ImageImageImageImageImage

Early discussion on the 2023 offseason

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#661 » by GTR11 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:02 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Wonder if Boston will trade Jaylen Brown for Lillard?

Brown has one year left on his contract and he won't resign with Blazers. If anything he wants to play in his hometown or near by Miami. He had ATL cap in his post game presser and be spending most time there.

Saltics has big question this off-season. They either extend Brown to 60+ million per year contract or trade him to the teams he will resign with. Him and Tatum will be eating 2/3 of the cap space and will force them to get rid of Smart and Brogdan this or next off-season.

Some of you need to come to understanding how great of the contract and player Bridges is. 3rd pick alone is not enough, or any other trade that will be proposed will need to be Gobert level signification.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#662 » by GTR11 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 am

Some of you need to come out the code and give Marks his props for the trade he pulled out. He pulled highway robbery vs PHX.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#663 » by GTR11 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:35 am

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#664 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:54 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
This team has no assets. Taking on rehabilitation projects like KD and Ben is the only shot we have at getting affordable star talent. If the Nets have a chance at getting Zion, they need to do it.

This franchise clawed their back into relevance after the D Will era by taking on players that were undervalued and unwanted. We went away from that during the KD era, and it's time to bring it back.

Zion has shown very poor work ethic which has contributed to his ongoing I juries

Swore he chose not to play with team in play in spot, out there dunking in practice.

No way. I'll make a strong play for Brandon Ingram to pair with Mikail and Cam but not Zion.

Guy hasn't proven to stay healthy and would be a chunk of cap sitting dressed on the bench. We already have one in Ben

Brandon Ingram hasn't proven to stay healthy either. So why do you want to make the play for the inferior player?

And Zion having poor work ethic makes no sense considering that he has gotten better everytime he stepped on the court. Contrast this with Ben Simmons who continues to get worse every time he suits up.

I wonder what the consensus would be, would fans want Ingram or Zion?

Zion doesn't get on the floor, Brandon plays thru injuries so zion isn't exactly proven force when he hides on the bench
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#665 » by drchaos » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:56 pm

Given our pick situation it would seem that we need to build a team that can compete this year so that we can sell high on anything worth trading at either the trade deadline or next year's draft.

That way we can go in the tank next year with young talent that can get the playing time to develop while being too raw to win consistently.

In Marks we trust.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#666 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:30 pm

interesting proposal on the main board:

hugepatsfan wrote:BOS gives: G Marcus Smart
BOS gets: G Kevin Huerter, G Patty Mills

Why? Move Smart for a better shooter. Small payroll benefit there as he makes ~$3M/year less on his deal. Mills taken back mainly for money reasons, but adds a championship vet. Presumably Pritchard will be on the move in a separate deal so Mills takes that role as an expiring deal.

SAC gives: G Kevin Huerter, C Richuan Holmes
SAC gets: F Dorian Finney-Smith, G Joe Harris

Why? Swap Huerter for a 3&D type forward while taking Joe Harris back to replace the perimeter shooting. Shed the extra year of Holmes' contract as well. Preserves their cap space since this is done through salary matching.

BRK gives: F Dorian Finney-Smith, G Joe Harris, G Patty Mills
BRK gets: G Marcus Smart, C Richuan Holmes

Why? They save $10M which should enable them to re-sign Cam Johnson and stay below the tax. They're in the culture-setting stage right now and Smart is good for that while addressing their lack of PG depth.

For a bunch of spare parts I think Smart would be a great pickup. The only argument against a deal like this would be if it's just better to sign FVV.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#667 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jun 3, 2023 3:37 am

Netaman wrote:interesting proposal on the main board:

hugepatsfan wrote:BOS gives: G Marcus Smart
BOS gets: G Kevin Huerter, G Patty Mills

Why? Move Smart for a better shooter. Small payroll benefit there as he makes ~$3M/year less on his deal. Mills taken back mainly for money reasons, but adds a championship vet. Presumably Pritchard will be on the move in a separate deal so Mills takes that role as an expiring deal.

SAC gives: G Kevin Huerter, C Richuan Holmes
SAC gets: F Dorian Finney-Smith, G Joe Harris

Why? Swap Huerter for a 3&D type forward while taking Joe Harris back to replace the perimeter shooting. Shed the extra year of Holmes' contract as well. Preserves their cap space since this is done through salary matching.

BRK gives: F Dorian Finney-Smith, G Joe Harris, G Patty Mills
BRK gets: G Marcus Smart, C Richuan Holmes

Why? They save $10M which should enable them to re-sign Cam Johnson and stay below the tax. They're in the culture-setting stage right now and Smart is good for that while addressing their lack of PG depth.

For a bunch of spare parts I think Smart would be a great pickup. The only argument against a deal like this would be if it's just better to sign FVV.

I don't love the third season left on Smart's deal, but he should be easily movable if needed. I'd rather drop the Holmes and Harris portion.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#668 » by Eatgreenz » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:44 pm

Kevin Ollie on the coaching staff
Read on Twitter
?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#669 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:07 pm

Ollie seems like a really good hire. Also maybe interesting that he was in the org with the Thompson twins for the last 2 years with so many top 10 picks seemingly up for sale.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#670 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:50 pm

would also imagine he's still got some pretty good intel on uconn guys that may be in the 20's range like hawkins and jackson.

ollie could be the head coach over jv and i think id be fine with that and maybe even prefer it. much better hire than a lot of the other names that had been rumored prior (imo).
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#671 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:51 pm

Netaman wrote:Ollie seems like a really good hire. Also maybe interesting that he was in the org with the Thompson twins for the last 2 years with so many top 10 picks seemingly up for sale.

No. This is a GREAT hire. He should’ve gotten the job over JV.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#672 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:53 pm

Paradise wrote:
Netaman wrote:Ollie seems like a really good hire. Also maybe interesting that he was in the org with the Thompson twins for the last 2 years with so many top 10 picks seemingly up for sale.

No. This is a GREAT hire. He should’ve gotten the job over JV.

ha literally just posted the same thing. i think they are pretty similar so im fine with the reality of them both on the same staff. good plan B ready to go if the main guy tanks.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#673 » by Born_Ready » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:00 pm

Love the Ollie addition. Ironically, I was talking to my son and his best friend about Ollie a couple weeks back. I was hearing his name (in the media) circulating for some of the coaching vacancies and thought he would be back coaching again soon. To land him as an assistant is an under the radar upgrade to the coaching staff. And, there is no doubt in my mind that if Jacque Vaughn flounders, Ollie can usurp him and take the lead coaching role. Very impressive move by the organization, imo.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#674 » by Eatgreenz » Sat Jun 3, 2023 10:49 pm

These hiring looks like we might focus on development and not go star chasing unless someone demands a trade.
Read on Twitter
?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#675 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 3, 2023 11:58 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:These hiring looks like we might focus on development and not go star chasing unless someone demands a trade.
Read on Twitter
?

i REALLY hope they have a few guys they like enough to move up aggressively in the draft.

add a ROY level player who fits with Bridges, Claxton, CJ, and then s&t for FVV. Pray the 'Simmons finally healthy' hype is real.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#676 » by GTR11 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 3:41 am

Eatgreenz wrote:These hiring looks like we might focus on development and not go star chasing unless someone demands a trade.
Read on Twitter
?

Yeah, most definitely these hirings more about development and has nothing to do with competing right now.

I need to start practicing my JV trashing speeches.

Ben posting a lot of work out stuff. His probation start this season. If he fails, need to use his expiring as salary filler for someone who's available. If he gets back to his borderline all star level, that's when and where things can get very intriguing/interesting.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#677 » by Rastas » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:01 am

These 2 coaching additions are a good reason why Nets fans should not be so hard on Marks - other than the JV extension and letting Brown walk he keeps bringing in positive assets for the team , very interested in seeing what he does this Draft ,off season and next TDL.
Also yes I have been monitoring Ben plenty this offseason and it's all positive in the direction he is heading in , it feels he has a new leaf of life after decoupling Klutch.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#678 » by Eatgreenz » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:51 am

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

Yeah, most definitely these hirings more about development and has nothing to do with competing right now.

I need to start practicing my JV trashing speeches.

Ben posting a lot of work out stuff. His probation start this season. If he fails, need to use his expiring as salary filler for someone who's available. If he gets back to his borderline all star level, that's when and where things can get very intriguing/interesting.

100% Ben is the biggest wildcard we have that could get us back into competing in the east if he gets back to philly level. God for bid if he took another turn like deciding to shoot right handed and got avg jumpshot man we talkin a top 10ish player. I think he will try his best to get atleast to philly level, just off the fact he seems to want to be part of the Nets.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#679 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 4, 2023 12:07 pm

I don’t trust anything about Ben. You ship him out the first split second you can, for something of value, or an expiring contract, or a vet on a two year deal whose wildly overpaid but makes perfect sense to help the young guys who matter’s, progress(Bridges, Clax, Cam J, any draft picks this year).
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#680 » by Netaman » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:17 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t trust anything about Ben. You ship him out the first split second you can, for something of value, or an expiring contract, or a vet on a two year deal whose wildly overpaid but makes perfect sense to help the young guys who matter’s, progress(Bridges, Clax, Cam J, any draft picks this year).

i dont think there's any deal that makes sense for him at the moment. you would have to take back an equally bad amount of $ that likely runs longer than his. i think you come up with a way to maximize him this year and if he tanks then he's at least an expiring next summer.

Return to Brooklyn Nets