ImageImageImageImageImage

the new new era 2.0 - post deadline discussion

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,096

the new new era 2.0 - post deadline discussion 

Post#1 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:58 pm

deadline started with a couple 10.0 earthquakes but only a minor after shock today.

im surprised they didn't make at least 1 other move to shuffle a wing for a back up big, but if they couldn't get rid of Simmons I think the only minutes left for him are first big off the bench in sort of a Diaw role. maybe they still add another C in the buyout market?

the rest of the year should be all about establishing an elite defense and giving Cam Thomas a chance to be the lead scorer. my starting 5 would be:

Dinwiddie
Cam T
Bridges
Cam J
Claxton

DFS, Oneale, Simmons, Patty as the key group off the bench. Note: they have the rights to this top 9 through next year.
Seth and Yuta when healthy are 10/11. I figured Seth would get traded but maybe he finds a 6th man scoring role.
Sumner, Sharpe, Smith probably scratched most of the time (hopefully Harris too).

not a ton to play for the rest of the year but i think if jacque can start establishing an identity on D and keep the Cam breakout going that will be a good launching point to a future suddenly looking a lot brighter.

Billy Reinhardt @BillyReinhardt
6h
Brooklyn Future Draft Picks:

‘23 PHX 1st
‘23 BKN 1st
‘25 PHX 1st
‘25 BKN 1st (HOU swap)
‘25 MIA 2nd
‘26 BKN 2nd
‘27 PHI 1st
‘27 PHX 1st
‘27 BKN 1st (HOU swap)
‘27 DAL 2nd
‘28 BKN 1st
‘28 PHX 1st (BKN swap)
‘28 BKN 2nd
‘29 DAL 1st
‘29 PHX 1st
‘29 BKN 1st
‘29 BKN 2nd
‘29 DAL 2nd
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Re: the new new era 2.0 - post deadline discussion 

Post#2 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:13 pm

I think Simmons only fits on the roster (for the rest of the season) as a backup PG/C. Heck he might not even get a lot of mins some games, because Yuta sometimes gets mins as a stretch 5.

Nets should have a 10 deep rotation, which keeps guys fresh and give 100% max effort at all times. Depth is the strength so use it appropriately.

Dinwiddie/Sumner/Patty
Cam T/Seth
Bridges/Cam J/Harris
DFS/Oneale
Claxton/Simmons/Yuta/Sharpe

I'd use this rotation. There should only be one short guy on the floor at all times. If JV uses 3 guard lineups again I will freak tf out.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,749

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:14 pm

Netaman wrote:deadline started with a couple 10.0 earthquakes but only a minor after shock today.

im surprised they didn't make at least 1 other move to shuffle a wing for a back up big, but if they couldn't get rid of Simmons I think the only minutes left for him are first big off the bench in sort of a Diaw role. maybe they still add another C in the buyout market?

the rest of the year should be all about establishing an elite defense and giving Cam Thomas a chance to be the lead scorer. my starting 5 would be:

Dinwiddie
Cam T
Bridges
Cam J
Claxton

DFS, Oneale, Simmons, Patty as the key group off the bench. Note: they have the rights to this top 9 through next year.
Seth and Yuta when healthy are 10/11. I figured Seth would get traded but maybe he finds a 6th man scoring role.
Sumner, Sharpe, Smith probably scratched most of the time (hopefully Harris too).

not a ton to play for the rest of the year but i think if jacque can start establishing an identity on D and keep the Cam breakout going that will be a good launching point to a future suddenly looking a lot brighter.

Billy Reinhardt @BillyReinhardt
6h
Brooklyn Future Draft Picks:

‘23 PHX 1st
‘23 BKN 1st
‘25 PHX 1st
‘25 BKN 1st (HOU swap)
‘25 MIA 2nd
‘26 BKN 2nd
‘27 PHI 1st
‘27 PHX 1st
‘27 BKN 1st (HOU swap)
‘27 DAL 2nd
‘28 BKN 1st
‘28 PHX 1st (BKN swap)
‘28 BKN 2nd
‘29 DAL 1st
‘29 PHX 1st
‘29 BKN 1st
‘29 BKN 2nd
‘29 DAL 2nd

I really question what Simmons, Curry, and Harris' roles will be. The players that we've got now are all better.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#4 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:17 pm

Rest of the season is for the culture. Competition wise we don't have much to play for, if anything losing more games is to our benefit.

JV has a chance to forge an identity for the young guys, we are now young, long, fast and athletic. We should look to push the pace at any opportunity which will inflate our guys stats for any future trades.

Not sure how the rotations will play out, seems like we have about 14 guys that deserve minutes but no guys who are clear cut starters other than Clax and Mikal.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#5 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
I really question what Simmons, Curry, and Harris' roles will be. The players that we've got now are all better.

i think you answered it, they likely won't be starting. I assume they'll give Ben some big minutes because he's the second biggest guy on the team but i can't imagine there are high hopes there.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#6 » by Tha King » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:28 pm

I think one priority for the remainder of this season should be seeing what the team has in Claxton on offense. If there is a season to experiment, it's now when the team could actually keep a good draft pick. So let's get point Clax going and some threes. A bit similar to the Jazz with Markkanen where they were still looking to win games but expanded his role.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#7 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:29 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:I think Simmons only fits on the roster (for the rest of the season) as a backup PG/C. Heck he might not even get a lot of mins some games, because Yuta sometimes gets mins as a stretch 5.

Nets should have a 10 deep rotation, which keeps guys fresh and give 100% max effort at all times. Depth is the strength so use it appropriately.

Dinwiddie/Sumner/Patty
Cam T/Seth
Bridges/Cam J/Harris
DFS/Oneale
Claxton/Simmons/Yuta/Sharpe

I'd use this rotation. There should only be one short guy on the floor at all times. If JV uses 3 guard lineups again I will freak tf out.

i dont think Cam J comes off the bench.
he came in 3rd for 6th man of the year last year for a 64 win team.
he will probably get close to 20m per year on an extension.
this year he was taking the next step as a full time starter.
he's shooting the 3rd best in 3pt% and last year he finished 5th. ahead of seth both years and highest on the team.
his efficiency numbers are only barely behind bridges.

he's a much bigger get than people realize.
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Tha King » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:33 pm

Netaman wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

i think you answered it, they likely won't be starting. I assume they'll give Ben some big minutes because he's the second biggest guy on the team but i can't imagine there are high hopes there.

I'd rather Sumner play over Curry. Sumner is signed for next year and gives the team athleticism and can make plays off the dribble. There really is no point in playing Curry over him.

I don't know where Harris is going to get minutes.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#9 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:36 pm

Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I'd rather Sumner play over Curry. Sumner is signed for next year and gives the team athleticism and can make plays off the dribble. There really is no point in playing Curry over him.

I don't know where Harris is going to get minutes.

Sumner over Seth all day, I'd really like to see us push the pace at any opportunity with the personnel we got now.

Seth and Joe should be out of the rotation altogether, use as break in case of emergency type guys.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:37 pm

"Seth and Joe should be out of the rotation altogether" 100%

this is the way
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:41 pm

I can't lump Seth and Joe together. I. just. cant. do. it.

Seth can make things happen beyond just shooting 3's and the guy is damn near automatic when he's open.

I agree there may not be minutes for him but off the bench he can be the microwave scorer they may need if their starting unit doesn't score enough. he's also a playoff proven guy.

i want to give Cam Thomas every chance to succeed but if he falls on his face I don't think they are just going to keep running him out there. I think in that scenario we'd see Royce get reinserted as a starter and Seth maybe turn into the scorer off the bench.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

something maybe nothing? Ibaka buyout?
The ModFather

Netaman
Analyst

Post#13 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:52 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

something maybe nothing? Ibaka buyout?

looks like both he and dedmon waived so far. i assume one of these guys or a player like them will end up getting the open roster spot unless there's someone marks likes in g league.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#14 » by Born_Ready » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:53 pm

Dewayne Dedmon being waived. Any interest?
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Tha King » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:56 pm

Looking ahead, quite a number of the roster is not signed beyond next season (O'Neale, Spencer, Harris, Mills).

If Cam Johnson gets something around 20M in the offseason and Claxton 25M+ in 2024...what's the teams cap situation? Would there be room to sign a max FA in the 2024 offseason?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:58 pm

Im legit interested in any real NBA big man right now this season.

From Ibaka to Dedmon to Noel(if buyout) to Boban(if buyout) to Len(yea im desperate)....

I cant believe we couldn't bring in someone at C from a Harris/Curry combo deal.
The ModFather

ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,491

Post#17 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:59 pm

I’m optimistic, can we say with certainty we are worse than before KD Kyrie trade ?
Spencer=Spencer
DAngelo - just got traded , Minnesota didn’t want to extend him
Levert - he is not the player most here was hyping him to be
Allen - yeah that’s the biggest loss but with Allen here I doubt Claxton would’ve develop or see the floor at all
Joe regressed

That’s all from Atkinson Nets , all remaining players are not even in the league anymore to name a few ( Demarre Carroll, Allen Crabbe , Creek , Faried , Kurucs , Musa , RHJ )
Pinson it’s a decoy for Mavs

That’s it , would you like to turn the clock and have them all back ? I don’t

Now most of you gonna say , but what’s about all the picks we forfeit to Houston ?

I only speak for myself , as European I like the relegation system way more compared to awarding teams with top picks for tanking , saying this I’ll avoid tanking giving Houston top unprotected picks , I rather hopefully watch Mavs or Suns implode in 2024-2025 and get top picks from them

I get all disappointment that we not contenders anymore but I don’t see how we are in any shape worse then we were in 2019

GO NETS !!!!
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:59 pm

Tha King wrote:Looking ahead, quite a number of the roster is not signed beyond next season (O'Neale, Spencer, Harris, Mills).

If Cam Johnson gets something around 20M in the offseason and Claxton 25M+ in 2024...what's the teams cap situation? Would there be room to sign a max FA in the 2024 offseason?

off the top of my head, i know Harris and Curry alone equals about a max spot.... We'll have room for max agents... despite Ben Simmons
The ModFather

sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#19 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:01 pm

Tha King wrote:Looking ahead, quite a number of the roster is not signed beyond next season (O'Neale, Spencer, Harris, Mills).

Assuming Ben is still on the roster I don't think so, Cam Johnson, Mikal, Clax and Ben is close to the cap by themselves.

Ben expires in 2025 which is when the next cap spike is expected to come in, so everybody will have cap room that summer. So it doesn't look like the road to the next star goes through free agency, much more likely to package some of our assets and picks to obtain one.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:02 pm

No excuse not to play fast and move the ball...

Cam and Spencer are the only true ball dominant guys we got, so other than that, the ball must be moving and we finally have the legs and heart to play team ball.... win or lose.
The ModFather

Return to Brooklyn Nets