Moderator: Crowned

Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Ron Wilson fired 

Post#61 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:54 pm

UN-Owen wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:How does Burke justify giving him an extension just over 2 months ago?

He (Burke) basically stole millions of dollars from his employer to line the pockets of his friend (Wilson)

well...no.
you can't have a lame duck coach.
i have zero problem with the extension. it was fair (1 year) and it was deserved (arguably).

its more of an issue if you're Washington and turfing Boudreau.

if you want to pick apart the firing, i wouldn't include the extension as an issue.

Why can't you have a lame duck coach?

You make that statement...but what are the consequences?

If Wilson hadn't been given an extension...would the team have unraveled down the stretch and miss the playoffs yet again?

We'll have to disagree that it was deserved

Winning 4 of 5 games in December shouldn't be enough to warrant an extension for a coach who has never qualified for the postseason during his 4 years with the team

did you see where they were in the standings? He totally deserved the extension.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#62 » by whysoserious » Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:54 pm

Deron05 wrote:Yeah, but he had no number 1 goalie. But yeah, he was bad at teaching defence.

In terms of goaltending, he got a bit of a shaft this year. Reimer was doing okay and got hurt but then he jerked them back and forth and wouldn't settle on one guy. I think since both are young, you had to just pick one and ride it out for a few games. You can't switch it up after one bad game here. I think based on early January, they should have just gone with Gustavson and rid it out. Reimer could come back next season fully recovered.

And he didn't have a defensive scheme which seems to have left the goalies exposed. Not everything that went wrong was on Wilson, but he did little develop our young guys in his time here and his lack of defense, horrible PK and lenght he was here, it was just time to move on.
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:59 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Deron05 wrote:Yeah, but he had no number 1 goalie. But yeah, he was bad at teaching defence.

In terms of goaltending, he got a bit of a shaft this year. Reimer was doing okay and got hurt but then he jerked them back and forth and wouldn't settle on one guy. I think since both are young, you had to just pick one and ride it out for a few games. You can't switch it up after one bad game here. I think based on early January, they should have just gone with Gustavson and rid it out. Reimer could come back next season fully recovered.

And he didn't have a defensive scheme which seems to have left the goalies exposed. Not everything that went wrong was on Wilson, but he did little develop our young guys in his time here and his lack of defense, horrible PK and lenght he was here, it was just time to move on.

Yeah. If you look when this was their hottest, in January, they had that practice where they blocked shots, and they always blocked shots in games and they won. I think that slipped away, and then they started losing.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs