TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Re: GT: Magic @ Nets 12/18 - 7:30 EST 

Post#81 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Yup. either shut it down and look into another bubble or go the NFL route and stop testing players if they dont show symptoms.

its to the point where the 2-way and g-leaguers are entering protocol 2 and games are just a bunch fo 10-day guys off the streets. that isnt NBA basketball anymore

I'm uncertain of the idea of not testing people if they are asymptomatic because I am not too well informed on how contagious someone is if they aren't showing symptoms.

We have someone on our team who is at risk because of his heart issues, so my concern starts first and foremost there.

You can still test as a team to manage infections, but the league would only test for protocol/mandatory quarantine for symptomatic people.

LMA is going to have to have a come to jesus moment either way. he just got COVID so he has some baseline on how it effected him and if he is worried testing or not it seems omicron is so contgious and so often is asymptomatic that its spreading like wildfire. he is going to need to accept some elevated risk or maybe step away again.

it will work itself out. over the next month we may all get it. like 99% of the US... anyone who isnt living in a bunker. if thats the case, testing doesnt matter. if we dont all get it, then something like the bubble or a pause makes more sense.

The NFL was basically like F-it, everyone is going to get it, it seems low risk if our players do get it, stop testing and move on. the NFL is also the money hungriest of all the sports leagues

The NBA is going to go the other route. They will increase testing hoping that they can isolate players before a team decimating outbreak occurs. I'm not sure it will matter. The NFL is being much more practical.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#82 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:14 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I'm uncertain of the idea of not testing people if they are asymptomatic because I am not too well informed on how contagious someone is if they aren't showing symptoms.

We have someone on our team who is at risk because of his heart issues, so my concern starts first and foremost there.

You can still test as a team to manage infections, but the league would only test for protocol/mandatory quarantine for symptomatic people.

LMA is going to have to have a come to jesus moment either way. he just got COVID so he has some baseline on how it effected him and if he is worried testing or not it seems omicron is so contgious and so often is asymptomatic that its spreading like wildfire. he is going to need to accept some elevated risk or maybe step away again.

it will work itself out. over the next month we may all get it. like 99% of the US... anyone who isnt living in a bunker. if thats the case, testing doesnt matter. if we dont all get it, then something like the bubble or a pause makes more sense.

The NFL was basically like F-it, everyone is going to get it, it seems low risk if our players do get it, stop testing and move on. the NFL is also the money hungriest of all the sports leagues

The NBA is going to go the other route. They will increase testing hoping that they can isolate players before a team decimating outbreak occurs. I'm not sure it will matter. The NFL is being much more practical.

I don't know if I would call the NFL's decision to just to ignore it is practical. Almost the entire Washington Football Team's coaching staff just got announced as being out with Covid and their head coach is high risk due to being a cancer survivor.

Ignoring it seems like malpractice to me.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#83 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:33 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I dont think its possible to be honest. its too contagious and 15 rich people under 30 on NBA teams arent going to go back to their hotel room and sit quietly until the next practice. even if they did it might not matter. there was that case that showed someone passed omicron in a hotel when neither person left their hotel room and their doors were across the hall.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#84 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:34 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I don't know if I would call the NFL's decision to just to ignore it is practical. Almost the entire Washington Football Team's coaching staff just got announced as being out with Covid and their head coach is high risk due to being a cancer survivor.

If you are high risk you need to make that decision. especially in the NFL where your dealing with 52 guys not 17 plus an enormous staff. regardless of NFL policies your making a choice to be there. it isnt on the NFL if high risk people get sick, just like it isnt on the NBA or nets if LMA gets sick.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#85 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:The NBA is going to go the other route. They will increase testing hoping that they can isolate players before a team decimating outbreak occurs. I'm not sure it will matter. The NFL is being much more practical.

If you are high risk you need to make that decision. especially in the NFL where your dealing with 52 guys not 17 plus an enormous staff. regardless of NFL policies your making a choice to be there. it isnt on the NFL if high risk people get sick, just like it isnt on the NBA or nets if LMA gets sick.

If the NFL and NBA are doing everything possible to mitigate the spread and someone gets sick, fine. Things happen.

If they are allowing the virus to spread like wildfire and abandoning testing, that is sheer negligence and putting money over human safety. I'm not sure how anyone can defend that position.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#86 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

If the NFL and NBA are doing everything possible to mitigate the spread and someone gets sick, fine. Things happen.

If they are allowing the virus to spread like wildfire and abandoning testing, that is sheer negligence and putting money over human safety. I'm not sure how anyone can defend that position.

If the virus is spreading to everyone despite their efforts (which it is) they only have 2 choices:
1) shutdown
2) Reach amutual agreement with players that players and owners accept the risk and play, quarantining only sick people

Option doesnt seem like as bad of a choice with Omicron vs. prior strains. The NFL isnt testing daily for the flu, or for ebola or insert other transmissable disease because the risk on those has reached a tolerable threshold.

I think we are there, or close with COVID as well. Cases are more mild, we are close to over the counter treatments, majority now are a-symptomatic and breakthrough is common so any efforts you make to stop thread are pretty weak anyhow.

im not saying dont take any precautious. but i think the days of locking down and quarantines for those who test positive are likely closer ot ending. as mentioned, at MIT if you test positive they dont even send you home, just make you wear a mask.

I think the protections now should be for those who opt out. being able to do so without losing salary (not like Kyrie, im talking vaccinated people who want to sit out or sick people who want to sit out)

Return to Brooklyn Nets