ImageImageImageImageImage

We are not going to win a championship this year

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,868

We are not going to win a championship this year 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 am

As constructed, this team isn't going to beat the top teams unless we have a three of Harden, Durant, and Kyrie playing.

With the news that Harden is considering going to Philadelphia this summer, and Kyrie declaring today that he isn't going to get vaccinated, I think we are absolutely screwed.

KD is not as ruthless as Michael or Kobe, because I would guarantee you if this situation happened in their day, Kyrie would either have to get the shot or he'd be gone. While I can respect KD's loyalty, at the end of the day, Kyrie is screwing him over big time and based on the news about Harden and Philadelphia, Harden is not with the nonsense. And I don't blame him.

My prediction? We will lose in round 2 in 7 games, and Harden will request a sign and trade this summer.

I don't blame Harden one bit if he does. This is foolishness. Harden put his career on the line to play for this team in that Milwaukee series on one leg, and yet all Kyrie has to do is get a harmless shot and he refuses?

How is any of this even right in your minds? Seriously. Do you see us winning in this situation?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Re: We are not going to win a championship this year 

Post#2 » by NetsWorld » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:37 am

MrDollarBills wrote:As constructed, this team isn't going to beat the top teams unless we have a three of Harden, Durant, and Kyrie playing.

With the news that Harden is considering going to Philadelphia this summer, and Kyrie declaring today that he isn't going to get vaccinated, I think we are absolutely screwed.

KD is not as ruthless as Michael or Kobe, because I would guarantee you if this situation happened in their day, Kyrie would either have to get the shot or he'd be gone. While I can respect KD's loyalty, at the end of the day, Kyrie is screwing him over big time and based on the news about Harden and Philadelphia, Harden is not with the nonsense. And I don't blame him.

My prediction? We will lose in round 2 in 7 games, and Harden will request a sign and trade this summer.

I don't blame Harden one bit if he does. This is foolishness. Harden put his career on the line to play for this team in that Milwaukee series on one leg, and yet all Kyrie has to do is get a harmless shot and he refuses?

How is any of this even right in your minds? Seriously. Do you see us winning in this situation?

Philly cannot outright sign Harden unless they create a lot of cap space. They would have to pull a MIami, circa 2010, or Boston 2007. Brooklyn isn't doing Philly any favors. But it is clearly visible that Harden does not want to talk to Kyrie and even on some possessions, he ignored that he was on the floor. KD never took the initiative to call his ass out about the **** he pulled all season; It's KD's team and franchise, why not just call him out and tell him to do it. If KD had the discussion with him and pressured him, I am sure Kyrie will be on a seat burner knowing it's his best friend and the best player in the world telling him. And no people, Kyrie ain't no damn KD.

Be that as it may, I am not and cannot count out the season yet at all, not with Kyrie and not with the fact things change. It was only a couple of months ago that Shams said the only way he was playing is via trade; now here we are, he's activated, the mandate WILL NOT stay forever and might be relaxed at a critical time, ala March/April.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 am

KD35Netted wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:As constructed, this team isn't going to beat the top teams unless we have a three of Harden, Durant, and Kyrie playing.

Philly cannot outright sign Harden unless they create a lot of cap space. They would have to pull a MIami, circa 2010, or Boston 2007. Brooklyn isn't doing Philly any favors. But it is clearly visible that Harden does not want to talk to Kyrie and even on some possessions, he ignored that he was on the floor. KD never took the initiative to call his ass out about the **** he pulled all season; It's KD's team and franchise, why not just call him out and tell him to do it. If KD had the discussion with him and pressured him, I am sure Kyrie will be on a seat burner knowing it's his best friend and the best player in the world telling him. And no people, Kyrie ain't no damn KD.

Honestly this all falls on KD. He wants to coddle Kyrie when both ownership and Harden are done with him.

We are just wasting our time. This season will amount to failure

Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 861

Post#4 » by Jay555 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:07 am

It's over. Time for Harden to go. Dude loves playing with KD & Ky but such is life. It was not meant to be.

The scary part is if Ky walks too then KD would be left alone.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#5 » by Pablo Escobar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 am

Should've traded him the minute he said he wasn't getting the vaccine. It's his personal choice but the team is trying to get a title and Harden and Kd ain't getting any younger. In terms of Kd, he's soft and doesn't want to upset his best friend Kyrie so he'll go along with whatever he's doing. Harden wants to win and Philly has a mvp caliber player who anchors the defense and doesn't get in Hardens way on the perimeter. Also have a much better coaching staff than the nets as well so it's a good possibility that he jumps ship.
Plata o Plomo?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 am

-What Harden does next year is irrelevant to this season.
-Kyrie wont need to get vaccinated, mandate will be gone well before the playoffs

KD is not as ruthless as Michael or Kobe, because I would guarantee you if this situation happened in their day, Kyrie would either have to get the shot or he'd be gone.

Kobe was closer to Kyrie then KD, and encouraged him in these types of manners. If anything, Kobe would be going hard at the critixism

I dont see an issue other then the head coach. If we lose a title, its because of nash and nash only.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:14 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:Should've traded him the minute he said he wasn't getting the vaccine. It's his personal choice but the team is trying to get a title and Harden and Kd ain't getting any younger. In terms of Kd, he's soft and doesn't want to upset his best friend Kyrie so he'll go along with whatever he's doing. Harden wants to win and Philly has a mvp caliber player who anchors the defense and doesn't get in Hardens way on the perimeter. Also have a much better coaching staff than the nets as well so it's a good possibility that he jumps ship.

You cant trade kyrie... because without a 3rd top 102player we would have 0 shot at a title and we wouldnt get that back for kyrie.

Nets best chance as a title as to stay as constructed.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#8 » by Pablo Escobar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:23 am

Prokorov wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:Should've traded him the minute he said he wasn't getting the vaccine. It's his personal choice but the team is trying to get a title and Harden and Kd ain't getting any younger. In terms of Kd, he's soft and doesn't want to upset his best friend Kyrie so he'll go along with whatever he's doing. Harden wants to win and Philly has a mvp caliber player who anchors the defense and doesn't get in Hardens way on the perimeter. Also have a much better coaching staff than the nets as well so it's a good possibility that he jumps ship.

You cant trade kyrie... because without a 3rd top 102player we would have 0 shot at a title and we wouldnt get that back for kyrie.

Nets best chance as a title as to stay as constructed.

Better to get players that want to win and will contribute full time over someone who is a part time player.
Plata o Plomo?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#9 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 am

KD35Netted wrote:

Be that as it may, I am not and cannot count out the season yet at all, not with Kyrie and not with the fact things change. It was only a couple of months ago that Shams said the only way he was playing is via trade; now here we are, he's activated, the mandate WILL NOT stay forever and might be relaxed at a critical time, ala March/April.

Why would KD call Kyrie out for something that KD doesn't view as a negative thing?

He explained this in his podcast a few weeks ago. "i dont get it... like, you dont agree 100% with everything your friends do, but like, that doesn't mean you just hate them because they view something different or make a different choice. I mean id love to ball with him every game, but the mandate doesnt allow it. And why would i like, tell him to get the shot or whatever? Its his choice."

KD isnt worried about regular season games, what personal choices Kyrie makes. Basketball is a big part of these guys lives but its not their entire life. you see these guys welcoming him back with open arms (KD touched on this in his podcast a couple weeks ago too "yeah.. everybody, everybody welcomed him back with open arms." ) he is a great teammate a great friend to these guys and is intertwined with these guys in alot of ways off the court.

Harden is prbably frustrated with playing huge minutes and losing games vs bad teams. he knows nash wont be fired and im sure he'd feel better if kyrie was vaxxed or the mandate got lifted. but like he said in the postgame... "we cant worry about that (whose available/injured) we cant worry about that..we've had more the enough talent to win these games, theyve been winnable games"
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:57 am

Well losing games drops us in standings n lose possible homecourt advantage.

I haven't been on much so reading the kyrie news is another mindfuk for me but Harden? Damn...

But I stated this at the beginning, our roster as presently constructed and used in rotation, won't win the chip.

That was before the involvement of the young guns.. an improvement
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:03 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Well losing games drops us in standings n lose possible homecourt advantage.

I haven't been on much so reading the kyrie news is another mindfuk for me but Harden? Damn...

But I stated this at the beginning, our roster as presently constructed and used in rotation, won't win the chip.

We are 0.5 games out of first place. our next 3 games are with Kyrie vs inferior competition. It is likely we will be 30-16 and tied for 1st when we head back home to play the lakers.

there are reasons to doubt our title chances giving the coaching. but we will for sure have a top 2-3 record and if healthy a chance to overcome nash to beat anyone other then maybe miami.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#12 » by GTR11 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:47 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Well losing games drops us in standings n lose possible homecourt advantage.

We are 0.5 games out of first place. our next 3 games are with Kyrie vs inferior competition. It is likely we will be 30-16 and tied for 1st when we head back home to play the lakers.

there are reasons to doubt our title chances giving the coaching. but we will for sure have a top 2-3 record and if healthy a chance to overcome nash to beat anyone other then maybe miami.

For f*** sake you see what's happening? When you said this crap did you consider that KD will be out, that Kyrie is part time, that we got rookies playing, that we have Harden questioning s*** and a coach that no better than you? F*** you talking about
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#13 » by GTR11 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 am

I believe in Marks and Tsai to take care of things. They proved me wrong more than one occasion. I'm just going to believe in better.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#14 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 am

Bit of an overreaction MDB.

Were not playing well right now. And were still .5 games back of the 1 seed.

With KD and Harden we still have the most talent of any team. And I'm not betting against those guys in a 7 game series. Regardless of how bad we can look in the RS.

The other thing is who exactly looks scary right now?

-The Warriors seem to be falling apart
-Bulls are losing
-Heat do not have a top 10 player on their roster
-Bucks are losing too
-Phoenix doesn't have anyone on the level or KD/Harden

And thats all assuming we can't get Kyrie playing home games. I think there is a solid chance the city changes its rules by the playoffs.

We need to weather the storm without KD. Make some moves around the edges at the buyout market.

The only team that really scares me still is Milwaukee. And last time we had KD/Ky we embarrassed them until injury.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#15 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am

Our rotation right now is not close to healthy.

We don't have Claxton or Harris. Two guys who you have to assume will be starting playoff time.

That will also lessen guys roles like Mills, Brown, Griffin etc. Make them more effective.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#16 » by LOUiS-D » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 am

What do people expect Kai to say when asked the question "does KD being out change your willingness to get the vaccine?"

Any answer he gives in the affirmative is just going to lead to him being badgered more. I sincerely believe this team as constructed is enough to win it all. Yes there is a chance that Kai may still only be available for road games in the playoffs. Yes there's a chance that any one of the big 3 might be out due to be ridden into the ground by Nash to compensate for ineptitude. Yes there's a chance we don't make it to the conference finals. Yes there's a chance that Harden bolts.

What move involving the big 3 would make us better or raise our ceiling?

These last few years with the pandemic are month to month. Go ahead and put any predictions you have for June-July in the rubbish bin. You'll be happier.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#17 » by NetsWorld » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:
KD35Netted wrote:

Why would KD call Kyrie out for something that KD doesn't view as a negative thing?

He explained this in his podcast a few weeks ago. "i dont get it... like, you dont agree 100% with everything your friends do, but like, that doesn't mean you just hate them because they view something different or make a different choice. I mean id love to ball with him every game, but the mandate doesnt allow it. And why would i like, tell him to get the shot or whatever? Its his choice."

KD isnt worried about regular season games, what personal choices Kyrie makes. Basketball is a big part of these guys lives but its not their entire life. you see these guys welcoming him back with open arms (KD touched on this in his podcast a couple weeks ago too "yeah.. everybody, everybody welcomed him back with open arms." ) he is a great teammate a great friend to these guys and is intertwined with these guys in alot of ways off the court.

Harden is prbably frustrated with playing huge minutes and losing games vs bad teams. he knows nash wont be fired and im sure he'd feel better if kyrie was vaxxed or the mandate got lifted. but like he said in the postgame... "we cant worry about that (whose available/injured) we cant worry about that..we've had more the enough talent to win these games, theyve been winnable games"

Let’s see, if Kyrie wasn’t a ball player, he would be irrelevant. People PAY to watch the games in arenas, people PAY to watch a performance. Just because it’s a hobby and people want to unwind, he makes it seem like we can’t have a hobby of enjoying the game or watching it. I’m sick of hearing about how it’s not their life. It has impacted the team. If you are not into basketball, why not reitre?! I don’t want to hear him regurgitate the same garbage over and over and sound like a damn fool in the process. This is their damn livelihood too. He is far from a voice for the voiceless and a beacon of light. More like a damn head case. When Harden walks and KD regrets his decision, then we go back to square one. To protest something or a pathetic mandate, which it is, it has to be done collectively, not individually. He isn’t changing ****.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Prok, if you're perfectly fine with this guy flushing the team's championship aspirations down the toilet, good on you.

I don't have to feel the same way. Neither does any other Nets fan. We are all here because we want to see the team win. Period.

Kyrie has every right to hold his ground, and we have every right not to like what it is doing to our basketball team. We're not here for any other reason but basketball, so at this point I don't want to hear crap about how basketball isn't their life. You either want to win, or you don't. Right now, the guy I KNOW who wants to win is James Harden. Kyrie, I definitely know he doesn't give a flying f*ck and seems like KD doesn't either.

Fact is, we're not going to win, and Harden is going to leave. This stuff just doesn't get put out there for no reason. If Philly believes that they have a legit chance of stealing him away, it's because his agent has let them know.

Part of it is how woefully unprepared Nash is to be a head coach. But Kyrie doing this is far, far more damaging to this team's success.

We beat one good team all season, and it was because we had all 3 guys together. That has to happen for 16 games in the playoffs.

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#19 » by therealbig3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Kyrie and Harden have been bigger issues than Nash. No question.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#20 » by HardenGoat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:35 pm

Finally discussing the pink elephant. I was almost certain Kyrie would get vaccinated if the mandate was never lifted. I just can't believe a person that claims any commitment to winning at any level in a sport they have made a career out of would not get a simple vaccination for the good of his team. Let alone send a message to community to follow suit. I can only imagine what his team really feels. The problem is this is not going away and there will be resentment compounding as we reach deeper into the playoffs. It is not fair for Kyrie to put his team in this position, and there is no way Harden (or the other vets) will stick around with a player like him. He has proven he can't be trusted, and with father time ticking away veterans will see other destinations in a different light. Iam referring to what he said after the game, he basically said he doesn't view basketball as all that important. Makes me feel sick.

Return to Brooklyn Nets