ImageImageImage

Morgan Reilly

Moderator: Crowned

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Morgan Reilly 

Post#21 » by whysoserious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Crowned wrote:No need to get upset over the pick. Sure, they could've used a forward over another blueliner. I would've also taken Forsberg. However, this kid is going to be a stud. He's got some of the best upside in the draft. It's not like we passed up on Forsberg and reached big time for Reilly, he would've gone soon after. I honestly thought that Reinhart was going to be a Leaf, but he was already taken.

I don't think I have any problem with the pick. My preference was for a talented forward but this looks like a solid pick. I have issue with Burkes line of taking this kid at number 1. It puts undue pressure on this kid that is unnecessary and there was no need for him to defend this pick at 5 with that statement.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think at 1 they would pass on Yakupov or Galchenyuk. If he did trade up to 1 and drafted Reilly he should be fired right after the draft.

With that said, if we can sign Schultz, you have Schultz, Gardiner, Schenn, Reilly, and Holzer as your future defence. That is pretty sick and you can flip one for a forward.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,953

Post#22 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:18 pm

They're saying he's 3 years away. We have to -2 that because of the Toronto media. Then +1 that because of Burke's tradition of slowly bringing along prospects. Then -1 because his job could be on the line by the end of next year.

He'll be here in one season.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#23 » by whysoserious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't think so, Burke has shown a willingness to let is prospects develop slowly regardless.

He's probably gonna play junior this year, be given a shot next year and probably play at least a season with the Marlies, considering some of the guys signed here.

I'm really hopeful we get Schultz signed up. Maybe his buddy Jake Gardiner can talk to him.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#24 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:42 pm

whysoserious wrote:Burke says this guy was rated number one overall on the Leafs list and had they had the number 1 pick they would have selected him.

Burke needs to shut up and stop saying stuff like this. These are the things that bite you in the ass Burkie. Enough with the rhetoric, just go out, do your job and build a team that can compete and contend.

:lol:

Wow, I missed that!
In that case the Leafs should fire their entire scouting staff.

Yakupov and Murray were 1A and B they are on a different level then the rest of the guys, if Burke and Co actually mean that someone should be testing the water in the ACC
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#25 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Crowned wrote:No need to get upset over the pick. Sure, they could've used a forward over another blueliner. I would've also taken Forsberg. However, this kid is going to be a stud. He's got some of the best upside in the draft. It's not like we passed up on Forsberg and reached big time for Reilly, he would've gone soon after. I honestly thought that Reinhart was going to be a Leaf, but he was already taken.

He has a lot of potential because he has the longest way to go;
The Hasheem Thabeet/Andrew Bynum type of pick

Right now he is a winger who happens to plays defense with a very limited one way game, right now he is like a North American Sandis Ozolinsh, which isnt terrible but isnt terribly unique if he doesnt get at least two seasons to develop the rest of his game.

He is a propect who will be ruined if rushed, this aint the city for him.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
raptors_star
Senior
And1: 72

Post#26 » by raptors_star » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Does anybody know where I can watch day 2 of the draft online?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#27 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Grabbed Matthew Finn in the second round. Another D man.

NHL Central Scouting: 16 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 18, The Hockey News: No. 18, Button's Ranking: No. 9

I'm glad we're stocking up enough kids to push Dion out of town. Keep 'em coming, Burkie.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#28 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#29 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Morrison selling out Burkie already.

The Maple Leafs' director of amateur scouting Dave Morrison didn't necessarily confirm Brian Burke's assertion that number five overall pick Morgan Rielly was the highest player ranked on the Leafs' board, but admitted that "we had him pretty high."

Someone doesn't want to go down with the ship.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#30 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Morrison selling out Burkie already.

The Maple Leafs' director of amateur scouting Dave Morrison didn't necessarily confirm Brian Burke's assertion that number five overall pick Morgan Rielly was the highest player ranked on the Leafs' board, but admitted that "we had him pretty high."

Someone doesn't want to go down with the ship.

I always assume when Burke says 'we' he really means 'me'. :lol:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Garmfay
Assistant Coach
And1: 510

Post#31 » by Garmfay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Can't wait for this ego driven jackass to be fired. #FIREBURKE!!!
Credit to Turbo_Zone
"The Lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep"
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#32 » by whysoserious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Burke's biggest problem has been his mouth. He's actually stockpiled a ton of youth over the last 5 years. But he hasn't landed a generational talent. That's not easy. He made some good deals getting Phaneuf. Say what you want about the guy, but we basically gave up scraps for him and he can be an effective top 2 defensemen in the right situation. I actually think Carlyle will benefit him a lot.

Burke's biggest mistake was assuming he had a solid team early and spent money on the likes of Komisarek and what not. They should have been clearing cap at that time and loading up on youth, operating at the floor. He had carte blanche to do a full rebuild and the fans would have waited. Him and Colangelo tried to rebuild while trying to compete....that never works.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#33 » by s e n s i » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 pm

the leafs are the only damn team in the league with their GM as the face of the franchise, and burke loves it that way
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#34 » by UN-Owen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:32 am

After watching some of his highlights it's hard not to be excited with this pick

Rielly has jets in those skates
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#35 » by Mattd97 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:45 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Western Canadian with an Irish name. There was no way Burke was passing this up.

please, hed pass it up in a second if there was an american player available
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#36 » by Crowned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:

He has a lot of potential because he has the longest way to go;
The Hasheem Thabeet/Andrew Bynum type of pick

Right now he is a winger who happens to plays defense with a very limited one way game, right now he is like a North American Sandis Ozolinsh, which isnt terrible but isnt terribly unique if he doesnt get at least two seasons to develop the rest of his game.

He is a propect who will be ruined if rushed, this aint the city for him.

I don't think he'll be rushed at all. The only player other than Schenn (who was 220+ pounds, and built like a man at 18 years old) who has been rushed is Gardiner, and he didn't give them a choice but to keep him up in the NHL.

He played 18 games in the WHL this year, and that's where he'll play next year. He'll likely play with the Marlies the year after, and might make the jump afterwards.

They've been pretty good with having their players play with the Marlies prior to making the jump, guys like Colborne, Kadri, Blacker and co. can attest to that.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#37 » by Crowned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Grabbed Matthew Finn in the second round. Another D man.

NHL Central Scouting: 16 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 18, The Hockey News: No. 18, Button's Ranking: No. 9

I'm glad we're stocking up enough kids to push Dion out of town. Keep 'em coming, Burkie.

This shouldn't go unrecognized in this draft. Matthew Finn should've gone in the first round, and I'm very surprised he was still there with the Leafs pick. This kid is going to be a real good prospect.

If it were anyone else selected with that pick, I would've been upset we didn't draft Frk.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#38 » by Relentless88 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Is Erik Karlsson a good NHL comparison for Reilly? Is there a better comparison?
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#39 » by J Dilla » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm concerned about his previously torn acl
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#40 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm

J Dilla wrote:I'm concerned about his previously torn acl

The conventional wisdom is it's not a big deal for hockey players. Missing a year of development (and scouting, on our side) is more of a concern.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs