Post#1 » by Crowned » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:27 am

Here we go.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Re: Leafs Preseason Discussion 

Post#2 » by YogiStewart » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:35 pm

their "first" line looks awful so far. not surprised.
pretty scary, since their second line overperformed last year.

i've said it before, but the Leafs will be very hard pressed to get into the playoffs.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#3 » by bryant08 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch a full game, but I've seen bits of every one. Connolly has looked really bad from what I've seen which is an awful sign, you'd hope he'd at least be a cut above Bozak. Gardiner has looked awesome and is obviously making a strong impression, but I haven't really noticed Franson much. It was always going to be a struggle to make the playoffs, but desperate to see it happen this year, even if we squeek in at either 7th/8th.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 pm

YogiStewart wrote:their "first" line looks awful so far. not surprised.
pretty scary, since their second line overperformed last year.

i've said it before, but the Leafs will be very hard pressed to get into the playoffs.

They will be hard pressed, but they will be right there at the bottom fighting. If they don't get off to the horrible start like last year, then they should at least have a chance.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#5 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:33 pm

I have a feeling Wilson will ride these middling vets to the 8th spot, get his unearned extension and then he'll have another mutiny like two years ago.

It's going to be an interesting loyalty v. results battle all year for Burke. I'd hate to give up a solid defenceman like Gunnarsson just so we can find a spot for Komisarek. You have to wonder how much it really burns him that Grabovski, Kulemin, Reimer, Schenn, and Gunnarsson aren't his choices, yet are arguably the most consistent players on the team.
PJTucker
Junior
And1: 68

Post#6 » by PJTucker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I think it comes down to goaltending. If Reimer is as good as he was to close out the year, we should be sitting pretty somewhere from 6-8th. If he suffers a sophomore jinx or if his play tails off at all, we'll be on the outside looking in once again.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#7 » by Crowned » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:08 pm

I'd rather see Gardiner start the season in the minors if they're going to make him a #6/#7 defenseman. I don't see them sending Komisarek down, and he'll likely be battling for a spot with Aulie and Gunnarsson. If they're going to make him a top 4/5 defensemen on their depth chart with some powerplay minutes, by all means...keep him. If not, let him play 20+ minutes a night with the Marlies. Don't get me wrong, he's earned his shot with the Leafs, but I think Wilson and Burke are too stubborn to do anything with Komisarek.

Regarding Gustavson, get rid of him. He's looked horrendous positionally, and will get lit up like a christmas tree if that doesn't change. I'd rather see Scrivens as the back up splitting time with Reimer. Send Gus down to play with Rynnas until he works his mechanics out. He can't rely on athleticism on every shot.

With Lombardi cleared to play, I'd send Kadri down for the season too. He's done nothing to prove that he belongs in the top 2 lines, and I'd rather see Frattin play on our 3rd line than Kadri.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#8 » by whysoserious » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Making Kadri play on the third line is a waste. He hasn't been good enough to move up to the top two lines yet though. He still has potential but I think as much as they ride him for positional play/turnovers...I think they need to let him loosen up a bit and just play.

Send him down, play him on the first line with Colbourne and let them go out and have fun.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#9 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 pm

^I'd prefer he play on the third line here than down there. He's better than anyone else they'd put in his position. Burke's top two, bottom two line theory hasn't caught up with his player acquisition skills. He's just got to play his best players and make adjustments from there. Besides, he didn't seem to mind trotting out pick and shovel men on the top lines for the past few losing seasons. I also think Kadri has some grit to him, which we need because Connolly and Kessel are fairly dainty.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#10 » by whysoserious » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:09 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:^I'd prefer he play on the third line here than down there. He's better than anyone else they'd put in his position. Burke's top two, bottom two line theory hasn't caught up with his player acquisition skills. He's just got to play his best players and make adjustments from there. Besides, he didn't seem to mind trotting out pick and shovel men on the top lines for the past few losing seasons. I also think Kadri has some grit to him, which we need because Connolly and Kessel are fairly dainty.

I don't mind if he stays either, but they got to free him up a bit. It's like they think this tough love attitude is going to work all the time, there's a fine line and you could end up killing a guy.

Maybe Kadri's not as good as others but to see other young guys succeeding and playing freely while we keep ripping at Kadri is a little unsettling. Let the kid go out and play, correct his mistakes but don't take away from his creativity.

I remember on Saturday or Friday's game, Kadri turned it over, Buffalo came down and hemmed the leafs in their zone. Then they got a face-off and still couldn't get the puck out for another minute. And he blamed the whole thing on Kadri. Kadri was at fault for the turnover trying to make a move, but don't diminish the guys that couldn't get the puck out of their zone and put all the blame on Kadri for that. He made a mistake, and it's one he does quite a bit but still.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#11 » by Brew666 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Personally, I think Kadri has been one of the better forwards in pres-season and deserves to be on this team from the get go. I think from a franchise standpoint, it instills positive reinforcements of playing well and being rewarded for your work. Obviously some vets are guaranteed spots but it's gotta be frustrating for a rookie/prospect to outplay a number of players and not make the team due to lack of experience.

I'm ok with Kadri on the 3rd line as long as he gets some minutes. The 3rd line's role has changed a bit since the lockout and some teams 3rd line is more of a 3rd scoring line then a checking line. And Kadri w/ Lombardi/Bozak and Armstrong would definitlely create some scoring chances. On the other hand sending him down to the Marlies, giving hm some burn and possibly creating chemistry w/ Colborne or some of others prospects wouldn't be a bad thing either. Kadri needs experience and I don't think it really matters whether it's at the NHL or AHL level. And if we choose to send him down to the Marlies, then we can put Lombardi on the wing w/ Bozak and Armstrong. Not a bad option either.

If Kadri doesn't make it out of camp I expect him to be there by December/January and for the remainder of the season. And lets see how the 'first line' pans out also...if it doesnt gel like it's suppposed to and if Kadri is playing well on the 3rd, I wouldn't have a problem w/ a Kadri-Lombardi-Kessel line...definitely a smaller lineup but it'd be faster than hell...

Lets get this leafs board going this winter as well!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#12 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:43 pm

I watched most of last night's game. Phaneuf is still playing sans brain. Franson looks like a wild card. Not sure if he should be locked in but he sure has a lot of skill. I would prefer we keep Aulie and let Gardiner play a full season in the AHL. Ultimately we need his toughness and last year he seemed to bring out a better Phaneuf. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm not a big fan of Dion. He reminds me of Clay Morrow on Sons of Anarchy, all pent up emotions and thick-headedness.

I know the power play wasn't particularly successful, but it looked more dangerous to me last night than it had in years. Liles and Kadri really open things up. I feel like the past few years the strategy has been to just find Kessel and it's failed and made Phil look bad. We finally have some guys that can bury the puck, which is crucial.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#13 » by whysoserious » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 pm

I don't mind Phaneuf. I like the attitude and emotion he brings. It may cost him sometimes on plays but I still like him. The only thing I wish with him is that he wouldn't always try to blast the puck so hard that he misses everything. Take it down a notch and go for some more consistency in getting the puck on net. Let the guys in front get the rebounds or tip it. Instead he's always trying to blast
it right through the goalie leading to a shot that completely misses the net.
Brew666
Junior

Post#14 » by Brew666 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Was able to watch the game last night as well.

Some of my thoughts:

- Kadri was invisible at centre w/ Kessel, so I'd rather keep him on the wing for now. He seems more comfortable at wing.
- I thought Reimer played alright despite some bad bounces. The refs last night were having late whistles and I think a goal for each time resulted.
- the Aulie Franson d line didn't really impress me, but I guess the entire D wasn't that good. Liles does look like he can easily fill Kabs role though.
- the Grabo line was awesome last night. Definitely some positive signs that they can either maintain or excel the level they reached last year. And I gotta say that Grabo is resilient too. Maybe not the smartest but coming back from that blindside hit from Chris Neil last night and looking at last year's hit from Chara the dude can take a beating.
- Boyce has also had a really good camp so far. As of right now I'd pencil him in as our 4th line centre and have Dupuis coming off the bench.
- Looking forward to seeing Lombardi and Brown back in the lineup too!

Maybe someone in here might know, but last night I ended up buying the LeafsTV online package for $39. It says it includes 51 regular season games and the remainder of the pre-season but there are 7 games I won't be getting. I think there are 24 games televised by CBC, leaving 58 game to be picked up by the other networks. Anyone know why Leafs TV is only carrying 51 as opposed to 58? I don't know what games won't be online either.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#15 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I guess the Kadri problem is solved for the time being. 3/4 weeks plus a conditioning stint. If Frattin lights it up Kadri could be stuck with the Marlies for a while.
Brew666
Junior

Post#16 » by Brew666 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Tonight's lineups:

Forwards:

Clarke MacArthur – Mikhail Grabovski – Nikolai Kulemin
Joffrey Lupul - Philippe Dupuis - Phil Kessel
Matt Frattin - Darryl Boyce - Colby Armstrong
Mike Brown - Mike Zigomanis - Colton Orr

Defence:
Keith Aulie - Luke Schenn
Jake Gardiner - Mike Komisarek
Carl Gunnarsson - Cody Franson

Goalies: Jonas Gustavsson, Ben Scrivens

Forwards:
Justin Abdelkader – Darren Helm – Todd Bertuzzi
Valtteri Filppula – Henrik Zetterberg – Johan Franzen
Gustav Nyquist – Cory Emmerton – Tomas Holmstrom
Chris Conner – Joakim Andersson – Landon Ferraro

Defence:
Nicklas Lidstrom – Ian White
Niklas Kronwall – Brad Stuart/Brian Lashoff
Garnet Exelby – Doug Janik

Goalies:
Jimmy Howard
Jordan Pearce

I think this game will be a good evaluation where some of these players truly are. Detroit coming out with a NHL calibre lineup while the Leafs combat with Dupuis centering Kessel and Lupul.

Was hoping to see Lombardi in this game but hopefully there hasn't been any sidetracks and he can get into tomorrow's game.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#17 » by YogiStewart » Sat Oct 1, 2011 3:14 pm

is it just me, or has Leafs training camp coverage been paper thin?
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#18 » by TR50 » Sat Oct 1, 2011 7:47 pm

Clarkie has been suspended for tonights game+2 season games for his hit on Abdelkader.

Via sportsnet
Brew666
Junior

Post#19 » by Brew666 » Sat Oct 1, 2011 8:15 pm

I'd say it's fair punishment. Not really a past of being dirty, didn't cause injury but definitely a hit to the head.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#20 » by whysoserious » Sat Oct 1, 2011 9:32 pm

I have no problem with McCarther being suspended, it's a fair sentence. What I don't get is the Detroit player wasn't really injured, it looked like a minor hit but got him in the head and yet Neal go nothing and he took Grabo out and Grabo had to go for concussion testing.

There has to be consistency here.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs