ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Fire Sean Marks thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Re: Official Fire Sean Marks thread 

Post#41 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 4, 2022 6:48 pm

I don't know how eager we will be to trade or draft the PHL pick this year. It's unprotected this year & next. That pick could be an Embiid injury away from being a very good 2023 pick.

Projecting the Nets Depth Chart next year:

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:
1) A traditional PG, preferably one with size to pair with Curry/Mills/Kyrie (Bringing back Brown helps a small bit in this regard as he's a capable ball handler). Rubio would be dreaming the impossible dream.
2) A 3&D wing (RoCo/OPJ type). Hoping Kess can take the next step is probably a season premature.
3) A respectable stretch 5. Maybe Blake can play that role if he shoots his career averages.

I think Cam can have a role on this team as a minutes eater to carry some scoring load when Kyrie & KD rest. He just needs to play under control.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#42 » by GTR11 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 7:41 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Says the guy who figured Nash was a bad coach two weeks into his job.

What exactly make you think Marks job should be on the line? What exactly make you think he's the one who gave him job or contract? Why stop there, go after Tsai and demand him to sell than.

Thats kind of the point. I knew he was a bad coach 2 weeks in. there is no way 2 years in that the GM doesn't know it too and has done nothing to fire him. Which means Marks either doesnt see it (doubtful) or is only holding on because its his budy (likely). to me, both situations are unacceptable, have gone too long, and require action.

I'm also super exited to hear why Kyrie or KD not being held accountable here at all?

Well, for one, you knew KD/Kyrie were injury prone/had availability issues when you signed them. Sure a once in 100 year pandemic could not be predicted, but availability/injury issues would be a concern either way.

Second, you have PRIME KEVIN DURANT!. I don't care if you surround that dude with 4 fat white dudes from this board. That team should never miss the playoffs!(sure we are in the "play in" but in a normal year the 10 seed is lottery).

We have had at least 1 of KD/Kyrie/Harden for 98% of the last 2 seasons and at least 2 of KD/Kyrie/Harden for 90%.

Hell even this year we had one of the 3 stars most games and couldnt find a way to win games. Meanwhile the James Ennis led clippers are beating us on our own home floor on the second of a back to back when we have Harden/KD on the floor.

it comes down to this, whats more likely:

1) KD/Kyrie are not good enough to lead mediocre role players to an 8 seed
2) Nash is incompetant and Marks did nothing about it

Stopped reading there :lol:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 4, 2022 7:44 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Says the guy who figured Nash was a bad coach two weeks into his job.

What exactly make you think Marks job should be on the line? What exactly make you think he's the one who gave him job or contract? Why stop there, go after Tsai and demand him to sell than.

Thats kind of the point. I knew he was a bad coach 2 weeks in. there is no way 2 years in that the GM doesn't know it too and has done nothing to fire him. Which means Marks either doesnt see it (doubtful) or is only holding on because its his budy (likely). to me, both situations are unacceptable, have gone too long, and require action.

I'm also super exited to hear why Kyrie or KD not being held accountable here at all?

Well, for one, you knew KD/Kyrie were injury prone/had availability issues when you signed them. Sure a once in 100 year pandemic could not be predicted, but availability/injury issues would be a concern either way.

Second, you have PRIME KEVIN DURANT!. I don't care if you surround that dude with 4 fat white dudes from this board. That team should never miss the playoffs!(sure we are in the "play in" but in a normal year the 10 seed is lottery).

We have had at least 1 of KD/Kyrie/Harden for 98% of the last 2 seasons and at least 2 of KD/Kyrie/Harden for 90%.

Hell even this year we had one of the 3 stars most games and couldnt find a way to win games. Meanwhile the James Ennis led clippers are beating us on our own home floor on the second of a back to back when we have Harden/KD on the floor.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Are you denying he is a bad coach or denying i knew it 2 weeks in. because we can check the tape on the 2 weeks in part.

i was REALLY unpopular here calling the dude out early on and while we were winning. maybe it was 2 months in and not 2 weeks in? either way it was clear for me (and some other) early on. if i know it after 2 months marks needs to know it after 2 years,

no one likes their coach. everyone blames coaches.... but for me with nash he was making 8-10 year old AAU level coaching mistakes every game. it was an enormous red flag.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#44 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 4, 2022 7:45 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I don't know how eager we will be to trade or draft the PHL pick this year. It's unprotected this year & next. That pick could be an Embiid injury away from being a very good 2023 pick.

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:
1) A traditional PG, preferably one with size to pair with Curry/Mills/Kyrie (Bringing back Brown helps a small bit in this regard as he's a capable ball handler). Rubio would be dreaming the impossible dream.
2) A 3&D wing (RoCo/OPJ type). Hoping Kess can take the next step is probably a season premature.
3) A respectable stretch 5. Maybe Blake can play that role if he shoots his career averages.

I think Cam can have a role on this team as a minutes eater to carry some scoring load when Kyrie & KD rest. He just needs to play under control.

RoCo/Rubio cant happen if drummond is back. we would need to use all of the MLE on him.

I love rubio. great fit. i dont see it though
GTR11
RealGM

Post#45 » by GTR11 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 7:56 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Are you denying he is a bad coach or denying i knew it 2 weeks in. because we can check the tape on the 2 weeks in part.

i was REALLY unpopular here calling the dude out early on and while we were winning. maybe it was 2 months in and not 2 weeks in? either way it was clear for me (and some other) early on. if i know it after 2 months marks needs to know it after 2 years,

no one likes their coach. everyone blames coaches.... but for me with nash he was making 8-10 year old AAU level coaching mistakes every game. it was an enormous red flag.

I say it's beyond laughable claiming he's a bad coach two weeks into new gig. There were HOF coaches that needed years to figure it out. You knew two weeks in? while D'Antoni system was in place. You know how ridiculous this is?

It took Kerr years to understand what coaching is all about, he still can't figure how to GM. His own words. There's hundreds more examples I can provide.

Also, if you think Tsai went to talk with Din and DJ you... I mean there's nothing to talk about here. I heard more ridiculous stuff from you. Like one you just said above.

I have no idea how can you evaluate employee two weeks Into season. You get 3 months training on almost any job before they'll start evaluating you. 6-8 month is probation. YET YOU KNEW 2 WEEKS IN... AMAZING.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 4, 2022 8:02 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I don't know how eager we will be to trade or draft the PHL pick this year. It's unprotected this year & next. That pick could be an Embiid injury away from being a very good 2023 pick.

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:

Slim pickings at PG in free agency around the vet min range

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#47 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 4, 2022 8:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:

RoCo/Rubio cant happen if drummond is back. we would need to use all of the MLE on him.

Rubio probably gets more than the taxMLE. RoCo likely does as well, but if there is a chance either would settle for it, I'd probably favor them over Drummond. It forces us to use Bird rights to retain Claxton or pull off a trade for another C.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#48 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:01 am

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Stopped reading there :lol:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I say it's beyond laughable claiming he's a bad coach two weeks into new gig. There were HOF coaches that needed years to figure it out. You knew two weeks in? while D'Antoni system was in place. You know how ridiculous this is?

It took Kerr years to understand what coaching is all about, he still can't figure how to GM. His own words. There's hundreds more examples I can provide.

Also, if you think Tsai went to talk with Din and DJ you... I mean there's nothing to talk about here. I heard more ridiculous stuff from you. Like one you just said above.

I have no idea how can you evaluate employee two weeks Into season. You get 3 months training on almost any job before they'll start evaluating you. 6-8 month is probation. YET YOU KNEW 2 WEEKS IN... AMAZING.

it doesnt take long to spot a moron.

it takes months to train someone competant. it takes very little time to realize you have someone who is completely incompetent who doesnt even understand the very basic fundamentals of the job.

like if you hire a doctor and on day 1 they are like "where does a stethescope do?" you know that person isnt qualified. you dont need to train then 3 months.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#49 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:02 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:

Rubio probably gets more than the taxMLE. RoCo likely does as well, but if there is a chance either would settle for it, I'd probably favor them over Drummond. It forces us to use Bird rights to retain Claxton or pull off a trade for another C.

id take roco over drummond. not rubio.

What about a sign and trade for colin sexton? im sure cleveland doesnt want to pay him. it hard caps us though
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#50 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:34 am

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

id take roco over drummond. not rubio.

What about a sign and trade for colin sexton? im sure cleveland doesnt want to pay him. it hard caps us though

We can't hard cap ourselves. We can't get close to being under the threshold.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,431

Post#51 » by OfficialRef » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I agree with most of Mark's decision roster wise.

I really think he did the best he could.

I agree. I'd even say marks had a good to great offseason from a roster building standpoint. With nothing but the small MLE and minimums he added Mills, Bembry, Johnson, LMA. He also retained Blake which was not a given and Brown who we assumed was gone. all those guys contributed in a real way. Say what you want about James Johnson but if he was in his 10 mpg some DNPs role he'd look alot better.

Problem is injuries and stuff happened and Marks did nothing. Harden/Nash bitched for weeks we had no spacing/shooting after Joe got hurt and Carter/milsap turned out to be a waste and did nothing. not minimum signings not small trades.

Outside offseason signings and maybe the return on Harden, Marks was about as bad as you can be:

1) Made a definitive public statement all 3 of the "Big 3" would be signed to extensions before training camp. I was vocal at the time I hated this because there was no need to make this statement before it happened. All it would do is give the vultures ammo to pick apart the team and start rumors if camp hit and there were no extensions. 2 of the 3 hit camp with no extension and 1 isn't on the team anymore. This was when the lying and awful PR started.

2) When the NYC mandate came down Marks was asked directly if his players are vaccinated and he said yes. And they the full roster would be available. Claxton and Kyrie both rumored to be unvaxxed, Marks definitively said his guys would be available when the season starts. Again he was either lying or made a definitive statement before everyone was confirmed vaxxed allowing room for him to look dumb and give media vultures ammo.

3) Completely botched the Kyrie situation. Should have let him play road games from the start. The big3 had almost no time together. should have let them get time as early as possible even if only for road games. KD/Harden were playing 38 mpg and getting no off days. Kyrie would have lessened that load. We also for sure win 4-5 more games and would be solidly in the 6 or 7 spot now. Trading Kyrie was never gonna happen and it was clear he wasnt gonna cave over money nor would KD sign off on trading him. You wanna play hardball for a week or 2 fine but he was never gonna cave or be dealt so let him play. Of course it is Kyrie and the NYC mandates fault Kyrie wasnt available, but Marks still did as poor of a job as possible managing the situation both from a roster and PR standpoint

4) KD goes down. We are racking up losses. Harden is playing 40 mpg. Nash and Harden bitch every day about spacing. we are starting undrafted rookies shooting 18% from three (Duke Jr.) and losing to lotto teams starting multiple 10-day guys off the streets. Marks does nothing, not even a minor move to try and add any kind of shooting... which means he either failed to get one or worse, ignored the issue

5) Handled the Joe Harris issues as bad as possible. lied/hid initial injury severity, lied/hid the potential for a second surgery before last minute saying he is shut down for the year. despite knowing that was a possibility did nothing to add a shooter to the roster while Nash starts david duke at SF.

6) Lied and lied and lied and lied about the Harden thing. Looked like a moron and windhorst basically called Marks/Woj out for hiding it when it was clear dude wanted a trade. He also dragged it out to the deadline with a 10-game losing streak and Fat harden going to strip clubs between losses, not flying with the team, killing the locker room and being an overall cancer. Marks did get a good return, so maybe it was part of it/worth it to deny it all to gain leverage. but this is also part of a pattern of lying/Awful PR that has lasted all season.

7) Didn't re-route Simmons for a better fit/available player. KD is in his mid 30s. you cant waste KD seasons. none of them. Should have flipped him for a package around Collins or Fox or Haliburton. We'd be deadly and easily in the 7 slot. instead we have KD playing 40 minutes off injury and playing all role guys at home before the mandate dropped.

8) Said Simmons was ramping up and expected him and KD back 10 days after the deadline. Neither were back by then and they then lied/hid/downplayed the back issues. consistently said he would likely be back a game or two before the end of the season only for it now to come out he wont even play in the play in. Again, either he was lying or didnt know/see it. both are bad looks and again just the Awful PR where he makes bold statements that blow up in his face.

9) post-trade he had that "state of the union" presser with Grady where he basically told fans that its been a tough year and not to expect much (i.e. were F'd this season is a throw away better luck next year). This was basically a puff piece to remove any heat from Nash. for whatever reason, he is loyal/in-debt to nash.

10) Not only has he not fired Nash, but he never replaced D'antoni or Ime when it was clear that Nash wasn't ready. We promoted assistants who clearly are not ready either. He put ZERO pressure on Nash when he should of at the very least:
-publicly been passive aggressive that the coaching/team is capable of more
-Fired one of his assistants to let him know that if things dont approved Nash is next
-Hired a veteran assistant to coach nash through it

Nope, he did none of that and made all the excuses so that Nash gets another full year as coach. Puh-thetic.

For me, Marks had a long leash with all his great roster moves and dragging this team out of the ashes of the Billy King era. But he has now used up all of his leash. To me the only way I'd even consider him back is if Nash is fired immedietly after the season and Marks makes a public apology to the fans for such a poor move and an apology in general to the black/minority/female coaches who were more qualified that he passed up. Even then I'd still rather that he go.

Hire Mike Zarren or Bobby Webster as GM and either bring in Sam Cassell or try and lure coach K to the NBA (team usa coach, super tight with KD/Kyrie) or bring in Hammond from the WNBA.

You nailed it. This is a really good post and portrays my exact thoughts as well.

The run when KD got injured up to his comeback was some of the dumbest things I've ever seen from a GM, it was almost like he gave up the season and wanted to tank.

Hes shown incompetence but unfortunately he will be back for at least 2 more seasons. The media doesn't push the narrative for warming his seat like they do for Pelinka in LA. Best hope is that he uses the offseason to completely retool the team and learn from past mistakes.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:38 pm

It's insane how Frank Vogel is about to get fired while Nash is not even on the hot seat.

GTR11
RealGM

Post#53 » by GTR11 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:40 am

Unbelievable, the amount of hot takes and limited view.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#54 » by GTR11 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:53 am

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

it takes months to train someone competant. it takes very little time to realize you have someone who is completely incompetent who doesnt even understand the very basic fundamentals of the job.

like if you hire a doctor and on day 1 they are like "where does a stethescope do?" you know that person isnt qualified. you dont need to train then 3 months.

The amount of absurdity and limited understanding is mind blowing. Dude got a job interview and past it, so he clearly knows more than you ever did. Which will mean in our example he past test and started residency.

Your hot takes won't age well if Nash will improve on the job in years to come. It took others HOF coaches years to understand what it's all about.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#55 » by Claud » Wed Apr 6, 2022 6:13 pm

I'm not going to write an essay about this, but suffice it to say that I would NOT fire Marks.

Of course he's made mistakes here and there, but overall under his regime we became a destination after years of misery.

I fully agree hiring Nash was a mistake and needs to be addressed ASAP + We might have overpaid Joe Harris, but hindsight is 20/20.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#56 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:15 pm

Joe Tsai needs to make this situation uncomfortable. There is no way that Marks shouldn't be in the hot seat if we get swept.

bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#57 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:39 pm

Keep Marks. Fire Nash.

Marks had made some brilliant personell moves, but all negated by our wholly incompetant coach he hired (and kept)
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#58 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:40 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:I say it's beyond laughable claiming he's a bad coach two weeks into new gig. There were HOF coaches that needed years to figure it out. You knew two weeks in? while D'Antoni system was in place. You know how ridiculous this is?

The amount of absurdity and limited understanding is mind blowing. Dude got a job interview and past it, so he clearly knows more than you ever did. Which will mean in our example he past test and started residency.

Your hot takes won't age well if Nash will improve on the job in years to come. It took others HOF coaches years to understand what it's all about.
Nash isn't going to improve. He was right 2 weeks in, hes right now. Thats how that works.

He didnt have the facts to back it up and now he does. He was proven righf.
JKiddtoVC
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#59 » by JKiddtoVC » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:39 am

Marks is gonna be out, so is Nash. Nash will be a mutual decision, Marks leaving on his own terms.

Rich Paul wants the GM job, so does Rich Kleiman but he's unlikely given he has zero experience. If Paul gets it, Mark Jackson will be linked as coach.
LebronSuperTeam
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#60 » by LebronSuperTeam » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:32 am

Kyrie-Curry-Mills(?)
Harris-Cam
KD-Edwards
Simmons-
Drummond/Clax(?)-Sharpe

Biggest needs:

This is utter delusion. There is no way Drummond signs with us given the number of teams out there needing a center. He will get a better offer than we can give.

We only have the mini-MLE to try to get a decent starter player and history has shown that is very unlikely. We will be lucky to get a decent bench role player for the mini-MLE.

RoCo and Rubio are out. RoCo is being paid $12 million currently. No way he takes the mini-MLE.

The best bet is to make Simmons the point forward and have him be the floor general.

The real rotation:

Curry-Mills(? 50% chance he opts in)
Kyrie-Cam
Simmons-Harris
KD-Edwards
Clax(?)-Sharpe

Simmons will play at point guard or point forward depending on the personnel we have available. I'd prefer Harris over Curry on the court so Simmons starts at PG.

It's just an incredibly thin team. We'd only have the mini-MLE and vet mins to add a center, a backup point, a wing. Doesn't look good at all.

Return to Brooklyn Nets