ImageImageImage

Why do some fans want Luongo?

Moderator: Crowned

kush-
Veteran
And1: 64

Why do some fans want Luongo? 

Post#1 » by kush- » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:03 pm

Look at the goalies that have won championships in the last few years. Very few of them had premium contracts. It's been proven that a lot of teams can build a championship team with a cheap goalie.

Luongo isn't the same franchise goalie he was, his contract is TERRIBLE, and this team is still missing top forwards that they need to use their cap on.

So someone please tell me why fans are advocating for Luongo.

Furthermore, Schneider is gonna get paid after this season, so the canucks HAVE to trade Luongo. This feels like another Kessel situation where the leafs want to overpay for someone that a team HAS to trade. Who else is bidding for Luongo? Do we really want a contract that goes beyond 2019????
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
sanity wrote: Roko Ukic's court vision and play-making abilities far exceeds this player... I'm shocked this thread is going on as long as it has. Comparing Lin to Rautins is an insult to Rautins.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: Why do some fans want Luongo? 

Post#2 » by CPT » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:18 pm

If he costs significant assets in a trade, I don't want him, but in a salary dump situation, he's still probably the best goalie available.

I believe he has a team option or something in a few years, so it's not quite the albatross it's made out to be. At least that's what I've been led to believe.
kush-
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#3 » by kush- » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:16 am

CPT wrote:If he costs significant assets in a trade, I don't want him, but in a salary dump situation, he's still probably the best goalie available.

I believe he has a team option or something in a few years, so it's not quite the albatross it's made out to be. At least that's what I've been led to believe.

Nope.

The only question now is can the Canucks trade Luongo, 33, and the 10 seasons left on his contract, with a salary-cap hit of $5.33-million (all currency U.S.) per year? While there was some thought the Canucks might find it easier to trade him when the Vancouver Province reported there is an out in Luongo’s contract, it turns out that is not the case.

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4101309/
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
sanity wrote: Roko Ukic's court vision and play-making abilities far exceeds this player... I'm shocked this thread is going on as long as it has. Comparing Lin to Rautins is an insult to Rautins.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#4 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't think all the details are out yet on the two buyouts provided in the new CBA, but if there isn't a restriction on acquired players then the contract risk gets thrown out the window. I'm not sure about other cap circumvention practices, but it's unlikely Luongo plays for the duration of his deal. If he retired at 40, when he's already earned the bulk of his contract, would the cap hit still apply?
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#5 » by Brew666 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:46 pm

I believe the 2 amnesty clauses will be our saving grace and Luongo won't be coming here.

I think in this case, it really hurts the Canucks and benefits Luongo b/c of his NTC. He's made it well known that he wants to return to Florida, so now he can turn down every deal and force Vancouver to amnesty him and then he signs w/ Florida for a home town discount. He still gets paid for his stupid contract and gets to play in Florida. Florida isn't willing to take on his contract as is, and if Luongo wants to play in Florida, all he has to do it wait. Is he willing to play in other cities? Possibly, but as much as I know he was pretty adamant on returning to Florida but they couldn't afford him on his current contract.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#6 » by Brew666 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:46 pm

I believe the 2 amnesty clauses will be our saving grace and Luongo won't be coming here.

I think in this case, it really hurts the Canucks and benefits Luongo b/c of his NTC. He's made it well known that he wants to return to Florida, so now he can turn down every deal and force Vancouver to amnesty him and then he signs w/ Florida for a home town discount. He still gets paid for his stupid contract and gets to play in Florida. Florida isn't willing to take on his contract as is, and if Luongo wants to play in Florida, all he has to do it wait. Is he willing to play in other cities? Possibly, but as much as I know he was pretty adamant on returning to Florida but they couldn't afford him on his current contract.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs