ImageImageImageImageImage

Andre Drummond Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Andre Drummond Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:40 pm

I have long criticized him, called him a losing player, did not want him here, and personally dont think rebounding holds a ton of value. And my biggest concern was that Drummond viewed himself as a star and always tried to do to much instead of being a great role guy.

Well He has proven that he CAN be an elite role guy and not do to much and he has been fantastic for us since the trade.

10/9/1 in just 20 minutes per game

He has been outstanding defensively this year with a 99 Points allowed Per 100 possessions

Rebounding still isnt super valuable in the league, but for our situation, it has some added value for 2 reasons:

1) Extra possessions for KD/Kyrie are worth more then extra possessions for the average team because we are so efficient at scoring. Similar to how mid range shooting isnt valuable but when you are so elite at it like KD that it is worth taking those shots.

2) We were so bad at rebounding, that the upgrade to elite rebounding has a bigger impact that it otherwise would. going from worst to the top and completely changing possession differential combined with us being efficient scoring and the added value gets a bit boost

in just 12 games his is already third on the team in dunks with 26. He gives us a finishing presents in the paint, which we didnt really have. Claxton can catch lobs and finsih a bit. but Dre is more of a presence when he gets it within 3 feet.

My father in law keeps telling me... he's only 28 and he is insanely skilled for someone that big. im telling you he is going to be a stud. maybe he is right
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Re: Andre Drummond Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:55 pm

Drummond has been awesome.

I was super down on him before the trade. Thought he was useless.

Just having a big body down there who can move has been huge.

And the rebounding is just such a nice plus to have.

But the most surprising part has been his defense. I always thought he was a poor defender. I've seen him protect the rim so many times now. Getting huge blocks.

Do I want him in crunch time or when teams try to switch? No.

But for certain matchups. Hes been incredible.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,830

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:16 pm

To me, Drummond is a must retain. He has made a massive difference to our team. No more multiple possessions given to the opponent on defense. Good luck trying to finish over him inside, he's an absolute behemoth. On offense he is an absolute load for defenders to handle inside when he catches the ball. Sometimes you can dump it down to him on the block for a bullyball score when needed. He has been a perfect fit. In gaming terms, Drummond is our TANK. Its crazy to see how much value he has unlocked for this team. Embiid doesn't worry me in the slightest now that we have him here to bang with him.

Dre and Claxton are a nasty 1-2 punch at center.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#4 » by MGrand15 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:18 pm

Agree with everything in this post. I was glad when we didn't get Drummond last year. He's been killing it so far.

It's nice not seeing our team get bullied in the paint constantly. Even the Philly game where Embiid statistically was playing well - Drummond tired him out with his physicality. Rebounding is a little overrated but when you're a beast on the boards AND not out of position constantly like DJ - it's absolutely a plus. Teams with a lot of shooting can play him off the floor but that's why we have Claxton.

His whole attitude is awesome too. On the bench and interviews, you can tell he's a super positive and likable teammate.
dWadeOwnzYou
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#5 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:42 pm

I'm the biggest AD fan going back to the Piston days. People forget that's he's a two time all-star and a rebounding leader for most of his career. I've said it a while back that its just a matter of time he will thrive in a system that will caters to his strength and help a team where defense and rebounding is needed. This is looking to be that team. He's also only 27 so there's a lot of improvement and he will improve in all facet of his game.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#6 » by NetsJets » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm

I’m curious why don’t you value rebounding? How do you not value giving your team 2nd/3rd/4th chances and/or not giving the opponents extra possessions?
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,757

Post#7 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:44 pm

Drummond is 28 and an absolute freak athlete for a man his size. There's no way a physical profile like that isn't going to be a super valuable role player.

In the NBA, a lot guys get put in the wrong roles, narrative shifts against them and a lot of guys never recover from that. That's a classic case of what happened with Drummond. As a primary option he is inefficient and a turnover machine, we've seen shades of it since he's good for at least 1 dumb turnover or wild post move a game, almost always when he's in with the bench.

But this is the perfect environment for Drummond to play to his strengths. He's happy just being a Tyson Chandler for KD, would he still be playing like that if it was Darius Garland instead? Not sure he would.

Just a great fit overall. He gives us something we sorely needed and he's going to make a lot more money out of it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,830

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:39 pm

Giving Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving more possessions than the opponent absolutely matters. Big Dre should be retained this offseason
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#9 » by gigantes » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Appreciate the thread & the responses.

Man I'm lucky if I catch 1/3rd of our games these days, and sometimes it's not always clear what I'm looking at, or what I should be seeing.

Anyway yeah, it's nice to see something work out for us like this, plus answer a vital need.

I think ~maybe~ part of that was due to a certain cynicism / fatigue about seeing a big boy like DeJordan underperform so chronically, plus thumping my head against the wall over Marks tossing away Fro just for the pleasure of James Harden pouting his way on the basketball court*, in-between his regular job of patronizing strip clubs, evidently.

* Yes, he did bust ass for a while, this is true. For what, 2/5th's of a season was it, last year?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:32 pm

NetsJets wrote:I’m curious why don’t you value rebounding? How do you not value giving your team 2nd/3rd/4th chances and/or not giving the opponents extra possessions?

Because the efficiency of scoring and spacing way outweighs the extra possessions.

Playing small allows for more shooting/spacing/switching. which has (generally/statistically) more value to scoring efficiency then what typically amounts to an extra 4-5 possessions per game.

For example 55 TS% over 100 possessions will result in more points then 51 TS% over 105 possessions

Additionally, since so few teams value size/rebounding, the percentage of uncontested rebounds is drastically increased compared to years past. That is why you see so many triple doubles. guards can get uncontested rebounds while other leak out. Most teams have 4 guys behind the three point line when a shot goes up. So having a great rebounder when 75% of rebounds are uncontested/lightly contested or long rebounds due to long shots, its not very valuable.

Now, when you have the best rebounder of our generation, that extra 4-5 possesions becomes an extra 9-12 possessions and when you have KD/Kyrie those extra possessions are maximized even more because you are scoring on a higher percentage of those.

So adding drummond and having KD/Kyrie, extra possessions help alot more then adding Wendell Carter to a team featuring levert and Russell.

Return to Brooklyn Nets