ImageImageImage

Leafs 2013-14 Regular Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Re: Leafs 2013-14 Regular Season Thread 

Post#281 » by Ado05 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:28 pm

I doubt we can we trade for a legit 1C. But we can draft one. This draft has Bennet and Reinhart in it, both very solid centers. If we could make a trade with Edmonton, sending them some help on D plus our first, so we can get theirs, it would be worth it. Right now, they have the third overall pick, which is perfect. I assume Buffalo will take one of Bennett or Reinhart, and Florida doesnt need centres right now (they have Barkov and Huberdeau), so I assume they'll take Ekblad. Last thing Edmonton needs is another forward, so it could work out perfectly for us.

Its a pipe dream, plus we need to see how the lottery works out, but still something that could happen.
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#282 » by godkingleonidas » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:26 am

Any chance any of these people loses their job? → http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42119

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#283 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:58 pm

I can't imagine there isn't an absolute and total housecleaning this summer.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#284 » by whysoserious » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:28 pm

I expect Carlyle to take the fall for this mess of a season. Even though they've won more since he took over, they still have the same defensive problems they had when Wilson was here.

Even though there's some solid core pieces, they've done a horrible job managing there cap, don't have enough high end talent to win now and don't have a ton of high end prospects coming to fill that role so while Nonis is still early in the job since taking over for Burke, if I was TL, I'd completely clean house.

It's a rare opportunity that he'll have and I don't want him making the decisions going forward.

I'd target Babcock as the Head Coach (believe his contract is up) but I'm not sure why he'd leave Detroit. Still, if someones gonna sell it it's TL so go big after him. As for the GM spot, I'm not sure who I'd trust with it, some of the good minds like Yzerman and Sakic have landed jobs and I'm not sure of the retreads out there whether they can fix it.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#285 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:47 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/9/5596542/toronto-maple-leafs-collapse-2013-2014

Pretty harsh breakdown here that points to the day Carlyle was hired as the beginning of the slide to giving up too many shots. He HAS to go. I still hate Phaneuf as our captain, but it's the men who put him in a position to fail that deserve the blame. Leweike stupidly gave Nonis that extension before anything was settled, so you know he's not going anywhere. I'd say the moves he made weren't that costly, but the attitude he conveyed was terrible.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#286 » by whysoserious » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:40 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/9/5596542/toronto-maple-leafs-collapse-2013-2014

Pretty harsh breakdown here that points to the day Carlyle was hired as the beginning of the slide to giving up too many shots. He HAS to go. I still hate Phaneuf as our captain, but it's the men who put him in a position to fail that deserve the blame. Leweike stupidly gave Nonis that extension before anything was settled, so you know he's not going anywhere. I'd say the moves he made weren't that costly, but the attitude he conveyed was terrible.

Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf extensions and Clarkson signing aren't that costly? That's one solid signing out of 4 major extensions that locked in this team.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#287 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:09 pm

whysoserious wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/9/5596542/toronto-maple-leafs-collapse-2013-2014

Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf extensions and Clarkson signing aren't that costly? That's one solid signing out of 4 major extensions that locked in this team.

I think the Bozak and Kessel signings were fine. Phaneuf's deal isn't hurting them now, it's just that they've put him in a bad position. Clarkson over Grabovski looks like a huge mistake. It's pretty clear in that link that Randy's system sucks and relied on stalwart goaltending to get them even on the bubble.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#288 » by whysoserious » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:14 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I think the Bozak and Kessel signings were fine. Phaneuf's deal isn't hurting them now, it's just that they've put him in a bad position. Clarkson over Grabovski looks like a huge mistake. It's pretty clear in that link that Randy's system sucks and relied on stalwart goaltending to get them even on the bubble.

Honestly, I don't hate Bozak the player, I hate the length and amount they gave him. Is it the worse signing in the world? No, but it's a sign of poor management of the cap. A player like Bozak is the kind of player you want to sign for value, not overpay. If you had some elite prospects on rookie deals coming it's not so bad. Unfortunately the Leafs don't.

Phaneuf's deal is going to hurt after this season though in combination with those other signings. Honestly, the Leafs don't have the stones to walk away from players. They got hyped up from last year's mini-playoff run without actually assessing if the team was on the rise. I would have let Bozak walk if anything more than 3 years and 4 million. I would have let Phaneuf hit free agency. If someone else wants to pay him big money, go ahead. If he sits on the market and wants to come back, then you bring the price down.

The Leafs simply don't have enough elite game-changers and don't even get started on Clarkson's deal. Either way, there needs to be dramatic shift. I think a new coach will get more out of this group, but it's still not a team with high potential regardless.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#289 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:03 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Honestly, I don't hate Bozak the player, I hate the length and amount they gave him. Is it the worse signing in the world? No, but it's a sign of poor management of the cap. A player like Bozak is the kind of player you want to sign for value, not overpay. If you had some elite prospects on rookie deals coming it's not so bad. Unfortunately the Leafs don't.

Disagree here. He's great friends with Kessel and he plays at a level that a $4million/year centre plays. He earns his keep. I think people view him as unsuitable for Phil as a linemate, and maybe he's not a dominant C, but that's still one of the best lines in hockey.

Phaneuf's deal is going to hurt after this season though in combination with those other signings. Honestly, the Leafs don't have the stones to walk away from players. They got hyped up from last year's mini-playoff run without actually assessing if the team was on the rise. I would have let Bozak walk if anything more than 3 years and 4 million. I would have let Phaneuf hit free agency. If someone else wants to pay him big money, go ahead. If he sits on the market and wants to come back, then you bring the price down.

I thin the problem was always that they put too much faith in Dion and not enough in their other D men. That gave them the insecurity to look elsewhere. That being said, he was pretty good this year and helps the team. They just need to cut his minutes.

The Leafs simply don't have enough elite game-changers and don't even get started on Clarkson's deal. Either way, there needs to be dramatic shift. I think a new coach will get more out of this group, but it's still not a team with high potential regardless.

Can't agree with you here. One of five teams to have two 30 goal scorers. They have game changers and star talent. They have great goaltending. They have solid defensemen. The second line wasn't great. Kadri took a step back. Lupul was hurt a lot. The system left them without the puck.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#290 » by Crowned » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
whysoserious wrote:

I think the Bozak and Kessel signings were fine. Phaneuf's deal isn't hurting them now, it's just that they've put him in a bad position. Clarkson over Grabovski looks like a huge mistake. It's pretty clear in that link that Randy's system sucks and relied on stalwart goaltending to get them even on the bubble.

Grabovski has had a roller coaster of a year in Washington. He had a hot start, but has recorded 5 points since the beginning of December (was out for almost 2 months as well). He's been on the hot seat in Washington for his lackluster play lately. We're not missing out, trust me.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#291 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 am

Crowned wrote:
Grabovski has had a roller coaster of a year in Washington. He had a hot start, but has recorded 5 points since the beginning of December (was out for almost 2 months as well). He's been on the hot seat in Washington for his lackluster play lately. We're not missing out, trust me.

I'll still take his 35 pts in 55 games over Clarkson's 11 in 58. We're in the playoffs if Grabbo stayed and Clarkson never happened.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#292 » by Mohanad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:38 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Crowned wrote:

I'll still take his 35 pts in 55 games over Clarkson's 11 in 58. We're in the playoffs if Grabbo stayed and Clarkson never happened.

I agree with you on all fronts that we would have been better off paying out Grabo for 4 years /w 5.5 cap hit rather than 7 years of Clarkson (ugh) at 5.25 mill.

But would we have made the playoffs? Grabbo recorded 1 goal in the last 19 regular season games for the Leafs and only had 2 pts and was a -10 in the playoffs last season.

On a side note..

For the life of me i'll never get why we used our compliance buyout on Komisarek (who was expiring) and not on Liles who had 3 seasons left. The turn over? Now paying Clarkson and Gleason a combined 9.25 mill for another two seasons. Just terrible cap management. We were only paying Komi 750k (expiring) more than Liles (3 years)

How are our goons looking? We're going to be paying Colton Orr and Clarkson a combined 6.1 mill next year for **** sakes.

Our cap situation is just infuriating
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#293 » by Southward1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Shanahan to be named President...tim leiweke doesn't **** around...
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#294 » by LLJ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm

I don't know why Nonis isn't the first one on the hotseat. Why is the media making excuses for him? Sometimes I question the hockey IQ in this city that purports to be so hockey savvy. Carlyle has been bad with the defensive system, but he at least had this team poised to make it to round 2 last year.

The only thing Nonis has done since Burke was fired is destroy our cap space with bad contracts.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#295 » by Ado05 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:28 pm

He's done one bad thing, and thats the Clarkson contract. He's not going to be as bad as he was this year. Phaneuf deal is arguable, but he's essential to out team. Cap will go up in the coming years, not a big deal.

He's done just as much good as he has bad.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#296 » by Ado05 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Mohanad wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Crowned wrote:

On a side note..

For the life of me i'll never get why we used our compliance buyout on Komisarek (who was expiring) and not on Liles who had 3 seasons left. The turn over? Now paying Clarkson and Gleason a combined 9.25 mill for another two seasons. Just terrible cap management. We were only paying Komi 750k (expiring) more than Liles (3 years)

How are our goons looking? We're going to be paying Colton Orr and Clarkson a combined 6.1 mill next year for **** sakes.

Our cap situation is just infuriating

It may not have been the smart, but it was the classy thing to do. He didnt want to be here, we didnt want him here and theres no point sticking him in the minors when he can be in the NHL with another team.

Gleason has been a beast. Easily our most steady d-man. Rarely makes mistakes, and he's a physical presence out there. Happy to have him in the top 4.

Colton Orr is overpaid. Its whatever though, because he can burried in the minors where 900K of his salary is eaten.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#297 » by Ado05 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:37 pm

What i think is going to happen is a new coach and someone from the core being traded. Three straight years where there was a collapse. This is on the players.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#298 » by LLJ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:38 pm

I'll give Nonis the Bernier trade as being good.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#299 » by Ado05 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Kessel extension was good, too.

But this offseason will dictate if he really is a good GM. There has to be changes. Will be interesting to see how he does.

And hopefully the Leafs keep losing. Want a higher DP.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#300 » by LLJ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:48 pm

We're like in year 1 of Kessel's 8 year extension. Let's just wait until year 4 before we judge that.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs