GT: Clippers @ Nets 1/1/22 - 7:30

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: GT: Clippers @ Nets 1/1/22 - 7:30 

Post#101 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:52 am

Jay555 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I'm no Nash defender. But sometimes hes a bit of a scapegoat.

We had a 13 point lead with 4 minutes left. Thats on our guys to protect it. I don't care if we lost Mills.

KD/Harden vs G Leaguers.

Harden specifically went full Westbrook. Idiotic passes that led to turnovers. Ill-avised 3s. Wouldn't pass to KD.

Defense was just stupid all around too. But they made some tough shots.

This reminds me of last year when we would just blow games at the end.

Hopefully this loss wakes us up. Need to be smarter and not make so many stupid mistakes.

That’s what Harden gives you when he’s gassed. I know full well as a former Rocket fan. You just can’t play him the whole 4th quarter.

Did you realise Harden played 40mins(4 games over 40 mins in a row) and Durant with 38mins? And we were on a near 8 man rotation with the 9th guy Blake logging 9 mins only, against a team that’s on their back to back. How about some mins for the rooks? Some mins for Cam or Edwards would not hurt. At least they bring some energy off the bench and are more hungry. Are they no longer gonna play now that everyone’s back?

Having said that, there is no excuse. But I do wonder if Nash is the right guy. I have been pretty lenient on him but have lost patience gradually. Harden’s after match comment does not sound right and I am afraid he’s gonna walk if we don’t win a chip this year.

Harden playing poorly at the tail end of big minutes, and letting him play big minutes is a coaching issue to then if true (i dont know the numbers on it).

In either event, if you nee 78 minutes from KD/Harden to beat a pacer team without 4 starters on the tail end of a back to back on the road, you flat out are an embarrassment.

We should have won this game by 22 after being up 30+ for stretches and had a laughable halftime lead. instead it was mostly close-ish and we blew a 13 point late lead.

did we lack shooters with patty out? i guess. was KD/Harden gassed? maybe... but i mean most coaches in the league find a way to win without 2 stars fresh + 3 floor spacers around them at all times. in fact, most of the coaches have to win without that.

Nash couldnt find a way to coach his team to a win over glueagers and 10-day guys up 13 at home with the clips on a back to back.

to then come out and throw your team under the bus in the post game makes it even worse
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#102 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:55 am

Also, i wouldnt just expect Kyrie to fix everything. Our coaching puts us in big disadvantages and keeps opponents in games. i dont think @pacers is a lock win even with Kyrie. and the Grizz game looks like a blowout loss.

This team has hit a massive low point. im only hoping there is stuff behind the scenes that leads to nash being fired
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 857

Post#103 » by Jay555 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:26 am

Prokorov wrote:Also, i wouldnt just expect Kyrie to fix everything. Our coaching puts us in big disadvantages and keeps opponents in games. i dont think @pacers is a lock win even with Kyrie. and the Grizz game looks like a blowout loss.

This team has hit a massive low point. im only hoping there is stuff behind the scenes that leads to nash being fired

Harden being unhappy would be a start.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#104 » by gigantes » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:48 am

Prokorov wrote:Also, i wouldnt just expect Kyrie to fix everything. Our coaching puts us in big disadvantages and keeps opponents in games. i dont think @pacers is a lock win even with Kyrie. and the Grizz game looks like a blowout loss.

Was it you or maybe someone else who mentioned Chef Curry / Warriors above?

Friggin' Curry and the Dubs are so far ahead of this team, it's criminal. They feature this beautiful job of movement and dynamic, heads-up play on both sides of the ball. So nice to watch.

Meanwhile, the Nets typically rely on bailouts and 'super-plays'. The more I watch, the more embarrassing it's getting. And my background is street-ballin'!

IMO the current Nets are a fun, all-star team (even beyond the big three) that will be a good little challenge for far more cohesive teams to entertain, then send packing away.

Right now, it's going to be a real job getting past PHI, CHI, CLE and MIA to represent the East, and then we'd be facing an utter assassin from the West (likely not you, LeBron). We'd win maybe two games, then go back to our fancy rings and taking our wives / GF's out to fine eats. Enjoy it, brothers.
Jay555
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by Jay555 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 9:22 am

gigantes wrote:

Friggin' Curry and the Dubs are so far ahead of this team, it's criminal. They feature this beautiful job of movement and dynamic, heads-up play on both sides of the ball. So nice to watch.

Meanwhile, the Nets typically rely on bailouts and 'super-plays'. The more I watch, the more embarrassing it's getting. And my background is street-ballin'!

IMO the current Nets are a fun, all-star team (even beyond the big three) that will be a good little challenge for far more cohesive teams to entertain, then send packing away.

Right now, it's going to be a real job getting past PHI, CHI, CLE and MIA to represent the East, and then we'd be facing an utter assassin from the West (likely not you, LeBron). We'd win maybe two games, then go back to our fancy rings and taking our wives / GF's out to fine eats. Enjoy it, brothers.

Stop..

Assuming Kyrie can play unrestrictedly, our only threat in the East is MIL. I like what I have seen from CHI but they are kinda young and Derozan is a known playoff choker who plays small in the playoffs.

Warriors are intriguing but they need Klay to be 70%-80% of what he was to top the West. Otherwise, I would not count on their supporting cast to come up big in the playoffs. Their flashy plays might be effective in regular seasons but playoff is a different animal when physicality is allowed which would work against their playing style.

If Kyrie can play all playoff games and we are fully healthy, I like our chances. But that's a BIG if. We have a lot of work to do..I do wish luck is with us this year.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,864

Post#106 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 2, 2022 11:53 am

Prokorov wrote:
Jay555 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I'm no Nash defender. But sometimes hes a bit of a scapegoat.

We had a 13 point lead with 4 minutes left. Thats on our guys to protect it. I don't care if we lost Mills.

KD/Harden vs G Leaguers.

Harden specifically went full Westbrook. Idiotic passes that led to turnovers. Ill-avised 3s. Wouldn't pass to KD.

Hopefully this loss wakes us up. Need to be smarter and not make so many stupid mistakes.

That’s what Harden gives you when he’s gassed. I know full well as a former Rocket fan. You just can’t play him the whole 4th quarter.

Did you realise Harden played 40mins(4 games over 40 mins in a row) and Durant with 38mins? And we were on a near 8 man rotation with the 9th guy Blake logging 9 mins only, against a team that’s on their back to back. How about some mins for the rooks? Some mins for Cam or Edwards would not hurt. At least they bring some energy off the bench and are more hungry. Are they no longer gonna play now that everyone’s back?

Having said that, there is no excuse. But I do wonder if Nash is the right guy. I have been pretty lenient on him but have lost patience gradually. Harden’s after match comment does not sound right and I am afraid he’s gonna walk if we don’t win a chip this year.

Harden playing poorly at the tail end of big minutes, and letting him play big minutes is a coaching issue to then if true (i dont know the numbers on it).

In either event, if you nee 78 minutes from KD/Harden to beat a pacer team without 4 starters on the tail end of a back to back on the road, you flat out are an embarrassment.

We should have won this game by 22 after being up 30+ for stretches and had a laughable halftime lead. instead it was mostly close-ish and we blew a 13 point late lead.

did we lack shooters with patty out? i guess. was KD/Harden gassed? maybe... but i mean most coaches in the league find a way to win without 2 stars fresh + 3 floor spacers around them at all times. in fact, most of the coaches have to win without that.

Nash couldnt find a way to coach his team to a win over glueagers and 10-day guys up 13 at home with the clips on a back to back.

to then come out and throw your team under the bus in the post game makes it even worse

Half time lead was only 53 to 49. I don't recall at any point of the game where we were up by 30 points. We got out scored 40 to 29 in Q4.

There was no reason for Nash to keep such a tight rotation, playing Brown and Bembry 40+ mins, or going to Johnson at C when Claxton was playing out of his mind. He lazily put KD and Harden out there with no shooters and expected them to score with guys blanketing them.

Brown and Bembry are redundant. They shouldn't be on the floor together. Kessler Edwards has showed that he can knock down open looks.

Harden’s not stupid. He made that remark about spacing deliberately. That was all on Nash.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#107 » by MGrand15 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 6:33 pm

I just don't understand this team. Spacing was NEVER a problem last year. I guess that was the Dantoni influence? Bruce and Clax barely played together at all last year. Because this year it seems to not matter. I knew we were in trouble when we went to that dumb lineup to start the Philly game. Just showed that the coaching staff is completely lost.

I don't get if team politics are getting in the way but none of this makes sense. Unless it's a blowout, Harden and KD are scheduled to play 40 minutes a game. During this COVID stretch, we've proved we're legitimately 10-11 deep. Why do the stars need to play 40 minutes against the undermanned Clippers on New Years Day? The Clippers were literally playing the 10 day contract guys who we cut.

Nash got a lot of hate last year that i mostly felt was unfair. This year he's coaching the team completely different. It's actually hard to evaluate the team because it feels like we're handicapping ourselves randomly.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#108 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jan 2, 2022 6:50 pm

Jay555 wrote:

KD/Harden vs G Leaguers.

All Harden had to do was pass it to KD.

Instead of taking a dumb 3. Thats just poor decision making. Not being tired.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#109 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jan 2, 2022 6:51 pm

If Mills is out our shooting falls off a cliff.

This is again why I was so pissed about the Shamet trade. No Kyrie/Harris. Then we have nothing in the back court.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#110 » by NetsWorld » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:17 pm

I’m slowly getting convinced that KD will need a different star to team up with next season. Harden is constantly making lazy passes causing turnovers and Kyrie is not dependable to play for the Nets when they need him. Marks needs to fix and retool this damn team next year. As much as I support the team, I just can’t see us beating the Bucks; no way and no how. They are just so dominant right now. No continuity, no consistency, no sense of urgency, we won’t get passed the second round like this abd KD’s comments more than affirm what I just said and KD is right. I think that was all built up frustration from Hardens on and off season coupled with Kyrie staying home instead of building chemistry with the big three. Good job Ky and Harden.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#111 » by GTR11 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:51 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:If Mills is out our shooting falls off a cliff.

This is again why I was so pissed about the Shamet trade. No Kyrie/Harris. Then we have nothing in the back court.

Shamet only had one + month of good shooting while being complete liability on the half of the court. He was kaka for most part.

No one seen Joe getting hurt and missing this much time. If anything he was definition of iron man.

It's more than personal, it's coaching. Unlike KD Harden actually needs friendly system. We suck only because he was hurt and we still don't have damn system. We not going to freestyle our way to chip, only moron will buy into it. We got top talent, got more than enough, we just don't have system. I mean fo f*** sake our best players don't have a clue how to run offense while both on the court at the same time. Shamet not going to fix that.
Jay555
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by Jay555 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:35 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Jay555 wrote:

KD/Harden vs G Leaguers.

What’s wrong with taking that 3? Durant was doubled team. It’s not like he took a contested 3. He was open. It just didnot go in. What if it went in? All these “post game analysis” would not have existed. What if KD took it and it didnot go in? I am fine with either Harden or KD taking the shots at the end because the other three cant shoot and KD can’t do it all by himself while being doubled team.

This is exactly what I meant. Harden was spent. If he had legs, he would/could have made the shot. If you watch the tape, he asked to be substituted twice in the 4th quarter and Nash said no. Mike ‘Dantoni is known to have short rotation but Harden was around 36-37 mins average under him. Nash takes it to another level. Without playing his stars for 40+ mins, he has no idea what to do. Maybe he doesnot coach after all. Anyways, rant over.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#113 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:40 pm

Jay555 wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Stop..

Assuming Kyrie can play unrestrictedly, our only threat in the East is MIL. I like what I have seen from CHI but they are kinda young and Derozan is a known playoff choker who plays small in the playoffs.

Warriors are intriguing but they need Klay to be 70%-80% of what he was to top the West. Otherwise, I would not count on their supporting cast to come up big in the playoffs. Their flashy plays might be effective in regular seasons but playoff is a different animal when physicality is allowed which would work against their playing style.

If Kyrie can play all playoff games and we are fully healthy, I like our chances. But that's a BIG if. We have a lot of work to do..I do wish luck is with us this year.

We will be right there. ECF or NBA finals. but nash is going to get badly outcoached to the point where even KD/Kyrie/Harden cant overcome it.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#114 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:45 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Half time lead was only 53 to 49. I don't recall at any point of the game where we were up by 30 points. We got out scored 40 to 29 in Q4.

you mis intepreted what i was saying... i was saying we should have had a huge halftime lead and been up 30 at some point.

There was no reason for Nash to keep such a tight rotation, playing Brown and Bembry 40+ mins, or going to Johnson at C when Claxton was playing out of his mind. He lazily put KD and Harden out there with no shooters and expected them to score with guys blanketing them.

Brown and Bembry are redundant. They shouldn't be on the floor together. Kessler Edwards has showed that he can knock down open looks.

Harden’s not stupid. He made that remark about spacing deliberately. That was all on Nash.

I agree 100%. at the same time, look who the clippers had out there?! James ennis, Gallman, Justice Winslow, Amir Coffee, Bledsoe, Jackson. It isnt like they had ANY all-star players ANY size, or tons and tons of shooting on the floor at all 5 spots.

should we have had more spacing? yeah? were the lineups bad? yeah.

but even with all that we should have smashed them. we were up 13 midway in the 4th and they had no legs, no size, and no talent.

They were doubling KD and Harden on the catch. yeah maybe you give up some turnovers but this is the NBA. you should be getting mostly layups when that happens. no matter who is on the floor. we had a ton of timeouts to use too.

Figure something else out besides KD in the mid baseline post up or harden top of the key iso.

Nash just rolls a ball out and expects the stars to do it with no coaching or adjustments, then kills the team in the postgame when they dont
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#115 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:48 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I just don't understand this team. Spacing was NEVER a problem last year. I guess that was the Dantoni influence? Bruce and Clax barely played together at all last year. Because this year it seems to not matter. I knew we were in trouble when we went to that dumb lineup to start the Philly game. Just showed that the coaching staff is completely lost.

I don't get if team politics are getting in the way but none of this makes sense. Unless it's a blowout, Harden and KD are scheduled to play 40 minutes a game. During this COVID stretch, we've proved we're legitimately 10-11 deep. Why do the stars need to play 40 minutes against the undermanned Clippers on New Years Day? The Clippers were literally playing the 10 day contract guys who we cut.

Nash got a lot of hate last year that i mostly felt was unfair. This year he's coaching the team completely different. It's actually hard to evaluate the team because it feels like we're handicapping ourselves randomly.

In Nash's own words, the stars have to play 40 because we cant win otherwise.

In my opinion, its true, because he cant orchestrate an effective offense without 1-2 all-nba stars on the floor at all times. He doesnt see the game the same from the sideline and he either doesnt or is too slow to adjust.

And if nashs thing is he is great managing players but X's and Os arent his strong suit then he needs to be better at getting these guys up to play every night and going hard for 48 minutes.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#116 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:52 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Jay555 wrote:

KD/Harden vs G Leaguers.

Not sure what possession you are referring too... im sure there were dumb Harden threes. But I remember one YOLO bomb with 3 on the shot clock after he tried for 12 seconds to enter it to a posting KD with a guy fronting and help showing on the backside.

Thats part of our problem. the basline post is the easiest to front and easist to double because you have the endline as a defender. In the milwaukee series i hated it cause PJ would make every catch tough but we kept making KD work harder then he had to.

There are dozens of ways to get a guy the ball... and most apply to KD since he is 7 foot and is pretty agile. but we only use 3.
-midbaseline post
-dribble hand off
-pin down

The first is easy for the defense to double. the next 2 are really easy to switch. none of it is comlex. no multiple screens. no involving bigs and smalls. no double moves or back cuts. no using the defenses aggressivess against them.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#117 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:54 pm

KD35Netted wrote:I’m slowly getting convinced that KD will need a different star to team up with next season. Harden is constantly making lazy passes causing turnovers and Kyrie is not dependable to play for the Nets when they need him. Marks needs to fix and retool this damn team next year. As much as I support the team, I just can’t see us beating the Bucks; no way and no how. They are just so dominant right now. No continuity, no consistency, no sense of urgency, we won’t get passed the second round like this abd KD’s comments more than affirm what I just said and KD is right. I think that was all built up frustration from Hardens on and off season coupled with Kyrie staying home instead of building chemistry with the big three. Good job Ky and Harden.

I'm not worried about the Bucks. im confident we would beat them this year even with similar injuries to last year cause we are deeper. I worry about Miami, Cleveland, Philly if they got something for simmons. and GSW.

If KDs toe is 1 inch back we are again talking about how giannis is a playoff liability.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#118 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:57 pm

Jay555 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Jay555 wrote:

What’s wrong with taking that 3? Durant was doubled team. It’s not like he took a contested 3. He was open. It just didnot go in. What if it went in? All these “post game analysis” would not have existed. What if KD took it and it didnot go in? I am fine with either Harden or KD taking the shots at the end because the other three cant shoot and KD can’t do it all by himself while being doubled team.

This is exactly what I meant. Harden was spent. If he had legs, he would/could have made the shot. If you watch the tape, he asked to be substituted twice in the 4th quarter and Nash said no. Mike ‘Dantoni is known to have short rotation but Harden was around 36-37 mins average under him. Nash takes it to another level. Without playing his stars for 40+ mins, he has no idea what to do. Maybe he doesnot coach after all. Anyways, rant over.

Up 13 with 6 minutes to play... they cut it to 8 or 9. take a timeout.
-give KD/Harden a quick breath
-communicate to your team that the only way they beat us is if we turn it over, protect the ball
-call the next 3 plays in the huddle. make them safe.
-Insert claxton
-end the timeout with the agreement you intend to win this game on the defensive end.

up 13 if we dont turn it over we dont lose. if we defend we dont lose.

instead it was like "well KD is out there so we will somehow figure it out"
Jay555
Sixth Man

Post#119 » by Jay555 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 9:04 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Jay555 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Up 13 with 6 minutes to play... they cut it to 8 or 9. take a timeout.
-give KD/Harden a quick breath
-communicate to your team that the only way they beat us is if we turn it over, protect the ball
-call the next 3 plays in the huddle. make them safe.
-Insert claxton
-end the timeout with the agreement you intend to win this game on the defensive end.

up 13 if we dont turn it over we dont lose. if we defend we dont lose.

instead it was like "well KD is out there so we will somehow figure it out"

Yep, can only hope Nash would improve as he learns because he ain’t gonna be replaced.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#120 » by Sharcm1 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 9:08 pm

Is it problem that harden cannot catch and shoot? He’s really bad at it. Seems the only threes he can hit is dribble dribble dribble step back or side

Return to Brooklyn Nets