ImageImageImage

Twitter Rumour: Luongo for Bozak, Frattin, 1st or 2nd round

Moderator: Crowned

dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: Twitter Rumour: Luongo for Bozak, Frattin, 1st or 2nd ro 

Post#21 » by dacrusha » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

OhMyBosh wrote:NHLAlert_ apparently got the scoop that Luongo will be a Leaf once the deal is announced Thursday or Friday.

Not sure how accurate this guy's scoops are, but regardless, here's the tweet/discussion:

https://twitter.com/NHLAlert_

Edit: Twitter page removed. But rumours still flying regarding Luongo.

Does anyone here actually NOT believe that all these rumours are being started by the Canucks themselves to up Luongo's value? The Canucks should be giving incentives to other teams to take Luongo's terrible contract off their hands, but instead are entertaining offers for quality starters and high draft picks.

Florida, Philly and the Leafs are all now 'in the mix'. Better be at the top of that cooked-up bidding war.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#22 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Does anyone here actually NOT believe that all these rumours are being started by the Canucks themselves to up Luongo's value?

I heard about it from someone inside the MLSE organization.

Not to mention that absolutely nobody in that organization has publicly denied the Luongo rumour. Considering how strong it's been, that's pretty telling.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#23 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm

let him rot in Vancouver.
Vancouver can always amnesty him if they are over the cap.
Toronto should either pick him up for free or not pick him up at all.

and he's not a top 10 goaltender but is paid like a top 5 goaltender. why get hot and sweaty over him?
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#24 » by Ado05 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

And its not like with Luongo, the Leafs become cup contenders. The most I see Luongo doing for us is taking us to the second round.
number15
Banned User
And1: 43

Post#25 » by number15 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 pm

i would laugh if the Leafs have to amnesty Luongo in 2 seasons....... its very possible, dont kid yourself.

the future is not Luongo.... not even Reimer or Scrivins.... its Jussi Rynnas. 2 seasons from now, Rynnas will be a NHL starter roting in the minors. Luongo will need to be amnestied, but the cheap MLSE will stick with him and trade Rynnas.

look at Philly... they are willing to amnesty a 10 million year goalie just to win, while theyr also on hook for Pronger and possibly Luongo............... MLSE sucks.

Im not a Burke fan, but MLSE fired him cause he made a smart move of not giving Vancouver what they want..... MLSE WANTS Luongo. Nonis is forced to do the deal. Its what he was asked in his interview likely.

this desperation....... the 1 billion dollar team is not desperate to win... they are desperate to maximize their profit.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#26 » by UN-Owen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 am

The_Hater wrote:I don't think Luongo is terrible but I think his days as an elite goalie are over. They certainly looked that way last season anyways.

So then when you look at the other evidence such as his age and the fact that he's being paid like an elite goaltender and you really have to wonder why any team would give up much to take on that contract?

During his struggles last season I had the opinion that the only way the Canucks got rid of him was if they took on some other teams overpaid player and the trade I came up with that made the most sense was with Tampa for Vinny Lecavalier yet now it appears that they're going to get both cap relief and some young assets. You have to be impressed with how the Canucks are playing the market, they're keeping the better goalie and still getting value on the overpaid backup they want to dump when they should have absolutely no leverage here.

Who knows with Luongo, right?

He could come back and have 3 - 5 more elite seasons, or he may continue to decline

Brodeur was written off after a sub-par year, then bounced back to lead his team to the Finals at the age of what, 37? 38? 39?

And I also thought Luongo for Lecavalier made a lot of sense for both teams
The_Hater

Post#27 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 am

UN-Owen wrote:[

Who knows with Luongo, right?

He could come back and have 3 - 5 more elite seasons, or he may continue to decline

Brodeur was written off after a sub-par year, then bounced back to lead his team to the Finals at the age of what, 37? 38? 39?

And I also thought Luongo for Lecavalier made a lot of sense for both teams

Very good points. Tim Thomas was also written off and turned into backup during a season where he later won both the Vezina and Conn Smythe trophies at age 36 maybe? So I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Luongo bounced back too.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
frizzer1
Junior
And1: 64

Post#28 » by frizzer1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 am

They should continue the Burke tradition and give up another first round pick which would probably be a high lottery pick.
Worked before,right?
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#29 » by bballsparkin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Canuck fan here. I would do the proposed trade. I don't blame Leaf fans for being leery. His contract has frightening implications should he retire early. If Toronto acquired Luongo I would watch the Leafs more for sure. I still think he's a good goalie and could help the Leafs make the playoffs. But his contract is whack so I don't know. And if I was a Leaf fan, I'd be pissed if they included a first pick. As a Canuck fan I'd smile.
emfive
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#30 » by emfive » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Canuck fan here. I would do the proposed trade. I don't blame Leaf fans for being leery. His contract has frightening implications should he retire early. If Toronto acquired Luongo I would watch the Leafs more for sure. I still think he's a good goalie and could help the Leafs make the playoffs. But his contract is whack so I don't know. And if I was a Leaf fan, I'd be pissed if they included a first pick. As a Canuck fan I'd smile.

A Canuck fan should be happy with his trade anywhere for anything. No worries mate. Gillis is smart enough to amnesty the guy if he has no takers by year next.

In 3 years he will be living large in Florida while whatever team was stupid enough to trade for him is enduring a crushing cap hit!
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#31 » by bballsparkin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Good to know the Canucks have an amnesty option.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#32 » by chargerxthirty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm

lol @ people trying to say Roberto chokes in the clutch. Hockey teams lose and win as teams.

Last time I checked Roberto took the ungrateful Canuck fans to game 7 of the **** Dance. That hasn't been done since Kirk McLean. Let's also not forget that you guys had DAN CLOUTIER for years who was a piece of garbage... yet you guys want to villify Bobby Lou. We get it, you guys have some ginger who had a great year and now you're willing to give up Luongo, make no mistake though, you have no bargaining leverage.

For those saying Bobby Lou can't win the big game, his gold medal is **** on your opinion right now. You know, the one from the OLYMPICS, the ones that happened in CANADA.... where we beat the USA. Regardless what any of you peons may or may not think, that was the biggest game of Luongos life, and he won. The importance of that game will likely outweigh any game he ever plays in. Even game 7 of the Stanley Cup.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#33 » by bballsparkin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

^^This is the Leaf board eh. As far as I know I'm the only Canuck fan that has posted on here and I never said Luongo chokes in the clutch. In fact I thought he played pretty dang good last year. Playoffs included. The concern with Luongo is his contract. The so called "ginger' looks good too. And he's younger on a better contract.
The_Hater

Post#34 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm

[quote="bballsparkin". In fact I thought he played pretty dang good last year. Playoffs included.[/quote]

Interesting, you're clearly in the minority of the Canuck fans then. As great as he was 2 seasons ago, most seemed to think that he struggled last year and when compared to Schneider's numbers, it's not difficult to see why. And after he lost the first 2 playoff games, Schneider came in and played terrific the rest of the series there as well.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#35 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 am

Well my memory is not the best. I have friends who retell sporting events and their detail blows my mind. I'm not one of those guys lol. But I thought he was good. Schneider was better. And Quick even better. Canuck fans are known goalie killers.

If you have the time check out the highlights. Game one beside the Mitchell goal the other goals were tough.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,3,151&lang=en

Game two I'm sure he'd like back the third goal but the others were legit. I see a lot of coughing up the puck by Canuck players in the highlights. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,3,152&lang=en

Game 1 Luongo was out shot 38-26. But game two Quick dominated being out shot 48-26.
Molly
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#36 » by Molly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Does anyone know the presale code password for maple leaf tickets today?
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#37 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Connoly was waived today. I doubt they trade Bozak now as they just don't have a replacement for him within the organization.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#38 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 am

This whole goalie conundrum is especially aggravating to me considering we had our goalie in Tuukka Rask before JFJ traded him for Raycroft who was obviously flawed. Although I am often wrong, I knew at the time that Rask was >>>>>> Pogge, and Raycroft was hot garbage. Now,,, I am especially disinclined to give up any of our 'budding' youth for another short-term stab at it.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#39 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 am

Cox wrote in the star today Luongo is still a good option and Bozak might be enough. As a Canuck fan I'd do Luongo for Bozak. Bozak is a useful additional and frees up cap money for the Canucks. I thought it's pretty risky for the Leafs due to Luongo's crazy contract. The one bright light for the Leafs which occured to me today is the possibility of the amnesty being added to the next CBA. Which would allow the Leafs to cut ties with Luongo in a few years. Supposing this is a possibility, it seems like a good trade for Toronto. Although still risky I admit.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#40 » by TheAlchemist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm

For Bozak only? I'd do it ina heart beat.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs