ImageImageImageImageImage

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Nets X Lillard - What should we do?

Trade 3 firsts (PHX this year, PHX in 2025, our own in 2028 ) + 2 2nd round picks, and a pick swap in 2029 with Dinwiddie, Harris, and Cam Thomas for Lillard + player POR decides to add
33%
Trade Bridges to POR for the 3rd pick, S Sharpe., and Simons
33%
Do not involve ourselves with POR at all this offseason
33%

Total votes: 42

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#21 » by GTR11 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:50 am

Eatgreenz wrote:Unless blazers offer simons, sharpe, 3rd pick only way bridges even gets considered being moved. Which i doubt they offer that much for bridges. I really seeing us standing pat or making a move for dame if it doesnt deplet the rest of our assets. If we were in the mindset of tanking or going rebuild we wouldnt have tried to make the playoffs. Marks looks like he will be patient unless a crazy deal gets offered and see what he has with this group with a full offseason and training camp. And a chance to see a healthy Ben with them.

Could've stop right there. However I do see a scenario where Marks sells Tsai a quick rebuild if we get to have Scoot. Guy has great personality and will fill out seats. Not Wemby magnitude, but he is out there.

Also don't forget, with the assets we will get from Portland and cap space we will free up. We can make noise next offseason and offseason after, and that's where better players be.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 313

Post#22 » by Eatgreenz » Sat May 20, 2023 3:11 am

GTR11 wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:Unless blazers offer simons, sharpe, 3rd pick only way bridges even gets considered being moved. Which i doubt they offer that much for bridges. I really seeing us standing pat or making a move for dame if it doesnt deplet the rest of our assets. If we were in the mindset of tanking or going rebuild we wouldnt have tried to make the playoffs. Marks looks like he will be patient unless a crazy deal gets offered and see what he has with this group with a full offseason and training camp. And a chance to see a healthy Ben with them.

Could've stop right there. However I do see a scenario where Marks sells Tsai a quick rebuild if we get to have Scoot. Guy has great personality and will fill out seats. Not Wemby magnitude, but he is out there.

Also don't forget, with the assets we will get from Portland and cap space we will free up. We can make noise next offseason and offseason after, and that's where better players be.

Do think Marks still thinks about if its just the 3rd and Simons? If scoot is still on the board. Decision to give up Mikal will be tough but I trust Marks eye for talent if truly believes Scoot is a superstar player. This Off-Season will be interesting the draft could alter a whole lot for us.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#23 » by Eatgreenz » Sat May 20, 2023 3:21 am

Mikal has a chance to become our jimmy butler it be hard to trade him after making him one the franchise/culture guys.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#24 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 20, 2023 3:38 am

If you can get Sharpe and the #3 pick, and maybe a future pick for say Bridges and Finney or O’Neale, you 110% do that.

Sharpe is a tantalizing prospect, if he falls to 3, Scoot Henderson is a franchise cornerstone piece, if not a generational prospect, and a guy Brandon Miller or Amen Thompson, or maybe Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks are rife with massive potential and solid floors, a future pick would be the icing on top.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,030

Post#25 » by Marvin Martian » Sat May 20, 2023 4:04 am

Crazy how much this board is underrating Bridges. The NBA draft is a crapshoot. You don't trade a top 20 player entering his prime for unproven rookies. That is bad management. If Scoot turns out to be an inferior player to Bridges (which is likely), then this team will be doomed to mediocrity for the next decade.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 900

Post#26 » by Decipher » Sat May 20, 2023 4:52 am

Marvin Martian wrote:Crazy how much this board is underrating Bridges. The NBA draft is a crapshoot. You don't trade a top 20 player entering his prime for unproven rookies. That is bad management. If Scoot turns out to be an inferior player to Bridges (which is likely), then this team will be doomed to mediocrity for the next decade.

Correct

Scoot + Sharpe and then we talk
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#27 » by CalamityX12 » Sat May 20, 2023 5:29 am

Marvin Martian wrote:Crazy how much this board is underrating Bridges. The NBA draft is a crapshoot. You don't trade a top 20 player entering his prime for unproven rookies. That is bad management. If Scoot turns out to be an inferior player to Bridges (which is likely), then this team will be doomed to mediocrity for the next decade.

It's not underrated Bridges at all

It's making the move noelw or never.

Bridges is an mid to older 20s player. We're realistically not looking to be competent via roster and head coach for a whole.

What does Mikael do to change its trajectory.

It's one thing if we had cap space to add all star playeelr but we don't.

We have broke ass Ben eating our cap.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#28 » by CalamityX12 » Sat May 20, 2023 5:29 am

And Scoot or whomever is starting at significant cheap and 5-6 yrs younger too
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#29 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 20, 2023 1:45 pm

Scoot Henderson would be #1 overall in most drafts, he’s as unmissable as a prospect gets. If he becomes a good shooter he’s Kyrie meets Derrick Rose.

The foolish thing would be to not make this move if Scoot is there.

This would have been like if a team had Jrue Holiday and Robert Covington on the roster at say 27 and 30 and were in a similar position to us and turned down trading those two for Ja Morant and SGA on draft night, plus a future pick.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#30 » by Netaman » Sat May 20, 2023 1:54 pm

Some notes from hollinger in the athletic, 1 nets related, 1 hopefully nets related?

• On a related front, I have some terrible news for fans generating fake Mikal Bridges trades: The Nets don’t seem to have much incentive to play ball here. Brooklyn owes unprotected picks to Houston in 2024 and 2026 and unprotected swaps in 2025 and 2027. Thus, Brooklyn trading its good players and tanking would do a lot more for the Rockets than the Nets. Brooklyn’s likely best path forward is to muddle along with a Bridges-centric team, especially since he’s signed through 2026 to one of the league’s best contracts.

• Two other picks insiders expect to be in play: Dallas’ selection at No. 10 — likely paired with either or both of Dāvis Bertāns and JaVale McGee to bring in more immediate help — and the Thunder’s pick at No. 12. In Oklahoma City’s case, it’s still a long-term play, but the idea is that the Thunder would use their surfeit of future picks to move up in this lottery; they somehow have only one pick this year but are likely to have four firsts in 2024 and still have four future firsts from other teams in 2025 and beyond.

https://theathletic.com/4535111/2023/05/19/nba-draft-rumors-notes-hollinger/?source=nbatw

DFS and #22 for Bertans and #10 all day please.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,030

Post#31 » by Marvin Martian » Sat May 20, 2023 4:41 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Scoot Henderson would be #1 overall in most drafts, he’s as unmissable as a prospect gets. If he becomes a good shooter he’s Kyrie meets Derrick Rose.

This would have been like if a team had Jrue Holiday and Robert Covington on the roster at say 27 and 30 and were in a similar position to us and turned down trading those two for Ja Morant and SGA on draft night, plus a future pick.

Not the same situation. Jrue and Covington has never put up the elite numbers that Bridges did during his short time here. If he continues to improve, you pretty much have a superstar.

No GM is going to risk his career trading a player like that for a rookie that has never played a minute of nba basketball. This is Billy King levels of bad.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#32 » by Eatgreenz » Sat May 20, 2023 6:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Scoot Henderson would be #1 overall in most drafts, he’s as unmissable as a prospect gets. If he becomes a good shooter he’s Kyrie meets Derrick Rose.

At the sametime what if scoot is another Markel Fultz he was suppose to be special. Unless Sharpe is added is the only way you pick up the phone. Scoot is still an unknown nobody will no what he is until he plays NBA game. Mikal like someone posted in another thread has career arc similar to Jimmy Butler, his gunna take another step will full offseason to work on he needs to work on. Trading him for 6'2 pg who cant shoot that we dont know how actually good he will be, should have Marks clean out his office and looking for a new job.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#33 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:46 am

Bridges is a freaking unicorn player and asset. Simons, 3 and Sharpe is a very, very respectable offer, but I'm still not moving Mikal.

I am pro acquiring Dame, even with his age, injury risk and the ban end of his contract. He'll cost a lot, and that's also fine with me. My one sticking point is, I can't have him AND Ben on the books for the next 2 seasons. Whether Portland absorbs Simmons or he gets spun off to a 3rd team, I would have to push for that as part of the deal. Maybe Portland passes due to this stipulation. I'll live with that.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#34 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:07 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Bridges is a freaking unicorn player and asset. Simons, 3 and Sharpe is a very, very respectable offer, but I'm still not moving Mikal.

I am pro acquiring Dame, even with his age, injury risk and the ban end of his contract. He'll cost a lot, and that's also fine with me. My one sticking point is, I can't have him AND Ben on the books for the next 2 seasons. Whether Portland absorbs Simmons or he gets spun off to a 3rd team, I would have to push for that as part of the deal. Maybe Portland passes due to this stipulation. I'll live with that.

It's not our money. If Tsai is willing to pay, who cares if Simmons & Lillard are on the team together? We have to match salary regardless, so Dinwiddie+Harris or Simmons is only one extra year of extra salary. With Lillard, I'd honestly prefer to roll the dice with Simmons over Dinwiddie+Harris.

As for trading to Bridges, if Scoot is there at #3 (I doubt it), and they also include Sharpe (I doubt it), then you strongly consider it. Otherwise, ride with Mikal.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#35 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:16 am

I know it's not my money. Payroll is not hoop and it's not a sexy topic for fans. Still, it has a real impact on basketball long-term.

If we don't act responsible with money now, it's going to be cost-prohibitive to re-sign Claxton next summer. After devleoping him for years, we'll watch him walk for nothing, simply because paying him $25mil means paying $100mil in luxury tax (just for him). And getting off of Simmons will be more expensive then iMO, when teams will know that the repeater tax has us over a barrel. Also by then, everyone who has capspace to absorb salary will want to keep their books clean for the 2024 free agency class. It matters.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Lachiebkn
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#36 » by Lachiebkn » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:58 am

I’m on board with Lillard coming to the nets. I think he is a sensational locker room guy and leader of an organisation. After the kd and ky era I feel marks covets this. As long as it doesn’t cost the nets too many of our own future picks or claxton and bridges.
Bringing dame to the nets could set up our culture and keep us in contention while we don’t own our own picks and build a culture that might continue into our next era. Like the heat have done. This season has shown that you need a great leader and good culture to contend. We would be building that.

His injury and contract could become an issue as time goes on but hopefully what he can help build for us overwrites the injury concerns
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#37 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:52 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Bridges is a freaking unicorn player and asset. Simons, 3 and Sharpe is a very, very respectable offer, but I'm still not moving Mikal.

We would be getting Dame to pair with Bridges and CJ. Simmons becomes the main piece to deal.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#38 » by Rastas » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:17 am

Paradise wrote:

We would be getting Dame to pair with Bridges and CJ. Simmons becomes the main piece to deal.

According to a close Dame contact I was chatting with is Dame only has interest in going to Nets if it's to play with both Bridges and Simmons.
Also he has interest in other teams , but again it's about who those teams keep onboard to pair with him.
Doesn't want to be in a super team just a competitive top 4ish conference team.
Is also very happy to stay with Portland if nothing eventuates.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#39 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 4, 2023 1:00 pm

Rastas wrote:
Paradise wrote:

According to a close Dame contact I was chatting with is Dame only has interest in going to Nets if it's to play with both Bridges and Simmons.
Also he has interest in other teams , but again it's about who those teams keep onboard to pair with him.
Doesn't want to be in a super team just a competitive top 4ish conference team.
Is also very happy to stay with Portland if nothing eventuates.

See this is what always makes me question star player opinion.

Play with Bridges? Absolutely. Could be Paul George in the making, worst case he’s a stud 18/6/3 picture perfect third option just coming into his prime and barely needs the ball in his hands.

But that he requires Simmons? I get it in theory. He’s thinking Simmons at the 4 or 5, ultimate gadget player, top defender, run the second unit when Dame goes to the bench, gets out in transition or can point the break himself, frees up Dame in the half court to get open off ball, on action.

But that’s on paper. What we’ve seen from Ben, both his body physically and his mindset, dedication and love for the game, and his toughness and aggressiveness which you absolutely need at this level even if you’re “just” a Dray Green, prime Horford, Tony Allen level role player star, it just ain’t it.

Let alone his complete lack of shooting. It’s not even that he’s a bad shooter like prime Andre Miller, or Shaun Livingston. He won’t even try to improve and refuses to take open shots even when he has the confidence and green light from the coaching staff. He passes out of layups for Christ’s sake and I’m talking frequently, not even the over dramatized example from the playoffs years ago.

I just don’t get it.

All that said, if Ben somehow helps get Dame here at a fair asset cost, so be it.

If we keep a majority of the important picks(Dallas and Phoenix ones way in the future) and get to be legit competitive now while having cap flexibility, I’m all for it.

These last couple seasons have shown us there is some legit parity in the NBA right now.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#40 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 4, 2023 1:12 pm

Lastly I’d like to comeback and address my past thoughts on Bridges, clarify my stance on him.

I love Bridges, always have. Supercharged Kerry Kittles. If it looks for sure like he’s remaining here I’m going to cop an authentic Mikal jersey.

He is already an outstanding player with a great attitude. A true leader type. Plays both ends, great length, athleticism, high bbiq, effective with low usage, super diverse all around game and he has the rare distinction of still having a crazy high remaining ceiling at his age. Great contract. Semi-local guy and shined on the big stage of the big city.

I’m not an advocate for trading him as an overall thought. Even thinking about it again specifically to the 3rd pick with Sharpe and a future 1st with light protection, I’d have pause. Earlier I said you 110% had to, the more I think about it, the more I’d retract that and say I wouldn’t be mad if Marks pulled off that trade, but I’m not nearly as adamant that you need to.

Return to Brooklyn Nets