ImageImageImageImageImage

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Nets X Lillard - What should we do?

Trade 3 firsts (PHX this year, PHX in 2025, our own in 2028 ) + 2 2nd round picks, and a pick swap in 2029 with Dinwiddie, Harris, and Cam Thomas for Lillard + player POR decides to add
33%
Trade Bridges to POR for the 3rd pick, S Sharpe., and Simons
33%
Do not involve ourselves with POR at all this offseason
33%

Total votes: 42

JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#1 » by JKiddy » Thu May 18, 2023 6:20 pm

I do not know what to do here. But, I do know that half of the POR board is freaking out at the thoughts of trading Lillard (when that is likely the only way they can reset and contend in the future).

What do you guys think we should do?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Re: Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#2 » by TheNetsFan » Thu May 18, 2023 7:33 pm

I voted #1, but I'm not sure those are the picks I would include, and the pick swap on the back-end is a no go in my opinion. I'm also not willing to take back Nurkic's deal.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by JKiddy » Thu May 18, 2023 8:13 pm

I chose 1 too. I think we are giving up too much. They might do that and take one pick out. But, we cannot give up nothing for Dame. Dame is a stud and might be 32. But, he has 3-4 great years left in him (with some DNPs to keep him healthy for the playoffs).
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#4 » by Tha King » Thu May 18, 2023 11:22 pm

Trading for Lillard is not a good idea. That contract could be one of the worst in the league very soon. And for what? He is not taking this team to new heights and he's at the point in his career where he could fall off suddenly at any point.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tha King » Thu May 18, 2023 11:26 pm

JKiddy wrote:I chose 1 too. I think we are giving up too much. They might do that and take one pick out. But, we cannot give up nothing for Dame. Dame is a stud and might be 32. But, he has 3-4 great years left in him (with some DNPs to keep him healthy for the playoffs).

Steph is the exception, how many other point guards like Dame had 3-4 great years at his point in his career? Even if he turns into a valuable contributor like Chris Paul, with his contract that would still incredibly limit the team.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#6 » by Decipher » Thu May 18, 2023 11:56 pm

I voted 2 because Shaedon has the highest ceiling of any player in the trade plus we get #3 and could potentially trade Simon for a better fitting piece or more assets

Doubt that Blazers include Sharpe though so probably not an option
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#7 » by CalamityX12 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:13 am

I think ultimately avoid any deal with POR

However if Por offers a 3rd for Bridges

Really hard to pass that up instantly
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#8 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Fri May 19, 2023 12:25 am

I voted for #2. As much as I love Bridges, like everyone has pointed out, he will be 27 during the season and already has a lot of mileage on him. Dame, same thing, but even older and more mileage. Plus his salary would be a major obstacle to navigate when building the rest of the team.

If the nets can land Scoot at #3 and Sharpe. That is already two incredible high ceiling guys who are young to pair with Claxton. If the nets can develop Sharpe, Scoot, and Claxton, that will give the team three very talented guys and a ton of cap space for that 2025 free agency class. I think it's a moot point because the chance of the blazers offering shape and the #3 pick while also scoot falling to the third pick seems like an improbable scenario. But if it happens the ents need to make that move
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#9 » by Netaman » Fri May 19, 2023 12:59 am

i see an argument either way but i went option #1.

Claxton + Bridges + Lillard + CJ + more picks to keep adding is something im on board with. That's actually a group he who shall be not named (Simmons) could fit really well with too. 3 elite shooters to space the floor and an elite rim rummer. and all 3 of the elite shooters can create.

plus still have Oneale and DFS as tradable wings. Still have a 1st this year to hopefully grab a Hawkins type of wing.

still have Harris and Patty as expiring contracts and s3th to maybe s&t.

i see that team as much a better roster than portlands if they did trade #2. and I think in the East that team is up there with the celtics. Lillard/bridges/CJ against Smart/Tatum/Brown would be a really fun 7 game series.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#10 » by GTR11 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:15 am

I didn't vote but will say that I'm cool with both 1 and 2. Just hope Marks won't stay pat and actually get a player that can provide gravity and elevate everyone else's game.

Who will say no to Scoot if he's available at 3? That's Ja Morant level player according to scouts right now with possibility being prime D. Rose.

2. You get a Dame, Ben, Bridges with above average supporting cast. That team can compete right away vs Saltics and actually improve after next year. Make a DFS trade to Mavs for Hendricks and we got all star level rookie who will shut up Marks haters.

In my books can't lose with either or move.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#11 » by NetsWorld » Fri May 19, 2023 2:29 am

Henderson is going to Charlotte with the rumor of what happened with Miller. It will be less incentive for the Nets to trade for the 3 pick. Nets should remain patient and see who or what other package becomes available.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#12 » by Shark » Fri May 19, 2023 2:59 am

Easily 2. I like Dame, but I'm not trading away the future again for an even larger crap shoot than the KD-Irving Era. You'll be banking on Lillard staying health and hoping his play doesn't decline. You'll also needled Bridges to take the next step and provide consistent performance over an entire season and develop into a true 1b/2 option.

With option 2 you get two good young players and an additional pick which you can use for a truly quick rebuild.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#13 » by Eatgreenz » Fri May 19, 2023 3:13 am

Unless blazers offer simons, sharpe, 3rd pick only way bridges even gets considered being moved. Which i doubt they offer that much for bridges. I really seeing us standing pat or making a move for dame if it doesnt deplet the rest of our assets. If we were in the mindset of tanking or going rebuild we wouldnt have tried to make the playoffs. Marks looks like he will be patient unless a crazy deal gets offered and see what he has with this group with a full offseason and training camp. And a chance to see a healthy Ben with them.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,055

Post#14 » by Marvin Martian » Fri May 19, 2023 4:01 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:I voted for #2. As much as I love Bridges, like everyone has pointed out, he will be 27 during the season and already has a lot of mileage on him. Dame, same thing, but even older and more mileage. Plus his salary would be a major obstacle to navigate when building the rest of the team.

If the nets can land Scoot at #3 and Sharpe. That is already two incredible high ceiling guys who are young to pair with Claxton. If the nets can develop Sharpe, Scoot, and Claxton, that will give the team three very talented guys and a ton of cap space for that 2025 free agency class. I think it's a moot point because the chance of the blazers offering shape and the #3 pick while also scoot falling to the third pick seems like an improbable scenario. But if it happens the ents need to make that move

What milage? Bridges has only been in the league for 4 years.

Trading him for a rebuilding package is insane and a fireable offense. He is a former DPOY runner-up, and an efficient 3 level scorer. He has a case as being a top 20 player. It is unlikely that Scoot or Sharpe will ever be as good as Bridges is right now.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#15 » by Village Idiot » Fri May 19, 2023 11:57 am

JKiddy wrote:I do not know what to do here. But, I do know that half of the POR board is freaking out at the thoughts of trading Lillard (when that is likely the only way they can reset and contend in the future).

My take is that the Portland board isn't freaking out. It's that you're coming over there acting like an idiot, pissing people off and making illogical low-ball offers that multiple teams would beat, if Lillard were actually available to trade. All indications, from the Blazers front office to independents observers with connections to multiple teams, such as Jonathan Givony, are that at this point Lillard isn't on the market.

If I were a mod on the Blazers board I would ban you from posting there because you are incapable of civil conversation and are nothing but a troll.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
njnets62892
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#16 » by njnets62892 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:16 pm

If Portland is willing to trade the #3 pick then I'll drive Bridges to the airport myself. If you can get a prospect the caliber of Scoot or Miller then I'd tear it down and acquire as many picks and young players as possible.

I've also become more hesitant to trade those Phoenix picks with what's transpired there in the last week. Those could be high lottery picks with a reactionary owner like Ishbia running things.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by JKiddy » Fri May 19, 2023 3:32 pm

After thinking about this further, I am more on board now than even before with keeping Bridges.

Lillard will fall off after 2 seasons and his contract will be ginormous for a non All-Star. It looks like Charlotte might take Scoot so that pick's value has greatly diminished. I think the Nets will not blow it up (no incentive unless they get all their picks back from HOU) so why not build around all core players under 28/29?
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by JKiddy » Fri May 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
JKiddy wrote:I do not know what to do here. But, I do know that half of the POR board is freaking out at the thoughts of trading Lillard (when that is likely the only way they can reset and contend in the future).

My take is that the Portland board isn't freaking out. It's that you're coming over there acting like an idiot, pissing people off and making illogical low-ball offers that multiple teams would beat, if Lillard were actually available to trade. All indications, from the Blazers front office to independents observers with connections to multiple teams, such as Jonathan Givony, are that at this point Lillard isn't on the market.

If I were a mod on the Blazers board I would ban you from posting there because you are incapable of civil conversation and are nothing but a troll.

I am not trolling at all. This was discussed at length there and they understand I came to have a civil conversation to get valid opinions from local fans. Check back on the board. You will see in the latest posts how this was entirely cleared up.

Enjoy the day my friend. Be well. No stress.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#19 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:I voted for #2. As much as I love Bridges, like everyone has pointed out, he will be 27 during the season and already has a lot of mileage on him. Dame, same thing, but even older and more mileage. Plus his salary would be a major obstacle to navigate when building the rest of the team.

What milage? Bridges has only been in the league for 4 years.

Trading him for a rebuilding package is insane and a fireable offense. He is a former DPOY runner-up, and an efficient 3 level scorer. He has a case as being a top 20 player. It is unlikely that Scoot or Sharpe will ever be as good as Bridges is right now.

Actually he has played 5 years in the league and hasn't missed a single game in those 5 years. In addition to the playoff games he has played in during his time with Brooklyn and Phoenix. Also, you can include the fact that he played three seasons of college basketball (a lot more than your typical basketball star) and never missed a college game for rest/injury either.

And obviously it is a risk, you never know if a young player will achieve NBA success. But I would feel very comfortable taking the risk with Sharpe and Scoot as the two guys to build around who:

1.) Picked in the top 7 of their respective drafts
2.) On rookie-scale contracts so they are cheap
3.) Again, on rookie-scale contracts so we can feasibility have control over them for 7 and 8 years (at a minimum) with restricted free agency
4.) Both will only be 20 years old or younger by time the season starts

So when the 2025 big free agency class comes around, the team could have two young, high ceiling guys in Sharpe and Scoot on rookie contracts along with Claxton and a ton of cap space. If that scenario pans out, I'd be excited. But let me end this with saying I would only make this deal if Scoot was a available at #3. If Scoot is taken with the #2 pick, I stand pat with Bridges.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Fri May 19, 2023 10:28 pm

Definitely #2, take the young package and have a chance to rebuild this the right way. A #3 pick is an overpay for Bridges in my opinion, and then they add Sharpe too I'm definitely taking that. 2 young guys to build around with Claxton and a bunch of picks in the future that we can trade down the line for a real star "in their prime".

Also we'll have a bunch of cap space for FAs with this young core. With Dame we're going to be capped out every year and it'll be tough to bring another true star here with Dame contract.

Let's say we get Scoot at #3 and then Sharpe plus Claxton. We still have DFS, Oneale, CamJ (resigned) we can play at the 3 or trade them for more picks if we want. Scoot is pretty much a real star in the making at point, then we can let Sharpe progress and we have Claxton who is already a legit player but rising plus whatever other young guys we pick up. We let those guys develop for a year or 2, sign a wing like Jaylen Brown or a 4 like Siakam or we can eventually trade for Luka etc.. we'll have a legit dynasty in the making and a great team for years to come.

Even if we don't land Scoot, Brandon Miller or one of the thompson twins are good building blocks to have as well. This far outweighs swinging for the fences with Dame because that window will be only like 3 years, 4 year window at tops. I wouldn't be totally against this but I rather rebuild the right way instead of taking short cuts. We already tried the short cut route twice and it didn't work.

Return to Brooklyn Nets