Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: James Johnson Waived, Paves Way For Edwards To Be Added For Playoffs 

Post#21 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:58 pm

CoachD wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
He was always an above average one on one defender who struggled with complex team schemes. Was he still that way, or has time caught up?

That's a good way to describe him now. But if you struggle with team schemes - it turns basically anyone into a negative on defense. His toughness also includes A LOT of dumb, untimely fouls.

I say this NO disrespect ... and I haven't watched more than a dozen Nets games this year ... but do have any complex half court defensive schemes? I see them in drop coverage a lot, and theyll play a little zone, but I dont see much else? Am i wrong?

there is nothing complex coming from Coach Nash.... give ball to Kevin and watch..... thats it. Defensively, its a sh*tshow.

Another contributing factor to JJ's release and Edwards gain is that Kessler Edwards plays at a position of weakness where he has positively added impact in the overall roster structure. We have no wings anymore. Kevin Durant is reside at the 4 spot and now sometimes 5, we have no one but undersized options to fill the wing spot gap.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#22 » by MGrand15 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:22 pm

CoachD wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
He was always an above average one on one defender who struggled with complex team schemes. Was he still that way, or has time caught up?

That's a good way to describe him now. But if you struggle with team schemes - it turns basically anyone into a negative on defense. His toughness also includes A LOT of dumb, untimely fouls.

I say this with NO disrespect ... and I haven't watched more than a dozen Nets games this year ... but do have any complex half court defensive schemes? I see them in drop coverage a lot, and theyll play a little zone, but I dont see much else? Am i wrong?

:lol: You're free to disrespect the Nets coaching all you want here.

We do some weird stuff defensively sometimes where we flood the paint and it requires precise rotations to open shooters. We also switch a lot so there's a lot of "triple switches" when a small is on a big. It's mostly normal stuff in today's NBA but I think just JJ struggles off the ball and with decision making regardless of scheme. I don't think it needs to be complex. If he's not guarding the ball 1v1, he gets lost.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#23 » by CoachD » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:30 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:

I say this with NO disrespect ... and I haven't watched more than a dozen Nets games this year ... but do have any complex half court defensive schemes? I see them in drop coverage a lot, and theyll play a little zone, but I dont see much else? Am i wrong?

:lol: You're free to disrespect the Nets coaching all you want here.

We do some weird stuff defensively sometimes where we flood the paint and it requires precise rotations to open shooters. We also switch a lot so there's a lot of "triple switches" when a small is on a big. It's mostly normal stuff in today's NBA but I think just JJ struggles off the ball and with decision making regardless of scheme. I don't think it needs to be complex. If he's not guarding the ball 1v1, he gets lost.

Sounds like Duane Casey's abysmal system that handcuffed Toronto 4 straight years vs Lebron
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#24 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:36 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I feel bad for JJ, but the need for Edwards to be available for the playoffs is paramount.

In reality, the NBA needs to have an IR list so that stuff like this doesn't need to happen, the guy was with us all year so this has to sting. I know people got fed up with Johnson but it wasn't his fault Nash was playing him so much.

Johnson was good as a Net... good fit for the team. Problem is Nash tried to make him a 25-30M point forward instead of a 8-10 mpg role guy. He had some good games in some close wins.

I don't think its a huge loss, but at the same time: Why are we carrying 5 centers!?!?

1 of them (Blake) doesn't play even when we have multiple injuries and are in the second of a back to back. 1 is in G-league and was basically second round talent. and 1 is a washed fossil who missed most of the year, cant defend, and is probably headed to retirement.

I love the move to have Kess on the playoff roster. But it makes no sense to go into the playoffs with 5 centers and 2 PFs.

What happens when Kessler gets into foul trouble?
A: we get Blake/Drummond or LMA/Claxton lineups that suck cause nash is a moron
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,907

Post#25 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:43 pm

CoachD wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
CoachD wrote:

We all hate this coaching staff, they're all mostly ex NBA players and are absolutely clueless.

Feel free to stop by anytime and disrespect them. There are High School coaches that run better offenses and defenses than these buffoons.

The Nets offense is literally Saturday morning YMCA basketball. I am not kidding. There is zero complexity or nuance to it
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I feel bad for JJ, but the need for Edwards to be available for the playoffs is paramount.

In reality, the NBA needs to have an IR list so that stuff like this doesn't need to happen, the guy was with us all year so this has to sting. I know people got fed up with Johnson but it wasn't his fault Nash was playing him so much.

Johnson was good as a Net... good fit for the team. Problem is Nash tried to make him a 25-30M point forward instead of a 8-10 mpg role guy. He had some good games in some close wins.

I don't think its a huge loss, but at the same time: Why are we carrying 5 centers!?!?

1 of them (Blake) doesn't play even when we have multiple injuries and are in the second of a back to back. 1 is in G-league and was basically second round talent. and 1 is a washed fossil who missed most of the year, cant defend, and is probably headed to retirement.

I love the move to have Kess on the playoff roster. But it makes no sense to go into the playoffs with 5 centers and 2 PFs.

Marks is to blame for this. He should have made a hard decision once the Harden trade happened or told Blake to start looking to see if other teams had any interest.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#27 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:50 pm

MGrand15 wrote:This team is an absolute mess. There's a huge disconnect between the front office and coaches. Just straight up embarrassing to cut a rotation player on Game 80 of the season. We're legit going into the playoffs with rotations that we've never played with before. This is good news but also a perfect example of what's wrong with our team. When the team was fully healthy - Edwards was getting 3 MPG. Why?

Edwards proved in DECEMBER that he should be in the rotation. For whatever reason, we've been super inconsistent with him. Edwards is 6'8 with a 7 foot wing span. He should've been our psuedo-back up PF for months now. He should've been getting big minutes as our only non-KD wing who can defend and shoot. We'd know who he can guard, how he handles pressure, etc. Instead he's a question mark because Nash insisted on playing JJ. Literally every line up is better with Edwards in place of JJ.

Let's see if Nash tries to sabotage the team again by playing LMA + Claxton together again as a response to this.

I swear to god if a news story came out that Marks has stopped talking to Nash directly I would believe it. Johnson was literally not playing because he got sick and then gets cut the next day :crazy:

Marks needs to get his sh*t together this offseason. There's been way too much crap going on.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#28 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:53 pm

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:15 pm

so now:

C: Drummond/Claxton/LMA/Blake (lol Marks is doing so bad right now)
PF: KD/Kessler
SF: Brown
SG: Curry/Mills/Thomas
PG: Kyrie/Dragic

We're literally going to have to run 4 guard line ups and pray we can win shootouts. If Simmons can actually play (lol) we slide Kessler down to SF behind Brown.

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#30 » by Stone » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:29 pm

I don't think it a good move, it reminds me of when we let go of Kenneth Faried and needed him in the playoffs....
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,977

Post#31 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:39 pm

Basketball wise LMA should’ve been waived, and Johnson used no more than 10 mpg , anyone can see there is huge disconnect between coaching staff ( trash stuff) and Marks

Why blake is getting DNP s is beyond stupidity, he was solid on taking charges and hitting occasional 3 , this coaching stuff is straigt up garbage
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,977

Post#32 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:44 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:so now:

We're literally going to have to run 4 guard line ups and pray we can win shootouts. If Simmons can actually play (lol) we slide Kessler down to SF behind Brown.

Forget about Simmons, there is no way guy gonna start playing his first game in 15 months on playoff roster , as soon as arena is sold out for playoffs they gonna announce that Simmons is out for reminder of Playoffs, it’s smart marketing
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#33 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:16 pm

MGrand15 wrote:This team is an absolute mess. There's a huge disconnect between the front office and coaches. Just straight up embarrassing to cut a rotation player on Game 80 of the season. We're legit going into the playoffs with rotations that we've never played with before. This is good news but also a perfect example of what's wrong with our team. When the team was fully healthy - Edwards was getting 3 MPG. Why?

Edwards proved in DECEMBER that he should be in the rotation. For whatever reason, we've been super inconsistent with him. Edwards is 6'8 with a 7 foot wing span. He should've been our psuedo-back up PF for months now. He should've been getting big minutes as our only non-KD wing who can defend and shoot. We'd know who he can guard, how he handles pressure, etc. Instead he's a question mark because Nash insisted on playing JJ. Literally every line up is better with Edwards in place of JJ.

Let's see if Nash tries to sabotage the team again by playing LMA + Claxton together again as a response to this.

I agree with what you're saying but it's clear we've just been figuring stuff out as we go along. I mean at the 3/4 point of the season we were still watching a politicians press conferences like a hawk because what came out of his mouth was more important than what happened during a nets game. This season has been completely derailed by KDs injury and Kyrie/Harden/Ben's offcourt antics.

Zero continuity, zero consistency. And it's unfortunate but JJ was the one who paid the price for it. I wouldn't mind for a proper team to make mincemeat of us in the first round because that's what this team deserves.

Rid ourselves of Nash, come back fresh next season with all our stars focused on basketball.
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 861

Post#34 » by Jay555 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:31 pm

This literally means Marks had a **** aweful off season.

With the exception of Mills who has his ups and downs..

JJ - waived
Bembery - waived
Jevon Carter - filler/traded
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#35 » by GTR11 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

I swear to god if a news story came out that Marks has stopped talking to Nash directly I would believe it. Johnson was literally not playing because he got sick and then gets cut the next day :crazy:

Marks needs to get his sh*t together this offseason. There's been way too much crap going on.

I can't find the video where KD shoots over double team instead of passing to JJ for wide open corner 3. There are several of them out there and I should've saved them. I don't think it's a coincidence here that JJ gets cut after last night. Kess was very good in a past 2 games.

Do I think priorities should get straighten up, for sure. This player entitlement went way to far. Nash need to get fired because I don't believe for one minute that was his choice, I don't think he wanted Kenny to be fired to begin with.

This Marks hate getting out of hand.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#36 » by GTR11 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:39 pm

Jay555 wrote:This literally means Marks had a **** aweful off season.

With the exception of Mills who has his ups and downs..

JJ - waived
Bembery - waived
Jevon Carter - filler/traded

This means Kyrie and Harden f***** entire thing. Now let's see how this team looked going into this season.
Kyrie - Patty - Carter
Harden - Brown - Cam
Joe - Bembry - Kess
KD - JJ - Nic
LMA - Blake - Nic - Sharpe

Going into this season most here were calling this team deepest and more talented than most. It's really not that hard to bring it up. Them threads here.

Also let's not forget expectations we had for Harden. We all thought we'd be getting that MVP runner up before he got hurt. All them scary hours talk and blah blah blah. How quickly things get forgotten.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#37 » by GTR11 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:44 pm

Won't mean much unless kid really gets legit min. Also not making Blake a rotation guy. Most likely means we will get heavy dose of washed up LMA.

I'm not holding my breath here.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#38 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:26 pm

There's 2 games left in the regular season. Teams typically shorten the rotation to 8 in the playoffs. Johnson was not going to be top 8. KD is a PF, but can play up or down.

The 8 man will be KD, Kyrie, Brown, Curry, Claxton, Dragic, Drummond and Mills. Edwards will play as needed.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

James Johnson Waived, Paves Way For Edwards To Be Added For Playoffs 

Post#39 » by Paradise » Fri Apr 8, 2022 12:12 am

CoachD wrote:Was JJ that bad in Brooklyn? He's been a plus defender most of his career and brings a lot of toughness. Seems like those are qualities the Nets would need.

Read on Twitter

“Come on bro, play basketball man! I’m right behind you, you know it’s a foul! Shut the **** up!“

Yeah, I think it was time for him to go lol
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#40 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 8, 2022 12:52 am

TheNetsFan wrote:

There's 2 games left in the regular season. Teams typically shorten the rotation to 8 in the playoffs. Johnson was not going to be top 8. KD is a PF, but can play up or down.

The 8 man will be KD, Kyrie, Brown, Curry, Claxton, Dragic, Drummond and Mills. Edwards will play as needed.

I see it as we're so lacking in size at the wing positions that we have no chance but to play a 9 man rotation with Kessler thrown into the fire as a rookie.

Drum/Clax
KD
Bruce/Kessler
Seth/Patty
Kyrie/Dragic

That's got to be our rotation, with other guys getting spot minutes in case of emergency/foul trouble/matchups/injury.

If Ben can by miracle return he'll obviously play and play a lot since he need his size and athleticism. Whose minutes does he take? We'll have to figure it out as we go along, pretty much the same way we've had to do it the entire **** season.

I have zero hopes for this team and I actually kind of hope we get crushed, but given KD is no spring chicken I would also be very invested in a deep playoff run. How's that for a conundrum in sports fandom

Return to Brooklyn Nets