ImageImageImage

Leafs Acquire Lombardi And Franson From Predators

Moderator: Crowned

Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Leafs Acquire Lombardi And Franson From Predators 

Post#1 » by Relentless88 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:29 pm

Burke is taking some risks with Lombardi and Connolly, but I like the moves. He was pretty amazing a couple years ago, before going down with injury. Franson is an excellent pickup. We'll probably make another move to clear a defense man.

3.5 million cap hit for Lombardi and 0.8 million cap hit for Franson. Any cap experts know how much cap space we have left now?

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm ... L|TOR|home

Brian Burke, President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Sunday that the club has acquired forward Matthew Lombardi and defenceman Cody Franson from the Nashville Predators in exchange for defenceman Brett Lebda and forward Robert Slaney. The trade also includes a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2013 Entry Draft.

Lombardi, 29, missed all but two games of the 2010-11 season due to a concussion suffered on October 13 with the Predators against the Chicago Blackhawks. In 78 games with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009-10, he set career highs in assists (34) and points (53), ranking second on the team in both categories, while posting 19 goals, 36 penalty minutes and a plus-eight (+8) rating.

Franson, 23, played 80 games last season with the Predators, registering career highs in goals (8), assists (21), points (29) and penalty minutes (30). He also appeared in 12 playoff games in 2010-11, posting a goal and five assists. In 141 career NHL games with Nashville, the 6-5, 213-pound defenceman has accumulated 50 points (14 goals, 36 assists) with 46 penalty minutes.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Re: Leafs Acquire Lombardi And Franson From Predators 

Post#2 » by Ducksplatt » Sun Jul 3, 2011 7:07 pm

Leafs have $10,585,000 cap space left.
Here is a great site for NHL cap space:

http://www.capgeek.com/

Love the pickup of Franson - hopefully it is time to move Komi.

Great move by Burke/Nonis to get a good young asset by just taking on cap.
Hopefully more is in store.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#3 » by Ong_dynasty » Sun Jul 3, 2011 9:00 pm

What are the chances that Lombardi actually contributes something significant in the next few years?
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#4 » by andyo » Sun Jul 3, 2011 9:01 pm

Great move, I'm suspecting that Lombardi will be put on LTIR, I don't think he will count against the cap. I'm suspecting he sits out all if not most of next season. Cody Franson is a good young d-man that has top 2-3 pairing potential. Needs to improve his play on the defensive side of the ice though. Really, this is robbery considering we got rid of Lebda and an AHL calibre player.

Someone on our d will probably be moved within the next couple of days or weeks. Hopefully, some team needing to reach the cap floor is willing to absorb Komi.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#5 » by Next Coming » Sun Jul 3, 2011 10:42 pm

Burke has fleeced some teams with trades. Even the Kessel trade isn't as lopsided as some people claim it is.

And how good is our Defense right now?

Phaneuf/Aulie
Schenn/Liles
Gunnarsson/Franson
Komisarek

With Jake Gardiner, Jesse Blacker, Stuart Percy as highly touted prospects coming up in our ranks.
number15
Banned User
And1: 43

Post#6 » by number15 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 11:16 pm

I was hoping Komisarek would be given one last chance..... I mean he would be the 6th d man on the ice. start him low minutes and go from there.

I truely believe he can play.... just needs one last chance

He is an NHL d-man
savierdcglobe
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#7 » by savierdcglobe » Mon Jul 4, 2011 1:37 am

Let's say lombardi does get healthy, where does he fit in the lineup? 2nd? 2rd line?
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#8 » by Ducksplatt » Mon Jul 4, 2011 2:29 am

savierdcglobe wrote:Let's say lombardi does get healthy, where does he fit in the lineup? 2nd? 2rd line?

3rd line but when/if Connolly gets injured, up to first.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#9 » by andyo » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:58 am

Conolley has the potential to be our #1 center but I don't know, Grabo is probably the best center right now but you don't want to mess with the chemistry he's already established on the 2nd line. Lombardi will probably sit out most if not all of next year.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#10 » by Crowned » Mon Jul 4, 2011 6:01 am

Our blueline is looking very strong.

If we can find a top line center, we'll be a very competitive team. After some painful hockey, the roster is nicely rounding out.
number15
Banned User
And1: 43

Post#11 » by number15 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Crowned wrote:Our blueline is looking very strong.

If we can find a top line center, we'll be a very competitive team. After some painful hockey, the roster is nicely rounding out.

i dont know..... Leafs needed a top centre, and Conolley isent too great of an answer. Other than that the offence wont change much.

Defence looks good on paper.... but it was already strong on paper. I would have been happy if the Leafs got no one and stayed pat. However Franzen is a good addition to the crop.

it all is on Reimer's shoulders. if he falters.... Leafs have no chance. Burke would have been smart to go after Vokoun, maybe offer more money than market value, it would still be cheap, considering what he got......... he would be insurance (Burke's taking a chance on Reimer). I hope he can do it

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs