Spurs @ Nets - 12:00 - 1/9/22

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Re: Spurs @ Nets - 12:00 - 1/9/22 

Post#121 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Kessler Edwards needs to be in the rotation. The guy knocks down his open looks, hit the glass and also blocked a shot. He made a couple of errors today but nothing to scream about, he's a rookie after all. But he needs to play.

I will say he and the other rookies are picking up some bad habits tied to the vets and our pace of play. It's far more noticeable in person than on TV. They casually stroll/jog to the corners or wings not looking at the ball, expecting Harden or KD to just pound the ball for a bit. There were a few very avoidable turnovers simply caused because Kessler and Cam were not ready for the pass. They're not alone. It's a far cry from the Kidd days where we were fast paced and everyone had to expect the ball at any time.

The entire offense is watching KD and Harden pound the ball and the only time you should expect a pass is when they need to be bailed out with 3 secs left on the clock

I'm watching how the Warriors play. They get into their sets quick and guys move around. Everybody touches the ball, guys aren't just standing still. Different sets every time down. The Nets offense is basically YMCA basketball.

We aren't beating them. Not with how we play offensively and how sloppy we are, and our defense isn't good enough to make up for it. Add the fact that Kyrie is a part time player, we might as well be honest. We are probably looking at a 2nd rd knockout as a best case scenario
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 860

Post#122 » by Jay555 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:32 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Kessler Edwards needs to be in the rotation. The guy knocks down his open looks, hit the glass and also blocked a shot. He made a couple of errors today but nothing to scream about, he's a rookie after all. But he needs to play.

I will say he and the other rookies are picking up some bad habits tied to the vets and our pace of play. It's far more noticeable in person than on TV. They casually stroll/jog to the corners or wings not looking at the ball, expecting Harden or KD to just pound the ball for a bit. There were a few very avoidable turnovers simply caused because Kessler and Cam were not ready for the pass. They're not alone. It's a far cry from the Kidd days where we were fast paced and everyone had to expect the ball at any time.

The entire offense is watching KD and Harden pound the ball and the only time you should expect a pass is when they need to be bailed out with 3 secs left on the clock

I'm watching how the Warriors play. They get into their sets quick and guys move around. Everybody touches the ball, guys aren't just standing still. Different sets every time down. The Nets offense is basically YMCA basketball.

We aren't beating them. Not with how we play offensively and how sloppy we are, and our defense isn't good enough to make up for it. Add the fact that Kyrie is a part time player, we might as well be honest. We are probably looking at a 2nd rd knockout as a best case scenario

-Replace Nash or Nash suddenly "gets" it
-Kyrie somehow goes full time

That's your only hope.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#123 » by NetsWorld » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 am

Forget about the Warriors, they have to worry about Suns, Jazz, Grizzlies and potentially the Clippers with PG and Kawhi. We have to worry about beating Bulls,Bucks and Heat.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#124 » by Pablo Escobar » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:20 am

MrDollarBills wrote:The entire offense is watching KD and Harden pound the ball and the only time you should expect a pass is when they need to be bailed out with 3 secs left on the clock

Bro, Kd and Harden love that style of play. When Kd was on the Warriors he clashed quite a few times with Kerr and their staff because they kept telling him about ball movement. He has been an iso guy since he was the man at Okc, Scott Brooks just let him clear out and do whatever he wanted, same with Westbrook. Kd is super efficient and one of the goat scorers so it's easier to swallow, but he struggles at times when he gets doubled hard and usually ends up in a turnover. Harden just dribbles the air out of the ball and when he seems to have lost a step it's more difficult to accept that type of style.

I watched and was baffled at the lame screen attempts and the lack of movement on the offensive end. The lack of fluidity in the offense is tough to watch and defensively teams can get to the rim at will or get open 3s. Nash deserves blame but when your main guys want to play that iso style and less ball movement you're kind of fk'd. And I doubt he can even try to instill an offense without being brushed off by the stars. And like you said, the Kyrie experiment can't continue during the season, either he gets the shot or he gets traded.
Plata o Plomo?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#125 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:47 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The entire offense is watching KD and Harden pound the ball and the only time you should expect a pass is when they need to be bailed out with 3 secs left on the clock

Bro, Kd and Harden love that style of play. When Kd was on the Warriors he clashed quite a few times with Kerr and their staff because they kept telling him about ball movement. He has been an iso guy since he was the man at Okc, Scott Brooks just let him clear out and do whatever he wanted, same with Westbrook. Kd is super efficient and one of the goat scorers so it's easier to swallow, but he struggles at times when he gets doubled hard and usually ends up in a turnover. Harden just dribbles the air out of the ball and when he seems to have lost a step it's more difficult to accept that type of style.

I watched and was baffled at the lame screen attempts and the lack of movement on the offensive end. The lack of fluidity in the offense is tough to watch and defensively teams can get to the rim at will or get open 3s. Nash deserves blame but when your main guys want to play that iso style and less ball movement you're kind of fk'd. And I doubt he can even try to instill an offense without being brushed off by the stars. And like you said, the Kyrie experiment can't continue during the season, either he gets the shot or he gets traded.

Agreed. KD and Harden love iso.

It works 1000x better when you have shooters though. Right now they have no **** shooters to pass it too.

Mills is only making it worse by being off.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#126 » by Pablo Escobar » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:04 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote: Agreed. KD and Harden love iso.

It works 1000x better when you have shooters though. Right now they have no **** shooters to pass it too.

Yes, especially for Harden. Drive and kick will give him a wide open lane, he also needs a Capella type to throw lobs to. Add that element he either gets a clear path for a layup or a floater. He needs to step up though he seems a step slow and disinterested. He has never been a guy who was hesitant on his moves so not sure what's up. You got Mills, Harris and a partial Kyrie. Kessler is a rook and he seems like a good shooter. Out of that bunch though in the post season you're going to have a ton of holes on defense to cover for. It seems like the front office built the team on having the big 3 go nuclear and sprinkle in a few shooters and whatever deficiencies are there will be covered up by the offensive juggernaut.
Plata o Plomo?
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#127 » by GYK » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 am

Play like the Warriors?
Suns don’t. Jazz don’t. They play like the Rockets.
Either way we have terrible fit for personnel. We played 5 players who didn’t take a 3. 6 if you don’t count Blake’s 1. Out of 11.
We are PnR team. That’s our stars skillset and our offensive identity. We don’t have spacing, dislodging screening or threatening roll men.
Why would playing like the Dubs benefit us at all? The teams currently successful cause the stars, they been successful elsewhere so why isn’t the role players around them talent is less than other teams and don’t support them?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#128 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:43 pm

KD35Netted wrote:Forget about the Warriors, they have to worry about Suns, Jazz, Grizzlies and potentially the Clippers with PG and Kawhi. We have to worry about beating Bulls,Bucks and Heat.

I don't see us beating any of those 3 teams. We most likely would get swept by the Bulls and Bucks.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#129 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:

Agreed. KD and Harden love iso.

Most of Mills shots are contested and he's having to shoot them off balance.

That's not his fault.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#130 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:45 pm

GYK wrote:Play like the Warriors?
Either way we have terrible fit for personnel. We played 5 players who didn’t take a 3. 6 if you don’t count Blake’s 1. Out of 11.
We are PnR team. That’s our stars skillset and our offensive identity. We don’t have spacing, dislodging screening or threatening roll men.
Why would playing like the Dubs benefit us at all? The teams currently successful cause the stars, they been successful elsewhere so why isn’t the role players around them talent is less than other teams and don’t support them?

We don't have to play like the Warriors but the way we are playing now isn't conducive to winning.

NetsWorld
Starter

Post#131 » by NetsWorld » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:20 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
KD35Netted wrote:Forget about the Warriors, they have to worry about Suns, Jazz, Grizzlies and potentially the Clippers with PG and Kawhi. We have to worry about beating Bulls,Bucks and Heat.

I don't see us beating any of those 3 teams. We most likely would get swept by the Bulls and Bucks.

Swept is a stretch, it will be 6 games but not competitive enough. If Kyrie is back full time and heathy, then it would be Nets in 5 or 6. But the way we play at home, it will kill us and most likely could lose two straight at home in the playoffs. Sad isn’t it?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#132 » by MGrand15 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm

This game had a lot of bad. A lot of the usual stuff that's been going on all year. Nash not calling timeouts when the team is about to go on a run, giving up nice leads, poor energy to start at home. Harden's numbers were good but I haven't been feeling good about his play style or how he runs the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence he's been TERRIBLE against good teams in the league.

I'll take the longer rotation as a win. Duke has been getting some hate (deserved IMO) but I'm fine with giving him a chance. He shot 40% from 3 in college. He's active on defense + the glass. He's an athlete and can handle a bit. In theory, that's a great guy for the starting lineup. I like playing the young guys - especially Edwards. Look, if we're going to be sloppy, I'd 10000% rather do it while playing young guys and getting them experience. If one of them turns into a legit rotation player - that's a huge W. Edwards specifically looks like the exact backup forward we need.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#133 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Was there any reason given for why Brown was a DNP?
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#134 » by NetsWorld » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:17 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Was there any reason given for why Brown was a DNP?

The answer was given many times :D :D Nash cannot figure out rotations and balancing playing time.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#135 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:28 pm

MGrand15 wrote:This game had a lot of bad. A lot of the usual stuff that's been going on all year. Nash not calling timeouts when the team is about to go on a run, giving up nice leads, poor energy to start at home. Harden's numbers were good but I haven't been feeling good about his play style or how he runs the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence he's been TERRIBLE against good teams in the league.

I'll take the longer rotation as a win. Duke has been getting some hate (deserved IMO) but I'm fine with giving him a chance. He shot 40% from 3 in college. He's active on defense + the glass. He's an athlete and can handle a bit. In theory, that's a great guy for the starting lineup. I like playing the young guys - especially Edwards. Look, if we're going to be sloppy, I'd 10000% rather do it while playing young guys and getting them experience. If one of them turns into a legit rotation player - that's a huge W. Edwards specifically looks like the exact backup forward we need.

If we can stomach Harden and KD's mindnumbing turnovers in their 30s, I can live with the few mistakes I saw yesterday from the kids.

We need to be playing 10 guys a night at minimum.

GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#136 » by GYK » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
GYK wrote:Play like the Warriors?

We don't have to play like the Warriors but the way we are playing now isn't conducive to winning.

Yes I understand the frustration. But my point is we have been playing like this all season. Including last season. We are just losing right now. It’s a star league and they get credit for wins and loses. But for how they have played they don’t deserve the blame for the skid. Winning has been masking up our faults. When we lose they should have glaring to everyone.
Last year we had spacing but this year very little to none. The 3ball is a team shot and we are currently waiting for one extreme shooter to return, it’s not the answer.
We have a good Defensive Rating but with this skid and our blowouts by all the contenders it should be clear we don’t defend well. Durant should never be the best defender on a team let alone a go to defender. I don’t think there’s a team around who wouldn’t prioritize a defense around a Harden/Kyrie backcourt. We don’t have the personnel to defend the perimeter or post. We still don’t rebound well. It’s strictly due to size because we like guard ball. Warriors were mentioned and the clear defense between the teams are 3&D wings(small but not miniature) and a willingness to spend even with 3 max contracts. But even in comparison to cheaper teams like the Suns or Jazz(also PnR teams) they prioritized fit over everything. Strong rim protecting roll men for their ball handlers. No perimeter players are allowed on their roster who can’t shoot. Suns having more perimeter defense and the Jazz an all time paint protector. Even now with health and safety players for both teams are coming in and out yet because of their skillsets they prioritized rim protector roll men and 3&D players are plugged.
We failed at roster construction and that’s always been this team problem. We have the 3 so we should win no matter who or what is around them. It’s just not the case. It will never be the case. Especially when they don’t defend and shoot for your stars. It’s an OKC level team.

Return to Brooklyn Nets