ImageImageImage

Playoff Game 1: Leafs @ Bruins (7PM CBC)

Moderator: Crowned

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Re: Playoff Game 1: Leafs @ Bruins (7PM CBC) 

Post#421 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 am

@JRoc, I know you addressed some things I did, altho a differing view which I appreciate, but I wanna address some of thigns, I apologize in advance if it gets lengthy, tl;dr. I wont quote it, so ill go in order of your post.

Youre right it wasnt about any one player, but thats what we as fans do, deconstruct the team and try the flesh out the weaknesses and address them. I could cite numerous things, in general terms I think Reims overachieved, irregardless how anyone felt he played the last few mins. He had the same save% as Tuukka, but because his defense was much worse, and they gave up more shots, his GAA is lower.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQymb34ZHI[/youtube]

Who was Phaneuf covering on that play? Gunnar was caught between Jagr on the circle, and Lucic infront. Id prefer Reims give up no rebound, but there was literally no one near Lucic for the tap in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ecqbRD5rs[/youtube]

FO win, pull it back so they can pull the goalie, rush up ice, into the cycle game, to the point and Chara screening Reims. Look at Phaneuf that whole play, one bump, then shoved away while they score, he did nothing. Kule, Chara, Phaneuf, Gunnar, and I couldnt make out the other Bruins player crossing/screening. No rebound, because like alot in that period, he dropped butterfly and hoped it would hit him, because he wasnt seeing the puck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGXAd38lojU[/youtube]

FO win, keep it in the zone, cycle, a guy at the top of the circle gets a one timer (absurdly bad coverage), Seguin gets to the rebound first because Gards tries to hit his stick, manages to get the rebound, and passes to an in stride Bergeron coming in on an out of position Reims, game over. What was Grabo doing? Where was Franson going? Gards gave it away.

It was a tonne of bad luck, but winning just one of the final 7 FOs (im pretty sure I read/heard they lost the last 7, cant confirm tho) would have resulted in more time ticked off, and more importantly, possession.

So lets take that game out of the equation.

I dont blame Phaneuf for that game (altho he deserves alot), or the one he took blame for. Thats who he is, were both in agreement. Except for me personally, when you have Gards/JML/Reilly/Franson/Phaneuf none of these guys are shut down players, maybe Gunnar can become closer when he fixes that hip this offseason (ive been reading all season he was supposed to be out for games, and played through). So like Rudy Gay, if youre going to allocate that much $$ (6.5m) to a number 1 defenseman who cant shut down/clear out front (your biggest need) I think hes the candidate to be replaced most (obv if a deal is good, etc..). Thats not a player comparison, so please dont address that minutiae, was just sayin. Also I acknowledge he wont be traded, just my opinion. Ideally id like to get rid of Liles 4mil too.

_______/Gards
Gunnar/Franson
JML/Fraser (Holzer/Blacker/Finn/Ranger/etc.. so many very good D on the Marlies/system). Please god, no more Kostka.

I love Lupul, but he is streaky, and wasnt really there much the last 2 games. Hes def a keeper tho, and an elder statesman on this team.

Now heres our biggest difference, Reimer. Ive been a fan of his since the A, and wrote in 09 how I loved his game for the Marlboros. So lets go look at his stats prior to being with the Leafs.
He was good with Red Deer, I remember talking to a friend about him after the Leafs drafted him, and he said he could pan out. .913 avg save%, in the WHL a notorious high scoring league back then. He didnt look too good in their playoff year. Good enough to get an invite to team Canada Juniors.

ill skip his ECHL/first Marlies experience, as he didnt perform that bad it just wasnt noteworthy either way. He was MVP of the ECHL playoffs his only year, I guess thats noteworthy.

So 09-11 he played for the Marlboros, I saw, I want to say 3 games and he stole the show. First year (.925SV%/2.25GGA) he was good, gettin like 29+ shots a game against. Next year (.920/2.57), on 30+ shots. He played great for team Canada in the IIHF.

Look at his pro numbers, solid. Take out the sophomore season because of this..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQXQQ38jFE[/youtube]

He started 4-0-1, remember coming off a hot rookie year. So this year he comes back strong, 8th in SV%, 6th in ShutOuts, 9th in Goalie Point Shares (advanced metric). Outplayed his counterpart (Rask) this series, who by most analysts would say, has a better defense in front of him and the better team. Did I mention hes a year younger than Rask, a 24 yr old goalie on this team should be embraced not replaced. We dont want to have a Phi/Bobrovsky situation, the guys a Vezina candidate (and probable winner) this year.

I agree Reimer does need help of playing the puck, he looked absolutely lost on the puck, but fortunately so have alot of good goaltenders, its just everyone is compared to Brodeur (the greatest puck handler/goalie of our generation). And luckily its something I think that can be taught and improved over time.

Sorry again, hope you made it through that novel man, take care.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#422 » by J Dilla » Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 am

The only thing that could have been worse is if this Game 7 was at the ACC instead. But that's what next year is for. We'll have a fantastic regular season, people will get excited, and we'll lose in the first round in Game 7 at home after giving up a 6 goal lead.

I've casually followed the leafs since the lockout in 2005, and what I've noticed is this team starts of **** but ends on a good note to increase optimism for next season.

For the past 2 seasons though this team starts of nicely but collapses in the end. This was a shortened season and what we saw in the playoffs was their usual mid season collapse. If we didn't have a 40 game season there's no way in blue hell this team was going to make the playoffs. I don't think they're making it next year.

I'm quite surprised with the reaction of the puckheads in this city after the collapse. It's like they are drugged to support this team blindly when they need a full and complete rebuild.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#423 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am

^^
I do not understand where this "usual" mid season collapse comes from? did it just become fashionable?
As I remember outside of the year before (and maybe the one before that), the argument was how the leafs would tease and go on a ridiculous run when they were pretty much out of the race.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#424 » by J-Roc » Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am

vini_vidi_vici wrote:@JRoc, I know you addressed some things I did, altho a differing view which I appreciate, but I wanna address some of thigns, I apologize in advance if it gets lengthy, tl;dr. I wont quote it, so ill go in order of your post.

Youre right it wasnt about any one player, but thats what we as fans do, deconstruct the team and try the flesh out the weaknesses and address them. I could cite numerous things, in general terms I think Reims overachieved, irregardless how anyone felt he played the last few mins. He had the same save% as Tuukka, but because his defense was much worse, and they gave up more shots, his GAA is lower.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQymb34ZHI[/youtube]

Who was Phaneuf covering on that play? Gunnar was caught between Jagr on the circle, and Lucic infront. Id prefer Reims give up no rebound, but there was literally no one near Lucic for the tap in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ecqbRD5rs[/youtube]

FO win, pull it back so they can pull the goalie, rush up ice, into the cycle game, to the point and Chara screening Reims. Look at Phaneuf that whole play, one bump, then shoved away while they score, he did nothing. Kule, Chara, Phaneuf, Gunnar, and I couldnt make out the other Bruins player crossing/screening. No rebound, because like alot in that period, he dropped butterfly and hoped it would hit him, because he wasnt seeing the puck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGXAd38lojU[/youtube]

FO win, keep it in the zone, cycle, a guy at the top of the circle gets a one timer (absurdly bad coverage), Seguin gets to the rebound first because Gards tries to hit his stick, manages to get the rebound, and passes to an in stride Bergeron coming in on an out of position Reims, game over. What was Grabo doing? Where was Franson going? Gards gave it away.

It was a tonne of bad luck, but winning just one of the final 7 FOs (im pretty sure I read/heard they lost the last 7, cant confirm tho) would have resulted in more time ticked off, and more importantly, possession.

So lets take that game out of the equation.

I dont blame Phaneuf for that game (altho he deserves alot), or the one he took blame for. Thats who he is, were both in agreement. Except for me personally, when you have Gards/JML/Reilly/Franson/Phaneuf none of these guys are shut down players, maybe Gunnar can become closer when he fixes that hip this offseason (ive been reading all season he was supposed to be out for games, and played through). So like Rudy Gay, if youre going to allocate that much $$ (6.5m) to a number 1 defenseman who cant shut down/clear out front (your biggest need) I think hes the candidate to be replaced most (obv if a deal is good, etc..). Thats not a player comparison, so please dont address that minutiae, was just sayin. Also I acknowledge he wont be traded, just my opinion. Ideally id like to get rid of Liles 4mil too.

_______/Gards
Gunnar/Franson
JML/Fraser (Holzer/Blacker/Finn/Ranger/etc.. so many very good D on the Marlies/system). Please god, no more Kostka.

I love Lupul, but he is streaky, and wasnt really there much the last 2 games. Hes def a keeper tho, and an elder statesman on this team.

Now heres our biggest difference, Reimer. Ive been a fan of his since the A, and wrote in 09 how I loved his game for the Marlboros. So lets go look at his stats prior to being with the Leafs.
He was good with Red Deer, I remember talking to a friend about him after the Leafs drafted him, and he said he could pan out. .913 avg save%, in the WHL a notorious high scoring league back then. He didnt look too good in their playoff year. Good enough to get an invite to team Canada Juniors.

ill skip his ECHL/first Marlies experience, as he didnt perform that bad it just wasnt noteworthy either way. He was MVP of the ECHL playoffs his only year, I guess thats noteworthy.

So 09-11 he played for the Marlboros, I saw, I want to say 3 games and he stole the show. First year (.925SV%/2.25GGA) he was good, gettin like 29+ shots a game against. Next year (.920/2.57), on 30+ shots. He played great for team Canada in the IIHF.

Look at his pro numbers, solid. Take out the sophomore season because of this..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQXQQ38jFE[/youtube]

He started 4-0-1, remember coming off a hot rookie year. So this year he comes back strong, 8th in SV%, 6th in ShutOuts, 9th in Goalie Point Shares (advanced metric). Outplayed his counterpart (Rask) this series, who by most analysts would say, has a better defense in front of him and the better team. Did I mention hes a year younger than Rask, a 24 yr old goalie on this team should be embraced not replaced. We dont want to have a Phi/Bobrovsky situation, the guys a Vezina candidate (and probable winner) this year.

I agree Reimer does need help of playing the puck, he looked absolutely lost on the puck, but fortunately so have alot of good goaltenders, its just everyone is compared to Brodeur (the greatest puck handler/goalie of our generation). And luckily its something I think that can be taught and improved over time.

Sorry again, hope you made it through that novel man, take care.

As for your Youtube examples of breakdowns, I guess my point is those breakdowns are happening all the time. Just that in these playoffs they weren't leading to goal. Bruins would miss the net so often, or Reimer would make a great save. Our bad luck is a couple of those blunders bit us at the end.

With respect to Reimer, let's just say I hope you're right, because I'm not sure there's a viable replacement. But he needs to improve and become a sort of leader, where he saves our bumbling D, rather than everyone being surprised he comes through. Jake Gardiner for a full year will result in a lot of turnovers, lol.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#425 » by J-Roc » Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

J Dilla wrote:
The only thing that could have been worse is if this Game 7 was at the ACC instead. But that's what next year is for. We'll have a fantastic regular season, people will get excited, and we'll lose in the first round in Game 7 at home after giving up a 6 goal lead.

I've casually followed the leafs since the lockout in 2005, and what I've noticed is this team starts of **** but ends on a good note to increase optimism for next season.

For the past 2 seasons though this team starts of nicely but collapses in the end. This was a shortened season and what we saw in the playoffs was their usual mid season collapse. If we didn't have a 40 game season there's no way in blue hell this team was going to make the playoffs. I don't think they're making it next year.

I'm quite surprised with the reaction of the puckheads in this city after the collapse. It's like they are drugged to support this team blindly when they need a full and complete rebuild.

From what I gather, you're a basketball fan and don't follow hockey. The best way I can explain the Leafs is they have just enough talent to be like an Atlanta Hawks. So making the playoffs is not that much of a surprise. At the same time, an injury or two, or poor play from an unproven goalie, could take them out of the top 8. But it's wrong to think they're like a Raptor team with no talent. Kessel, Lupul, Van Reimsdyk, these guys are legit. And their young guy Kadri turned the corner this year like DeMar. And just like DeMar, we now see if he takes another step to all-star level, or if he's just another talented player on the ice like Grabovski. If he's real, then we certainly have enough talent to be a playoff team through 82 games.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#426 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed May 15, 2013 3:23 pm

J Dilla wrote:

Rebuild? Ridiculous.

For starters, this team was the 4th youngest in the NHL, 2nd youngest in the playoffs, that might be why they are optimistic. Or it might be that our best defensive player is playing on the Marlboros right now, Reilly. Or it might be..
Using just playoff players this season, 26 or under (as of Feb 1 2013, re: HockeyDB).
Gards/Franson/Frattin/Kessel/JVR/Bozak/Fraser/Gunnar/Kadri/Kule/Trollmorov/McLaren/Reimer/Colborne.
Add a year, Hamilton/Kostka/Phaneuf/Mac. Thats 18 players.

The last 4 years have been Burke overhauling the roster, this year we started bearing the fruits of his labor, thus the ups and downs. I dont think (without looking) theres one guy on this roster who played during the JFJ regime. He drafted some players but no one is still left from the Leafs roster. Thank god for his draft pick of Reims tho, listen to this list of goalies the last 7 years. Raycroft/Gerber/Toskalol/Clemmenson/Pogge/Aubin/Tellqvist/McDonald/Giguere/Monster/Old CuJo, alot of mediocrity and worse.

This team is to be embraced, and watch it grow. And its not limited because of its depth in the Marlies, combined with alot of desirable assets should they want to move and get a "big piece".
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#427 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 pm

J-Roc wrote:As for your Youtube examples of breakdowns, I guess my point is those breakdowns are happening all the time. Just that in these playoffs they weren't leading to goal. Bruins would miss the net so often, or Reimer would make a great save. Our bad luck is a couple of those blunders bit us at the end.

With respect to Reimer, let's just say I hope you're right, because I'm not sure there's a viable replacement. But he needs to improve and become a sort of leader, where he saves our bumbling D, rather than everyone being surprised he comes through. Jake Gardiner for a full year will result in a lot of turnovers, lol.

As I noted above, its a young team. Thats not an excuse though, because this team led the NHL in giveaways this year by 45 over 2nd. This is definately something they have to improve on. Infact if you dont want to narrow it down to players, that flaw alone (turnovers, and possibly lost FOs) lost us the series, I agree. The thing is, it was the veterans too OByrne/Phaneuf/Grabo/Liles/etc.. but I really like coach Carlyle and think this is something he can address and improve on. I mean they drastically overhauled the PK, made us great at transition to help our scorers, tightened up the D late in games (they had a crazy record when leading after 3, 20-2-1), this series aside.

Jake can turn it over all he wants if he plays like he did in this series, the kid was our best defenseman the last 2-3 games. More to your point, no matter who comes in they are going to be subjected to alot of shots, they were fourth in the league giving them up. But Randys system pushes them to the outside shots, and has his 4-5 collapse on net (something they didnt do late in game 7 too), so im not too concerned with volume. Trust me, dont worry about Reims, great kid mentally hes a beaut. He'll clean up some rebounds, hopefully improve glove side, and we will be set, I even like Owuya (think he could turn out) and Scrivies.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#428 » by Brew666 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm on the same page as vvvv. No need for a rebuild or anything like that, they have some good young pieces and it's up to the FO to surround them with the right pieces.

I'm completely comfortable w/ Reims in net as the #1 moving forward. Like it's been mentioned, he needs some work handling the puck, rebounding and his glove but every goalie has problems. Scrivens was a bit too inconsistent for me so I'd like to see a vet backup for Reimer. Reimer stepped up his game in the playoffs and that's definitely a good sign.

On D, they gotta resign Gunnarsson and Franson (can`t let assets like that walk for nothing) and personally I like Fraser as a 6th/7th man. I'm not sure of the precedence of sign and trades in the NHL but our D is a bit heavy on offensive minded d men and not enough stay at home types. So I`d like to see Nonis address this somehow. There wasn't many names that stood out to me on the FA list so maybe trade route will the best option. All of our D should be available except for Gardiner and Rielly. I'm surprised people are slagging Gardiner. His skating his next level and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He's still learning the game and in a year or two I don't think people are going to be questioning his ability. I'm excited to see what Rielly brings but I don't think he should be handed a spot on the team, which I doubt he will be anyhow.

I think the forwards could use a bit of tinkering around with and with the cap space available there's potential for a significant upgrade. It seems like we have a lot of players at a similar level and it'd be nice to upgrade if we can. I'm on the fence about Bozak and would take him back at a reasonable price. That said we can't move forward w/ our current centres b/c they can't win draws. We have a slew of wingers and the crop on the market this summer should be fairly deep too.

There will be a few players to watch in the minors (Finn, Sparks) next year and it's also a deep draft this year so we should be able to add another piece.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#429 » by Crowned » Mon May 20, 2013 1:39 am

Regarding goaltending again, we have yet to truly see what Reimer has. He hasn't played more than 37 games in a season (his rookie year), and has a shade over 100 games of NHL experience. Considering how well he played for an inexperienced goaltender, he's the last of our worries.

Think of it like this, would you rather;
1. Trade assets, and acquire a goaltender (i.e- Luongo). Keep in mind, we'll be paying that increased salary.
2. Keep the salary and assets used on said goaltender and address other areas of weakness. Those assets and increased salary could potentially be used towards a #1 center.

...all for what? A marginal upgrade?

Moves like that is exactly what was wrong with the team in years past. We simply don't need to address that area on our roster.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs