Leafs acquire Dave Bolland

Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Re: Leafs acquire Dave Bolland 

Post#21 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 3, 2013 2:11 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Frolik's upside is as a 2nd liner... on the Jets.

I'm fine with the three picks for Bolland. We were one of the youngest teams in the league with plenty of good talent in the pipeline. We scored the 6th most goals in the league last year. Their top 6 forwards are pretty potent. Improving a disastrous D corps should be priority #1.

please...don't fall into the trap of quoting stats from a lock-out season. you can't judge that book by its cover. fools gold in some areas.

for example: the capitals/ovie. how would you rate them? they were all over the place. why were they? who the hells knows. when you play 40 games and don't have a training camp, you get these weird results.

good talent in the pipeline. that is a lie, my friend. place name this talent. Reiley? i give you that. Gardiner? so good that he couldn't make the line-up during the regular season. why didn't the coach have faith in him? i dig Gardiner, but I wouldn't put too much faith in him. Kadri? sure. maybe. hopefully. who knows.

http://www.marlies.ca/team/

please, point to the forwards on the Marlies and tell me who will be playing in the bigs? and 4th line doesn't count. my answer? likely no one.

and if you want to use the Jets comparison, sure. why not.
Jets 1st line was the top 1st line last year. most points. arguably, their 1st line was deeper than the leafs' 1st line. in a lock-out season.
Jets will have Scheifele likely being the 2nd line centre with Kane and Frolik. the Leafs will have...Kuleimin with grabovski and....? be still my trembling heart!

give the leafs kudos for having 2 great players on their 1st line, an up-and-coming kadri and possibly a really good goalie (to be determined). oh, and a really good coach. but don't call them offensively talented or deep in the pipeline.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#22 » by Crowned » Wed Jul 3, 2013 4:16 am

I like it.

Bolland brings intangibles to this team that were sorely lacking in the playoffs. There's almost no risk with this one. I'm sure if the Leafs are out of a playoff hunt come playoff time, or if they feel he won't re-sign, they're more than likely going to receive a 2nd rounder as compensation for him as a return.
JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#23 » by JDP » Wed Jul 3, 2013 9:10 pm

Great trade two time Stanley cup winner who should easily be slotted into third line and penalty killing duties. Bolland could probably even play in the top 6 if needed look at the guys stats in Junior he lit it up on the Knights. Essentially what I think this trade means is that Bozak is gone and we run with Kadri as the no 1 with Bolland freeing up Grabovski on defensive duties.
Toni
Junior
And1: 246

Post#24 » by Toni » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

In reply to JDP, Bozak was resigned and will play on the top line with Lupul and Kessel. Kadri should center the second line between JVR and Clarkson. Bolland with probably be between Colborne and Kulemin for a big checking line, assuming McClement will play with the fighters (Orr/McLaren) on the fourth line.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#25 » by Mohanad » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 am

YogiStewart wrote:if the leafs were looking to go deep in the playoffs, it is worth it.

Isn't that the point? if he stays healthy, toronto is going to love bolly. boy is a plumber. Two way hockey, gritty player, knows what it takes to win...goes to the damn net. he's a guy you wanted on the ice in game 7

p.s mcclment finished 6th in the selke voting. he even got 4 1st place votes one of which is guaranteed to be Pierre Lebrun as he outlined an article why he felt McClement deserved the Selke.

good defensive forward with offensive ability. been an absolute beast on the PK and has even took on and shut down top pairings

Based on the fact that McClement played the most penalty killing minutes among any NHL player and helped the Leafs penalty killing improve from 29th overall to 2nd overall, I didn't think he would have got that many votes because he doesn't have the name hype like Towes, Bergeron, and Datysuk. So I'm surprised in a good way that he finished 6th in the voting

you need these boys on your hockey club.

YogiStewart wrote:there are those (i.e. me) out there who think last year's success was a bit of a mirage.

lol what mirage? they're only going to get better. can't wait for biggs and Colbourne to get on that checking line. Riley is going to be an absolute stud and **** anyone who wanted to give up on a 22 year old prospect (Kardi) that was never given a fair shake in the NHL. Kessel has been a consistent 30 goal scorer since he's arrived, mixed in with Lupul, JVR, Kadri, and Clarkson and you have a group of two way forwards that can score and play a 200 ft game. these bruisers are going to be a formidable playoff team.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs