Official Fire Sean Marks thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Re: Official Fire Sean Marks thread 

Post#101 » by Raptaz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Raptaz wrote:y'all not willing to let him find a good coach and give him another chance?

Has he not been the best GM the nets have had?

Cant blame him for the Harden thing or the pandemic restrictions regarding Kyrie.

Who do you think would be a good replacement for Marks?

I actually thought he was good and agree on the Nash was bad hire- every other move seemed very good

Rod Thorn was the best GM the Nets have had. Marks took us out of the King Abyss, but he isnt some super elite GM. he had the benefit of 0 expectations and being able to lose with no heat. He did a great job but not a perfect one (Crabbe, TJ, Bazemore, porter, etc...) where early misteps. He drafted well and found diamonds in the rough but again when you get a 3 year window of 0 expectations and the ability to given anyone huge minutes, thats easier to do.

Hiring Nash was bad, but refusing to hold him accountable is the real issue. and it cost us 2 seasons of prime/peak stars. On top of that he did nothing to correct in-season roster issues when joe went down and injuries hit. How he handled Bemby/Johnson was deplorable.

Marks is good in some aspects... overall he is just an ok GM. Most of what we have fell in his lap.

Ah good to know. Marks did well getting out of the terrible position the team was in before, I understand y'all arent happy, but how many other GM's would pass on KD, Kyrie and Harden, too tempting- especially since it seemed like he was drafting and building a solid core.

regarding the coach, raptors stuck with Casey for an overextended period- Nurse was on the coaching staff for a couple seasons prior to becoming the headcoach.

Is anyone on the currents Nets staff highly regarded ?

What do y'all think about, KD, Kyrie basically directing Marks and Tsai(is he better than Prokrov?)
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,561

Post#102 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Raptaz wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Raptaz wrote:y'all not willing to let him find a good coach and give him another chance?

Has he not been the best GM the nets have had?

Cant blame him for the Harden thing or the pandemic restrictions regarding Kyrie.

Who do you think would be a good replacement for Marks?

I actually thought he was good and agree on the Nash was bad hire- every other move seemed very good

Rod Thorn was the best GM the Nets have had. Marks took us out of the King Abyss, but he isnt some super elite GM. he had the benefit of 0 expectations and being able to lose with no heat. He did a great job but not a perfect one (Crabbe, TJ, Bazemore, porter, etc...) where early misteps. He drafted well and found diamonds in the rough but again when you get a 3 year window of 0 expectations and the ability to given anyone huge minutes, thats easier to do.

Hiring Nash was bad, but refusing to hold him accountable is the real issue. and it cost us 2 seasons of prime/peak stars. On top of that he did nothing to correct in-season roster issues when joe went down and injuries hit. How he handled Bemby/Johnson was deplorable.

Marks is good in some aspects... overall he is just an ok GM. Most of what we have fell in his lap.

Ah good to know. Marks did well getting out of the terrible position the team was in before, I understand y'all arent happy, but how many other GM's would pass on KD, Kyrie and Harden, too tempting- especially since it seemed like he was drafting and building a solid core.

regarding the coach, raptors stuck with Casey for an overextended period- Nurse was on the coaching staff for a couple seasons prior to becoming the headcoach.

What do y'all think about, KD, Kyrie basically directing Marks and Tsai(is he better than Prokrov?)

Joe Tsai is an idiot if he's taking instruction from those two mental midgets.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#103 » by CeltsfaninDC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:
It would have been better to let Harden walk away after this season. Simmons is a waste of cap space.

No he isnt. His contract is actually an asset. We are way over the cap... so having his salary allows us the flexibility to add talent to the roster we woudlnt otherwise be able to do. Whether its him suiting up or trading him.

Letting Harden walk would mean we have 2 less picks, would be effected by the steipen rule, and would not have seth curry.

Trade market for Simmons will be very limited. You have to find someone naive enough to go for him.

John Wall
Russell Westbrick
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#104 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
No he isnt. His contract is actually an asset. We are way over the cap... so having his salary allows us the flexibility to add talent to the roster we woudlnt otherwise be able to do. Whether its him suiting up or trading him.

Letting Harden walk would mean we have 2 less picks, would be effected by the steipen rule, and would not have seth curry.

Trade market for Simmons will be very limited. You have to find someone naive enough to go for him.

John Wall
Russell Westbrick

If Simmons comes back and plays like a DPOY candidate in some early season, low pressure games, some GM won't be able to help himself.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#105 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Raptaz wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Thorn was the best at trades, but a very poor drafter. Marks has been the best overall.

Tsai screwed up when he reportedly undercut Marks & went directly to the players to ask them about Atkinson. You can't undermine the authority of your GM & coach to appease a known problem (Kyrie), a washed buddy of the stars (Jordan), and a PG with an overinflated sense of self who has had issues with other teammates in the past (Dinwiddie).

Tsai wants to be a player's owner. He wants splash. Marks wasn't his hire. Marks has seemingly been relegated to errand boy (handle the draft & go trade for this guy).
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#106 » by CeltsfaninDC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Gooner wrote:

John Wall
Russell Westbrick

If Simmons comes back and plays like a DPOY candidate in some early season, low pressure games, some GM won't be able to help himself.

Maybe, but its still going to be 10c on the $ for him. No one is going to give up any real assets for a guy that has basically quit on every team he's ever played for including Australia. He's got OKC/HOU written all over him and if he even goes there he'll have to work hard to prove he actually wants to do more than play dress up and video games.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#107 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:45 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:
John Wall
Russell Westbrick

Maybe, but its still going to be 10c on the $ for him. No one is going to give up any real assets for a guy that has basically quit on every team he's ever played for including Australia. He's got OKC/HOU written all over him and if he even goes there he'll have to work hard to prove he actually wants to do more than play dress up and video games.

There will be a GM and coach on the hot seat that will act in desperation. A good month or two out of Ben, and people will talk themselves back into him as a young franchise cornerstone.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,827

Post#108 » by Karate Diop » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:59 pm

I don't think Marks had a good off-season, but I'm okay giving him another year or two as long as Nash is fired.
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#109 » by Raptaz » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Raptaz wrote:

Thorn was the best at trades, but a very poor drafter. Marks has been the best overall.

Tsai screwed up when he reportedly undercut Marks & went directly to the players to ask them about Atkinson. You can't undermine the authority of your GM & coach to appease a known problem (Kyrie), a washed buddy of the stars (Jordan), and a PG with an overinflated sense of self who has had issues with other teammates in the past (Dinwiddie).

Tsai wants to be a player's owner. He wants splash. Marks wasn't his hire. Marks has seemingly been relegated to errand boy (handle the draft & go trade for this guy).

Really guys, Im not sure what to say. I assume y'all arent happy.
I cant imagine having three stud- end up without anything to show for it.

Seems like Simmons may end up retiring or playing for the lakers.

Im shocked that Nash is expected to stick around- i guess the players have a lot of power- imagine if the top 5 coaches in the NBA at y'alls roster-

at this point simmons value probably tanked even more SMH
Joe Bening-BRO
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#110 » by Joe Bening-BRO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:03 pm

I don't fire Marks, but he absolutely moves to the hotseat.

Pulling this team from the abyss that was the Billy King/Dwill era gets you a ton of clout and a long leash, but the leash still has to exists. And I understand that stars will force you to make more aggressive win-now moves and have some input on decisions, but you still need to make good decisions.

Nash has been a failure. He has been dealt a few tough hands but still a couple aces in there. He made bad situations as bad as possible instead of making bad situations a bit better.

We had Harden for less then 12 months before he got injured, out of shape, bailed on the team, and demanded out.

Simmons, who knows when he will play again. if he is a disaster here too, thats tough to overcome for Marks in my opinion. could you flip Ben in that Harden trade?

Kd/Kyrie can't blame marks on. you need to sign that duo if you have the chance and you need to live with whatever happens. so Kyrie being a space cadet and KD missing time with injuries... you live with it.

But Harden blowing up hurts, and if Simmons does too on top of the Nash hire I don't know how you let a GM keep his job, even with the job he did getting us to the DLo era and landing 2 mega-stars
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:34 pm

Joe Bening-BRO wrote:I don't fire Marks, but he absolutely moves to the hotseat.

Pulling this team from the abyss that was the Billy King/Dwill era gets you a ton of clout and a long leash, but the leash still has to exists. And I understand that stars will force you to make more aggressive win-now moves and have some input on decisions, but you still need to make good decisions.

Nash has been a failure. He has been dealt a few tough hands but still a couple aces in there. He made bad situations as bad as possible instead of making bad situations a bit better.

We had Harden for less then 12 months before he got injured, out of shape, bailed on the team, and demanded out.

Simmons, who knows when he will play again. if he is a disaster here too, thats tough to overcome for Marks in my opinion. could you flip Ben in that Harden trade?

Kd/Kyrie can't blame marks on. you need to sign that duo if you have the chance and you need to live with whatever happens. so Kyrie being a space cadet and KD missing time with injuries... you live with it.

But Harden blowing up hurts, and if Simmons does too on top of the Nash hire I don't know how you let a GM keep his job, even with the job he did getting us to the DLo era and landing 2 mega-stars

I am not upset about Harden or Simmons.

Nash however, to me is what puts him one foot out the door. It was an unconscionable hire.

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#112 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Joe Bening-BRO wrote:I don't fire Marks, but he absolutely moves to the hotseat.

Nash however, to me is what puts him one foot out the door. It was an unconscionable hire.

I mean if he refused to trade Harden and call his bluff the Nets would still be playing and probably be favorites with Middleton out to win the East.

Maybe he leaves at the end of the year but what is Ben Simmons value at this point? Does he even have positive value I mean he had a 180M contract what happens with that? Can he claim mental health and never play again?

To me it's nuts that the Nets took on all this risk without being clear that they wouldn't be on the hook for his contract. It's just nuts.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#113 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:11 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I mean if he refused to trade Harden and call his bluff the Nets would still be playing and probably be favorites with Middleton out to win the East.

Maybe he leaves at the end of the year but what is Ben Simmons value at this point? Does he even have positive value I mean he had a 180M contract what happens with that? Can he claim mental health and never play again?

To me it's nuts that the Nets took on all this risk without being clear that they wouldn't be on the hook for his contract. It's just nuts.

Harden was willing to sit out the rest of the season....Marks had to do what he had to do.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#114 » by gigantes » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:26 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

IMO the problem wasn't the trade moving him out. Harden's remaining value and future contract situation was something probably very few GM's even wanted to bid on at that point. In fact the Nets got bailed out by Morey in more ways than one.

The real problem I think was drastically overpaying for his rental in the first place. Not just the load of picks & swaps, but losing Fro and having to move other decent pieces as well. Just took away so much of our talent and future options.

The one thing I think Harden put in to focus is that the Nets work better with a legit PG to run the offense, taking the ball more from KD-KI as primary passers. The sad thing is that such should have been obvious anyway. KD-KI are pretty good passers, but they're not Jokic or LeBron, who can make an offense work great without a traditional PG. The even sadder thing is that we *still* don't have a starting-level PG to run the show, and won't even if Simmons plays next season.
Educator
Junior
And1: 406

Post#115 » by Educator » Mon May 2, 2022 5:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Harden was willing to sit out the rest of the season....Marks had to do what he had to do.

You can't possibly believe this. I guarantee that would not have happened. There was a report that a Nets 'source' feared that Harden could sit out. Do you know why a Nets source would leak that? To save face on what quite predictably turned out to be a disastrous trade.

Making the trade during the season was pure panic and nothing more. Marks got played like a fiddle by Harden, Morey, and Simmons/Klutch.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 2, 2022 5:17 pm

Educator wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

You can't possibly believe this. I guarantee that would not have happened. There was a report that a Nets 'source' feared that Harden could sit out. Do you know why a Nets source would leak that? To save face on what quite predictably turned out to be a disastrous trade.

Making the trade during the season was pure panic and nothing more. Marks got played like a fiddle by Harden, Morey, and Simmons/Klutch.

I do. Let's also not forget the fact that KD and Harden had stopped talking to each other.

Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#117 » by Shark » Mon May 2, 2022 8:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Educator wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I do. Let's also not forget the fact that KD and Harden had stopped talking to each other.

He was also already dogging it, so even if he did keep playing we probably wouldn't have gotten the best version of Harden.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#118 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue May 3, 2022 4:56 pm

The Harden stuff is getting silly.

I said for a while we made a mistake trading Harden.

But now I'm looking more and more wrong.

Harden is not just in decline. He is a shell of himself. Not even close to the player he was even last year.

As bad as he looked with us, he looks even worse in Philly.

The Celtics would have destroyed us with Harden. And the he definitely leave in FA to Philly.

Jury is still out on Simmons. But if we can just play like he did last year, with Curry and the picks. It looks like we would be big winners.

The 200 million contract will look insane immediately.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#119 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 3, 2022 5:20 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:The Harden stuff is getting silly.

Harden is not just in decline. He is a shell of himself. Not even close to the player he was even last year.

The Celtics would have destroyed us with Harden. And the he definitely leave in FA to Philly.

Jury is still out on Simmons. But if we can just play like he did last year, with Curry and the picks. It looks like we would be big winners.

Yep.

Good riddance. We have our own problems but that right there is one that will disable that franchise for years to come.

Educator
Junior
And1: 406

Post#120 » by Educator » Tue May 3, 2022 7:31 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:The Harden stuff is getting silly.

This is not accurate. You can project that the Celtics would have destroyed us with Harden, but they did destroy us without Harden while Curry and Drummond were both useless in the series.

How he is playing in Philadelphia right now is completely irrelevant to what his value was to the Nets this season. The Nets lacked perimeter size and playmaking against Boston. Even in his very diminished state, Harden is still a very strong 6'5 guard and is still an elite playmaker.

The smarter move would have been to hold on to Harden, play things out, and if things didn't work out (which they likely would not have), explore a sign and trade in the offseason. Simmons still would have been there and Morey still would have been drooling to get Harden.

Return to Brooklyn Nets