ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 41,404
And1: 13,979
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#261 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:39 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Jay555 wrote:
Exactly what I meant. Something is off and no one knows what is up behind closed doors.



Let me phrase this another way to attempt to de-mystify;

What team can you remember in NBA history that won a title with it's top 3 players (yes I'm including Kyrie) all being mediocre to flat out bad defenders?

I can't think of any example. No matter what the other guys try to do, the high minute guys are giving little to nothing - so the only recipe to win is to ALWAYS outscore. Every night. That's just not sustainable.


This is just complete nonsense.

KD is a good defender. And can be great when he isn't asked to carry an entire offense.

Kyrie is average at worst. Can be good.

Harden yes is bad. But can be decent when it matters.

We were a far worse defensive team last year. And looked incredible until the injuries. Were destroying the Bucks in the playoffs in fact.

If you look at our playoff defense it was elite.


Yeah its the same tired lazy narrative we keep hearing about defense. We werent a bad defensive team last year. people look at points allowed without watching or looking deeper and then get twitter fingers.

Last year we were one of the best in the league at forcing stops. our points allowed were inflated by:
-garbage points late
-points off live ball turnovers (offensive issue, not defensive)
-Second chance points (a bit of a defensive issue but more with playign small vs playing poor D

This year our offense has been very good and at times elite. Claxton here to start the season plus Bembry/Brown before they were removed from the rotation. KD is at worst a "pretty good" defender and when engaged a great one. Bembry/KD/Claxton is as good as it gets for a switch everything defense. our F/F/C can all guard bigs and smalls.

Harden also is not a bad defender. if he is on a quick guard maybe. be he is usually guarding a PF or C, where he is average and gets alot of strips and steals.

Kyrie is good. he just doesnt really engage on D until the 4th/important games
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 41,404
And1: 13,979
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#262 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Jay555 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Can see that happening seeing as Brown doesn’t get playing time any more.


Whose trading for a 4 month rental of bruce brown who cant crack a nets rotation starting david duke jr. and hasnt played in like a month?

A: probably no one
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 41,404
And1: 13,979
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#263 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:41 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Jay555 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Can see that happening seeing as Brown doesn’t get playing time any more.

Other teams know Bruce has value and this is a leading theory as to why he's inexplicably fallen completely out of the rotation again.

I understand that DeAndre has outplayed him. But he has proven capable of sharing the court with Bembry for short stints, and could provide good PT when Bembry is not in the game. For him to be behind DDJ, Cam and Kessler means that we're favoring under his under club control. We probably cannot afford to keep him beyond this season, so it's worthwhile to trade him now if we get something cheap and useful in return.


IF you want to trade brown you showcase him, not DNP him while duke starts and gets 30 minutes.
TheNetsFan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,805
And1: 993
Joined: Feb 11, 2007
   

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#264 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
Jay555 wrote:
Can see that happening seeing as Brown doesn’t get playing time any more.

Other teams know Bruce has value and this is a leading theory as to why he's inexplicably fallen completely out of the rotation again.

I understand that DeAndre has outplayed him. But he has proven capable of sharing the court with Bembry for short stints, and could provide good PT when Bembry is not in the game. For him to be behind DDJ, Cam and Kessler means that we're favoring under his under club control. We probably cannot afford to keep him beyond this season, so it's worthwhile to trade him now if we get something cheap and useful in return.


IF you want to trade brown you showcase him, not DNP him while duke starts and gets 30 minutes.

He still has veto rights. Maybe they're trying to persuade him not to veto a deal?

That being said, this seems to be a rehash of the beginning of the season. Brown was out of the rotation. Nash was questioned on his lack of playing time. Nash claimed we knew what we had in Brown & were experimenting. Nash caved, Brown was inserted & we started winning. Those who ignore history (Nash) are destined to repeat it.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
Posts: 12,438
And1: 8,764
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#265 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:55 pm

Lol Brown has absolutely no trade value.

We should be playing him anyway. I don't get why hes completely out of the rotation.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
Suwanee
Sophomore
Posts: 172
And1: 89
Joined: Jan 14, 2021
 

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#266 » by Suwanee » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Harden also is not a bad defender. if he is on a quick guard maybe. be he is usually guarding a PF or C, where he is average and gets alot of strips and steals.

Harden is at least above average when guarding PF/C. Don't know his numbers this year. Most likely it took a dip since he hasn't been playing like himself consistently. But he was an elite post defender in previous years.
User avatar
HardenGoat
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 640
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#267 » by HardenGoat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:58 pm

Suwanee wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Harden also is not a bad defender. if he is on a quick guard maybe. be he is usually guarding a PF or C, where he is average and gets alot of strips and steals.

Harden is at least above average when guarding PF/C. Don't know his numbers this year. Most likely it took a dip since he hasn't been playing like himself consistently. But he was an elite post defender in previous years.

He is pitiful at the start but turns it up as playoffs approach. He is elite in the post during playoffs when healthy, and disrupts plays in the paint. The narrative he is a bad defender is overblown and meant to devalue the teams he is on.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 41,404
And1: 13,979
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#268 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Lol Brown has absolutely no trade value.

We should be playing him anyway. I don't get why hes completely out of the rotation.


Yeah I don't get "experimenting" when you are in the middle of roster flux with COVID and playing mediocure to poor basketball. Keep the known quantity in.

Also, i get experimenting with first rounders like Cam Thomas. Championship teams shouldnt be starting undrafted free agents over proven vets. It is nice Duke gave us good minutes during covid decimated roster days. but we dont need to make him a 30 mpg starter on that
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
Posts: 12,438
And1: 8,764
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#269 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Lol Brown has absolutely no trade value.

We should be playing him anyway. I don't get why hes completely out of the rotation.


Yeah I don't get "experimenting" when you are in the middle of roster flux with COVID and playing mediocure to poor basketball. Keep the known quantity in.

Also, i get experimenting with first rounders like Cam Thomas. Championship teams shouldnt be starting undrafted free agents over proven vets. It is nice Duke gave us good minutes during covid decimated roster days. but we dont need to make him a 30 mpg starter on that


Duke starting is very puzzling.

I get it if its a one game thing. But its been several games know and its not working.

Especially when Edwards is just better and can actually make shots.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 41,404
And1: 13,979
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Nets @ Trail Blazers- 1/10- 10:00 PM EST 

Post#270 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Lol Brown has absolutely no trade value.

We should be playing him anyway. I don't get why hes completely out of the rotation.


Yeah I don't get "experimenting" when you are in the middle of roster flux with COVID and playing mediocure to poor basketball. Keep the known quantity in.

Also, i get experimenting with first rounders like Cam Thomas. Championship teams shouldnt be starting undrafted free agents over proven vets. It is nice Duke gave us good minutes during covid decimated roster days. but we dont need to make him a 30 mpg starter on that


Duke starting is very puzzling.

I get it if its a one game thing. But its been several games know and its not working.

Especially when Edwards is just better and can actually make shots.


Yeah Im super confused by it... if you want to add youth there are 2 better rookies in Cam and Kessler. Both better shooters. If you want energy then replace someone besides bembry in the lineup as he is our best defender/energy player.

doubling down playing Duke/Bembry and Duke/Brown together after complaining about poor spacing makes it even more odd.

Return to Brooklyn Nets