwiddie. IMO he's an inferior (and older) player to Dinwiddie. It's interesting because his shooting may make him a better fit, and his contract runs out earlier. So it can be an option for us.

That isnt entirely true.... IF you sign one of those guys, you dont get a TPE. Trading dinwiddie and getting the TPE allows you to still take in a high salary via trade.

TPE + Minor asset is honestly the best scenario if we are being realisitc
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Galou wrote:It would be great if he resigns with the Nets lmao

How's the PG situation on your team looking bruh?

You laugh now, til that free agency pool goes dry next month and the Blazers don't trade Lillard to the Knicks and options at guard become slim for the Knicks and your front office does something desperate.

This video might come back to haunt you.

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#39 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Galou wrote:It would be great if he resigns with the Nets lmao

How's the PG situation on your team looking bruh?

You laugh now, til that free agency pool goes dry next month and the Blazers don't trade Lillard to the Knicks and options at guard become slim for the Knicks and your front office does something desperate.

This video might come back to haunt you.

We are living rent free in this man's head.

Like honestly, wow. On a Knicks fan page, he does an entire video devoted to us. The funniest thing he said was that he didn't care about us. CLEARLY, you care, buddy!

Their entire organization is shook. We fuel their nightmares, and we're not even worried about them.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#40 » by Galou » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 am

Yall got damn right yall live in my head rent free.
I like to study my enemy and not all Knick fans want Dame.

It's 50/50.

Personally I don't want dame.

Knicks got a competent office. They not making stupid moves to get dame. I don't care what the tabloids say.

Now back to my hatred for yall Nets

I hate you guys with passion.

Get use to me B

Word

Put my feet on yall couches. Word.
Eat yall food too. Word

MrdollarBill

Hi there buddy
F$+*k the Nets.

Return to Brooklyn Nets