Shams/Woj Kyrie is Back for Road Games UPDATE: Entered COVID Protocol

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Re: Shams/Woj Kyrie is Back for Road Games UPDATE: Entered COVID Protocol 

Post#81 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Kyrie is probably out another 2 weeks. That means he can't even practice. Will need a ramping up period. Can't play vs the Knicks and Raptors.

Seems almost pointless. How many games of Kyrie will we realistically get?

20 at most? And then he can't play at home in the playoffs?

by the playoffs he will be vaccinated. NYC mandate may also be altered by then

I seriously doubt they drop the mandate.

I hope he does get vaccinated though.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,841

Post#82 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Kyrie is probably out another 2 weeks. That means he can't even practice. Will need a ramping up period. Can't play vs the Knicks and Raptors.

Cases are exploding right now, NYC is not dropping or altering the mandate.

The Nets need to lobby the city to either allow Kyrie an exemption since he can't get vaccinated for 60 days, or bar all unvaccinated players from Barclays center.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#83 » by therealbig3 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:22 am

We gotta take a step back as fans and look at this from a human perspective. Does it make sense to change rules to accommodate a basketball player when public safety is at risk? Like come on.

Kyrie shouldn’t be anywhere near a basketball court until he gets vaccinated. Period. There should be no lifting of any mandates. Should be stricter if anything.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#84 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:08 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The Nets need to lobby the city to either allow Kyrie an exemption since he can't get vaccinated for 60 days, or bar all unvaccinated players from Barclays center.

Not sure how you can be so definitive on that. The point of the vaccine mandate is to control spread. It's clear that vaccination is not limiting the transmission of Omicron. While it may limit the severity if you catch it, that may not be enough to justify keeping the current mandate in place as written. Should a new vaccine come about that is effective in reducing transmission of Omicron, then implementing a mandate for that vaccine makes a bit more sense.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#85 » by gigantes » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 am

Prokorov wrote:by the playoffs [Kyrie] will be vaccinated. NYC mandate may also be altered by then

You know, I've never quite understood why you're so relentlessly, knee-jerkingly pro-Kyrie.

On the contrary, Kyrie's been an enormous PITA since day one, being more or less one of the weightier costs of bringing godly KD to the Nets. Because yeah-- virtually EVERY SINGLE SEASON, Kyrie's found a way to **** THE NETS UP, in one way or another.

Anyway, you were saying...?
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#86 » by gigantes » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:24 am

TheNetsFan wrote:The point of the vaccine mandate is to control spread. It's clear that vaccination is not limiting the transmission of Omicron. While it may limit the severity if you catch it, that may not be enough to justify keeping the current mandate in place as written. Should a new vaccine come about that is effective in reducing transmission of Omicron, then implementing a mandate for that vaccine makes a bit more sense.

Yeah man, the disease is doing what diseases do at this point-- i.e., they mutate less-and-less strongly in order to pass the fortress of immunology, thereby preserving their genetic vitality.

"Omicron" seems distinctly easier-spreading, but also less-dangerous.

IANAD (doctor), but it really does look like Silver borked this whole thing up, pretty massively.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#87 » by LOUiS-D » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:11 am

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:by the playoffs [Kyrie] will be vaccinated. NYC mandate may also be altered by then

You know, I've never quite understood why you're so relentlessly, knee-jerkingly pro-Kyrie.

On the contrary, Kyrie's been an enormous PITA since day one, being more or less one of the weightier costs of bringing godly KD to the Nets. Because yeah-- virtually EVERY SINGLE SEASON, Kyrie's found a way to **** THE NETS UP, in one way or another.

Before some clown footed dipsh*t undercut both of his feet on an uncontested layup this guy was the incisive, ass kicking 2nd option leading us to a championship. To say anything less is hating.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#88 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:55 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Not sure how you can be so definitive on that. The point of the vaccine mandate is to control spread. It's clear that vaccination is not limiting the transmission of Omicron. While it may limit the severity if you catch it, that may not be enough to justify keeping the current mandate in place as written. Should a new vaccine come about that is effective in reducing transmission of Omicron, then implementing a mandate for that vaccine makes a bit more sense.

They are not going to drop the mandate while cases are on the rise, it doesn't matter if Omicron is less severe for vaccinated people. You still have to worry about the unvaccinated and the immunocompromised.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#89 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Not dropped, altered.

Look around, Omicron is spreading like wildfire and even the vaccinated seem to be getting breakthroughs at a much higher rate. Forcing vaccinations makes sense until vaccinated are getting infected and you need to shut down the city or be more lenient.

By march/april they cant have 20% of the population out of work because they are unvaxxed and another 10-30% out because they have omicron. I would not be surprised if NYC eventually adopted something similar to the NFL where they only require testing and only if you have symptoms.

Another several month shut down may have greater impact then the virus at this stage. the CDC may even classify it as becoming endemic and MErck/Pfizer may have over the counter remedies by then too.

forcing people to get vaccinated wasnt a bad idea, but without the booster (and maybe even with) the spread it still too great.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#90 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:44 pm

therealbig3 wrote:We gotta take a step back as fans and look at this from a human perspective. Does it make sense to change rules to accommodate a basketball player when public safety is at risk? Like come on.

Kyrie shouldn’t be anywhere near a basketball court until he gets vaccinated. Period. There should be no lifting of any mandates. Should be stricter if anything.

its not about Kyrie. the city should not give a flying F about singular athletes.

Its about the residents of NYC. can you keep healthy symptomatic people out of work, shut down restaurants again? The original strains the data supported these things. the new variant we dont have alot of data on but what we do have looks alot closer to the flu then it does the original strain
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#91 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:47 pm

LOUiS-D wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Before some clown footed dipsh*t undercut both of his feet on an uncontested layup this guy was the incisive, ass kicking 2nd option leading us to a championship. To say anything less is hating.

Kyrie was our most reliable player last year and had arguably the best season in Nets history, followed by a great playoffs until Giannis dirty play took him out.

also "Every single season"

its been 2 years.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#92 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

They are not going to drop the mandate while cases are on the rise, it doesn't matter if Omicron is less severe for vaccinated people. You still have to worry about the unvaccinated and the immunocompromised.

I think it does matter and i think there is a threshold where you need to accept risk for unvaxxed/unhealthy people. unvaccinated and unhealthy people were at risk before COVID. getting the flu or even a common cold could lead to pnuemonia and kill them. prolong stay in the hospital could give them staff and kill them.

When the risk of omicron is within the parameters of the risk of the flu you have to ask yourself how much further you go shutting down the world. we may NEVER see COVID being as/less dangerous to the immunocompromised then the flu and it becomes the new threshold for acceptable risk where we look to protect those with remedies and solutions (Pills already in development) instead of shutting down the country ... for the indefinite future.

COVID is scary because of what it did/is/can do. But it is also scary because all we know it to be is scary.

If you look at the data from delta and omicron and compare that risk to the risk of things we have lived with the last 50 years, it becomes alot less scary.

its like, people are scared of airplanes but not cars... get in a car everyday but wont fly. cars are 100000 times more deadly by the math. we dont ban flying though because of that fear, because the math doesnt justify it

now/soon/unless things chang i dont think that math will continue to warrant the stricter shutdowns and mandates
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#93 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Not sure how you can be so definitive on that. The point of the vaccine mandate is to control spread. It's clear that vaccination is not limiting the transmission of Omicron. While it may limit the severity if you catch it, that may not be enough to justify keeping the current mandate in place as written. Should a new vaccine come about that is effective in reducing transmission of Omicron, then implementing a mandate for that vaccine makes a bit more sense.

I think it does matter and i think there is a threshold where you need to accept risk for unvaxxed/unhealthy people. unvaccinated and unhealthy people were at risk before COVID. getting the flu or even a common cold could lead to pnuemonia and kill them. prolong stay in the hospital could give them staff and kill them.

When the risk of omicron is within the parameters of the risk of the flu you have to ask yourself how much further you go shutting down the world. we may NEVER see COVID being as/less dangerous to the immunocompromised then the flu and it becomes the new threshold for acceptable risk where we look to protect those with remedies and solutions (Pills already in development) instead of shutting down the country ... for the indefinite future.

COVID is scary because of what it did/is/can do. But it is also scary because all we know it to be is scary.

If you look at the data from delta and omicron and compare that risk to the risk of things we have lived with the last 50 years, it becomes alot less scary.

its like, people are scared of airplanes but not cars... get in a car everyday but wont fly. cars are 100000 times more deadly by the math. we dont ban flying though because of that fear, because the math doesnt justify it

now/soon/unless things chang i dont think that math will continue to warrant the stricter shutdowns and mandates

There is not enough data to determine that omicron = the flu. Not yet anyway, I think that's very premature especially when data came out from the UK yesterday indicating that Omicron isn't showing to be less severe than the Delta strain:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-infections-appear-no-less-severe-than-delta-covid-19-lowers-sperm-count-2021-12-20/

As of right now, with cases climbing and uncertainty regarding the severity of this new strain, it would be a terrible idea for NYC to ease restrictions right now.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#94 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:26 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

There is not enough data to determine that omicron = the flu. Not yet anyway, I think that's very premature especially when data came out from the UK yesterday indicating that Omicron isn't showing to be less severe than the Delta strain:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-infections-appear-no-less-severe-than-delta-covid-19-lowers-sperm-count-2021-12-20/

As of right now, with cases climbing and uncertainty regarding the severity of this new strain, it would be a terrible idea for NYC to ease restrictions right now.

The question wasnt now, the question was for the playoffs/by march.

The city will soon be faced with complete shutdown or loosening restrictions. Adams needs to make a choice. Im not sure what he will do. Hard to shutdown if the math doesnt support it and the mandate is helping prevent spread.

CDC, the president, everyone seems to be prepping us that everyone is going to get this new strain.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#95 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Fauci said today that we will soon learn to live with COVID like we do the flu

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-americans-will-likely-live-with-coronavirus-like-cold-flu-2021-12

Its not over or endemic yet, but we arent far away. either because everyone gets infected or everyone gets vaccinated
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#96 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The city will soon be faced with complete shutdown or loosening restrictions. Adams needs to make a choice. Im not sure what he will do. Hard to shutdown if the math doesnt support it and the mandate is helping prevent spread.

CDC, the president, everyone seems to be prepping us that everyone is going to get this new strain.

Hospitalizations are up currently by 86% in NYC as of two weeks ago, so for now, and next month, I don't think Adams makes changes. When we hit April, hopefully the situation is better.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#97 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Hospitalizations are up currently by 86% in NYC as of two weeks ago, so for now, and next month, I don't think Adams makes changes. When we hit April, hopefully the situation is better.

I think he will, and here is why....

-The vaccines are not preventing spread. 98% of the NBA is vaccinated and its shutting down the entire league.
-Testing is more valuable then vaccines at the moment (vaccines are still super valuable)

given that asymptomatic spread to vaccinated people is so rampant right now, testing is the more valuable tool. i can see the mandate switching to testing.... it could also go to testing + vaccine though so who knows.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#98 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Malika interviewed Adam Silver

-No plans to pause the season.

-Malika questioned him on why protocols (upping testing) aren't happening now as opposed to post Christmas.

So, no stoppage and teams will have to labor through this.

-they are looking to shorten the ten day window. if someone tests negative, they should play. no reason to wait.

-65% of the league's vaccinated players are boosted, and there's only been a small % of breakthrough cases for that group (all asymptomatic, which is FANTASTIC news). That says to me that some of our guys were not on top of their game with getting a booster. That should be a no brainer. 30% of the league got the JnJ shot, it is imperative to get a booster shot from Pfizer or Moderna.

This may be a blessing in disguise for us, as long as everyone doesn't have any long haul issues (Kyrie, LMA), hopefully we should be able to finish out the season without another outbreak.

HardenGoat
Analyst
And1: 2,445

Post#99 » by HardenGoat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:10 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

-Malika questioned him on why protocols (upping testing) aren't happening now as opposed to post Christmas.

-they are looking to shorten the ten day window. if someone tests negative, they should play. no reason to wait.

-65% of the league's vaccinated players are boosted, and there's only been a small % of breakthrough cases for that group (all asymptomatic, which is FANTASTIC news). That says to me that some of our guys were not on top of their game with getting a booster. That should be a no brainer. 30% of the league got the JnJ shot, it is imperative to get a booster shot from Pfizer or Moderna.

This may be a blessing in disguise for us, as long as everyone doesn't have any long haul issues (Kyrie, LMA), hopefully we should be able to finish out the season without another outbreak.

Well put. As fast as this is spreading it should a one and done thing through the holidays. Glad we got the postponements when we did, our guys can enjoy family time assuming they are mostly asymptomatic. Not sure about Kyrie if he's hurting but it's hopefully the Omicron variant which is much less symptomatic/damaging and basically like getting vaccinated as far as the immune system goes.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#100 » by Prokorov » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:53 am

HardenGoat wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well put. As fast as this is spreading it should a one and done thing through the holidays. Glad we got the postponements when we did, our guys can enjoy family time assuming they are mostly asymptomatic. Not sure about Kyrie if he's hurting but it's hopefully the Omicron variant which is much less symptomatic/damaging and basically like getting vaccinated as far as the immune system goes.

I'm not worried about Kyrie. he was asymptomatic and regardless of strain a fit 29 year old with no health issues is like less then 1% risk for complications. it may even be good, he can apply for a 60-day exception to the vaccine mandate and when that ends, plant based vaccine should be out. We could be looking at Kyrie away AND home games from january on or at least until march if he gets that exception.

Return to Brooklyn Nets