ImageImageImageImageImage

***Official 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Re: ***Official 2021-22 Offseason Thread*** 

Post#181 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Looks like we will match any offers for Claxton.

I'm ok with letting Brown go though. He won't be worth the money and his skillset overlaps with Simmons too much.

Our biggest piece this off season could be the development of Kessler Edwards.

Agreed on all points.

Clax has a unique skillset and would theoretically be more tradeable going down the line.

I LOVE BB but we use him as an undersized PF, so after a certain price his role can be filled by other guys (Kess, FA/Draft/Trade)

Ideally tho, BOTH are retained. What teams are really going to through a bag at Bruce Brown?? He had no market last season and while he got better, there aren't too many teams with money that need him.

If Kess doesn't get better during this off season(handle, 3pt consistency, strength), then that will be a massive failure by the org.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#182 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:27 pm

What sucks is that Brown may finally be getting a consistent 3pt shot too
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#183 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hartenstein and Caleb Smith should be number 1 and 2 on Marks' FA list. Those two would be excellent additions and would fill immediate needs on the wing and at stretch 5

Martin
Ingles
Harvesting
N even Melo interest me

But to be frank, it's all meaningless under our coaching principles n leaders til change is made
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#184 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:What sucks is that Brown may finally be getting a consistent 3pt shot too

Yeah it would suck to see his development benefit another team but unless a random 3 throws a crazy contract at him, he'll be back.

Luckily not too many teams have cap space.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#185 » by NetsWorld » Tue May 24, 2022 5:46 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hartenstein and Caleb Smith should be number 1 and 2 on Marks' FA list. Those two would be excellent additions and would fill immediate needs on the wing and at stretch 5

Martin
Ingles
Harvesting
N even Melo interest me

But to be frank, it's all meaningless under our coaching principles n leaders til change is made

Nets will probably be bringing berrego and other assistants who actually know what they are doing on board. Not surprised at this list; Nets will try to replicate what they did a year ago in hopes health will be on their side. KD went to see Mike James perform, he may recruited, also, Green coming back helps our wing size and shooting. I am iffy on Ingles because of the injury. But if Simmons/KD/Kai are all back next year with a semblance of the staff(players/coaches) we had for the 20-21 season, Nets SHOULD be fine and steam roll the league. This year was just an albatross of a year. Nets need an assistant coaching staff that will help implement plays for the damn team. Tsai will have to overpay.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#186 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue May 24, 2022 5:49 pm

This hasn't talked been about too much but I'm really interested to see what happens with Patty Mills.

I love Patty but with Seth on the roster he's a bit redundant. Nets current guards (not counting Ben) are all midgets but also excel better off ball. We saw this season that Patty is a huge liability as a SG defensively and he sucks at being a true PG. I won't be too mad if he leaves as long as he's replaced by a bigger backup guard like a Delon Wright.

Assuming Mills opts in:

Guards: KAI, Mills, Curry, Thomas
Wings: Harris, Brown, KD, Edwards, (Duke Jr)
Bigs: Clax, Sharpe
Wildcard: Simmons

Ball handlers: Simmons
Playmakers/secondary ball handlers: KAI, KD, Thomas (Curry)
Shooters: Harris, Curry, Mills (KD, KAI)
3&D/wings: Brown, Edwards (KD, Duke Jr)
Rebounders/Bigs: Clax, Sharpe

Holes in the roster are pretty clear imo.
- Backup PG other than Ben. (Dragic, Wright, Mik James? :lol:)
- 3&D wings... wings in general tbh lmao
- Shooting Bigs- Need a legit stretch 5 that is not KD.
- Space eating big - Need someone to eat up mins vs Embiid, Giannis, Jokic etc. Not super vital imo.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#187 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 24, 2022 8:06 pm

How does everyone feel about this starting 5:

Simmons/Irving/Harris/Durant/Claxton

pros: Defensively you have to love Simmons/Claxton/Durant on the floor together.

cons: Ben isn't a good halfcourt PG because he can't shoot. How do you play him and Claxton together?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#188 » by TheNetsFan » Tue May 24, 2022 8:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:How does everyone feel about this starting 5:

pros: Defensively you have to love Simmons/Claxton/Durant on the floor together.

cons: Ben isn't a good halfcourt PG because he can't shoot. How do you play him and Claxton together?

It's solid, though I would prefer a pure PG in the lineup. If their injuries give us the opportunity to land a guy like Rubio or Lonzo Ball via FA or trade (doubtful), they would balance out the lineup much better. Then you can debate between sending Claxton or Harris to the bench.

We need a floor general. Simmons is exceptional in the open court, but he's just ok to good as the primary ball handler in the half court. We need a younger Dragic type to help keep the offense flowing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#189 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 24, 2022 8:41 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

It's solid, though I would prefer a pure PG in the lineup. If their injuries give us the opportunity to land a guy like Rubio or Lonzo Ball via FA or trade (doubtful), they would balance out the lineup much better. Then you can debate between sending Claxton or Harris to the bench.

We need a floor general. Simmons is exceptional in the open court, but he's just ok to good as the primary ball handler in the half court. We need a younger Dragic type to help keep the offense flowing.

yeah I think adding a playmaker at PG is a vital need. We need someone who can create shots because the whole KD/Kyrie dribble dribble dribble turnover offense is not cutting it

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#190 » by GTR11 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:42 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:This hasn't talked been about too much but I'm really interested to see what happens with Patty Mills.

I love Patty but with Seth on the roster he's a bit redundant. Nets current guards (not counting Ben) are all midgets but also excel better off ball. We saw this season that Patty is a huge liability as a SG defensively and he sucks at being a true PG. I won't be too mad if he leaves as long as he's replaced by a bigger backup guard like a Delon Wright.

Assuming Mills opts in:

Guards: KAI, Mills, Curry, Thomas
Wings: Harris, Brown, KD, Edwards, (Duke Jr)
Bigs: Clax, Sharpe
Wildcard: Simmons

Ball handlers: Simmons
Playmakers/secondary ball handlers: KAI, KD, Thomas (Curry)
Shooters: Harris, Curry, Mills (KD, KAI)
3&D/wings: Brown, Edwards (KD, Duke Jr)
Rebounders/Bigs: Clax, Sharpe

Holes in the roster are pretty clear imo.
- Backup PG other than Ben. (Dragic, Wright, Mik James? :lol:)
- 3&D wings... wings in general tbh lmao
- Shooting Bigs- Need a legit stretch 5 that is not KD.
- Space eating big - Need someone to eat up mins vs Embiid, Giannis, Jokic etc. Not super vital imo.

Nic can't shoot or make ft, which makes him unplayable. Sharpe is just big body for regular season. You pretty much forcing Kess, KD and Ben to play C position. Knowing Steve Trash that's exactly what's going to happen.

Trading for Joe for Turner or Seth + filler for Olynyk will need to happen.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,889

Post#191 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 pm

I think its a very good starting 5.

KD/Kyrie do a ton of scoring in their own right.

Will be interesting to see how big of a problem spacing is with Claxton/Simmons. But defense may make up for it.

I would start that lineup.

And then try to close with KD at the 5 and another wing. Perhaps Edwards?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#192 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue May 24, 2022 10:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

yeah I think adding a playmaker at PG is a vital need. We need someone who can create shots because the whole KD/Kyrie dribble dribble dribble turnover offense is not cutting it

Simmons is a pretty good playmaker and Kyrie is good enough to be a backup.

I'm most worried about backup wings. Need something after Harris/Simmons.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#193 » by Gooner » Wed May 25, 2022 9:57 am

Serge Ibaka seems to be an obvious option for Nets to sign as a stretch 5. Mo Bamba might leave Orlando too, it could be another good option. Simmons can be pretty devastating with KD, Kyrie and shooters, despite his flaws, so it's imortant to give him spacing. It can even be a "false 5", someone like PJ Tucker.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#194 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 am

Gooner wrote:Serge Ibaka seems to be an obvious option for Nets to sign as a stretch 5. Mo Bamba might leave Orlando too, it could be another good option. Simmons can be pretty devastating with KD, Kyrie and shooters, despite his flaws, so it's imortant to give him spacing. It can even be a "false 5", someone like PJ Tucker.

Having a roster with optimal spacing options at each position and some semblance of wing defense is critical. Ben and Kessler will help but we need to add a 3 + D veteran and a stretch 5 for sure

Gooner
Head Coach

Post#195 » by Gooner » Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Gooner wrote:Serge Ibaka seems to be an obvious option for Nets to sign as a stretch 5. Mo Bamba might leave Orlando too, it could be another good option. Simmons can be pretty devastating with KD, Kyrie and shooters, despite his flaws, so it's imortant to give him spacing. It can even be a "false 5", someone like PJ Tucker.

Having a roster with optimal spacing options at each position and some semblance of wing defense is critical. Ben and Kessler will help but we need to add a 3 + D veteran and a stretch 5 for sure

When you have Simmons on the roster the idea is very simple-put 4 shooters next to him. You have elite shooters in KD, Kyrie and Harris, so that's great fit with Simmons, but you need that final piece in the starting lineup. Another shooter is essential not just to maximise Simmons, but also to try to overcome Nash and his poor coaching. Win with talent adn spacing, that's all you can try to do with Nash.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#196 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter

If he's upset about we can trade him to LA for Anthony Davis. Problem solved.

Gooner
Head Coach

Post#197 » by Gooner » Wed May 25, 2022 4:21 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he's upset about we can trade him to LA for Anthony Davis. Problem solved.

Kyrie is gone, and it's not about the money. There is no mutual trust anymore, and if the club doesn't want Kyrie back, they are entitled to that. But KD won't be happy with this, that's for sure. His championship window has closed in one year basically.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#198 » by Tha King » Wed May 25, 2022 4:45 pm

If there is actually hesitancy moving forward long term with this core group, this offseason might actually be the best opportunity to just start over.

Durant is still viewed as an elite player and there would be several teams looking to contend that could make offers that would replenish your draft picks plus more (i.e. Blazers, Suns).
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#199 » by MGrand15 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm

Sounds like you guys might get your wish to rebuild for another 10 years. CANT WAIT.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#200 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 25, 2022 4:50 pm

It would be idiotic not to extend Kyrie.

Despite all his trouble, there is no more mandate and the worst is behind him.

Worst case he is still tradable. Hes young enough for a bad team to take a chance on him.

KD is still a top 5 player.

And there will be major upgrades to the roster.

Why would you not take that?

Otherwise we lose Durant and suck again? Is that really better?

The Nets can turn it aorund.

The major change Marks needs to make is to FIRE NASH.

Instead of doing that hes playing games with Kyrie. Moron.

Return to Brooklyn Nets