Attitude of the ACC

Moderator: Crowned

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Attitude of the ACC 

Post#1 » by MAS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Alright let me ask you guys this, a few weeks ago when the Bruins were playing the Stars, the TSN broadcasters were saying that sometimes teams take on the personality of the city. When I thought in comparison to the Leafs and Toronto, I honestly think that's true. Right now fans in the ACC seem to have a "meh" attitude towards the team, probably because they're jaded with this 7 year playoff drought.

This year I was at the Oilers/Leafs game in the ACC where the Leafs lost 5-0. What bothered me was not the fact that we lost, and lost badly, but the fact that the fans started to rooting for the Oilers as things started to get worse. The Oilers even felt comfortable coming out and doing a little wave for the 3 stars. To me right now, the ACC is neutral territory for a lot of these guys because a lot of players come from Toronto and for some reason we're rooting for them. Burkie talks about making Toronto a tough place to play, and while it's up to him to get those types of players, it's up to us to create an intimidating atmosphere.

Another example of this is last year against the Islanders when Roloson stopped 61 shots to beat us and our fans gave him a standing ovation. Or when Mats Sundin beat us in the shootout and go the 1st star and our fans gave him a standing ovation. For me that's wrong, and Conn Smythe would be turning over in his grave if he saw that.

It may just be me, or it may just be the fact that the sushi eaters are the ones who get the most TV time as they can afford lower bowl seats. But what do you guys think? Is there a problem here?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Attitude of the ACC 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:58 pm

MAS wrote:
Another example of this is last year against the Islanders when Roloson stopped 61 shots to beat us and our fans gave him a standing ovation. Or when Mats Sundin beat us in the shootout and go the 1st star and our fans gave him a standing ovation. For me that's wrong, and Conn Smythe would be turning over in his grave if he saw that.

They deserve standing ovations. Any goaltender that stops 61 shots and wins, earns the respect of the opposing team. With Sundin, it's a no brainer.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by MAS » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Crowned wrote:
MAS wrote:

They deserve standing ovations. Any goaltender that stops 61 shots and wins, earns the respect of the opposing team. With Sundin, it's a no brainer.

I suppose that's true, but I subscribe to the concept that the other team is the enemy, not matter who they are or what they did. Both guys cost us 2 points (well 1 point each cause they went to OT), and that's what I'm concerned about as a fan
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#4 » by darth_federer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm

We ve been beaten down for years now. The ACC was loud during those Quinn years. Jut put a good team out there. Nobody can question the passion of the fans of this team.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#5 » by j127 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 am

The Leafs deserve to be booed on home ice. They're terrible. This includes the players, the coaching staff, and management.

I'm not cheering for a crappy on-ice product. I'm never satisfied with mediocrity. If the Leafs want my undying love, they better consistently make the playoffs.

Until then, I'm more than happwy with cheering for the Habs, the Sens, the Oilers, the Flames, and the Canucks. As long as one of the above teams does well, I'm happy.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by MAS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 am

terryoh wrote:The Leafs deserve to be booed on home ice. They're terrible. This includes the players, the coaching staff, and management.

I'm not cheering for a crappy on-ice product. I'm never satisfied with mediocrity. If the Leafs want my undying love, they better consistently make the playoffs.

Until then, I'm more than happwy with cheering for the Habs, the Sens, the Oilers, the Flames, and the Canucks. As long as one of the above teams does well, I'm happy.

I'm not saying you should cheer, i'm saying you should be jeering the other team lol. **** the other Canadian teams they really don't give a crap about the Leafs, infact they root for the team to fail. Why should we give them support?
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#7 » by J-Roc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Even in the Quinn heyday, Leafs fans were known to clear out between periods. Empty lower bowl. Suits complaining the temperature at the rink was too cold. Most hockey jerseys up in the rafters.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs