ImageImageImageImageImage

Zach Lowe: Nets almost dealt Claxton to Toronto for 1st Round Pick

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Zach Lowe: Nets almost dealt Claxton to Toronto for 1st Round Pick 

Post#1 » by Paradise » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:09 pm

So, the idea was to flip the 1st rounder from Toronto to the Clippers?

"I think one thing that happened at the trade deadline that I heard was that they were very close to a deal with Toronto that would have sent Claxton to Toronto for a first round pick and some protections on it," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "I think their intention was to sort of refit the roster by maybe flipping that pick for another wing, another shooter. Robert Covington's name was mentioned. And sort of balance it out. That trade fell apart and Toronto went in another direction."

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Re: Zach Lowe: Nets almost dealt Claxton to Toronto for 1st Round Pick 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:27 pm

Paradise wrote:So, the idea was to flip the 1st rounder from Toronto to the Clippers?

"I think one thing that happened at the trade deadline that I heard was that they were very close to a deal with Toronto that would have sent Claxton to Toronto for a first round pick and some protections on it," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "I think their intention was to sort of refit the roster by maybe flipping that pick for another wing, another shooter. Robert Covington's name was mentioned. And sort of balance it out. That trade fell apart and Toronto went in another direction."

I'm glad we didn't though, we need Claxton for teams that have elite PGs.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#3 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:40 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:So, the idea was to flip the 1st rounder from Toronto to the Clippers?

Additionally, why did take until now for the Nets to realize that they should make a move for a versatile 3&D wing to help KD?
It feels like Marks kicked his legs up and relaxed after getting KD & Kyrie thinking “Job well done,” when he should’ve pressed a bit harder to finish the task by surrounding them with players who best complement their skills and can take the burden of doing other tasks (e.g. defending the opposition’s best player) off of their shoulders.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:56 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Additionally, why did take until now for the Nets to realize that they should make a move for a versatile 3&D wing to help KD?
It feels like Marks kicked his legs up and relaxed after getting KD & Kyrie thinking “Job well done,” when he should’ve pressed a bit harder to finish the task by surrounding them with players who best complement their skills and can take the burden of doing other tasks (e.g. defending the opposition’s best player) off of their shoulders.

I dont think thats the case... i think the teams that have those guy are good, those guys are rare, and those guy arent easy to get. like the offseason im sure if we could we would. like if you make a call asking about crowder, you get laughed at.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#5 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:12 am

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I dont think thats the case... i think the teams that have those guy are good, those guys are rare, and those guy arent easy to get. like the offseason im sure if we could we would. like if you make a call asking about crowder, you get laughed at.

I was referring to previous off-season, not so much mid-season deals.

I’m of the opinion that there are plenty of players we could’ve acquired relatively easily who are better than the likes of Bruce Brown and James Johnson, but Marks didn’t pursue them. KD clearly has tremendous pull. I don’t know why we haven’t utilized it to our advantage more often.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#6 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:58 am

Covington would have been a good add. But seems like it was a no go.

I don't think Claxton could bring much back. And he will be useful in the playoffs for sure.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,175

Post#7 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:07 pm

What's been going on with Claxton this year? seems like there has been both some injury and mystery to his ability to become a consistent and rotational guy.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#8 » by NetsWorld » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:20 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It's not all Marks; don't blame him at all, he did his job by getting stars here and it's always on the star players, ala KD/Kyrie. Marks knew by getting those two, he wanted to go all in and build a superteam, hence he got Harden. You can blame the likes of Kyrie, Harden and yes even KD for all of the hoopla. It's not Marks fault Kyrie promised and then lied to him about eventually get the jab. It's not Marks fault that Harden/Kyrie promised to sign enabling him to prematurely make the comment they will all be signed, no this is on the players behind the scenes pulling the damn strings and Marks has to bear the brunt of it. If anything, Marks is doing a great job of handling all of their nonsense and reworking the roster around Kyrie's bull and Harden's quitting and KD's demands. Marks is the best GM in Nets history.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#9 » by Netaman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:54 pm

I'm glad they didn't trade Claxton for a pick - he's the most active/athletic center they have and there could end up being a role for him. If he's on the floor with Simmons, KD, Kyrie he should get a lot of lobs and easy dunks. He may also be a towel waver, but even if that's the case I think he'd have enough value to bring back a 1st round pick in the offseason.

Maybe there was a good enough player out there worth the 1st round pick he could have brought back at the deadline, but im not really seeing it. maybe divincenzo? but id probably say no on Ibaka. Covington is a maybe but that would have had to happen pre-Harden trade so that was sort of an unresolvable timing issue.

at one point i saw deandre hunter rumors somewhere - that I would have been all about - and may be willing to trade the philly pick for him if Atlanta is looking to make a move at the draft. but remember all of the bigs are also up in the offseason and Claxton on the QO may be the most likely to be back.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#10 » by Claud » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Clax has been so injury prone so I can understand why we wanted to move him.

Getting Drummond is good insurance in case Clax goes down again.

Clax's primary strength is being able to switch and defend the PnR at a high level which should prove useful come playoffs time.

I think Clax/Drummond/LMA is a very solid C rotation. They all have different strengths which adds to our versatility.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Claud wrote:Clax has been so injury prone so I can understand why we wanted to move him.

Clax's primary strength is being able to switch and defend the PnR at a high level which should prove useful come playoffs time.

I think Clax/Drummond/LMA is a very solid C rotation. They all have different strengths which adds to our versatility.

Claxton is a free agent. a first round pick for a 3 month rental of an injured claxton would be a great deal.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#12 » by Claud » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Claud wrote:Clax has been so injury prone so I can understand why we wanted to move him.

Claxton is a free agent. a first round pick for a 3 month rental of an injured claxton would be a great deal.

Agreed but since it didnt go down, we at least have another piece to try to win in the playoffs.
We don't have another big as good as him when it comes to switching. Should prove useful at some point if LMA/Drummond struggle vs. a certain matchup.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#13 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:55 pm

I like Clax and hope he stays long term but he's just been far too injury prone. As Prok, swapping Clax for a FRP would be a no brainer move. However, it's not the worst thing in the world that he is still on the roster for match-up reasons. I just hope he/Nash can keep him engaged and ready to play a role when needed.

Also going forward, there is no guarantee that LMA and Blake will be back next season. I can see the Nets keeping Clax if those guys retire/go elsewhere. He can obviously still be flipped for something after the season too...
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#14 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:15 am

right they will likely qualify him. not a lot of teams have cap room. if he's mostly a towel waver the rest of the year there's a good chance nobody tries to poach him. a team may try to poach him if he plays and plays well - but isn't that the rub? If he plays and plays well isn't that preferable to a pick anyway?

if he plays great and helps the team win i dont mind competition for his services.
if he doesn't then he's likely back on the QO and a tradeable asset next year.

so the only reason to trade him for the pick was if the pick was going to be moved for a more useful player right away.

Return to Brooklyn Nets