ImageImageImageImageImage

Cam's time is now

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Cam's time is now 

Post#1 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Feb 6, 2023 10:44 pm

Kyrie is finally gone, and while we have a boatload of size at the wings now there is an even more gaping hole as to who replaces Kyrie as the second scorer/creator.

Cam's tenure as a Net so far has been up and down, while the eye test has told us he can score like few players can the results have been disappointing to date due to lack of consistency. Yet if you look further into the inconsistency I've always felt it's not lack of ability that's held Cam back but the lack of opportunity and circumstance. Like the old maxim of basketball says there is only one ball at a time, and it's been pretty apparent that Cam is a different player when KD/Kyrie was there compared to when they weren't. Cam to me is effective when he is consistently aggressive and he is anything but when he's sharing the court with those 2.

Here's Cam's stats when Kyrie is not playing

23.7 mpg
15.9 ppg
2.5 rpg
2.5 apg
50.4% FG
48.3% 3FG
82.5% FT%
+67 +/-

That +/- is the second highest on the team after KD. To me the time to unleash Cam is now, this guy has extraordinary scoring ability and the only thing holding it back is the role he's given. If we were to pursue a big trade I'd prefer we emphasize size and toughness at the 4/5 and feature Cam as our backcourt scorer, rather than get someone like Lavine who would be a slightly better version of Cam.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,505

Re: Cam's time is now 

Post#2 » by Stone » Mon Feb 6, 2023 11:39 pm

Cam is definitely of the players I am excited to see develop. He crushed in the summer league earning the MVP award a few seasons ago. Only to sit the bench on an older win now team.

I sincerely hope he does not get moved and could be a building block along with Nic in the coming years. The last kind of team I want to see us turn into is and older treadmill team.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,515

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 7, 2023 12:02 am

He's going to be our 2nd leading scorer. "you got the juice now"
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#4 » by Shark » Tue Feb 7, 2023 12:21 am

Biggest thing I want to see him prove is if he can consistently perform in the 4th quarter. He's already had moment in his tenure with us so far, but if he can consistently give us great 4th queater performances like he did against the Wizards we won't be hurting for Kyrie nearly as much as most expect us to.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tha King » Tue Feb 7, 2023 12:22 am

While the team is trying to win with KD, he has to show he can score efficiently and contribute to wins while playing a limited role. So far that hasn't happened.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#6 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Feb 7, 2023 4:57 pm

Back to back 40 point games, 2nd youngest in NBA history to do it sandwiched in between Lebron and KD.

Cam's still pretty raw in many respects, but his scoring ability is special. Hope he's a Net for a long time
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Tha King » Tue Feb 7, 2023 5:19 pm

The calculus kinda changes if Cam is ready to be this teams Maxey/Poole right now. Think Maxey was also in his second season last year when he became that type of player.

KD
Secondary scoring: Din, Cam, maybe Warren
3&D: O'Neale, DFS, Yuta
Elite defense: Claxton, Simmons

This team is now built to be pretty strong defensively. If Din and Cam can give you ~15ppg or so then I think all you need is another 15ppg scorer that is playable defensively. The Warriors had something similar last year.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#8 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Feb 7, 2023 5:29 pm

Tha King wrote:The calculus kinda changes if Cam is ready to be this teams Maxey/Poole right now. Think Maxey was also in his second season last year when he became that type of player.

KD

This team is now built to be pretty strong defensively. If Din and Cam can give you ~15ppg or so then I think all you need is another 15ppg scorer that is playable defensively. The Warriors had something similar last year.

I don't see any reason why he can't be a Maxey or Poole this season be from an ability standpoint, any time Cam's been given the green light he's delivered from the first summer league he was here. If that's the role JV chooses to give him I can see him putting up a lot of buckets until the evidence shows otherwise.

My question is more around how does he fit in when KD is back since he hasn't shown he can play off others when he isn't the undisputed first option. If he can't be effective there then he's resigned to being a 2nd unit superstar.
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Tha King » Tue Feb 7, 2023 5:41 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
Tha King wrote:The calculus kinda changes if Cam is ready to be this teams Maxey/Poole right now. Think Maxey was also in his second season last year when he became that type of player.

KD

I don't see any reason why he can't be a Maxey or Poole this season be from an ability standpoint, any time Cam's been given the green light he's delivered from the first summer league he was here. If that's the role JV chooses to give him I can see him putting up a lot of buckets until the evidence shows otherwise.

My question is more around how does he fit in when KD is back since he hasn't shown he can play off others when he isn't the undisputed first option. If he can't be effective there then he's resigned to being a 2nd unit superstar.

Could be wrong but I think he's done okay when playing with one of KD or Kyrie. It's just when both KD and Kyrie played there really wasn't much of a role for him.

Team didn't need a Maxey or Poole type scorer before but now it does. If he can be that type of player this season that's huge.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 687

Post#10 » by NetsJets » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:58 am

Now is the time to sell. He’s a one dimensional chucker. I’d rather bring in someone that can actually contribute to winning a championship. Good for him for maximizing his opportunity though.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,946

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Cam should start with Dinwiddie.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,515

Post#12 » by Papi_swav » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:33 pm

NetsJets wrote:Now is the time to sell. He’s a one dimensional chucker. I’d rather bring in someone that can actually contribute to winning a championship. Good for him for maximizing his opportunity though.

He's the only one on the roster that can actually create his own shot consistently.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,750

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:59 pm

76ciology wrote:Cam should start with Dinwiddie.

That's an awful idea
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets