ImageImageImage

My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas

Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:22 am

Check it out and tell me if I'm wrong.

Here's the quick summary as to why I think it makes sense.

First, if Boston goes out in the first round, there will be changes. They need to upgrade in some areas (probably 1 more top d-man and some more scoring talent up front).
They are stacked at the goalie position so they can deal from a position of strength. You keep your younger goalie, who has more long-term promise, and you trade your higher-paid veteran who may only have a few years left.

They're also likely some hard feeling against Thomas. The Bruins started to lose shortly around the White House visit controversy. Thomas's goaltending also started to suffer around then.

We all know how Burke likes his Americans, so Thomas fits the bill (sorry, but Burke does). and how many other teams need a top-notch goaltender? the Lightening, maybe the Oilers, maybe the Blackhawks? The Wings need a goalie upgrade but they will probably stick with Howard.

The only flaw to my theory is: what's Thomas's value and do the Leafs have anything to send back? I'd argue that a goalie prospect, a b-level d prospect and a 2nd round draft pick would get it done. even that may be too steep. Thomas has 1 year left on his contract (at $3 million) so he's a rental goalie of sorts. and an affordable one.

Think about it...
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,643
And1: 7,684
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#2 » by whysoserious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 pm

I kind of disagree on the Burke likes American's thing. This is not some biased towards American players. This is a GM that has an advantage with a lot of connections to the American system. Also, he's taken advantage of the NCAA system and signed American guys because he hasn't been able to get a lot of top free agents to come, didn't have a lot of picks and thus took advantage of just getting young assets that way throughout the system.

If you look at Anaheim and Vancouver, there was not this same supposed biased towards American players. I think people just use this as an excuse to criticize Burke.

As for Thomas, the Leafs should stay away. That's a short term fix to a bigger problem. He's very good when he's on, but his style is not consistent and this year he had major issues. If you're going to make a move like that, might as well go for Luongo. I guess at the end of it it all depends on what it will cost the Leafs in any situation to get that goalie. If Thomas doesn't cost you a lot, so be it.

If Boston is looking to get out of that contract and move to Rask, Burke should squeeze something else out of them like he did with Colborne.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#3 » by YogiStewart » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Luongo has a horrible contract. i would say he's almost unmovable.
Thomas allows you to groom Reimer for 1 year from now if you sincerely think Reimer has potential.

But let's play along with what you're saying. let's say the Leafs want an experienced veteran goalie to come to toronto. are we talking about a starter or a back-up?

if you're looking at a starter, which starters are available? either via trade or free agency?
via trade: i cannot think of one option other than Reimer, unless Phili wants to trade Bobrovsky (questionable at best) or Washington wants to trade Vokhun.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#4 » by Crowned » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Luongo isn't untradeable, don't let the guys on the general board sway your opinion, where one of them makes a comment and the rest go "oh yeah, I agree". He'll have a few teams interested in him this summer, you can bank on it.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,643
And1: 7,684
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#5 » by whysoserious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Luongo's contract actually isn't that bad and the cap hit is pretty average. The length is a bit of an issue and Luongo has control over where he goes so Toronto is not likely at top of his list. If he's moved I'd assume TB and maybe Detroit would be on his list. Although Detroit really doesn't go after big money goalies.

The thing is Thomas is too much a distraction, has to be completely on to be effective. He plays a style that when his mind isn't in it, he looks absolutely horrendous. And if Allaire is still here, how do you work with Thomas while also trying to get Reimer to play a certain way.

The Leafs should have 3 targets on their mind this summer - Luongo, Schneider and Bernier. Thomas would be a fallback for either of those not coming to fruition. But even if that doesn't work out, there may be other guys that become available.
User avatar
Scottish_Leaf
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 22, 2012

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#6 » by Scottish_Leaf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I cant see Thomas to Leafs , i think we should be looking at a goalie like Backstrom
GO LEAFS GO
OK OK BLUE JAYS , BLUE JAYS ..LETS PLAY BALL
Twitter- @NFL_Hawk
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#7 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 am

why would the Canucks trade Schneider?
he's starting for them in the playoffs.
the only way he's traded is if they cannot trade Luongo. and some of you claim bobby loo's contract isn't THAT bad, therefore he is inded tradeable.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,643
And1: 7,684
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#8 » by whysoserious » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:28 am

Just cause Schneider is starting doesn't mean he couldn't be available. If Vancouver is smart they test the waters on both and see what they can get. I think Luongo can be moved but the return will be little, whereas Schneider will be more coveted and can get a better package back because of age and contract.

In the end, I think Vancouver hangs on to Schneider, especially now after what's happened in the playoffs. But leading up to the playoffs, we all knew one of Luongo or Schneider would be moved this off-season. It was always assumed Schneider would go but Vancouver's play means it's likely Roberto that gets traded at this point. Even though it's not entirely his fault what happened.

And Roberto is signed to a long deal so not all teams will be in the mix but the cap hit at just over 5 million is not bad and a team like Toronto can eat the length over time. I don't believe he ends up here, I just don't think he wants to be here. But that certainly doesn't mean Burke shouldn't look at both Vancouvers goalies. It's why I think the Leafs should target Bernier.
User avatar
Jay_Hawk
Pro Prospect
Posts: 787
And1: 132
Joined: Jun 08, 2006
Location: TOR

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#9 » by Jay_Hawk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 am

YogiStewart wrote:why would the Canucks trade Schneider?
he's starting for them in the playoffs.
the only way he's traded is if they cannot trade Luongo. and some of you claim bobby loo's contract isn't THAT bad, therefore he is inded tradeable.


http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/03/28 ... next-year/

Hate that its a blog (mind you part of a Vancouver newspaper), but outlines why the 'Nucks might trade him to the Leafs. I'd be shocked if Vancouver has both Luongo and Schneider on next years' roster...logic dictates one of them has to go.
Image

Props to Brunoskull for the sig.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#10 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am

Jay_Hawk wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:why would the Canucks trade Schneider?
he's starting for them in the playoffs.
the only way he's traded is if they cannot trade Luongo. and some of you claim bobby loo's contract isn't THAT bad, therefore he is inded tradeable.


http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/03/28 ... next-year/

Hate that its a blog (mind you part of a Vancouver newspaper), but outlines why the 'Nucks might trade him to the Leafs. I'd be shocked if Vancouver has both Luongo and Schneider on next years' roster...logic dictates one of them has to go.


except that Burke NEVER makes offers on RFA.
he's 100% against it.
remember his fight with Kevin Lowe over Dustin Penner?
He's also gone on the record saying that he will not make offers to RFAs.

so it will be a trade that nets them a goalie. i can't see a sign and trade happening. you don't get that too often in today's NHL
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#11 » by Crowned » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 pm

He'll work out a trade to avoid signing a RFA to an offer sheet, much like he did with Kessel. I don't know that I'd sign Schneider to an offer sheet, depending on what he'll want salary wise, it might cost us more than he's worth.
KayJay_02
Banned User
Posts: 24
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 15, 2012

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#12 » by KayJay_02 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 pm

The leafs do need a decent veteran goalie, but just not Tim Thomas. His style is stupid, that alaire(spelling?) would want him traded. I like gigure, just because him and Reimer are friends and giggy plays alaires style so well.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#13 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:55 am

Allaire may retire, there's rumblings out there that he will be. I've been at Leaf practices and seen his coaching, and there's no way Tim Thomas would/could do quite a few of the drills he makes them perform. I couldn't see him changing Thomas' style of play what so ever, that's what makes him the goaltender he is, much like Hasek was.
UN-Owen
Banned User
Posts: 2,990
And1: 409
Joined: Oct 13, 2011

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#14 » by UN-Owen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36 am

Thomas just turned 38 last week and if I'm not mistaken has only 1 year left on his deal

Unless you think the Leafs are contenders next year with Thomas between the pipes, why part with assets to get a possible 1 year rental?
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#15 » by Drake_02 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Why Thomas when luongo is available?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#16 » by YogiStewart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 pm

UN-Owen wrote:Thomas just turned 38 last week and if I'm not mistaken has only 1 year left on his deal

Unless you think the Leafs are contenders next year with Thomas between the pipes, why part with assets to get a possible 1 year rental?


why get a 10 year contract over here, especially when he's on the downturn?

Thomas's 1 year (and his signing an extension a la Liles) makes a lot of sense than Luongo. the fact that its a 1 year deal and the fact that goaltending won't be a huge off-season commodity means that the leafs would be giving up things like a 2nd round pick or 2 or maybe a B-level prospect (or 2).

the difference between trading for Luongo and Thomas, in my opinion, is that Luongo will cost a hell of a lot less. maybe you can send back a stuff like Komisarek or Connoley so the salaries balance out for 1-2 years.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#17 » by Drake_02 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:12 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:Thomas just turned 38 last week and if I'm not mistaken has only 1 year left on his deal

Unless you think the Leafs are contenders next year with Thomas between the pipes, why part with assets to get a possible 1 year rental?


why get a 10 year contract over here, especially when he's on the downturn?

Thomas's 1 year (and his signing an extension a la Liles) makes a lot of sense than Luongo. the fact that its a 1 year deal and the fact that goaltending won't be a huge off-season commodity means that the leafs would be giving up things like a 2nd round pick or 2 or maybe a B-level prospect (or 2).

the difference between trading for Luongo and Thomas, in my opinion, is that Luongo will cost a hell of a lot less. maybe you can send back a stuff like Komisarek or Connoley so the salaries balance out for 1-2 years.

Right now, people shouldn't be looking at his contract as 'it has 10 years left'. Really, it's a six year deal where he gets paid 6.7 and has a 5.33 million dollar cap hit, with a 7th year at a 5.33 cap hit and he gets paid 6.7 mill. By time the 6 years are up, luongo will be 39 and he will most likely retire. If he returns in the 7th year, he has to be productive.
UN-Owen
Banned User
Posts: 2,990
And1: 409
Joined: Oct 13, 2011

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#18 » by UN-Owen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:Thomas just turned 38 last week and if I'm not mistaken has only 1 year left on his deal

Unless you think the Leafs are contenders next year with Thomas between the pipes, why part with assets to get a possible 1 year rental?


why get a 10 year contract over here, especially when he's on the downturn?

Thomas's 1 year (and his signing an extension a la Liles) makes a lot of sense than Luongo. the fact that its a 1 year deal and the fact that goaltending won't be a huge off-season commodity means that the leafs would be giving up things like a 2nd round pick or 2 or maybe a B-level prospect (or 2).

the difference between trading for Luongo and Thomas, in my opinion, is that Luongo will cost a hell of a lot less. maybe you can send back a stuff like Komisarek or Connoley so the salaries balance out for 1-2 years.


I never mentioned anything about Luongo

However, you're making a rather bold (and I think foolish) assumption that Thomas can be had for a 2nd rounder


So do you think the Leafs are legit contenders with their current roster and Thomas between the pipes?

I don't...
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#19 » by YogiStewart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Burke thinks the Leafs are contenders every bloody year. he's the one making the trade, not me. I'm convinced that the future doesn't look all that bright for Toronto. its D is overrated. an above average goalie will knock off 1/2 to 1 goal a game. so yeah, they need some big help.

By the way, Steve Simmonds basically shares my sentiments that i posted earlier today about Luongo (who Leaf fans, not me, want) and he gives his take on Thomas.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/25/le ... ns-limited

so why don't you share what you think Thomas's value is? 1 year left. he's a rental goalie that declined in the last 1/3 of this season.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#20 » by Drake_02 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 pm

YogiStewart wrote:Burke thinks the Leafs are contenders every bloody year. he's the one making the trade, not me. I'm convinced that the future doesn't look all that bright for Toronto. its D is overrated. an above average goalie will knock off 1/2 to 1 goal a game. so yeah, they need some big help.

By the way, Steve Simmonds basically shares my sentiments that i posted earlier today about Luongo (who Leaf fans, not me, want) and he gives his take on Thomas.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/25/le ... ns-limited

so why don't you share what you think Thomas's value is? 1 year left. he's a rental goalie that declined in the last 1/3 of this season.

I understand where you're coming from, but Thomas probably won't help Reimer. Of course Thomas will teH him little things about the pressure, but he won't teach reimer how to play his (Reimer) style. Thomas plays a stupid style, and well, Reimer doesn't. If your going to get a veteran to help the young guy, then Get a veteran that has played reimers style and has done well playing that style.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs