ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Fire Sean Marks thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Official Fire Sean Marks thread 

Post#81 » by GTR11 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:46 pm

Netaman wrote:firing marks continues to be the stupidest knee jerk reaction imo.

KD just played his 3 worst games in a row as a professional. He has averaged more turnovers through 3 games than any player in postseason history. we've all watched the games, a lot of them are simple, careless plays he hadn't made once in the 2 full years prior. Including when the Bucks were selling out and playing him physical with PJ Tucker. Pretty much every role player on the roster has stepped up. Brown, Curry, Dragic, Claxton, and now even Blake have done what they could to turn in performances that gave this team chances to win each of these 3 games while KD **** the bed 3x in a row.

Nash sucks but that's correctable.
Kyrie has always been unreliable in every sense.

The cornerstone of any championship team is it's MVP player. The franchise has been operating as if KD is on Lebron's level and through 1.9999 years he was. The last 3 games are an earthquake of unimaginable magnitude because like it or not KD is Deron Williams'ing right in front of our eyes. We need to pray it's as simple as Nash played him too many minutes down the stretch.

Our problem is that Kyrie has KD as his puppet. Top 5 player can make a lot of things go their way.

It's beyond Marks now, we will figure out what Tsai is this off-season
Educator
Junior
And1: 406

Post#82 » by Educator » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Trading Harden during the season was idiotic and Marks should be on the hot seat for that reason alone.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#83 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:36 pm

Educator wrote:Trading Harden during the season was idiotic and Marks should be on the hot seat for that reason alone.

IT wasnt his call. Harden really had the most power/say and tsai made it happen. once KD signed off it was a done deal

and honestly it was the right move. harden was a cancer and was never gonna play hard here, we went 3-17 during his tank fest. we keep him and we dont even make the play in.

The issue is that we didnt re-route simmons for a better fit/available star. Fox/Haliburton; Collins/Huerter something like that
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#84 » by Gooner » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Educator wrote:Trading Harden during the season was idiotic and Marks should be on the hot seat for that reason alone.

IT wasnt his call. Harden really had the most power/say and tsai made it happen. once KD signed off it was a done deal

and honestly it was the right move. harden was a cancer and was never gonna play hard here, we went 3-17 during his tank fest. we keep him and we dont even make the play in.

The issue is that we didnt re-route simmons for a better fit/available star. Fox/Haliburton; Collins/Huerter something like that

It would have been better to let Harden walk away after this season. Simmons is a waste of cap space.
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#85 » by Raptaz » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm

y'all not willing to let him find a good coach and give him another chance?

Has he not been the best GM the nets have had?

Cant blame him for the Harden thing or the pandemic restrictions regarding Kyrie.

Who do you think would be a good replacement for Marks?

I actually thought he was good and agree on the Nash was bad hire- every other move seemed very good
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#86 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:45 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

It would have been better to let Harden walk away after this season. Simmons is a waste of cap space.

Blame Marks for not getting ahead of this and finding a landing spot for Simmons.

Marks is done in my eyes.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#87 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:46 pm

Raptaz wrote:y'all not willing to let him find a good coach and give him another chance?

Cant blame him for the Harden thing or the pandemic restrictions regarding Kyrie.

I actually thought he was good and agree on the Nash was bad hire- every other move seemed very good

How many coaches will he be allowed to go through before the buck stops at his desk?

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#88 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:52 pm

I'll wait after the Nets are eliminated before giving my full thoughts on this but Marks is on the hot seat at the minimum
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#89 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

No he isnt. His contract is actually an asset. We are way over the cap... so having his salary allows us the flexibility to add talent to the roster we woudlnt otherwise be able to do. Whether its him suiting up or trading him.

Letting Harden walk would mean we have 2 less picks, would be effected by the steipen rule, and would not have seth curry.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#90 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Raptaz wrote:y'all not willing to let him find a good coach and give him another chance?

Rod Thorn was the best GM the Nets have had. Marks took us out of the King Abyss, but he isnt some super elite GM. he had the benefit of 0 expectations and being able to lose with no heat. He did a great job but not a perfect one (Crabbe, TJ, Bazemore, porter, etc...) where early misteps. He drafted well and found diamonds in the rough but again when you get a 3 year window of 0 expectations and the ability to given anyone huge minutes, thats easier to do.

Hiring Nash was bad, but refusing to hold him accountable is the real issue. and it cost us 2 seasons of prime/peak stars. On top of that he did nothing to correct in-season roster issues when joe went down and injuries hit. How he handled Bemby/Johnson was deplorable.

Marks is good in some aspects... overall he is just an ok GM. Most of what we have fell in his lap.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Gooner » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

No he isnt. His contract is actually an asset. We are way over the cap... so having his salary allows us the flexibility to add talent to the roster we woudlnt otherwise be able to do. Whether its him suiting up or trading him.

Letting Harden walk would mean we have 2 less picks, would be effected by the steipen rule, and would not have seth curry.

Trade market for Simmons will be very limited. You have to find someone naive enough to go for him.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#92 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:55 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Trade market for Simmons will be very limited. You have to find someone naive enough to go for him.

limited > nothing. even a trade exemption and low level pick would top literally "nothing"

There will always be at least some interest in an in-prime, under contract all-nba level player under 30. i mean the lakers traded for westbrook.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Gooner » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

limited > nothing. even a trade exemption and low level pick would top literally "nothing"

There will always be at least some interest in an in-prime, under contract all-nba level player under 30. i mean the lakers traded for westbrook.

Simmons for Westbrook is one realistic trade I can think of. Atleast Westbrook will play and he will leave everything out on the court. And he has one more year of his contract.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#94 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:12 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Simmons for Westbrook is one realistic trade I can think of. Atleast Westbrook will play and he will leave everything out on the court. And he has one more year of his contract.

Westbrook is terrible. only thing he is leaving on the court is his team with an L

i used him as an example that teams will still trade for a guy who used to be good even when they have awful contracts.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Gooner » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Westbrook is terrible. only thing he is leaving on the court is his team with an L

i used him as an example that teams will still trade for a guy who used to be good even when they have awful contracts.

I get it, my point is that Simmons contract is even worse. Westbrook is an awful fit with LeBron, he would be better with KD and Irving and he is off the books after next season. Simmons is a mental midget, Westbrook is the opposite, he is fearless, despite his flaws.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#96 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:

I get it, my point is that Simmons contract is even worse. Westbrook is an awful fit with LeBron, he would be better with KD and Irving and he is off the books after next season. Simmons is a mental midget, Westbrook is the opposite, he is fearless, despite his flaws.

Westbrook is an awful fit with anyone.

Terrible defender. Terrible shooter. High volume player despite being an inefficient scorer. he hurst spacing, he hurts ball movement, and he hurts your defense, all for the price of 47 million.

you can make a strong argument Westbrook is the worst contract in the league
Lakers traded for westbrook at 2 years/92 million (46 million avg)
Simmons is owed 3 years/105 million (35 million avg)

next season Simmons is 26. Russ in 34.

Simmons at the very least gives you all-nba defense while russ is a negative in all facets
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#97 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:28 pm

If you want to make a move for Simmons. here is the move.

Ben Simmons
Cam Thomas

for

Lonzo Ball
Patrick Williams
Ayo Desl;wndlkwlqle2 or Coby white

Ball gives you the big PointGuard who can shoot off-ball as a spacer but also run the offense/pick and roll to keep Kyrie at the SG. Defensively at 6'6" he can cross match and take the bigger player. This remains true once Curry or Mills checks in.

Williams gives you a real Wing. An athletic 2-way player who can shoot and defend and sky. White or Ayo give you young high effort guard depth who are young with Patty/Curry getting up there. They complient our stars pefect...

Lonzo | Kyrie | Williams | KD | Claxton

Ball Handlers: White/Curry
Shooters: Curry/Mills/Harris
Defenders: White/Edwards
Rebounders: Drummond/Sharpe

Bring back Bembry. Draft a 2-way wing.

That starting lineup has 0 holes.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#98 » by gigantes » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 am

Gooner wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Gooner wrote:Simmons for Westbrook is one realistic trade I can think of. Atleast Westbrook will play and he will leave everything out on the court. And he has one more year of his contract.

Holy hell, of course Simmons' contract isn't worse than Westbrook's. Jesus, what a silly thing to say.

Westbrick the player (plus official GM Pelinka and unofficial GM LeBron) has literally destroyed LeBron's last couple shots at glory, and by that I mean this season and next, when Russ opts back in and has to be traded for whatever pitiful collection of albatross contracts other teams are trying to unload, plus likely costing the Lakes their last remaining tradable #1 pick the team will have for years.

Simmons by comparison is a guy not even in his prime, who with time & proper treatment on his herniated disc, will at the very least be a solid trade asset, and might even be someone worth keeping and building around. I'm not super-optimistic about the latter (players who can't shoot the ball to save their life are an awful fit in today's NBA), but either way, elite defenders are always going to have value.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#99 » by gigantes » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:04 am

If today's report is accurate that the team won't be firing Steve Nash, then I guess I'm officially onboard the "Fire Marks!" train.

Steve Nash's limited coaching ability is such a stoopid hill to die on, and strongly indicates to me that Marks has learned tragically little from the glaring series of disastrous moves he's made in recent years.

In the end, maybe it's really not all that surprising. Like-- rookie, talented GM comes like fire out of the gate, turning a team with nary an asset in to the NBA's Cinderella. Later, when in a far-better position to build a proper team, starts swinging for the fences instead, making increasingly reach-type decisions.

Fire Nash ASAP, put Kyrie on notice (by continuing to withold an extension), and Marks has well-earned himself a second look with me. Particularly if he gets back to his traditional strengths, which *used* to be finding diamonds in the rough rather than paying through the nose for shaky talent.

In any case, I certainly don't envy Joe muvvle-fluffin' Tsai. Seriously, I'm very much unsure how most owners, extremely light on bball knowledge from top-to-bottom, are supposed to make such critical decisions like this. For one, I don't think it would hurt to have a 'board of directors'-type resource that owners could lean on.

Maybe there are such things in fact, but it's moreso the Dolans (etc) of the world who think they know better. Anyway, I digress..
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:44 am

Joe Tsai is a fool. If he wants to waste money like this, he should start throwing it out the window as well.

Return to Brooklyn Nets