ImageImageImage

Leafs extend John-Michael Liles contract

Moderator: Crowned

Traps92
Sophomore
And1: 1

Leafs extend John-Michael Liles contract 

Post#1 » by Traps92 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

The Toronto Maple Leafs and John-Michael Liles have reached an agreement on a contract extension.

The Leafs defenceman, currently sidelined with a concussion, signed a four-year, $15.5 million (U.S.) deal.

“Not gonna lie...it’s been a pretty good day,” the defenceman tweeted once reports of the deal surfaced.

The 31-year-old has four goals and 17 assists for 21 points in 34 games, averaging more than 21 minutes of ice time per game while proving himself to be more than an adequate — and cheaper — replacement for Tomas Kaberle.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1 ... eport?bn=1

Pretty good IMO, like the article said it's an cheaper alternative than Kaberle and plus Liles is younger than Kaberle. Hopefully, Liles lives up to his new contract and gets back on the ice and perform the same way he did prior being injured.
bassmastert
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Re: Leafs extend John-Michael Liles contract 

Post#2 » by bassmastert » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm

To be honest I think this deal is kind of premature.

Don't get me wrong, I like Liles and he's a good veteran defenseman. The problem I have is he's missed the last 15 games with a concussion and we have yet to see if he's able to recover adequately.

If he comes back and plays like he did before with no symptoms, then I'd say the contract would be quite a bit better.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 51

Post#3 » by Crowned » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 am

This makes things interesting on the blueline. I honestly thought they might have let him walk in the offseason. With Holzer and Aulie itching for a full time gig with the Leafs, who gets moved? Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Schenn, Aulie?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 7,593

Post#4 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 am

Insane in the membrane.

Not a fan.
Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime.
-Lavrentiy Beria (D-CA)
CPT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by CPT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I think I would have let him test the market. Don't think he would get that much in free agency.

I always kinda assumed he was a short term stopgap.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#6 » by _venom_ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm

He was arguably our best dman before he got hurt this year. He makes our PP way better. I cringe when Gunnarson is on our first PP unit. 3.8 mil is very fair. I hope he can come back from the concussion though with no set backs.

I gotta believe that Schenn will be moved for a top 6 forward before the deadline.
Nickleman4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Nickleman4 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:13 am

This is an awesome signing, not just because hes our pp quarterback, hes here to mentor Jake Gardiner, If Gardiner can form into a JML type player with similar numbers the Beauchemin trade will have been even more one sided. Also from everything I read on his twitter, and hear on TSN he seems to be an awesome locker room guy and committed to TO
Bein Bous Since 91.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs