ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets @ 76ERS- Game 2 playoffs- 4/17- 7:30 Yes & TNT

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Re: Nets @ 76ERS- Game 2 playoffs- 4/17- 7:30 Yes & TNT 

Post#141 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:16 am

MGrand15 wrote:I don't buy ANY complaints about the defense or rebounding or double teams or whatever.

We shut Philly down last night. Philly averages 115 PPG. We held them to 96. Even the second half where they had more success, they only scored 52. That's absolutely nothing in today's NBA. The defense did it's job.

Our offense was just a complete failure. You can't be the worst offensive team in the league and expect to have any success.

Guys have to make their shots. They were there in both halves.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#142 » by NetsWorld » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Did Doc really adjust on the defensive end? I feel like Sixers have been giving the Nets opportunities all game and Nets simply couldn't convert.

In the 2nd half, Embiid operated from the elbow, than from the block. He turns the ball too much on doubles at the block.

Then defensively, Sixers played more zone defense

No disrespect, but Sixers tried to see if they can play their B game in the first half, after that dominant performance in game 1. When that was not in the cards after trailing in the first half, Sixers went back to their A game and it was over

Eh... That's an unhealthy dose of copium.

The Nets pushed the Sixers. Doc came with no adjustments and the Sixers unsustainable three-point shooting from Game 1 couldn't carry over to Game 2.

The Sixers are a better team but the Nets have certainly highlighted some serious concerns that other better teams will be capable of exploiting to a greater degree...

THANK YOU! It's amazing that only fellow Nets fans can see my point I tried to make in the general forum, the Sixers are in serious trouble going forward and Harden's play reflects that. Sixers fans can't accept reality, but Boston is head and shoulders going to be favored over them.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#143 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:
76ciology wrote:
In the 2nd half, Embiid operated from the elbow, than from the block. He turns the ball too much on doubles at the block.

Then defensively, Sixers played more zone defense

No disrespect, but Sixers tried to see if they can play their B game in the first half, after that dominant performance in game 1. When that was not in the cards after trailing in the first half, Sixers went back to their A game and it was over

Eh... That's an unhealthy dose of copium.

The Nets pushed the Sixers. Doc came with no adjustments and the Sixers unsustainable three-point shooting from Game 1 couldn't carry over to Game 2.

The Sixers are a better team but the Nets have certainly highlighted some serious concerns that other better teams will be capable of exploiting to a greater degree...

THANK YOU! It's amazing that only fellow Nets fans can see my point I tried to make in the general forum, the Sixers are in serious trouble going forward and Harden's play reflects that. Sixers fans can't accept reality, but Boston is head and shoulders going to be favored over them.

I think Harden will bounce back and will have a big game in G3. But yeah, he’s struggling to score but he’s been a great floor maestro for us.

Regarding boston, they will be favored alot by everyone. Im not saying we will beat them (I think we have a good chance), but being the underdog makes it much more sweeter to beat them in the next round.

Atleast we’ll get some media attention unlike right now where I dont see any podcasts covering this series from windy, KOC and Zach Lowe.

Btw regarding the adjustment.

Open shots by Sixers
1st half: 10
2nd half: 20

Sixers leading the playoffs now in spot ups and is scoring 1.34ppp

I think Nets should have went easy on the Sixers in the first half. Make it feel like Sixers is doing OK by playing man to man and having Biid operate from the low block.

Let Sixers play like that until the game gets close in crunch time where you guys can take a chance with variance.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#144 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:24 pm

I don't want to agree with a 6ers fan but I was just about to post this. Just because the 76ers had a low scoring game it doesn't mean the Nets were locking them down.

In the first half Philly made it much easier to double Embiid by where he was catching the ball. That made it easier to filter 3s to PJ Tucker and Harris. Maybe Philly just wanted to see how things looked but once they went back to how they did things in Game 1(Embiid catching it from the top of the key area) it spread out the Nets defense and made it hard to cover so much ground. Swing, Swing and it lead to an open 3. When JV contoured by playing a basic zone(his only counter ever), they placed their worst shooter in the dunker spot (Harris/Tucker), with Embiid out top and that lead to multiple open 3s, particularly to Maxey. When no double came, Embiid got multiple free driving lanes to the rim.

If the Nets do the same stuff again in G3, I'm expecting another L because Philly is a good 3pt shooting team and they have the formula that works. Harden probably won't be that bad either. JV has to do something actually different. Either we switch up the doubling scheme or the Nets pivot to try to out score Philly.

Personally, I rather go with the outscore option, mainly because (i) I don't think the Nets are flexible enough to start playing more complicated defensive schemes when they haven't done this all season and (ii) the Nets have the tools to put up better offensive output.

Here are some things off the top of my head we can do:
1) Play Sumner and Cam. They both put real pressure on Philly to defend. Sumner's speed and Cam's shot making could take advantage of Philly's defensive weaknesses. Throw them in early in game and see if they can catch a rhythm. If not, then you can bench them.

2) Lean all the way into small ball. I would start Royce/Joe over Claxton and play 5 out from the start.

3) If you must start Claxton, the put Claxton in the Timelord role by having him guard Tucker, leaving DFS as Embiid's primary defender. Having Claxton as the roaming help defender puts in him in a far more advantageous position than being swallowed in the post vs Embiid. Clax can easily cheat off Tucker and should be athletic enough to close out and affect Tucker's 3.

4) Play Yuta in small spark plug mins. Whether you play him at the 4 or 5 to spread the floor, use him in a smart way. His hustle/effort plays can energize the crowd and the team. He doesn't have to play big mins to do this. If his shot is falling, ride the wave.

5) Run plays for our shooters!!! It's really annoying that JV insists on playing Joe but he has almost never gets designed actions to free him up properly. Most of his 3's come after Din pounds the ball or a rushed shot in transition. One thing that made him so effective under Kenny(and low key S1 under Nash), is that they would run at least 1 play per quarter for him where he gets an open 3 in his spots. Same thing for Seth Curry. Seth is not a PG!! Run plays for him to get him open instead of asking him to initiate offense and shoot off the dribble. Where are all the Iverson cuts he was so lethal at in Philly??! Ughh

We'll probably come out and be vanilla again on offense and defense but I'm going to hope JV shows us he's not a rigid coach who can only do 2-3 things.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#145 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:17 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:5) Run plays for our shooters!!! It's really annoying that JV insists on playing Joe but he has almost never gets designed actions to free him up properly. Most of his 3's come after Din pounds the ball or a rushed shot in transition. One thing that made him so effective under Kenny(and low key S1 under Nash), is that they would run at least 1 play per quarter for him where he gets an open 3 in his spots. Same thing for Seth Curry. Seth is not a PG!! Run plays for him to get him open instead of asking him to initiate offense and shoot off the dribble. Where are all the Iverson cuts he was so lethal at in Philly??! Ughh

We'll probably come out and be vanilla again on offense and defense but I'm going to hope JV shows us he's not a rigid coach who can only do 2-3 things.

I've been screaming that we need to run off ball actions to free up not only bridges but other shooters as well.

I don't support heaping all the blame on Vaughn for why this team is going to lose, but he's not helping either. This team needs a coach that understands that Modern NBA offenses that are three point heavy also run actions to create those shots.

Sumner needs to play to pick up the pace. We need to get out in transition. Watching Spencer take 20 seconds to pound a hole into the floor before passing to someone for a rushed bail out shot is garbage basketball. This team is unwatchable.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#146 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 pm

IDK how you guys can defend this guy.

Read on Twitter
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#147 » by ChuckS » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:05 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:I don't want to agree with a 6ers fan but I was just about to post this. Just because the 76ers had a low scoring game it doesn't mean the Nets were locking them down.

In the first half Philly made it much easier to double Embiid by where he was catching the ball. That made it easier to filter 3s to PJ Tucker and Harris. Maybe Philly just wanted to see how things looked but once they went back to how they did things in Game 1(Embiid catching it from the top of the key area) it spread out the Nets defense and made it hard to cover so much ground. Swing, Swing and it lead to an open 3. When JV contoured by playing a basic zone(his only counter ever), they placed their worst shooter in the dunker spot (Harris/Tucker), with Embiid out top and that lead to multiple open 3s, particularly to Maxey. When no double came, Embiid got multiple free driving lanes to the rim.

If the Nets do the same stuff again in G3, I'm expecting another L because Philly is a good 3pt shooting team and they have the formula that works. Harden probably won't be that bad either. JV has to do something actually different. Either we switch up the doubling scheme or the Nets pivot to try to out score Philly.

Personally, I rather go with the outscore option, mainly because (i) I don't think the Nets are flexible enough to start playing more complicated defensive schemes when they haven't done this all season and (ii) the Nets have the tools to put up better offensive output.

Here are some things off the top of my head we can do:
1) Play Sumner and Cam. They both put real pressure on Philly to defend. Sumner's speed and Cam's shot making could take advantage of Philly's defensive weaknesses. Throw them in early in game and see if they can catch a rhythm. If not, then you can bench them.

2) Lean all the way into small ball. I would start Royce/Joe over Claxton and play 5 out from the start.

3) If you must start Claxton, the put Claxton in the Timelord role by having him guard Tucker, leaving DFS as Embiid's primary defender. Having Claxton as the roaming help defender puts in him in a far more advantageous position than being swallowed in the post vs Embiid. Clax can easily cheat off Tucker and should be athletic enough to close out and affect Tucker's 3.

4) Play Yuta in small spark plug mins. Whether you play him at the 4 or 5 to spread the floor, use him in a smart way. His hustle/effort plays can energize the crowd and the team. He doesn't have to play big mins to do this. If his shot is falling, ride the wave.

5) Run plays for our shooters!!! It's really annoying that JV insists on playing Joe but he has almost never gets designed actions to free him up properly. Most of his 3's come after Din pounds the ball or a rushed shot in transition. One thing that made him so effective under Kenny(and low key S1 under Nash), is that they would run at least 1 play per quarter for him where he gets an open 3 in his spots. Same thing for Seth Curry. Seth is not a PG!! Run plays for him to get him open instead of asking him to initiate offense and shoot off the dribble. Where are all the Iverson cuts he was so lethal at in Philly??! Ughh

Like MDB, I particularly agree with number 5. I've been somewhat surprised and disappointed with Kokoskov's motion offense. It too often seems stagnant and unimaginative. But it's possible that much can be attributed to so many new players, without the benefit of a preseason to acclimate. I remember when Havlicek came into the league many thinking he would not last, because he never stopped moving. A modern day example is Steph Curry. Watch him after he gives up the ball. All we have is someone coming out to the perimeter to give Spencer an outlet, or him penetrating to create an open man.

With this team I also like the idea of going even smaller by occasionally playing O'Neale with Claxton out. We have successfully done that on occasion. And Royce seems to annoy Embid at least as much as Nic. I have mixed feelings, however, about Joe Harris. He plays hard and smart, and I think was the only plus on court player we had last game. But he's getting paid for making threes and I've waited two years with few examples of what he once did.

On the other hand, I think our biggest obstacle in competing with too many teams is the fact that we are too small even with Claxton. I believe our first goal this summer should be to find a "big" center and/or power forward, preferably one who is also an inside scoring threat. In addition to helping our rebounding problem, it would diversify our offense with an inside out threat, while also helping our perimeter shooters.

I'm less convinced with going deeper into our bench against good teams, except maybe rarely for purposes of rest. I think there is a consensus that we are out-talented in the playoffs this year. It seems counter intuitive, to me, to play lesser caliber players more, thinking they will do more than that of which they are probably capable. Our subs lost to the 76er subs in the last game of the season by 29 points. That was with Cam T getting an efficient 46 points, but the rest of the team shooting 38%, and having twice the turnovers that our regulars had last game against the 76ers.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#148 » by Stone » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:25 pm

Just wanted to add, with all the attention that Mikal Bridges gets as far as improving to star status. Cam Johnson is another player that could make a leap. He has the IQ and the work ethic, time will tell.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#149 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:32 pm

Cam Thomas clearly does need to play.

Our entire strategy on offense is good in theory. Free open 3 point shooters. The problem is our shooters suck.

Dinwiddie/DFS/ONeal/Harris have all sucked. Even Bridges has been off from 3.

So what do we do??? We need some type of backup plan.

I don't think the Dallas bros are reliable 3 point shooters at all. And Harris always wilts under pressure.

Return to Brooklyn Nets