ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 NBA Draft watch

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,842

Re: 2023 NBA Draft watch 

Post#81 » by Karate Diop » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:23 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Would you guys do a trade of Poole for your 2023 1st round pick (20th or 21st), straight-up?

I think Poole needs structure but a free reign to shoot, and I'm not sure if we have the rest of the team in place to provide that...
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#82 » by Tha King » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:00 pm

Started looking at this draft once the season ended (KD trade) and I have to say, it's very possible the team can get two players with similar upside to players getting drafted top 10. The draft is considered very flat after the first few picks and in terms of upside there's not a lot of separation.

The team could get two of:

Wing -Brice Sensabaugh
Wing - Rayan Rupert
C - Dereck Lively
CG - Kobe Bufkin
Wing - Leonard Miller
Wing - Dariq Whitehead
Wing - Bilal Coulibaly
Wing - GG Jackson
Wing - Maxwell Lewis
Wing - Jett Howard
Wing - Sidy Cissoko
PF/C - Noah Clowney
CG - Jalen Hood-Schifino

You then have a few players that could be rotation level contributors from jump: Marcus Sasser, Kris Murray, Colby Jones.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#83 » by GTR11 » Sun May 7, 2023 5:24 pm

Bob dropped a piece on a draft. Mentions that Marks personally scouted these guys.

Tankathon has Clowney going at 31 which i think is a push. He a year away from being legit bench guy.

And this kid being mocked at 18 :lol: He has no offense to talk about and slim to the point where guards be muscle his ass to get open looks. In no world he should be going that high, he's raw as it get. 2nd round in my books.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#84 » by TheNetsFan » Sun May 7, 2023 6:21 pm

GTR11 wrote:Bob dropped a piece on a draft. Mentions that Marks personally scouted these guys.

Tankathon has Clowney going at 31 which i think is a push. He a year away from being legit bench guy.

And this kid being mocked at 18 :lol: He has no offense to talk about and slim to the point where guards be muscle his ass to get open looks. In no world he should be going that high, he's raw as it get. 2nd round in my books.

I disagree, especially with Rupert. Both are very raw, but extremely gifted physically. They're projects (both are still 18) though Rupert should be able to make a defensive impact immediately. We've seen Marks repeatedly take project bigs who contribute by year 2 or 3. Clowney fits that bill and seems a like a raw John Collins. Rupert reminds me of a very raw Mikal. By unofficial measurements, Rupert is even taller and longer than Mikal. I like the upside of both, but they're the type that you draft and leave in the G-League for a season or two.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#85 » by GTR11 » Tue May 9, 2023 3:58 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Bob dropped a piece on a draft. Mentions that Marks personally scouted these guys.

I disagree, especially with Rupert. Both are very raw, but extremely gifted physically. They're projects (both are still 18) though Rupert should be able to make a defensive impact immediately. We've seen Marks repeatedly take project bigs who contribute by year 2 or 3. Clowney fits that bill and seems a like a raw John Collins. Rupert reminds me of a very raw Mikal. By unofficial measurements, Rupert is even taller and longer than Mikal. I like the upside of both, but they're the type that you draft and leave in the G-League for a season or two.

Said all that yet to sneak most important part to the end :lol: . That's not 1st round talent.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#86 » by TheNetsFan » Tue May 9, 2023 3:25 pm

GTR11 wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Said all that yet to sneak most important part to the end :lol: . That's not 1st round talent.

How many late 1st rounders aren't spending time in the G-League? Once you're in the back half to third of the first round, you don't expect immediate contributions either because the players are raw or the teams with the later picks are deep. Barring a big roster shake-up, the Nets are deep for the 2023-2024 season, and both picks are on the later side.
Skyline718
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#87 » by Skyline718 » Tue May 9, 2023 4:27 pm

These two guys especially that rupert kid is the definition of what these young kids now say “mid” and is exactly how sean marks disgustingly misses the mark and doesnt get the point of drafting a big. That rupert kid AT BEST is projected to be a lesser nicolas batum.This is why i belive marks should be replaced because he does things belased on feelings.ex ,”hes a fellow kiwi” regardless if hes offensively trash and low ceiling. I saw someone on twitter mentioned how a undisclosed player told him that sean marks is not trying to develop players ,he wants “boys scouts””good kids” that basically will do whatever they are told.wounds sort of a power hungry spurs type deal that pushed players like kahwi and dejonte murray away.that guy from twitter also said that after marks made that comment in the dealine of not wanting to compete they were all furious,also were furious about mills getting burn in the playoffs and that hes not the lokcerroom precense the organization is trying to push out to the public that he is.idk man i thibk its time to move on from this man at the helm
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#88 » by TheNetsFan » Tue May 9, 2023 5:00 pm

Skyline718 wrote:

These two guys especially that rupert kid is the definition of what these young kids now say “mid” and is exactly how sean marks disgustingly misses the mark and doesnt get the point of drafting a big. That rupert kid AT BEST is projected to be a lesser nicolas batum.This is why i belive marks should be replaced because he does things belased on feelings.ex ,”hes a fellow kiwi” regardless if hes offensively trash and low ceiling. I saw someone on twitter mentioned how a undisclosed player told him that sean marks is not trying to develop players ,he wants “boys scouts””good kids” that basically will do whatever they are told.wounds sort of a power hungry spurs type deal that pushed players like kahwi and dejonte murray away.that guy from twitter also said that after marks made that comment in the dealine of not wanting to compete they were all furious,also were furious about mills getting burn in the playoffs and that hes not the lokcerroom precense the organization is trying to push out to the public that he is.idk man i thibk its time to move on from this man at the helm

What an incoherent mess.

1) Rupert is not a "kiwi." He's French but playing pro-ball in New Zealand.
2) Clowney is a big in the modern NBA.
3) "Someone on twitter" "an undisclosed player told" - :roll:
4) When did Marks ever state he did not want to compete? Are you confusing it with the Windhorst report stating "“Joe Tsai would rather have a team that plays hard that he's proud to own that wins 40 games and fights for the play-in than have a team that has way more talent that he's not proud to be a part of.”
Skyline718
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#89 » by Skyline718 » Tue May 9, 2023 8:26 pm

This is where i read it from

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#90 » by TheNetsFan » Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 am

Skyline718 wrote:This is where i read it from

Read on Twitter

Seems extremely credible. :clown:
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#91 » by JoseRizal » Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 am

With Portland jumping to pick 3rd in this year's draft, there are a lot of possible scenarios that could impact us.

Hypothetical question. If the Hornets draft Brandon Miller 2nd (which is possible since they have LaMelo), that means Scoot will be free to take at the 3rd. Knowing Dame wants to still compete and play alongside Mikal, would you guys be willing to trade Bridges to the Blazers for a chance to land Scoot and a few more players (for salary matching)?

Alternatively, it could also make it easier for Portland to trade away Dame, and build around Scoot.

Edit. Come to think of it, Brandon Miller won't be a bad exchange as well.

Thoughts?
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 913

Post#92 » by Decipher » Wed May 17, 2023 10:11 am

JoseRizal wrote:With Portland jumping to pick 3rd in this year's draft, there are a lot of possible scenarios that could impact us.

Hypothetical question. If the Hornets draft Brandon Miller 2nd (which is possible since they have LaMelo), that means Scoot will be free to take at the 3rd. Knowing Dame wants to still compete and play alongside Mikal, would you guys be willing to trade Bridges to the Blazers for a chance to land Scoot and a few more players (for salary matching)?

Alternatively, it could also make it easier for Portland to trade away Dame, and build around Scoot.

Thoughts?

Nets don’t have a 2024 first rounder so need to get better in the short term
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#93 » by JoseRizal » Wed May 17, 2023 1:35 pm

Decipher wrote:
JoseRizal wrote:With Portland jumping to pick 3rd in this year's draft, there are a lot of possible scenarios that could impact us.

Thoughts?

I respect your opinion, however, like in the aftermath of the previous Billy King regime, all traded FRP's are considered sunk cost and should not be the basis in making decisions to improve the team's chances in being better long term.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#94 » by TheNetsFan » Wed May 17, 2023 4:30 pm

JoseRizal wrote:
Decipher wrote:

Thoughts?

I respect your opinion, however, like in the aftermath of the previous Billy King regime, all traded FRP's are considered sunk cost and should not be the basis in making decisions to improve the team's chances in being better long term.

Agreed. Every move should be made according to a plan to be a title contender by the '25-'26 season. That's 3 off-seasons & 2 seasons to shuffle assets, work the cap sheet, develop players and position ourselves for a run. Better or worse in '23-'24 doesn't matter. No pick in the weak '24 draft should not affect decision making. It's all about competing by 2025.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Post#95 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 17, 2023 5:52 pm

Trading Bridges is a non-starter to me.

First off, no way does Charlotte not draft Scoot. Would be insane and even they are not that dumb.

Miller is not worth Bridges. And we have no incentive to tank because we don't have our picks.

I'm still set on building around Simmons/Bridges/Claxton.

And I don't want to trade for Dame either. Stay the course.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 913

Post#96 » by Decipher » Wed May 17, 2023 5:56 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
JoseRizal wrote:
Decipher wrote:

Agreed. Every move should be made according to a plan to be a title contender by the '25-'26 season. That's 3 off-seasons & 2 seasons to shuffle assets, work the cap sheet, develop players and position ourselves for a run. Better or worse in '23-'24 doesn't matter. No pick in the weak '24 draft should not affect decision making. It's all about competing by 2025.

Bridges is a proven commodity whereas the #3 pick is not

I’d trade him for a package based around Sharpe but not the pick
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#97 » by NyCeEvO » Wed May 17, 2023 6:17 pm

Thoughts?

In short, probably.

I like Bridges, but 1) I don't see an easy path to contention in the next 1-2 years, and 2) I do honestly wonder if his value will be any higher than it is at the present.

He'll be 27 at the start of the season. He's put up good offensive numbers as a lead player on a mediocre Nets team; but I think he'd be best as a 3rd option on a contending team.

As a non-1st (or even 2nd) option, he should still have the energy to be a great defender while still providing reliable offense.

Scoot looks like he could be a legit franchise cornerstone. Ideally, I'd like if POR would include Simons with the #3 pick, but I have a feeling that they might turn that down.

I haven't watched enough of Miller to know how good he is. I've only heard that he performed poorly in the tournament and has?/had? a murder charge, which isn't a good look for any franchise taking him on unless he's fully cleared of any involvement.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#98 » by TheNetsFan » Wed May 17, 2023 7:10 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

Thoughts?

In short, probably.

I like Bridges, but 1) I don't see an easy path to contention in the next 1-2 years, and 2) I do honestly wonder if his value will be any higher than it is at the present.

He'll be 27 at the start of the season. He's put up good offensive numbers as a lead player on a mediocre Nets team; but I think he'd be best as a 3rd option on a contending team.

As a non-1st (or even 2nd) option, he should still have the energy to be a great defender while still providing reliable offense.

Scoot looks like he could be a legit franchise cornerstone. Ideally, I'd like if POR would include Simons with the #3 pick, but I have a feeling that they might turn that down.

I haven't watched enough of Miller to know how good he is. I've only heard that he performed poorly in the tournament and has?/had? a murder charge, which isn't a good look for any franchise taking him on unless he's fully cleared of any involvement.

Not for a "chance" to draft Scoot. If Scoot is Marks' guy, a trade can't happen until after Charlotte selects Miller. You can't make a trade for #3 & then not get the player you wanted.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#99 » by NyCeEvO » Wed May 17, 2023 7:17 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

Thoughts?

In short, probably.

Not for a "chance" to draft Scoot. If Scoot is Marks' guy, a trade can't happen until after Charlotte selects Miller. You can't make a trade for #3 & then not get the player you wanted.

Yes, you are right. I should've been more clear.

I wrote with the assumption that 1) CHA doesn't select Scoot, leaves him available to be drafted at #3 and 2) POR is willing to draft him and then trade him to us.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#100 » by GTR11 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:01 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Trading Bridges is a non-starter to me.

First off, no way does Charlotte not draft Scoot. Would be insane and even they are not that dumb.

Miller is not worth Bridges. And we have no incentive to tank because we don't have our picks.

I'm still set on building around Simmons/Bridges/Claxton.

And I don't want to trade for Dame either. Stay the course.

Them looking for new owner, LaMelo being due for extension and now Scoot option is very intriguing opportunity for us.

One option I won't eliminate though is, they interested in Miller as an option. Which makes Dame to BK or Bridges to Portland option open. I won't disregard Marks trading Bridges to Portland yet. We got assets just as good and I argue better than any other team out there.

This off-season going to be exiting to monitor to say least :nod:

Return to Brooklyn Nets