ImageImageImage

Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#1 » by Drake_02 » Thu May 3, 2012 6:19 pm

This is strictly for rumours, and trades that BB makes. If you have a rumour please post it with your source (a link).
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#2 » by YogiStewart » Mon May 7, 2012 4:15 pm

Leafs May sign Komarov (draft pick)

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630847

dude's a checker. yawn.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,645
And1: 7,687
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#3 » by whysoserious » Mon May 7, 2012 4:22 pm

Well a cheap checker on the third line is not a bad thing if he can prove himself. Better than overpaying for some guys like Burke has been doing limiting him in other areas.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#4 » by Crowned » Mon May 7, 2012 10:20 pm

Actually, bringing Komarov over is exactly what this team needs. He's one of our draft picks, and having him develop with the rest of the youth on the roster is quite beneficial. He's still only 25, and lots of room to grow. He's a center, so he could slot into our 3rd/4th line right away. I've seen a lot of Jarko Ruutu comparisons, which is fine by me. I've seen him play a few times (World Championships, etc), and he's got some decent speed and skill, but he definitely plays a pest role. If Burke wants trucculence and all that nonsense, then he'll fit in nicely.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,188
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#5 » by YogiStewart » Tue May 8, 2012 11:48 am

the team needs a 1st line centre.
and it needs to gut its defense (but it won't)
i'd argue that the team's full of 3rd and 4th line players. Brown, Armstrong, Zigomanis in the minors
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#6 » by Crowned » Tue May 8, 2012 7:37 pm

I agree that we need a first line center, but we're talking about signing a prior draft choice, and promoting him to the Leafs...never a bad thing.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#7 » by Drake_02 » Tue May 8, 2012 10:44 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630807

Dudley is going to leave Toronto for Montreal. The problem is that Dudley knows the Leafs draft information. Dudley has a 'out' clause. He can use it 30 days after the season ends.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#8 » by Drake_02 » Wed May 9, 2012 8:33 pm

Interesting blog I read.

A couple weeks ago, AP writer Alan Robinson tweeted the following.

Alan Robinson ‏ @alanrobinson22

Have heard from multiple people Staal not content to remain in current role much longer. He could be No 1 center in a lot of cities.

Mr. Robinson has been on the Pittsburgh sports scene for decades and isn’t prone to hype. The statement pretty much speaks for itself.

I'd take Staal in a heart beat.
User avatar
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,503
And1: 114
Joined: Apr 18, 2010

Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#9 » by Ducksplatt » Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Drake_02 wrote:Interesting blog I read.

A couple weeks ago, AP writer Alan Robinson tweeted the following.

Alan Robinson ‏ @alanrobinson22

Have heard from multiple people Staal not content to remain in current role much longer. He could be No 1 center in a lot of cities.

Mr. Robinson has been on the Pittsburgh sports scene for decades and isn’t prone to hype. The statement pretty much speaks for itself.

I'd take Staal in a heart beat.


Agree. And they can have anything on the roster to make that happen.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#10 » by Crowned » Fri May 11, 2012 3:45 am

I wouldn't go that far. Jordan Staal hasn't proved to be anything more than a 1B/2A center.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,645
And1: 7,687
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#11 » by whysoserious » Fri May 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Crowned wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Jordan Staal hasn't proved to be anything more than a 1B/2A center.


As a 1b/2a center he's definitely better than anything we currently have. He's still relatively young, gets an opportunity to show he's more than a number 2 center and he's a good two-way player. Also seems to have some good leadership skills.

As much as I know we're looking at a goalie at this point, I'd be more inclined to move prospects for Staal then a goaltender upgrade.
Drake_02
Banned User
Posts: 329
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#12 » by Drake_02 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:58 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Crowned wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Jordan Staal hasn't proved to be anything more than a 1B/2A center.


As a 1b/2a center he's definitely better than anything we currently have. He's still relatively young, gets an opportunity to show he's more than a number 2 center and he's a good two-way player. Also seems to have some good leadership skills.

As much as I know we're looking at a goalie at this point, I'd be more inclined to move prospects for Staal then a goaltender upgrade.

IMO, Staal is a number 1 center. He has great defensive skills and he has had flashes of offensive skill. We just don't see it a lot of it because he is playing behind Crosby and Malkin.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,425
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#13 » by Crowned » Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 am

whysoserious wrote:
Crowned wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Jordan Staal hasn't proved to be anything more than a 1B/2A center.


As a 1b/2a center he's definitely better than anything we currently have. He's still relatively young, gets an opportunity to show he's more than a number 2 center and he's a good two-way player. Also seems to have some good leadership skills.

As much as I know we're looking at a goalie at this point, I'd be more inclined to move prospects for Staal then a goaltender upgrade.


I'm not disputing that he's a definite upgrade. I was disagreeing with the fact that we should trade anything on the roster for him.
User avatar
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,503
And1: 114
Joined: Apr 18, 2010

Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#14 » by Ducksplatt » Tue May 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Crowned wrote:
whysoserious wrote:
Crowned wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Jordan Staal hasn't proved to be anything more than a 1B/2A center.


As a 1b/2a center he's definitely better than anything we currently have. He's still relatively young, gets an opportunity to show he's more than a number 2 center and he's a good two-way player. Also seems to have some good leadership skills.

As much as I know we're looking at a goalie at this point, I'd be more inclined to move prospects for Staal then a goaltender upgrade.


I'm not disputing that he's a definite upgrade. I was disagreeing with the fact that we should trade anything on the roster for him.


OK, maybe it was a knee jerk reaction. Maybe almost anyone. Maybe not the golden child (Gardiner) and Kessel (that would be a PR nightmare) but after that, the roster is open for dealing.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Blessed
Banned User
Posts: 30
And1: 0
Joined: May 31, 2012
Location: My moms basement :D

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#15 » by Blessed » Thu May 31, 2012 7:15 pm

Heres something pretty interesting.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Aug ... /120/44707

pretty much says the Justin Schultz has one team in mind and its Toronto, and ANA is trying to charge Toronto for tampering.
User avatar
McFurious1
Head Coach
Posts: 7,338
And1: 838
Joined: Jan 21, 2006

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#16 » by McFurious1 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 2:45 am

Luongo a Leaf? 90% done

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... maple-leaf

Can't wait to see Burke fired.
Blessed
Banned User
Posts: 30
And1: 0
Joined: May 31, 2012
Location: My moms basement :D

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#17 » by Blessed » Sat Jun 2, 2012 4:03 am

McFurious1 wrote:Luongo a Leaf? 90% done

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... maple-leaf

Can't wait to see Burke fired.

Wow. Id love to have Luongo here for the next 5 or 6 years, but not 10. But really, I dont care, as long as we dont give up to much.
User avatar
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,503
And1: 114
Joined: Apr 18, 2010

Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#18 » by Ducksplatt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:08 pm

From the Fridge on his weekly 30 Thoughts:

There are rumblings that Toronto will offer Luke Schenn to Edmonton for a swap of first-rounders. No doubt Brian Burke would like to make a huge draft splash. He loves the big stage. And I do believe the Oilers like Schenn and have discussed his availability before. But I just can't see it happening for the first-overall selection. That's not enough. It'll be interesting, though, to see how many teams think Schenn will be better off outside Toronto. Sounds like the Maple Leafs are aware of that and, as a result, ask for a lot in return


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/keeping-crosby-is-risky-business-for-penguins.html

It would seem odd that Burke would want another small winger...I think that Burke may try to flip the pick for someone like Nash or Stall or even Getzlaf or Perry.

I don't know if Schenn and #5 gets it done but it would be a good trade for both teams IMO.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Dexter_Mac
Banned User
Posts: 15
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 11, 2012

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#19 » by Dexter_Mac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Ducksplatt wrote:From the Fridge on his weekly 30 Thoughts:

There are rumblings that Toronto will offer Luke Schenn to Edmonton for a swap of first-rounders. No doubt Brian Burke would like to make a huge draft splash. He loves the big stage. And I do believe the Oilers like Schenn and have discussed his availability before. But I just can't see it happening for the first-overall selection. That's not enough. It'll be interesting, though, to see how many teams think Schenn will be better off outside Toronto. Sounds like the Maple Leafs are aware of that and, as a result, ask for a lot in return


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/keeping-crosby-is-risky-business-for-penguins.html

It would seem odd that Burke would want another small winger...I think that Burke may try to flip the pick for someone like Nash or Stall or even Getzlaf or Perry.

I don't know if Schenn and #5 gets it done but it would be a good trade for both teams IMO.

IMO, it would be a huge steal for the leafs. But, I highly doubt that Edmonton would do that unless it was Gardiner and not Schenn. But still, Im fine with the 5th overall pick, we might get Galchenyuk. Edmonton and Columbus need to make a deal.
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 29,645
And1: 7,687
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Rumor/Trade/News Thread 

Post#20 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Dexter_Mac wrote:
Ducksplatt wrote:From the Fridge on his weekly 30 Thoughts:

There are rumblings that Toronto will offer Luke Schenn to Edmonton for a swap of first-rounders. No doubt Brian Burke would like to make a huge draft splash. He loves the big stage. And I do believe the Oilers like Schenn and have discussed his availability before. But I just can't see it happening for the first-overall selection. That's not enough. It'll be interesting, though, to see how many teams think Schenn will be better off outside Toronto. Sounds like the Maple Leafs are aware of that and, as a result, ask for a lot in return


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/keeping-crosby-is-risky-business-for-penguins.html

It would seem odd that Burke would want another small winger...I think that Burke may try to flip the pick for someone like Nash or Stall or even Getzlaf or Perry.

I don't know if Schenn and #5 gets it done but it would be a good trade for both teams IMO.

IMO, it would be a huge steal for the leafs. But, I highly doubt that Edmonton would do that unless it was Gardiner and not Schenn. But still, Im fine with the 5th overall pick, we might get Galchenyuk. Edmonton and Columbus need to make a deal.


How many times are you gonna come back after being waived?

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs