ImageImageImage

OT: Is Detroit Moving to the Eastern Conference?

Moderator: Crowned

kingz32
Senior
And1: 57

OT: Is Detroit Moving to the Eastern Conference? 

Post#1 » by kingz32 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm

With the Atlanta Franchise moving to Winnipeg which is generally regarded as the Mid-West, and leaving the Eastern conference one team short, would this absence be compensated by bringing the Detroit Red Wings to the Eastern Conference?

-Sorry i haven't been briefed on this, if this has been something already covered or if no conference changes will be happening at all
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Re: OT: Is Detroit Moving to the Eastern Conference? 

Post#2 » by darth_federer » Thu May 26, 2011 5:58 am

If Atlanta moves then yes Detroit would move. They ve wanted it for ages and it makes sense. There should be more Toronto Detroit games as well.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#3 » by sule » Sun May 29, 2011 3:33 am

I hope not. While it'd be awesome to play Detroit in the playoffs when we finally have a half-decent team, it'd suck that the only time we'd ever see an Original 6 finals again would be when one of Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NY, or Detroit play Chicago.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 2, 2011 3:53 am

sule wrote:I hope not. While it'd be awesome to play Detroit in the playoffs when we finally have a half-decent team, it'd suck that the only time we'd ever see an Original 6 finals again would be when one of Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NY, or Detroit play Chicago.

An original 6 finals hasn't happened in forever so why not re-establish the true rivalries and get Detroit to face more natural matchups then having them travel so for regularly.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#5 » by Parataxis » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:49 pm

It would probably screw Ottawa for travel, but I'd love to see an Original Six (well, original five sixths) division. Wow.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#6 » by YogiStewart » Sat Jun 4, 2011 12:58 am

not this season. Winnipeg will have an awful travel schedule and play in the SE division (or whatever division Atlanta was in).

I assume that next year, Winnipeg will either replace Minnesota in the NorthWest division, which I doubt since the Jets hated being in the Smythe due to travel costs, or, in all likelihood, will replace Nashville in the central division. Something that should be discussed: replacing Boston in the Northeast, Boston replacing Nashville or Columbus in the Central and that team going to the Southeast.
I doubt it happens, since Boston will want to remain an Eastern conference team.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#7 » by whysoserious » Mon Jun 6, 2011 1:55 pm

YogiStewart wrote:not this season. Winnipeg will have an awful travel schedule and play in the SE division (or whatever division Atlanta was in).

I assume that next year, Winnipeg will either replace Minnesota in the NorthWest division, which I doubt since the Jets hated being in the Smythe due to travel costs, or, in all likelihood, will replace Nashville in the central division. Something that should be discussed: replacing Boston in the Northeast, Boston replacing Nashville or Columbus in the Central and that team going to the Southeast.
I doubt it happens, since Boston will want to remain an Eastern conference team.

Why would you move Boston not only to the Central division but also to the Western Conference? That makes no sense at all.
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#8 » by Mr. Perfect » Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:50 pm

I've always wondered why Wisconsin doesn't have a hockey team. Seems like a viable hockey market to me. Move the Coyotes or Panthers there.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#9 » by Homer Jay » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:56 pm

I think the easiest swap is Winnipeg for Nashville. I think the league wants to keep Detroit in the west for matchup purposes. No sense stacking the East further.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#10 » by J-Roc » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:27 pm

We need the Norris division again.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs