RealGM
And1: 10,397

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#641 » by JRoy » Sun May 28, 2023 4:16 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
"by far the 3 best players in the deal..."

Holy Cow! I don't know where to start. That means you think Dorian Finney-Smith or Ben Simmons have more value than Jaden Hardy?!

Have you ever watched a minute of Dallas Mavericks basketball. First, Ben Simmons is a negative asset. He has a 6-10 240 lb body and his head is orbiting somewhere around Pluto. He's only played 42 games the past 2 seasons. He's like Chuck Knoblauch. He has the yips. Too scared to attempt an open 3 point shot or even to attempt to dunk a basketball from 2 feet away. Ben Simmons has no value on the trade market. If Nets attempted to trade Simmons independently, it would take multiple picks to entice another team to accept Simmons. Facts.

Hardy is much more valuable than DFS. I would go on to discuss this, but it'll just be a waste of time. All I'll say is how original. A fan who overvalues his team's players.

Scoring guards are a dime a dozen in today's league. It is much harder to find a player with Ben's skillset than Hardy. We already know what Ben is capable of and if he comes back to be somewhat near his rookie form, then this deal is highway robbery.

It is you that is overvaluing your team's players. There is nothing that Hardy has done to prove that he is a better prospect than Cam Thomas

Lol cool. Keep Simmons. No one wants Ben.

If ya'll knew how to evaluate the players & the picks, then you'd be able to come back with a counter offer that you did think was fair. I'm not going to get one of those. You don't know where the market is for your players. You over value them. I also don't hear anyone here having an intelligent discussion about the value of future draft picks.

Neutral third party here, fan of neither and that trade is straight garbage.

Good only for DAL and it’s not close.

Simmons is a distressed asset I’d like my team to grab at a discount but even that doesn’t come close to balancing the deal.

Turrible.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#642 » by kan_t » Sun May 28, 2023 11:12 am

The only realistic way I see for the Nets to trade Simmons is to make him as a salary matching piece for a bigger star. There is no reason for them to unload him just to clear salary. Tsai has money and there is already report that he's willing to pay 100m luxury tax for the coming season.
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#643 » by kan_t » Sun May 28, 2023 11:15 am

In addition, if the Nets want to go for tank route and trade Bridges, the Blazers or Rockets picks would be much more valuable than what the Mavs could offer.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#644 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 pm

I know this is crazy talk, but have to wonder if we make a play for Zion…
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#645 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 30, 2023 2:36 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I know this is crazy talk, but have to wonder if we make a play for Zion…

No way!

He brings nothing but headlines lol

Very overrated imo cuz he's hurt AF
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,246

Post#646 » by Papi_swav » Tue May 30, 2023 2:55 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I know this is crazy talk, but have to wonder if we make a play for Zion…

love the player and he has huge potential but dude just eats himself into injuries every year. He reminds me of Eddy Curry with the weight problems
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#647 » by GTR11 » Tue May 30, 2023 2:56 am

CalamityX12 wrote:

No way!

He is Melo 2.0 Flashy and can be a weapon. Not reliable and mediocre on the other hand. Type players mind set and work ethic is why you stay away no matter how tempting it is.

Perfect fit for Ping Pong boys cross the river. Mediocrity is in their DNA now.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Post#648 » by Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 am

CalamityX12 wrote:

No way!

This team has no assets. Taking on rehabilitation projects like KD and Ben is the only shot we have at getting affordable star talent. If the Nets have a chance at getting Zion, they need to do it.

This franchise clawed their back into relevance after the D Will era by taking on players that were undervalued and unwanted. We went away from that during the KD era, and it's time to bring it back.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#649 » by GTR11 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:39 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:

No way!

This team has no assets. Taking on rehabilitation projects like KD and Ben is the only shot we have at getting affordable star talent. If the Nets have a chance at getting Zion, they need to do it.

This franchise clawed their back into relevance after the D Will era by taking on players that were undervalued and unwanted. We went away from that during the KD era, and it's time to bring it back.

WTF

:rofl: :crazy:

Their GM quite and their best players dissed him on the way out. BI already sent hints he wants out.

Now tell us exactly why we need to trade for him again?
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#650 » by Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2023 4:10 am

GTR11 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:No way!

WTF

Their GM quite and their best players dissed him on the way out. BI already sent hints he wants out.

Because he would be the best player on this team and this is the only possible way to get him; When his value is low.

Or would you prefer to wait until he puts together a healthy season of 30-8-5 and then offer a poo poo platter of high draft picks?
GTR11
RealGM

Post#651 » by GTR11 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:20 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

WTF

Because he would be the best player on this team and this is the only possible way to get him; When his value is low.

Or would you prefer to wait until he puts together a healthy season of 30-8-5 and then offer a poo poo platter of high draft picks?

My man, please explain to me what part of poor work ethic and dedication to work you didn't understand.

Didn't we just have Kyrie on this team?

If Zion is available while just getting new contract there is a good reason why.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#652 » by Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2023 5:10 am

GTR11 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
GTR11 wrote:WTF

My man, please explain to me what part of poor work ethic and dedication to work you didn't understand.

If Zion is available while just getting new contract there is a good reason why.

And? This is a talent league. This team does not have talent and the chances of getting someone in the draft that is as good as Zion is pretty much 0.

It's really that simple. Look at what happened when TOR traded their hard working homegrown star in Demar Derozan for the much more talented, but oft injured Kawhi Leonard. They won the championship with Leonard on load management
GTR11
RealGM

Post#653 » by GTR11 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:11 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

And? This is a talent league. This team does not have talent and the chances of getting someone in the draft that is as good as Zion is pretty much 0.

It's really that simple. Look at what happened when TOR traded their hard working homegrown star in Demar Derozan for the much more talented, but oft injured Kawhi Leonard. They won the championship with Leonard on load management

Until you understand words work ethics and dedication, this conversation won't go anywhere.

Also, Kawhi is a franchise player. DeRozen is not and never was. Zion showed no indication of being franchise player whatsoever, NONE !!! He's not even a team leader, Ingram and CJ are. That's why they spoke out, and that's what entire team thinks.

Pull it to you like this. Type players like KD, Brown and Biid who are/can be considered franchise players still can't and won't win championships as a lead guys because of their DEDICATION!!! DEDICATION IN TEAM SPORTS ALSO MEANS SACRIFICE -> WILLINGNESS TO LEARN -> BEING A LEADER !!!

It takes time for all of them to understand that no matter how great of a players they are. Jordan started to win after after year 8, LBJ same, Bird etc etc.

Of course there are some exceptions like Timmy or D.Wade for example. But even than a lot had to align right. Meaning-> Great HC, owner that willing to spend-> GM that could balance team and a lot of luck along.

Just collecting talent will never be a successful recipe for a chip. We just went through it and reason why i said we don't need another Kyrie.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#654 » by GTR11 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:53 am

https://youtu.be/WYCme0MJCh0

Chuck dropped some gems right there. Agreed 100% on everything he said. Start listening from 10:07
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#655 » by Shark » Tue May 30, 2023 2:03 pm

If we add Zion I wouldn't be shocked to see change their tune on him a month or two after he arrives at the first sign of health issues. Like, we're already dealing with it with Ben, why would we want to do the same with Zion? Obvious difference between both is that Zion has shown he can get it done when he's on the court. But all of these injuries will start to take their toll.

So no, if Zion is made available we shouldn't trade for him. It makes little sense because the one the we really need is a star that will be available, unlike KD (injured a lot), Kyrie (because he always had to do his own thing), and Ben (combination of mental and physical issues).
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#656 » by Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Shark wrote:If we add Zion I wouldn't be shocked to see change their tune on him a month or two after he arrives at the first sign of health issues. Like, we're already dealing with it with Ben, why would we want to do the same with Zion? Obvious difference between both is that Zion has shown he can get it done when he's on the court. But all of these injuries will start to take their toll.

So no, if Zion is made available we shouldn't trade for him. It makes little sense because the one the we really need is a star that will be available, unlike KD (injured a lot), Kyrie (because he always had to do his own thing), and Ben (combination of mental and physical issues).

We do not have the assets to acquire a ready made franchise player. And expecting one to just come and sign here is delusional. If we want one, we have to buy low on guys like Zion and build him up to be that guy. There is no other way.

It is a franchise's responsibility to nurture and build up their players so that they can maximize their potential. That is what separates teams like MIA from teams like HOU.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#657 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Tue May 30, 2023 4:30 pm

Some names that I would like to take a look at to build some depth around Bridges, Cam Johnson, and Claxton, and that shouldn't cost a crazy amount to get would be Davion Mitchell from Sacramento, Bol Bol from Orlando, Obi Toppin from NYK, and Kuminga from Golden State. None of these guys should cost too much pick and/or player wise to get in my opinion while still being young enough to remain on the team for the foreseeable future and contributing in areas of need:

Mitchell: ball handler with speed and great defense.
Bol: Big man with range that extends to the 3 point line (in my opinio, a perfect backup to Claxton to play 15-18 minutes a night)
Toppin: elite athleticism who has shown the ability to hit 3s as a stretch four (not sure Knicks-Nets would make a deal though)
Kuminga: I'm not sure he would be fit with the team the way it is presently constructed roster wise, but I just personally think he is being wasted in Golden State and could be an impact player on a team that gives him a consistent nightly role

Just wanted to throw something new out there to the board, thoughts?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#658 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:

No way!

Zion has shown very poor work ethic which has contributed to his ongoing I juries

Swore he chose not to play with team in play in spot, out there dunking in practice.

No way. I'll make a strong play for Brandon Ingram to pair with Mikail and Cam but not Zion.

Guy hasn't proven to stay healthy and would be a chunk of cap sitting dressed on the bench. We already have one in Ben
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#659 » by Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2023 6:45 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:No way!

Zion has shown very poor work ethic which has contributed to his ongoing I juries

Swore he chose not to play with team in play in spot, out there dunking in practice.

No way. I'll make a strong play for Brandon Ingram to pair with Mikail and Cam but not Zion.

Guy hasn't proven to stay healthy and would be a chunk of cap sitting dressed on the bench. We already have one in Ben

Brandon Ingram hasn't proven to stay healthy either. So why do you want to make the play for the inferior player?

And Zion having poor work ethic makes no sense considering that he has gotten better everytime he stepped on the court. Contrast this with Ben Simmons who continues to get worse every time he suits up.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#660 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 30, 2023 9:42 pm

Wonder if Boston will trade Jaylen Brown for Lillard?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets