Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: The KD/Kyrie Era has been a colossal failure 

Post#141 » by Gooner » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:49 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Warriors started Looney and Draymond all year both of who can't shoot.

Granted they have Curry. I think KD/Kyrie/Harris is enough spacing and offense. And you want a traditional Center in the lineup.

I def agree we also need a stretch 5 though. In case it doesn't work.

I think that we can play Claxton and Simmons together but i wouldn't compare them to Draymond and Looney. Draymond is good to at least hit 1 out of every 3 attempts from three. Simmons doesn't shoot threes and then you have to factor how bad both Simmons and Claxton are at FT shooting. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Draymond was a 29% shooter and nobody even considers guarding him. Its the same thing as Simmons. Ws would be better off if he didn't shoot those.

Simmons was also a 61% FT shooter last year and just had a breakdown in the playoffs. Which isnt far off from Draymond at 65%. He can get back to that in the right headspace.

And Looney also shoots about the same from the FT line as Claxton did last year. Who was improving in the last few months before his playoff collapse.

Warriors and Nets can't be compared. Their phylosophy is the exact opposite of waht we've seen so far with the Nets. If you want to get anything out of Simmons, you need a much better coach than Nash.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#142 » by gigantes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
gigantes wrote:This is probably going to sound stoopid & reactionary, but the more I turn the whole puzzle over in my mind, the more obvious it seems that the smartest thing now would be to move on from KD & Kyrie and get a jump on the inevitable rebuild. Because as stated above, winning and sacrificing to win are clearly not their highest priorities, and they both come loaded with extra challenges on top of that.

For example, even KD, as amazing as he's been, is going to start next season at 34yo, and the problem with aging players is not just that they tend to decline, but that they're also more statistically prone to injuries. The Nets have been incredibly lucky with KD, but it's not remotely something I'd want to rely on.

After this draft, I believe the Nets still owe their '24 and '26 picks to the Rockets, plus of course pick swaps in '23, '25 & '27, with two Sixers picks coming back. If they can make quality deals for Kyrie, KD, and probably Joe, I'm thinking that should put the Nets roughly back in the bonus, far better shape than they were when Marks first took over. Whether the Nets assets are hugely valuable to HOU or not, that part's simply water under the bridge, now. The Rox aren't even in our conference, and regardless, you can't manage your franchise just to avoid benefiting another team.

I think a rebuild starting this summer would be a lot less painless this time around. Marks did nicely picking the last four rookies, and there's little choice but to see what Simmons can bring next season. Bruce (25yo), Clax (23) and Drummond (28) all need to be decided on, but the money would be there, if necessary. With the expected picks coming back from the trades above, Marks can get back to his strengths and add whatever extra talent and 'gems in the rough'-type players the scouting dept can scare up.

Sure, there wouldn't be many wins next season, but there'd be a lot more talented young guys to watch than last time around, and a chance to reset back to the core values that Marks used to preach, which was accountability, hard work, and "Brooklyn grit." I think most Nets fans could get on board with that soon enough, and we'd likely get back our national reputation for what that's worth.

Of course it would also constitute a setback when it came to star players eying the Nets as a destination, but hopefully that wouldn't be relevant for a couple years, and I think the BOS sweep helps a lot to establish that the KD-Kyrie tandem just wasn't working, anyway.

Is this something Marks would actually entertain doing, even fractionally? I doubt it. It sounds like he's convinced himself that due to a weird set of circumstances (true enough), the Nets were missing huge chunks of their payroll for most of the season (Harris, Kyrie, Harden/Simmons). Also true enough, and it's a pretty damn convincing argument in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it misses the more important issue that a team built around these two is too problematic as a consistent title-aspirant, not to mention the serious age and flakiness concerns, which will never go away.

So-- it sounds a lot like Marks believes that Nash is worth sticking with, that these two stars are still worth building around, and that quite possibly the Sixers picks will be traded to help get them a bit more help. I therefore expect the Nets to keep bumbling along like this for the next few years, sometimes coming tantalizingly close like last year, but ultimately having little to show for all the years and talent sent out the door, reaching too hard for the prize. Winning isn't everything of course, but I think what makes this so excruciating compared to the team from just a couple years ago is that this these guys aren't even likeable, nor fun to watch. That's a bit of a killer, that is.

Yeah I think its would be foolish and reactionary to trade away KD.

Kevin Durant is the best player who has ever put on a Net unfirom.

And hes never had a good team. First year the whole team got injured. This year Kyrie nuked the season.

You can't have an all time great player and just give up.

Like I've been saying weve seen other teams come back from disastrous situations and win.

Look at the Bucks in 2020. Look at the Celtics last year. Look at Miami last year.

A full season of health and chemistry would make this a completely different team.

34 is old but KD was still elite this year. And no reason to think there will be a big decline after a full summer off.

As bad as things are, rebuilding sucks. And what are the chances we ever draft a player as good as Durant? Highly unlikely.

I'd rather see the Nets compete for the next few years than just tank. Maybe one year luck will come our way. The best team doesn't always win.

We can win with KD, but Marks needs to get back in control of this franchise. We need actual coaching that incorporates analytics and modern basketball formulas. KD wants to play ISO ball and it is clear that we aren't going to win that way against teams that have high IQ coaches who understand how the game is played in 2022. Something has to give, and if Marks doesn't push for common sense to this situation, we will never win with KD.

KD needs to humble himself and realize that moving the ball, giving, going and getting it back is what wins now...

One thing I've consistently observed about life is that when it comes to 'needing' to do a set of things in order to get better results, it usually doesn't happen in an ideal sense. Actually, a shockingly large amount of the time, it barely happens at all, if it's even recognised in the first place.

IMO Marks has gotten himself in to a reality bubble here, not being fully honest with himself, and not really seeing the entire situation for what it is. On top of that, I think he's increasingly down the same 'sunk cost' fallacy that crippled the Prokhy-King Nets. If only we throw more picks down the hole, if only we grow the tax bill, if only we gel better... if only.

I fear KD isn't going to change, because KD's perfectly happy being in NYC, playing for a top org, indulging his iso-ball style, and flattering himself that he's a great point-forward, and doesn't really need a true PG to run the offense. Every season the Nets underperform, there'll be 'understandable reasons' why it happened, and KD can point to the fact that he played high minutes and 'did everything he could.' Actually that's more of a best-case scenario I suspect, as he's likely going to be bothered more by injuries large and small, going forward.

Someone above gave me a good laugh by insisting that KD was the greatest Net in history. Sure, you go ahead and believe that, and meanwhile I'll stick with Julius Erving and Jason Kidd, who won two titles and made two more finals for the Nets. I'll be happy if an aging KD eclipses them one day, but yeah, not holding my breath here.

Note: Erving was in his early-to-mid 20's when he led the Nets to two titles, and Kidd was about 30-31 when he took the Nets to two finals.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#143 » by NetsJets » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:09 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsJets wrote:We need to sign a shooting big to start at the 5 if Simmons is going to be in the lineup. That way he’s surrounded by spacing with KD, Kyrie, Harris and the starting center whoever that will be. Then Claxton comes off the bench. I only want to see Claxton and Simmons in the lineup together at the end of games for offense/defense personnel situations.

Granted they have Curry. I think KD/Kyrie/Harris is enough spacing and offense. And you want a traditional Center in the lineup.

Draymond at least will keep the defense honest by shooting and hitting the occasional 3. Looney can hit free throws at least. Simmons is petrified to shoot and Draymond can shoot free throws. Having 2 guys out there that can’t shoot 3’s or make free throws is wild.
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#144 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:10 pm

I can't say the KD/Kyrie era has been a "colossal failure". I think saying it has been "disappointing" is much more accurate.

Year 1: Fans/Nets mutually agree this is kind of a throw-away year. KD to miss the entire year. Kyrie hurt. Pandemic pauses the season and we resume in the bubble. This season is basically stricken from the record books.

Year 2: We are a 2 seed. By win%, we have the best record in team history. Kyrie/Kd/Harden break basically every single season/single game record there is to break. We STOMPED every good team we faced in the regular season. Stomped Lebron, Stomped Kawhi/George, Stomped Philly. Stomped Boston, Stomped the Warriors, etc... We beat boston in 5 not-so-close games and then were DESTROYING the bucks until Kyrie/Harden injuries gave the bucks the series and even then we got a pair of 50 point games and lost in game 7 in OT to the eventual champs. Kyrie had a 50/40/90 season. Harden was in MVP talk before his injury. This was not a failure season, it was unfortunate.

Year 3: a complete crap show. injuries, mandates, COVID, Kyrie vax status, Ben. just a crap show. We were in 1st for half the year until KD got hurt. This was a tough, disappointing dumpster fire.

In totality, 2 real seasons, 1 good, 1 awful. We have another 2-3 year window to really contend. That will determine the KD/Kyrie era. If we repeat something close to year 2, that in on way is a failure.

if we dont win a title, the era will never be more then disappointing or unfortunate, but we are not in disaster territory so far, even with how ugly this year was
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy

Post#145 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:12 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsJets wrote:We need to sign a shooting big to start at the 5 if Simmons is going to be in the lineup. That way he’s surrounded by spacing with KD, Kyrie, Harris and the starting center whoever that will be. Then Claxton comes off the bench. I only want to see Claxton and Simmons in the lineup together at the end of games for offense/defense personnel situations.

Draymond at least will keep the defense honest by shooting and hitting the occasional 3. Looney can hit free throws at least. Simmons is petrified to shoot and Draymond can shoot free throws. Having 2 guys out there that can’t shoot 3’s or make free throws is wild.

People compare Ben to Dreymond for obvious reasons but offensively, Simmons is alot closer to Giannis skill set.

after curry is trapped, Draymond 4 on 3 will be a passer and maybe a spot up 3 pointer here and there. Where as if you give ben 4 on 3 and space he can take 2 dribbles and just dunk on whoever. He isnt Giannis by a long shot, but he is a 6'10" athletic beast who can dribble and jump.

This isnt Rondo, where if you give him space, he is useless. Ben can drive into that space and finish over defenders. We have seen Ben succeed in this fashion for years.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#146 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:26 pm

Either way I think its obvious Nash needs to go.

I don't think we will win with him as coach. It will take smart coaching to integrate Simmons.

Our best hope may be to switch up the assistants. And pray they can survive with Nash like last year.

I still think Simmons/Claxton can work. But if thats bad bring in a new Center.

The lineup will be SO much better with Harris and Simmons next year.

Imagine we actually have a good defense for once with KD/Kyrie. Would make us so much better.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#147 » by NetsJets » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:30 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

People compare Ben to Dreymond for obvious reasons but offensively, Simmons is alot closer to Giannis skill set.

after curry is trapped, Draymond 4 on 3 will be a passer and maybe a spot up 3 pointer here and there. Where as if you give ben 4 on 3 and space he can take 2 dribbles and just dunk on whoever. He isnt Giannis by a long shot, but he is a 6'10" athletic beast who can dribble and jump.

This isnt Rondo, where if you give him space, he is useless. Ben can drive into that space and finish over defenders. We have seen Ben succeed in this fashion for years.

True but Simmons is a waste of talent.
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy

Post#148 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:59 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Draymond at least will keep the defense honest by shooting and hitting the occasional 3. Looney can hit free throws at least. Simmons is petrified to shoot and Draymond can shoot free throws. Having 2 guys out there that can’t shoot 3’s or make free throws is wild.

What does that mean? "Waste of talent"?

3-time all-star, All-NBA Defense. He missed all of last year; I understand, this is an inflection point for him. is that a roadbump or will his career derail?

To this point, he is as good as you can hope out of a top 3 pick.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#149 » by NetsJets » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:08 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:

3-time all-star, All-NBA Defense. He missed all of last year; I understand, this is an inflection point for him. is that a roadbump or will his career derail?

If he has the talent to be another Giannis and seeing the way his career has gone so far, I think it’s a fair assessment.
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy

Post#150 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:35 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:True but Simmons is a waste of talent.

If he has the talent to be another Giannis and seeing the way his career has gone so far, I think it’s a fair assessment.

Holding anyone to Giannis standard is a bit unfair. basically asking someone to be a 30-10-5 multi time MVP and NBA champion. My comparison to Giannis was also in skillset and ability with regards to "giving Ben space and daring him to shoot" or "4-3 roll man like Draymond". Like Giannis, if you give him space he isnt likely to settle for a shot, he will just use the space to get a running start to attack the rim.

For what its worth, through age 25 (where ben is now) giannis was a 3-time allstar, 2-time All-NBA 2-time all-defense and 1-time MVP.

Simmons through 25 is a 3 time all-star, 1-time all-NBA and 2-time All-NBA defense.

So obviously not Giannis, but similarly decorated and thats with 2 less seasons then Giannis through age 25 (Giannis started 1 year earlier and Ben missed his first year to a foot injury).

Not to compare the 2. they are on separate tiers. But the idea Ben is some wasted talent is a head scratcher. Ourside of this season, he was having a great career even for the standards of a top pick.
gigantes
Starter

Post#151 » by gigantes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:49 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:...if we dont win a title, the era will never be more then disappointing or unfortunate, but we are not in disaster territory so far, even with how ugly this year was

The real issue for me (and I suspect a good chunk of fans), is that not only does a genuine title run increasingly feel like wishful thinking, but that the team's not particularly likeable (I mainly refer to the 'leaders'), and probably worse, isn't even fun to watch.

When I think of a fun team to watch, I think of one that passes well, plays solid D, and plays cohesively. Dunks, lobs, fast-breaks and steals are always fun, but just some bonus sprinkles to me.

The Nets are also likely to trade yet more picks to win now, further gutting the future not unlike the Prokhy-King years. If that's not a "disaster," it sure is flirting with one.

By comparison, I love the way the Raptors spent a relatively modest price renting Kawhi for a year, but maintained the culture, roster, and pretty much everything else around him, intelligently and effectively transitioning to a post-Kawhi reality.

Or for another example-- for all the bitching & pouting Pat Riley did about LeBron taking off after four years, their culture and GM-HC relationship is so top-notch that it took a ridiculously short amount of time for them to start fielding a really good team again.

These Nets remind me of movies where someone's utterly down on their luck, then manages to turn everything around in spectacular fashion, yet when the dust settles and the credits roll, they're right back to where they started, no wiser for the experience.
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy

Post#152 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:57 pm

gigantes wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:...if we dont win a title, the era will never be more then disappointing or unfortunate, but we are not in disaster territory so far, even with how ugly this year was

The real issue for me (and I suspect a good chunk of fans), is that not only does a genuine title run increasingly feel like wishful thinking, but that the team's not particularly likeable (I mainly refer to the 'leaders'), and probably worse, isn't even fun to watch.

When I think of a fun team to watch, I think of one that passes well, plays solid D, and plays cohesively. Dunks, lobs, fast-breaks and steals are always fun, but just some bonus sprinkles to me.

The Nets are also likely to trade yet more picks to win now, further gutting the future not unlike the Prokhy-King years. If that's not a "disaster," it sure is flirting with one.

By comparison, I love the way the Raptors spent a relatively modest price renting Kawhi for a year, but maintained the culture, roster, and pretty much everything else around him, intelligently and effectively transitioning to a post-Kawhi reality.

Or for another example-- for all the bitching & pouting Pat Riley did about LeBron taking off after four years, their culture and GM-HC relationship is so top-notch that it took a ridiculously short amount of time for them to start fielding a really good team again.

These Nets remind me of movies where someone's utterly down on their luck, then manages to turn everything around in spectacular fashion, yet when the dust settles and the credits roll, they're right back to where they started, no wiser for the experience.

I think there are chunks we were super entertaining. Bulls game this year, Sixers game. We are capable of playing that way we just need health and some level of competent coaching. You dont need to run coach Dale's "4 passes before a shot!" Hickory High offense, but some system around our iso heavy offense goes a long way. Something to get us quickly into isolation, with space, and action on the opposite side... or some attempt to get a layup prior to the iso.

Last year, we smashed great teams, that was fun. beating milwaukee by 50 was fun... its just been a while since it was fun. but this group is very capable of super entertaining basketball. Especially if Simmons returns.

Also, Kawhi in toronto looks good because they won. But if Kawhi's game winner vs. philly doesnt go down then they just rented a 2nd round exit.

Further, (and i love Kawhi) but no matter who the superstar, there is always baggage, availability issues, and ego struggles. Kawhi has missed half his clippers tenure, didnt play at all this year. requires a ton of days off for "maintenance" when he does play, and has all kinds of weird off-court demands with his uncle requiring all kinds of pampering.

So, when it comes to superstars, its also a "Grass is greener" kind of thing going on. Outside of Steph and Giannis, its pretty ugly for stars in this league and managing them.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,839

Post#153 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
gigantes wrote:

I think there are chunks we were super entertaining. Bulls game this year, Sixers game. We are capable of playing that way we just need health and some level of competent coaching. You dont need to run coach Dale's "4 passes before a shot!" Hickory High offense, but some system around our iso heavy offense goes a long way. Something to get us quickly into isolation, with space, and action on the opposite side... or some attempt to get a layup prior to the iso.

It was fun last year agreed, and the fact that our offense was historically elite had a lot to do with it. As soon as MDA leaves we turn into this stagnant, streetball style offense where every shot is contested regardless of who is shooting it.

We've got to mix it up. We don't have to play like the 2002 Nets (my god i wish) but we've got to get some off ball actions going. Backdoor cuts, screens to free up shooters, etc. With Ben possibly playing next season (key word, possibly), we should be able to get out in transition a lot more, which will help a lot, but we need to have an actual system in place to generate half court offense. That Boston series gave the entire league a playbook on how to make Kyrie/KD look pedestrian if we continue to run this iso heavy, one screen action style of play.

It amazes me how unimaginative Nash is as a coach. I seriously believe that if it wasn't for D'Antoni this guy would have never been 2x MVP.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NetsJets
Starter

Post#154 » by NetsJets » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:

Holding anyone to Giannis standard is a bit unfair. basically asking someone to be a 30-10-5 multi time MVP and NBA champion. My comparison to Giannis was also in skillset and ability with regards to "giving Ben space and daring him to shoot" or "4-3 roll man like Draymond". Like Giannis, if you give him space he isnt likely to settle for a shot, he will just use the space to get a running start to attack the rim.

For what its worth, through age 25 (where ben is now) giannis was a 3-time allstar, 2-time All-NBA 2-time all-defense and 1-time MVP.

Simmons through 25 is a 3 time all-star, 1-time all-NBA and 2-time All-NBA defense.

So obviously not Giannis, but similarly decorated and thats with 2 less seasons then Giannis through age 25 (Giannis started 1 year earlier and Ben missed his first year to a foot injury).

Not to compare the 2. they are on separate tiers. But the idea Ben is some wasted talent is a head scratcher. Ourside of this season, he was having a great career even for the standards of a top pick.

You brought up Giannis not me. I don’t want anything to do with Simmons. We know how this will end. He’s too unreliable.
gigantes
Starter

Post#155 » by gigantes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Last year, we smashed great teams, that was fun. beating milwaukee by 50 was fun... its just been a while since it was fun. but this group is very capable of super entertaining basketball. Especially if Simmons returns.

Also, Kawhi in toronto looks good because they won. But if Kawhi's game winner vs. philly doesnt go down then they just rented a 2nd round exit.

Further, (and i love Kawhi) but no matter who the superstar, there is always baggage, availability issues, and ego struggles. Kawhi has missed half his clippers tenure, didnt play at all this year. requires a ton of days off for "maintenance" when he does play, and has all kinds of weird off-court demands with his uncle requiring all kinds of pampering.

So, when it comes to superstars, its also a "Grass is greener" kind of thing going on. Outside of Steph and Giannis, its pretty ugly for stars in this league and managing them.

I mean, you're not wrong that there were chunks & highlights last season that were super-impressive. The stretches where the team was such an absolute dreadnaught that it could sort of toy with other teams and sometimes make them feel like G-League teams.

Altho generally, that kind of thing felt more like something that was *theoretically possible* more than it did a season-long reality, ala Jordan's Bulls, Showtime, Bird's Celts, the pre-Durant Dubs, or Auerbach's completely-stacked Celts being bully-boys in a tiny league.

These Nets have so many past, current & future roadblocks upon being anything remotely like those teams, that it makes me chuckle, groan and roll my eyes just daring to make that comparison for more than a couple heartbeeps.

Okay, let's rewind-- the point of me making that example is because IT WASN'T ALL HANGING ON WHETHER OR NOT THEY WON A TITLE. In fact I specifically didn't mention a title, because the Raps price was modest in relation to the good odds of becoming an elite team without paying a crippling price.

That was the major thrust of the example.

Moving on-- YES, you're right that every star carries baggage, but then again, that's equally why every GM needs to think carefully about their moves, vetting players to the max wherever possible. Unfortunately, Sean Marks soiled the sleeping device so badly in that case that a good solid ~60% of the problems that I feared would happen at the time of the dual-signings have indeed happened, and if a layman-dumbass like me can see that stuff coming so easily, I seriously have to wonder what species of Jekyll & Hyde GM we have, anyway.

You know, Joe Bening, there was an interesting article that came out within the last week or two that posited that: A) the most successful teams and B) the NBA's championship teams (plus whatever convergence of the two) tended to grow most of their talent in-house, and moreso it was the supplementary moves (even the bigger ones, involving stars) that tended to complete a team, not form a basis.

Now I could be totally misremembering the major points of that, and it might be fun to track down that national article and pick holes in it, but man... it sure does seem to fit these Nets.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#156 » by Gooner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:01 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:
gigantes wrote:The real issue for me (and I suspect a good chunk of fans), is that not only does a genuine title run increasingly feel like wishful thinking, but that the team's not particularly likeable (I mainly refer to the 'leaders'), and probably worse, isn't even fun to watch.

It was fun last year agreed, and the fact that our offense was historically elite had a lot to do with it. As soon as MDA leaves we turn into this stagnant, streetball style offense where every shot is contested regardless of who is shooting it.

We've got to mix it up. We don't have to play like the 2002 Nets (my god i wish) but we've got to get some off ball actions going. Backdoor cuts, screens to free up shooters, etc. With Ben possibly playing next season (key word, possibly), we should be able to get out in transition a lot more, which will help a lot, but we need to have an actual system in place to generate half court offense. That Boston series gave the entire league a playbook on how to make Kyrie/KD look pedestrian if we continue to run this iso heavy, one screen action style of play.

It amazes me how unimaginative Nash is as a coach. I seriously believe that if it wasn't for D'Antoni this guy would have never been 2x MVP.

D'Antoni and Harden partnership gave the Nets a structure that they needed last year, on top of the overwhelming talent. D'Antoni's departure exposed Nash and it showed that he is way out of his depth as a coach and never deserved to even be in this position. He had a great basketball IQ as a player, but being a coach requires a specific set of skills and a right personality type, and Nash doesn't have it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#157 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Stephen A is 100% right.

Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#158 » by Minnamaker » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:50 pm

gigantes wrote:This is probably going to sound stoopid & reactionary, but the more I turn the whole puzzle over in my mind, the more obvious it seems that the smartest thing now would be to move on from KD & Kyrie and get a jump on the inevitable rebuild. Because as stated above, winning and sacrificing to win are clearly not their highest priorities, and they both come loaded with extra challenges on top of that.

For example, even KD, as amazing as he's been, is going to start next season at 34yo, and the problem with aging players is not just that they tend to decline, but that they're also more statistically prone to injuries. The Nets have been incredibly lucky with KD, but it's not remotely something I'd want to rely on.

After this draft, I believe the Nets still owe their '24 and '26 picks to the Rockets, plus of course pick swaps in '23, '25 & '27, with two Sixers picks coming back. If they can make quality deals for Kyrie, KD, and probably Joe, I'm thinking that should put the Nets roughly back in the bonus, far better shape than they were when Marks first took over. Whether the Nets assets are hugely valuable to HOU or not, that part's simply water under the bridge, now. The Rox aren't even in our conference, and regardless, you can't manage your franchise just to avoid benefiting another team.

I think a rebuild starting this summer would be a lot less painless this time around. Marks did nicely picking the last four rookies, and there's little choice but to see what Simmons can bring next season. Bruce (25yo), Clax (23) and Drummond (28) all need to be decided on, but the money would be there, if necessary. With the expected picks coming back from the trades above, Marks can get back to his strengths and add whatever extra talent and 'gems in the rough'-type players the scouting dept can scare up.

Sure, there wouldn't be many wins next season, but there'd be a lot more talented young guys to watch than last time around, and a chance to reset back to the core values that Marks used to preach, which was accountability, hard work, and "Brooklyn grit." I think most Nets fans could get on board with that soon enough, and we'd likely get back our national reputation for what that's worth.

Of course it would also constitute a setback when it came to star players eying the Nets as a destination, but hopefully that wouldn't be relevant for a couple years, and I think the BOS sweep helps a lot to establish that the KD-Kyrie tandem just wasn't working, anyway.

Is this something Marks would actually entertain doing, even fractionally? I doubt it. It sounds like he's convinced himself that due to a weird set of circumstances (true enough), the Nets were missing huge chunks of their payroll for most of the season (Harris, Kyrie, Harden/Simmons). Also true enough, and it's a pretty damn convincing argument in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it misses the more important issue that a team built around these two is too problematic as a consistent title-aspirant, not to mention the serious age and flakiness concerns, which will never go away.

So-- it sounds a lot like Marks believes that Nash is worth sticking with, that these two stars are still worth building around, and that quite possibly the Sixers picks will be traded to help get them a bit more help. I therefore expect the Nets to keep bumbling along like this for the next few years, sometimes coming tantalizingly close like last year, but ultimately having little to show for all the years and talent sent out the door, reaching too hard for the prize. Winning isn't everything of course, but I think what makes this so excruciating compared to the team from just a couple years ago is that this these guys aren't even likeable, nor fun to watch. That's a bit of a killer, that is.
It won't happen, but I think you're right. That's why I'm not too optimistic about next season.

I think it all starts with Durant and Irving. Nash is a bad coach, but the more I think about, the less I think it matters if he gets fired. Because if he was to be dismissed, I think the Nets would just hire a Nash 2.0. That's what KD and Irving want and the front office apparently tries to make them happy.

I don't know if they don't care enough about winning or don't understand better, but I don't think they win by playing in a non-existing System. Defense is even worse than our offense but playing with this ISO-only system limits our chances heavily. The issue is not that it is ugly to watch (which it is) and easy to gameplan against (which it is), but that you have to play them tons of minutes. With this system you rely on players who can create their own shot. If they don't play, the offense collapses. If you have a pass heavy system, you can survive even win good iso players are not on the court. That's why great teams even win, when their stars are out. Everyone knows his role and actually has a role.

KD and Irving clearly were not enough this year. Maybe Simmons will help, being a additional playmaker. But with KD's age, the health issue of Ben and Kyrie being Kyrie, I don't expect them to play 82 games. Heavy minutes will come again, injuries might follow as well as fatigue in the playoffs.

But KD and Irving want to play that way, they don't want a real coach. If Marks doesn't have the balls to fire Nash and hire a real coach with a real system ( after Irving signs an extension), I think the best you can hope for, is adding better assistant coaches (especially a defensive coordinator), having some roster upgrades, like real 3&D guys/bigger wings and being healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#159 » by Galou » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Stephen A is 100% right.

can't forget about this one :D

F$+*k the Nets.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#160 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:16 pm

Minnamaker wrote:

It won't happen, but I think you're right. That's why I'm not too optimistic about next season.

I think it all starts with Durant and Irving. Nash is a bad coach, but the more I think about, the less I think it matters if he gets fired. Because if he was to be dismissed, I think the Nets would just hire a Nash 2.0. That's what KD and Irving want and the front office apparently tries to make them happy.

I don't know if they don't care enough about winning or don't understand better, but I don't think they win by playing in a non-existing System. Defense is even worse than our offense but playing with this ISO-only system limits our chances heavily. The issue is not that it is ugly to watch (which it is) and easy to gameplan against (which it is), but that you have to play them tons of minutes. With this system you rely on players who can create their own shot. If they don't play, the offense collapses. If you have a pass heavy system, you can survive even win good iso players are not on the court. That's why great teams even win, when their stars are out. Everyone knows his role and actually has a role.

KD and Irving clearly were not enough this year. Maybe Simmons will help, being a additional playmaker. But with KD's age, the health issue of Ben and Kyrie being Kyrie, I don't expect them to play 82 games. Heavy minutes will come again, injuries might follow as well as fatigue in the playoffs.

But KD and Irving want to play that way, they don't want a real coach. If Marks doesn't have the balls to fire Nash and hire a real coach with a real system ( after Irving signs an extension), I think the best you can hope for, is adding better assistant coaches (especially a defensive coordinator), having some roster upgrades, like real 3&D guys/bigger wings and being healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app

The fact that Nash hasn't been fired has all but slammed our championship window shut.

Return to Brooklyn Nets