ImageImageImage

Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#101 » by Drake_02 » Thu May 3, 2012 6:15 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Drake_02 wrote:Anaheim would be asking a lot. Maybe Kadri and a 2nd. This guy is a great talent. Some say he is better than Gardiner. But if we could land Shultz, we could move Liles for something, maybe even in a Deal that would bring J.Staal to Toronto.


They have no leverage, it's simple we can just sign him after his FA date passes, instead they can take a middle-round pick or even a second or third rounder if you needed to. But they have no leverage to ask for anything.

Maybe you can figure out someone off the roster to clear some capsapce but them asking for Kadri and a 2nd is just not realistic. You're basically trading for a 1 month window to negotiate earlier.

True, but, If schultz were to hit the open market, almost every team in the league will be on him, bumping up the price. So getting the extra month is huge, and Anaheim will no doubt play that card.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#102 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 6:56 pm

It may be huge, but it's not gonna be enough to push the price up to getting Kadri and a second rounder. To me, they'll be lucky to get a second rounder alone and that's something I'd do. Maybe you tier the trade so that if you sign him, you can send Anaheim something else.

But again, that would be minor. You don't give up large assets for a guy hitting the market in a month.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#103 » by Drake_02 » Thu May 3, 2012 7:45 pm

whysoserious wrote:It may be huge, but it's not gonna be enough to push the price up to getting Kadri and a second rounder. To me, they'll be lucky to get a second rounder alone and that's something I'd do. Maybe you tier the trade so that if you sign him, you can send Anaheim something else.

But again, that would be minor. You don't give up large assets for a guy hitting the market in a month.

Yeah, I could see a condition on a trade. Maybe a second/Kadri and a Conditional 3rd or 4th
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#104 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 7:50 pm

I hope be second/Kadri you're referring to one or the other but Kadri's name even being mentioned is probably overreaching. Again, I understand Schultz has some high potential, but when you can simply sign him, just sign him.

Maybe you can convince Edmonton to take Gardiner and the 5th pick for number one overall, draft Yakupov and then sign Schultz outright.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#105 » by Drake_02 » Fri May 4, 2012 1:16 am

whysoserious wrote:I hope be second/Kadri you're referring to one or the other but Kadri's name even being mentioned is probably overreaching. Again, I understand Schultz has some high potential, but when you can simply sign him, just sign him.

Maybe you can convince Edmonton to take Gardiner and the 5th pick for number one overall, draft Yakupov and then sign Schultz outright.

If Schultz goes to FA he will be over payed by any team. If you were to get his rights, then you can sign him for cheaper. He could be signed from 3-3.5 mill per year, but on the open market he could be gettong 4 million per year.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#106 » by whysoserious » Fri May 4, 2012 1:43 am

If he's already looking to go to free agency, it's the fact that he thinks he knows his market value and that he wants out of Anaheim.

You're not likely getting any discount trading him earlier than his FA status. It could drive the market up but he can't just sign for a crazy contract. He's still bound by the CBA and from my understanding there's a certain amount capped and even length. It's a matter of him choosing. So if you trade for him, you basically have to know you'll sign him and you're not gonnna give up much in case he wants to just sign somewhere else.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#107 » by Drake_02 » Fri May 4, 2012 3:53 pm

whysoserious wrote:If he's already looking to go to free agency, it's the fact that he thinks he knows his market value and that he wants out of Anaheim.

You're not likely getting any discount trading him earlier than his FA status. It could drive the market up but he can't just sign for a crazy contract. He's still bound by the CBA and from my understanding there's a certain amount capped and even length. It's a matter of him choosing. So if you trade for him, you basically have to know you'll sign him and you're not gonnna give up much in case he wants to just sign somewhere else.

If he goes to FA, the price will go up. I don't know how much, but the price will go up. Having the extra month, would give the team a huge advantage.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#108 » by whysoserious » Fri May 4, 2012 6:00 pm

I may have read it wrong, but on the link to the original story, he's pretty much bound by entry-level contract status. And if I understand it correctly, there's a cap on money and length. So it can only go up to a certain point. The reason why money is not a big deal is it seems he just doesn't want to be a part of the Ducks organization. And that's why this situation has come up.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#109 » by Drake_02 » Fri May 4, 2012 8:40 pm

whysoserious wrote:I may have read it wrong, but on the link to the original story, he's pretty much bound by entry-level contract status. And if I understand it correctly, there's a cap on money and length. So it can only go up to a certain point. The reason why money is not a big deal is it seems he just doesn't want to be a part of the Ducks organization. And that's why this situation has come up.

Oh, I thought he could only sign for 3 years, but for as much money as he wants.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#110 » by whysoserious » Tue May 8, 2012 4:36 pm

So any added pressure on BB since Phoenix is now in the Conference Finals and we can't even make the playoffs. I swear if another team that's never won a Stanley Cup wins it before us, I just give up on having faith in this organization.

I will always be a Leaf fan but I'd rather focus my energy towards the basketball team.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,422
And1: 35
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#111 » by Crowned » Tue May 8, 2012 7:40 pm

Phoenix was built through their coach, and good role players. Everyone knows their role on that team, and plays it to perfection. There isn't a single star on the roster, and they have a goaltender that had a hard time cracking an NHL roster stealing the show. It's great to watch.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#112 » by whysoserious » Tue May 8, 2012 7:57 pm

Crowned wrote:Phoenix was built through their coach, and good role players. Everyone knows their role on that team, and plays it to perfection. There isn't a single star on the roster, and they have a goaltender that had a hard time cracking an NHL roster stealing the show. It's great to watch.


I don't want to go downt the path of the way Phoenix built their team. But it's depressing to see them have success and we can't even simply make the playoffs.

For once, I'd like to see the Leafs with players that are considered some of the best at their positions and have success and win.

But we can't even make the god damn playoffs.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#113 » by Drake_02 » Tue May 8, 2012 10:27 pm

Crowned wrote:Phoenix was built through their coach, and good role players. Everyone knows their role on that team, and plays it to perfection. There isn't a single star on the roster, and they have a goaltender that had a hard time cracking an NHL roster stealing the show. It's great to watch.

Give us Mike Smith and were in the playoffs. We scored a lot of goals this year, and if we got good goaltending, there's no doubt in my mind that we would be in the playoffs.
User avatar
Traps92
Sophomore
Posts: 110
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 16, 2009

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#114 » by Traps92 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:03 am

1. This off-season, leafs have to get rid of their players and let some of our key prospects play full time next year (i.e Kadri, Colbourne, etc)

2. Leafs should draft either galchenyuk or forsberg

3. Leafs need to pair up kessel with a top six forward or something

4. Leafs need to shop for a goaltender (i.e Tim Thomas)
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#115 » by YogiStewart » Wed May 30, 2012 2:22 am

Traps92 wrote:1. This off-season, leafs have to get rid of their players and let some of our key prospects play full time next year (i.e Kadri, Colbourne, etc)



not Burke's style. he likes his geezers.
Blessed
Banned User
Posts: 30
And1: 0
Joined: May 31, 2012
Location: My moms basement :D

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#116 » by Blessed » Wed Jun 6, 2012 7:10 pm

I guess BB didnt want to give Vokun a second year on the deal. I cant believe he got traded for a 7th rounder. I guess this means BB must really be into Luongo or Bernier.
flatjacket1
Analyst
Posts: 3,237
And1: 65
Joined: Oct 27, 2009

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#117 » by flatjacket1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:05 am

Traps92 wrote:1. This off-season, leafs have to get rid of their players and let some of our key prospects play full time next year (i.e Kadri, Colbourne, etc)

I agree with this. Lets start developing.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,610
And1: 7,641
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#118 » by whysoserious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Jarret Stoll re-signed in LA, was really hoping we could get him to help down the middle.
User avatar
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,494
And1: 672
Joined: Nov 30, 2003

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#119 » by Homer Jay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 pm

We have to fully commit to Kadri/Colborne/Frattin/Franson/Ashton/Lashoff/Blacker. We might lose some games to start next season, but let's get an accurate read on the young talent. What's going to be accomplished playing guys like Armstrong/Connolly/Crabb heavy minutes. Burke needs to either go all in on the rebuild or get the eff out of the way of it. Wouldn't mind seeing Komi/Gunnarson/Schenn going out this off season to get a goalie back in return.
Image
User avatar
sanity
RealGM
Posts: 17,550
And1: 1,810
Joined: Jul 08, 2009

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#120 » by sanity » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I'll be mega pissed if Kadri isn't on the 2nd line next season. Ashton will likely play the entire season with the big club, but we really need to get some value/evaluation out of Kadri. Either we use him or Burke has to just trade him

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs