SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Re: The Official Ben 10 Simmons Thread 

Post#442 » by Shark » Thu May 5, 2022 4:33 pm

Back issues are no joke. How didn't this come up during physicals for the trade? And why did it take so long to come to this decision. Especially if Ben was still struggling with the idea of coming back from a mental perspective?
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,439

Post#443 » by KL78192020 » Fri May 6, 2022 3:18 am

Shark wrote:Back issues are no joke. How didn't this come up during physicals for the trade? And why did it take so long to come to this decision. Especially if Ben was still struggling with the idea of coming back from a mental perspective?

Well looks like they were waiting for it to heal naturally, and see if he could come back, but since the season is done might as well get the surgery. Hopefully all these guys are healthy next year.

If healthy Simmons/Kyrie/KD/Harris/Claxton is a decent lineup need to fill out that bench with some solid guys.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#444 » by gigantes » Fri May 6, 2022 4:06 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Stone wrote:Ben is reportedly going to have back surgery and should be a three or four month recovery.

Prayers up…..hope he can make a full recovery

He'll probably need to ramp up during the beginning of next season. It's another poor look on our performance staff. If this was the outcome, he could have had surgery a month ago.

KL78192020 wrote:
Shark wrote:Back issues are no joke. How didn't this come up during physicals for the trade? And why did it take so long to come to this decision. Especially if Ben was still struggling with the idea of coming back from a mental perspective?

Well looks like they were waiting for it to heal naturally, and see if he could come back, but since the season is done might as well get the surgery. Hopefully all these guys are healthy next year.

I'd recommend looking up "herniated disc." It explains a good ~85% of the situation IMO.

For example, I've had all kinds of injuries playing this game, a couple times having to go to the ER for stitches and such. Last time my chin got split open by an errant elbow. Another time some idiot tried to throw a pass to me as hard as he could because he was 'under pressure,' except that I was literally two feet away and don't have the reflexes of a mongoose. Ball hit me right in the thumb and bent it all the way back, where it kinda stayed there with ligament damage. Like an idiot, I didn't go to the ER that time.

Yet all that still doesn't come close to dealing with a nagging back issue. Maybe because the spine is the very core of your structure. For example, one time back in Philly I was playing a game of "rough house" (like 21) with a good buddy and a complete stranger, so three of us. We all go up for a rebound, and one of their elbows comes down right the middle of my spine. Some typical sh-t that happens when you're a skinny 5'8" trying to rebound with chonkier six-footers. But I think you gotta embrace a certain 'warrior mentality' when it comes to that shizzle.

Anyway-- my overall body felt great, I still felt full of energy afterwards, and I thought that maybe if I could just grab the fence and stretch out the issue, I'd be able to get back to it. NOPE. In fact I spent about three weeks in bed, recovering. Every few days I would kind of think to myself 'okay, that's surely enough rest, let's resume my life.' As the Aussies say-- "Yeah, nah."

What I'm trying to get at is that back injuries can absolutely mess with your head, especially extended ones, like Simmons has. Especially a herniated disc.

Right, the Nets are a flaming disaster right now, but actually Ben's surgery is some of the best news I've heard in ages. I think there's a real chance most of his 'diva-issues' evaporate, once he gets back to feeling fundamentally well again. Guess we'll see.

MrDollarBills wrote:what a disaster.

It's NOT a tumor!

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#445 » by NetsJets » Sat May 7, 2022 2:43 pm

I want Ben Simmons gone
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#446 » by NyCeEvO » Sat May 7, 2022 4:14 pm

I’m willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgment until more information comes out. I’ve heard too many positive testimonies from other players who claim that he’s a genuinely good person for me to believe the general media narrative and (understandable) hate from Philly fans.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#447 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 8, 2022 6:47 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:I’m willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgment until more information comes out. I’ve heard too many positive testimonies from other players who claim that he’s a genuinely good person for me to believe the general media narrative and (understandable) hate from Philly fans.

Ben deserves a shot.

And we need him as much as he needs us.

I expect him to play within the first few months of next year and be back to the player he was.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#448 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 pm

Shams is losing credibility with everytime he speaks on Ben Simmons IMO.... just shut up dude.... just hush it.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#449 » by JKiddy » Tue May 10, 2022 7:24 pm

I just got a herniated disc myself and it is no F**KING joke....

We all need to take a deep breath... make that a few. Then, we all need to take a gummy and chill.

Why? He did not mean to hurt his back. The man just had SURGERY. It is legit an issue WHICH CAN BE RESOLVED.

Let him heal. Do you seriously think he will not come back as motivated as ever?

Do you think Marks will let him walk into Training Camp without having worked on his shot at the end of the summer with KORVER for 1000s of shots a day? He will be a world class defender again. He will be the one man fast break again.

The Nets can be very competitive next year if we make the changes which are OBVIOUS.

We need more veteran leadership. We need better defenders. We need to bring in winners and have ownership and management take back the team. I think it can be done.

I trust Marks. This season was a sh*t show for a variety of reasons. But, it is over. I will bet that there will be some roster moves and fine tuning in the coaching area as well (bringing in assistants if we keep Nash or letting him go if he wants). This was not Nash's fault.

Let's see where we are 6 weeks from now the day after the draft.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#450 » by GTR11 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:06 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=WTSWSRlxYYlwGXVdRCnYhA

This Ben attention can actually trump Kyrie vs Saltics. I mean it's getting LBJ to Miami level.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#451 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed May 11, 2022 3:34 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=WTSWSRlxYYlwGXVdRCnYhA

This Ben attention can actually trump Kyrie vs Saltics. I mean it's getting LBJ to Miami level.

Yeah, the media was obsessed with talking about the Nets all season, so this is the result when things go wrong. Plenty of time to prove everyone wrong tho.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#452 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed May 11, 2022 3:36 pm

JKiddy wrote:I just got a herniated disc myself and it is no F**KING joke....

We all need to take a deep breath... make that a few. Then, we all need to take a gummy and chill.

Why? He did not mean to hurt his back. The man just had SURGERY. It is legit an issue WHICH CAN BE RESOLVED.

Let him heal. Do you seriously think he will not come back as motivated as ever?

Do you think Marks will let him walk into Training Camp without having worked on his shot at the end of the summer with KORVER for 1000s of shots a day? He will be a world class defender again. He will be the one man fast break again.

The Nets can be very competitive next year if we make the changes which are OBVIOUS.

We need more veteran leadership. We need better defenders. We need to bring in winners and have ownership and management take back the team. I think it can be done.

I trust Marks. This season was a sh*t show for a variety of reasons. But, it is over. I will bet that there will be some roster moves and fine tuning in the coaching area as well (bringing in assistants if we keep Nash or letting him go if he wants). This was not Nash's fault.

Let's see where we are 6 weeks from now the day after the draft.

Some POSITIVITY. I like it tho, Marks has to nail this offseason.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#453 » by zimpy27 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:41 am

If you ever watch Redick podcasts he's interviewed Butler, Embiid and other teammates of Ben Simmons.

All seem to say he works hard and he's improved his game, they all see him as a great player. The way they discuss his character and work effort some completely different to the way he's portrayed in the media.

I have a feeling Ben comes back when healthy next season and over the course of next season he builds himself up again.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Fallout_3
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#454 » by Fallout_3 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:19 am

Read on Twitter

Regards.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#455 » by kio80 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:22 am

zimpy27 wrote:If you ever watch Redick podcasts he's interviewed Butler, Embiid and other teammates of Ben Simmons.

All seem to say he works hard and he's improved his game, they all see him as a great player. The way they discuss his character and work effort some completely different to the way he's portrayed in the media.

I have a feeling Ben comes back when healthy next season and over the course of next season he builds himself up again.

If Jimmy says Ben works hard, I am pretty sure he does.
Jimmy are many things, but he tell **** the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,853

Post#456 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Stanford wrote:You guys should have been a little more supportive.

I could have told you that Harden was going to quit on you guys, but you Sixers fans were too busy mocking us over Ben to see that Marks traded a complete turd to Morey.

Take a seat with us.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
Scottie4Bro
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,043

Post#457 » by Scottie4Bro » Fri May 13, 2022 2:27 pm

I think you guys will be beasts next season. Media narratives always spin things to be way worse than they really are because media feeds off negativity. Ben will most likely pan out to be a good 3rd option for you guys next season.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#458 » by gigantes » Sun May 15, 2022 4:11 am

Scottie4Bro wrote:I think you guys will be beasts next season. Media narratives always spin things to be way worse than they really are because media feeds off negativity. Ben will most likely pan out to be a good 3rd option for you guys next season.

The media feeds off of what generates them revenue, and if consumers prefer drama to positivity, that's what the media will give 'em. Point is-- I'm pretty sure plenty of more ethical, professional journalists and even outlets would love to get rewarded appropriately for doing an honest job, but in the ESPN era, it's tough. Point is, I've never agreed that all media is just the same, and that they all just want to be drama queens.

But yeah, assuming the surgery works out, Ben should be a huge shot in the arm. Also, I think it's a lot clearer now what probably happened in Philly, i.e. he tried to play through a world of pain and a feeling of brokenness, only for Embiid and whoever else to slag him off. Many people would snap after feeling betrayed like that.

Main issue for me is-- is Simmons *really* a PG? Because from what the watchers at r/NBA seem to say, just like KD & KI he's a good passer, but not necessarily a great one, or a true PG. Because if Harden showed this team anything, it's that a true PG can really unlock this offense.

Anyway, I don't know that we really have a choice with all three of them wanting to handle the rock a lot. Guess we'll see..
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#459 » by NyCeEvO » Tue May 24, 2022 11:27 am

gigantes wrote:Main issue for me is-- is Simmons *really* a PG? Because from what the watchers at r/NBA seem to say, just like KD & KI he's a good passer, but not necessarily a great one, or a true PG. Because if Harden showed this team anything, it's that a true PG can really unlock this offense.

Ben is an exceptional distributor. IMO, in the art of passing, he’s even better than LBJ.

But the problem with Ben is that because he can’t shoot, his effectiveness as a distributor is largely limited to fast break/transition opportunities, just like Draymond.

When we get into halfcourt possessions, Ben will need to become an elite screener and roll man, so he can use his athleticism and height to attack the paint. Unfortunately, Ben has been hesitant to attack the paint because he’s a poor free throw shooter. This is why he can sometimes have almost no impact offensively in games that are slow and largely played out of half-court possessions.

IMO, while becoming a better free throw shooter would certainly help, he needs to know that attacking the basket no matter what is a positive thing, since at the very least, he’s drawing fouls and helping us get into the bonus as a team. If he makes his free throws, that would be the icing on top.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,853

Post#460 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
gigantes wrote:Main issue for me is-- is Simmons *really* a PG? Because from what the watchers at r/NBA seem to say, just like KD & KI he's a good passer, but not necessarily a great one, or a true PG. Because if Harden showed this team anything, it's that a true PG can really unlock this offense.

Ben is an exceptional distributor. IMO, in the art of passing, he’s even better than LBJ.

But the problem with Ben is that because he can’t shoot, his effectiveness as a distributor is largely limited to fast break/transition opportunities, just like Draymond.

When we get into halfcourt possessions, Ben will need to become an elite screener and roll man, so he can use his athleticism and height to attack the paint. Unfortunately, Ben has been hesitant to attack the paint because he’s a poor free throw shooter. This is why he can sometimes have almost no impact offensively in games that are slow and largely played out of half-court possessions.

IMO, while becoming a better free throw shooter would certainly help, he needs to know that attacking the basket no matter what is a positive thing, since at the very least, he’s drawing fouls and helping us get into the bonus as a team. If he makes his free throws, that would be the icing on top.

Ben needs to just attack. IDGAF if he shoots 60%. Those fouls add up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama

Return to Brooklyn Nets