ImageImageImageImageImage

If Push Came to Shove... (Irving Trade)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: If Push Came to Shove... (Irving Trade) 

Post#521 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:00 pm

pretender_2002 wrote:Kyrie for Kristaps Porzingis... Kyrie can go play in Texas (different conference) where they are the least likely to infringe on his personal freedoms and we get back a legit two way star who is still young. We add defense for times we go up against Giannis, Embiid, AD, etc. Also, we could legit run all of Harden, KD and KP to close out games which could be deadly imo... KP is everything I dream Claxton would be and then some!

Porzingas?

hard pass. if we want D put claxton in
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,828

Post#522 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Given each mandate is drastically different, id say you get to pick and choose.

For instance, with the NYC COVID mandate, the things people seem to have issue with is:

-If a teacher/professor does not get the vaccine, not only can they not work/not be paid, they can lose tenure/pension. It is argued that is both overreaching and illegal to remove something that was earned/entitled prior to the mandate.

-No religious exemption (a judge ruled in favor of nurses that there needs to be an exemption and injuction is in place).

-The mandate is not equally applied and is inheritly discriminatory. (Jobs with extremely high female populaitons (teachers/nurses) fall under the mandate but those with high male representation are excluded (cops, fireman)). Visiting players do not need to be vaccinated to play in NYC sports venus but home teams do (this makes 0 sense if its actually about safety)

-currently NYC theaters, nurses, security guards, and teamsters among smaller individual and class groups have cases against the city.

Airlines are private. private corporations can put any restrictions they want. Additionally, telling someone they cant carry a gun is different from telling someone they need to take a drug or eat/drink/ingest something.

again, your burger joint is a private entity, they can do what they want. The government needs to act with the rgulations set for its land and citizens within the laws and the constitution. part of being a "free country" is that the government needs to abide by the freedoms set without the constitution or law. Mandates are now law, not signed by congress. they are strictly set forth by the governor and their legality can (and often is) challenged.

Private businesses (like your burger joint) dont have such restrictions. as long as they arent being discriminatory based on race/gender/religion they are typically ok.

You are 100% wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

In 1905, the SCOTUS ruled that the states have the "authority to enforce compulsory vaccination laws. The Court's decision articulated the view that individual liberty is not absolute".

Justice John Marshall Harlan delivered the decision for a 7–2 majority that the Massachusetts law did not violate the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court held that "in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand" and that "[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

It is legal precedent that individual freedoms do not trump public health and safety. This is why Cuomo and Murphy here in NY and NJ were legally able to shut down the state last spring, and why mask mandates in public places were enforced by law. It is why Joe Biden can demand that people in federal jobs need to wear masks when inside of federal office buildings. This is America, yes, and we do have freedoms, but it is not a free for all.

You do not have, and never will have, the freedom to endanger the health of other Americans. The sooner people like Kyrie realize this, the better we'll all be.

When the teamsters and unions get their cases thrown out, the judge will point to the above ruling and subsequent rulings by the SCOTUS that upholds vaccine mandates. There is nothing illegal about any of this. People need to stop being ass holes and do their part to keep each other safe.

Also, I recall seeing that NYC is working to close the loop hole allowing out of town players into public places unvaccinated. That definitively needs to happen.

I'm not wrong... because i stated none of what you reference.

1) Mandate is not law. they are 2 very different things
2) Mandates can remove certain freedoms, but they do not have unilateral power to govern, and they still need to be constitutional and be inline with discrimination laws

For instance (extreme example for clarity) you cant mandate that all chinese people get vaccinated and not apply it to veryone. you cant mandate everyone who is not vacicnated has to pay fines or you garnish their savings accounts.

The mandate is in align in alot of spots. it is complete garbage in others.

taking peoples tenure, pensions, and it not being applied to everyone is kind of BS. it should be all public buildings, not just the ones you arent scared of (i.e. police/fire)

it should apply to everyone, not just NY athletes. if it is about safety, why can Beal play at Barclays but not kyrie?

Im not saying all mandates are garbage or even that one isnt needed. but the NYC one stinks.

Mandates to protect public health and safety are 100% legal. That was the point. No one is being thrown in prison for it, but no one should be guaranteed employment or entertainment in a public setting if they can't abide by health and safety protocols. Your employer doesn't have to tolerate you if you're not abiding by rules put in place to protect public health. Your personal freedoms are not greater than the greater good.

You may think its crap, but it's being done to compel people to do the right thing, and its working because the vaccination rates are going up in NYC.

And again...if someone is an antivaxxer and can no longer be a nurse or a teacher, good. Who the hell wants an antivaxxer teaching children or tending to patients? It's disgusting.

re: Cops....if they want to die, thats on them. Covid is ravaging NYC cops. The police union is refusing a mandate while their members die. Doesn't seem smart to me.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#523 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:44 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Kyrie himself is now on record saying that he's not anti-vaxx (I don't believe him) so he's trying to publicly distance himself anti-vax movement. That being said, his message of "personal choice" has a ton of support from his peers (many of whom are vaccinated), and others (anti vaxxers and such). I'm sure Adam Silver hates all this but I don't think its at a point where he ends up being black balled from the league. What Ben Simmons has done is probably more damaging to the league as you have a young NBA "star" requesting a trade out of a contender and not reporting to them in the 2nd year of his max extension (until now). That will have bigger consequences with the next CBA negotiations.

Ben Simmons having a dispute with his team and doing a mini hold out is a drop in the bucket compared to the chaos Kyrie is causing.
What Kyrie is using his platform for is going way beyond basketball. No one will care in a week that Simmons missed training camp.

And whether he likes it or not, he is being embraced by antivaxxers for his position. He wants to have it both ways, but he won't.
Disagree, read this story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949384-sources-kyrie-irving-ben-simmons-sagas-could-lead-to-nba-rule-changes

Bulk of the article talks about issues relating to Ben Simmons scenario and what kind of effect it can have in next CBA talks.

CBA talks are greater than a public health crisis?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#524 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:And what is Ben Simmons exactly? A guy with a notoriously **** attitude and approach to basketball, who shrinks on the biggest stage. At least Kyrie has put in the time into his craft and when he's on the court, he doesn't run from the responsibility. And while Kyrie is an idiot for what he's doing right now, Kyrie has done a lot of great things off the court. Both Kyrie and Simmons are high maintenance in different ways, but there's no question that Kyrie is more well liked among his peers and the better player between the two. Doc Rivers would gladly take a committed Kyrie over Simmons right now.

Oh and btw, Simmons isn't vaccinated either :lol: :lol:

I'm not defending Simmons. I'm saying that Kyrie is most likely moving towards getting himself blackballed out of the league. This is not a good look for him or the NBA by having him become the face of the antivax movement.

thats on the media. there is not alot more someone can do besides state multiple times live that he is not anti-vaxx to let people know he isnt anti-vaxx.

Then why isn't he vaccinated, and becoming a voice for antivaxxers?

Come on man. He's doing this to himself.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#525 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm

I just seen his iG comments.

I want this hypocrite flat earther of this team period. This guy using and abusing everything players like Bill Russell, Kareem etc players fought for.

I can't with this guy anymore.

This is very low educated kid that'll get embarrassed next to college student, forget the pro, I'm talking about student. He has no damn clue f*** he's talking about.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#526 » by DarkXaero » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Ben Simmons having a dispute with his team and doing a mini hold out is a drop in the bucket compared to the chaos Kyrie is causing.
What Kyrie is using his platform for is going way beyond basketball. No one will care in a week that Simmons missed training camp.

And whether he likes it or not, he is being embraced by antivaxxers for his position. He wants to have it both ways, but he won't.
Disagree, read this story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949384-sources-kyrie-irving-ben-simmons-sagas-could-lead-to-nba-rule-changes

Bulk of the article talks about issues relating to Ben Simmons scenario and what kind of effect it can have in next CBA talks.

Dude, don't be dense, that is not at all what I said, don't be putting words in my mouth. You're talking about blackballed from the league, I'm talking from league's perspective. Kyrie is not restricted from a league mandate, he's restricted because of local city law.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#527 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm

GTR11 wrote:I just seen his iG comments.

I want this hypocrite flat earther off this team period. This guy using and abusing everything players like Bill Russell, Kareem etc players fought for.

This is very low educated kid that'll get embarrassed next to college student, forget the pro, I'm talking about student. He has no damn clue f*** he's talking about.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#528 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Disagree, read this story:

Dude, don't be dense, that is not at all what I said, don't be putting words in my mouth. You're talking about blackballed from the league, I'm talking from league's perspective. Kyrie is not restricted from a league mandate, he's restricted because of local city law.

Oh no doubt players going to get consequences from what Kyrie and Ben did. Media around the league already talking about financial punishment like in NFL. Rightfully so in my opinion. Neither Kyrie or Ben should be getting paid for $*** they doing. They f*** so many players now and years to come.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#529 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
You are 100% wrong.

In 1905, the SCOTUS ruled that the states have the "authority to enforce compulsory vaccination laws. The Court's decision articulated the view that individual liberty is not absolute".

It is legal precedent that individual freedoms do not trump public health and safety. This is why Cuomo and Murphy here in NY and NJ were legally able to shut down the state last spring, and why mask mandates in public places were enforced by law. It is why Joe Biden can demand that people in federal jobs need to wear masks when inside of federal office buildings. This is America, yes, and we do have freedoms, but it is not a free for all.

You do not have, and never will have, the freedom to endanger the health of other Americans. The sooner people like Kyrie realize this, the better we'll all be.

When the teamsters and unions get their cases thrown out, the judge will point to the above ruling and subsequent rulings by the SCOTUS that upholds vaccine mandates. There is nothing illegal about any of this. People need to stop being ass holes and do their part to keep each other safe.

Also, I recall seeing that NYC is working to close the loop hole allowing out of town players into public places unvaccinated. That definitively needs to happen.

2) Mandates can remove certain freedoms, but they do not have unilateral power to govern, and they still need to be constitutional and be inline with discrimination laws

For instance (extreme example for clarity) you cant mandate that all chinese people get vaccinated and not apply it to veryone. you cant mandate everyone who is not vacicnated has to pay fines or you garnish their savings accounts.

taking peoples tenure, pensions, and it not being applied to everyone is kind of BS. it should be all public buildings, not just the ones you arent scared of (i.e. police/fire)

it should apply to everyone, not just NY athletes. if it is about safety, why can Beal play at Barclays but not kyrie?

Im not saying all mandates are garbage or even that one isnt needed. but the NYC one stinks.

Mandates to protect public health and safety are 100% legal. That was the point. No one is being thrown in prison for it, but no one should be guaranteed employment or entertainment in a public setting if they can't abide by health and safety protocols. Your employer doesn't have to tolerate you if you're not abiding by rules put in place to protect public health. Your personal freedoms are not greater than the greater good.

You may think its crap, but it's being done to compel people to do the right thing, and its working because the vaccination rates are going up in NYC.

And again...if someone is an antivaxxer and can no longer be a nurse or a teacher, good. Who the hell wants an antivaxxer teaching children or tending to patients? It's disgusting.

re: Cops....if they want to die, thats on them. Covid is ravaging NYC cops. The police union is refusing a mandate while their members die. Doesn't seem smart to me.

In other words what MDB is saying -" you have a car, you can do whatever you want with it until it's parked in your private parking area. Once you decide to drive it on the streets, you have to have DL, insurance, registration etc. Those rules being enforced for reasons ".
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#530 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
You are 100% wrong.

Health mandates arent legal or illegal. it depends on whats in the mandate. like you can make murder ok under a mandate. Mandates are subject to challenge. You can restrict freedoms to an extent but you cant just take away things like pensions and tenure and infringe on religious rights or apply the mandate in a racially or gender biased way.

its still a democracy, a mandate needs to work in that, not around it.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#531 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm not defending Simmons. I'm saying that Kyrie is most likely moving towards getting himself blackballed out of the league. This is not a good look for him or the NBA by having him become the face of the antivax movement.

thats on the media. there is not alot more someone can do besides state multiple times live that he is not anti-vaxx to let people know he isnt anti-vaxx.

Then why isn't he vaccinated, and becoming a voice for antivaxxers?

Come on man. He's doing this to himself.

Because he doesnt want it? You can decide the vaccine isn't for you without denying the science for vaccines. as a vegan, he is pretty picky about what goes into his body.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#532 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:29 pm

I want this hypocrite flat earther of this team period. This guy using and abusing everything players like Bill Russell, Kareem etc players fought for.

What specifically did he say that you disagree with or argue is inaccurate?

without pointing that out, your comment is baseless
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#533 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 pm

GTR11 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Oh no doubt players going to get consequences from what Kyrie and Ben did. Media around the league already talking about financial punishment like in NFL. Rightfully so in my opinion. Neither Kyrie or Ben should be getting paid for $*** they doing. They f*** so many players now and years to come.

How exactly did they "F players for years to come"

Kyrie already said he accepts the consequences of losing money. Not everyone has money as their #1 priority.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,545

Post#534 » by harlem_ball » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Don't be mad at Kyrie guys. It's just basketball. He's a fine human being, even if a bit misguided.

GTR11
RealGM

Post#535 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Plenty. My body my choice is more than enough for me to understand how ignorant and hypocritical he is.

Two, team -> teammates. I'm a fan.

Three, how it's going to affect unions in general going forward. Politicians already involved.

I mean I can go on and on because it's a chain reaction. He is politicizing stuff he has no clue about.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#536 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Dude, don't be dense, that is not at all what I said, don't be putting words in my mouth. You're talking about blackballed from the league, I'm talking from league's perspective. Kyrie is not restricted from a league mandate, he's restricted because of local city law.

How exactly did they "F players for years to come"

Kyrie already said he accepts the consequences of losing money. Not everyone has money as their #1 priority.

He still gets half of his salary from team and Nike didn't drop him ( yet ).

CBA around the corner. Do you follow news that be reported? What exactly you don't understand? I'll try to help you out.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#537 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:17 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Plenty. My body my choice is more than enough for me to understand how ignorant and hypocritical he is.

Three, how it's going to affect unions in general going forward. Politicians already involved.

I mean I can go on and on because it's a chain reaction. He is politicizing stuff he has no clue about.

1) "my body my choice" is not some insane concept, regardless of if you agree or not.

2) i dont understand your grip on "Two, team -> teammates. I'm a fan."

3 Politicians were involved before Kyrie. Unions were in court before Kyrie. Kyrie spoke about not wanting it to be about politics, and how he is frustrated that people put that on him, and that the media narratives are out of his control, he can only speak for himself and its why he went live

Your stance is basically "i hate him cause he isnt vaccinated" you mentioned almost nothing he said in the video
GTR11
RealGM

Post#538 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

1) "my body my choice" is not some insane concept, regardless of if you agree or not.

2) i dont understand your grip on "Two, team -> teammates. I'm a fan."

3 Politicians were involved before Kyrie. Unions were in court before Kyrie. Kyrie spoke about not wanting it to be about politics, and how he is frustrated that people put that on him, and that the media narratives are out of his control, he can only speak for himself and its why he went live

Your stance is basically "i hate him cause he isnt vaccinated" you mentioned almost nothing he said in the video

This why I can't be on here. I can't believe how dense your are. I get the fact you argue for sake of it because this forum made for it but God damn wtf you be talking about.

My body my choice is ignorant period. Whatever the f*** you want to make it to be it is f*** ignorant. Moreover it been politicized by anti Vax group around the world. Kyrie magnified it to another level because he's public figure.

What part of he set his teammates up you didn't understand? I mean how hard it is? Team, I'm talking about Nash, Marks and rest of them? What part you didn't understand?

3 - lmao you just special man. I made mistake taking you as an adult. You just special kind.
Ecmic
Pro Prospect
And1: 804

Post#539 » by Ecmic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I get where you’re coming from when approaching this issue from a certain very specific angle, but “my body, my choice” is a non-sequitur here, and moreover it is heuristic, and therefore it’s necessary for guys like Kyrie to examine - and elucidate - the calculus of this specific pandemic as he sees it, and why “my body my choice” trumps other social consideration.

I haven’t seen him do this yet.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#540 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:And also, if nurses and teachers lose their jobs because they are antivaxxers that value conspiracy theory and facebook memes over actual science, they probably don't need to be in those jobs to begin with.

losing their job? sure.

But if im a female nurse and i lose my job cause im not Vaccinated, but the mail officer who works security doesnt lose his and is allowed in the same building, that is BS>

If im a nurse and i lose my job, thats one thing. if i lose my pension, my tenure which i accumulated for years prior to the pandemic, thats bull.

If im a nurse, and my religion states im not to be vaccinated, and you force me to go against my religion to keep my job, with no exemption process, that is bs.

People are not just fighting about keeping their jobs. hell most can go over the hudson and work. Many are being stripped of alot more, and many have issue with the law not being applied/enforced equally across gender and race.

If you are a nurse, directly in contact with several patients daily, cannot have the common decency to get vaccinated to protect your patients, and yourself, yes, you deserve to lose your job.

What on earth are you defending here?

Return to Brooklyn Nets