ImageImageImageImageImage

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Nets X Lillard - What should we do?

Trade 3 firsts (PHX this year, PHX in 2025, our own in 2028 ) + 2 2nd round picks, and a pick swap in 2029 with Dinwiddie, Harris, and Cam Thomas for Lillard + player POR decides to add
33%
Trade Bridges to POR for the 3rd pick, S Sharpe., and Simons
33%
Do not involve ourselves with POR at all this offseason
33%

Total votes: 42

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#121 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 9, 2023 7:44 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
and the alternative is waiting for something better to come along that may not come.

imo it just comes down to the deal parameters, if it's a fair trade you will still have some assets for a future deal. not as many, but probably enough and you are 1 big piece closer to contention. picks 3 or 4 years down the road are unknowns and you can recover some more near future picks trading players like dfs/oneale who are somewhat replaceable.

i wouldn't mortgage the farm but i also wouldn't pass on the chance to add a legitimate all-nba level player the same age as KD was when he signed on here and is similarly defying our historical franchise gravitas in actually enthusiastically wanting to come play here. if the deal is fair (which 3 or 4 FRPs + expirings is imo).

sentimental me is also thrilled at the idea of settling all family business and righting the wrong of the gerald wallace trade lol.

That alternative is the proper avenue imho.

i think it just depends on the trade cost and whatever the near term alternatives are.

ex. if Portland says they want 5 FRPs or 6 FRPs (basically cleaning us out) and Marks knows an alternative is to just sign & trade for FVV while keeping all the picks, I totally agree. in that instance the alternative is an easy choice and you pass on Dame.

if a s&t for FVV is going to cost 1 FRP and the price on Lillard is only say 3 + cam thomas and Portland prefers that deal to taking on Herro + lesser picks, the equation flips exactly the opposite way.

there could obviously be very different alternatives than FVV and we know the Nets talked about him at the deadline and he's approaching FA I used him.

What 3 picks are they though?

Like if it’s 21/22 and Philly or one of ours on a Houston swap year compared to any of the Phoenix or Dallas picks, makes a major difference.

I’ll take FVV for the Philly pick and one of ours, over Lillard for any of the Phoenix or Dallas picks fr fr.

I’d rather nothing then give up any of those picks.

Those picks should be reserved for like literally 15 players in this entire league and 33 year old Dame ain’t one of them.

This is the same path, rinse and repeat, it’s the definition of insanity.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#122 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:That alternative is the proper avenue imho.

i think it just depends on the trade cost and whatever the near term alternatives are.

ex. if Portland says they want 5 FRPs or 6 FRPs (basically cleaning us out) and Marks knows an alternative is to just sign & trade for FVV while keeping all the picks, I totally agree. in that instance the alternative is an easy choice and you pass on Dame.

if a s&t for FVV is going to cost 1 FRP and the price on Lillard is only say 3 + cam thomas and Portland prefers that deal to taking on Herro + lesser picks, the equation flips exactly the opposite way.

there could obviously be very different alternatives than FVV and we know the Nets talked about him at the deadline and he's approaching FA I used him.

Like if it’s 21/22 and Philly or one of ours on a Houston swap year compared to any of the Phoenix or Dallas picks, makes a major difference.

I’ll take FVV for the Philly pick and one of ours, over Lillard for any of the Phoenix or Dallas picks fr fr.

Those picks should be reserved for like literally 15 players in this entire league and 33 year old Dame ain’t one of them.

i cant pretend to guess what portland would want but if i was their gm i'd want Philly 27, Phoenix 27, Dallas 29.

i would want the chance of 3 different organizations potentially falling apart, 2/3 unprotected. just hope to get lucky with a lotto pick from 1/3, hopefully top 10.

from the net's pov i probably value the phoenix pick the most but we'd still have phoenix 25, 29, and a 28 swap, so if they do fall apart in 2027 we've got 2 unprotected a swap right around there. hard to envision a lotto pick in just 2027 but not '28 or '29 too. so if 2027 hits it's probably still good news for the nets (vs keeping the pick and the suns are in playoffs the whole time).

the philly picked is protected so im not too worried about trading that one. the odds of it being top 10-12 are slim. the dallas one could end up really good, but 2029 is literally 6 full seasons from now and cuban has proven the test of time as a good owner. it's a far off dart throw.

we've talked a lot about wanting to consolidate #21 and #22 in combo with DFS/Royce to move up, so im not that worried about trading either one of those also as the 4th pick. that's not a deal breaker at least. we are still going to get someone high on our board if they fall (and even in the scenario where 2 players we love fall, we're getting the better one).

those 3 or 4 picks are my max offer in terms of picks, and my expectation is that's at least 2 more picks than FVV would cost. but that's bc i think Lillard is on another level as a player. 1 or 2 all nba years over the next 3-4 is worth that because it's 1-2 more than FVV. that's my rationale. i can definitely understand not wanting to go deal all 3 of those future picks, but i think that's what it takes to beat miami offering 2 unprotected firsts of their own.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#123 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:22 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

i cant pretend to guess what portland would want but if i was their gm i'd want Philly 27, Phoenix 27, Dallas 29.

i would want the chance of 3 different organizations potentially falling apart, 2/3 unprotected. just hope to get lucky with a lotto pick from 1/3, hopefully top 10.

from the net's pov i probably value the phoenix pick the most but we'd still have phoenix 25, 29, and a 28 swap, so if they do fall apart in 2027 we've got 2 unprotected a swap right around there. hard to envision a lotto pick in just 2027 but not '28 or '29 too. so if 2027 hits it's probably still good news for the nets (vs keeping the pick and the suns are in playoffs the whole time).

the philly picked is protected so im not too worried about trading that one. the odds of it being top 10-12 are slim. the dallas one could end up really good, but 2029 is literally 6 full seasons from now and cuban has proven the test of time as a good owner. it's a far off dart throw.

we've talked a lot about wanting to consolidate #21 and #22 in combo with DFS/Royce to move up, so im not that worried about trading either one of those also as the 4th pick. that's not a deal breaker at least. we are still going to get someone high on our board if they fall (and even in the scenario where 2 players we love fall, we're getting the better one).

those 3 or 4 picks are my max offer in terms of picks, and my expectation is that's at least 2 more picks than FVV would cost. but that's bc i think Lillard is on another level as a player. 1 or 2 all nba years over the next 3-4 is worth that because it's 1-2 more than FVV. that's my rationale. i can definitely understand not wanting to go deal all 3 of those future picks, but i think that's what it takes to beat miami offering 2 unprotected firsts of their own.

I’m with you on what you think Portland will want.

Also with you on this years picks and the Philly pick, I’d include those in a multitude of trades for varying levels of player.

The Phoenix and Dallas ones are the ones I’d play close to the vest.

Portland would want them, but I’d tell them kick rocks and send Dame to Miami, we’re building the right way this time.

They probably would send him to Miami then, and to me, that’s just peachy, I personally do not lust for 33 year old Lillard on that contract, at that asset cost.

Stars always become available, this isn’t the one to sell even part of the farm for in relation to our current roster makeup, imho.

All those picks will not hit, but I’d want an idea of where they’ll be before dealing any of them, unless it was for one of the players of the following list:

Luka
Jokic
Ja(assuming he’s not literally on the verge of jail and perma-ban)
Murray
Halliburton
Garland
Ingram
SGA
Giannis
Anthony Edwards
Banchero
LaMelo
KAT(still only one of those choice picks, maybe 2)
Wembanyama
J3

I literally don’t know if there’s another player I’d move any or all, or some of those picks for.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#124 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:40 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:What 3 picks are they though?

I’m with you on what you think Portland will want.

Also with you on this years picks and the Philly pick, I’d include those in a multitude of trades for varying levels of player.

The Phoenix and Dallas ones are the ones I’d play close to the vest.

Portland would want them, but I’d tell them kick rocks and send Dame to Miami, we’re building the right way this time.

They probably would send him to Miami then, and to me, that’s just peachy, I personally do not lust for 33 year old Lillard on that contract, at that asset cost.

Stars always become available, this isn’t the one to sell even part of the farm for in relation to our current roster makeup, imho.

All those picks will not hit, but I’d want an idea of where they’ll be before dealing any of them, unless it was for one of the players of the following list:

Luka
Jokic
Ja(assuming he’s not literally on the verge of jail and perma-ban)
Murray
Halliburton
Garland
Ingram
SGA
Giannis
Anthony Edwards
Banchero
LaMelo
KAT(still only one of those choice picks, maybe 2)
Wembanyama
J3

I literally don’t know if there’s another player I’d move any or all, or some of those picks for.

that's fair, i just think dame is a particularly good fit right now. by wins above replacement he was a top 10 player so obviously he's a great player, but like jimmy he's also clutch and loyal. the thing this roster lacks most is an individual creator/shot maker and that's dame. the injuries are a concern but right after the old big 3 asking out he instantly brings back credibility to the nets org in a wide open east. nets would be right there in top 3 w/ miami and boston. on the court dame fits so well with bridges, CJ, claxton there is a TON of flexibility of who the 5th player could be to take that group over the top. so if the dallas 2029 pick (or phoenix 2027) is final thing to get to yes, i have a hard time not just saying yes. if they can get any level of productivity out of simmons this year as an expiring next year + every other pick they own should be able to get them a 5th piece that we'd all consider that starting 5 championship level.

on the flip side i think fvv is an almost equally great fit who is cheaper and younger, just obviously lower upside. no issues falling back on that if the price for dame gets too high. though if miami gets dame they are clearly team to beat in the east the next 2-4 years.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#125 » by Tha King » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:01 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

It would take more than 3 or 4 picks imo

I think the baseline Heat offer would be Herro, their draft pick last year, and their pick this year. That is better than the protected Sixers pick and two far off picks with a team that has Luka. Then you factor the Heat have a few other picks they can add to the table as well.

Realistically, it would take most of the picks the team has and possibly Claxton as well to be competitive or better than a potential Heat offer.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#126 » by Claud » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:58 pm

If you can get Dame for Din + Harris + a few picks you have to do it IMO.

Lillard is exactly the type of player this roster needs.

We have nobody to get a bucket in clutch + we can surround Dame w/ good defensive players.

The question is which picks we should include. I would try to avoid giving them PHX 2027 pick and 2025 pick if posible but the rest can go.

Dame's age, contract and injury history is no doubt a question mark, but even if we built "the right way" there's no guarantees either.

Either path is a gamble. We know Dame is a baller with something to prove, so not sure we've heard the last of him.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,904

Post#127 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:27 am

Miami will be super motivated to get Dame after they lose the Finals. Butler is getting too old.

They will likely offer Herro and 3 picks.

What can we offer to beat that?

I frankly don't want to give up the Phoenix or Dallas picks. I think its very possible that the Suns and Mavs collapse in the next 2 years.

And we have no picks of our own. This Dame thing to me just isn't worth it. Let him go to Miami.

I don't see us a serious contender with Dame and I'm tired of false hope.
hkphooey
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#128 » by hkphooey » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:50 pm

Does a package of Ben Simmons and Nic Claxton work for Dame? Portland probably asks for picks as well, but is this interesting for the Nets?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#129 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:56 pm

hkphooey wrote:Does a package of Ben Simmons and Nic Claxton work for Dame? Portland probably asks for picks as well, but is this interesting for the Nets?

I'd rather trade the expiring contracts of Dinwiddie and Harris, but if that's all Portland wanted, sure. Not giving up too many picks if they're asking for Claxton.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#130 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Claxton is pretty untouchable imo. He’s elite defensively, legit DPOY level big man. I think for this team, Bridges and Claxton should be our building blocks, and we use the 3 and D players and draft picks at our disposal to try and add around them. We struck gold twice finding two defensive monsters in Allen and Claxton in back to back drafts, but they’re not that easy to find. We’ll be kicking ourselves just like we did with the Harden trade, if we trade our elite defensive center in his early 20s and just entering his prime for a star player on the wrong side of 30. At least with Harden, we already had KD and Irving, and we were going all in for a title. We’re clearly not a contender if we trade for Lillard using Claxton. Lillard and Bridges as a 1-2 punch is still a play in team at best.

Return to Brooklyn Nets