ImageImageImage

Reimer's Trade Value

Moderator: Crowned

UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Reimer's Trade Value 

Post#1 » by UN-Owen » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:16 pm

All things being equal between our goaltenders, I'm guessing Reimer is the asset they'll cash in before the trade deadline

I say this because it's probably not in the team's best interest come playoff time to have an asset as valuable as a #1 goaltender just sitting on the bench

So which teams might make good trading partners?

And what type of deal would you look for as the Leafs' GM?
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Re: Reimer's Trade Value 

Post#2 » by Mohanad » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:18 pm

it's really tough to say

Other than the year Reimer was hurt (concussion), he's put up very good numbers. His only downfall has been that he hasn't had the chance to start more than 40 games in a season. All Reimer needs this season is to be healthy and the chance to show what he can do over a full season. If he does, his value goes up.

Bernier looked impressive in LA and was traded for a 3rd liner, a back up goalie, and a second.

Reimer is only making 1.8 million and is a RFA by seasons end. With the team being pressed up against the cap and have key players up for FA it's unlikely they take back a big contract for him.

At the moment I'd rather not be quick to give up on Riemer without not really knowing what Bernier is capable of as a NO.1 goalie.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#3 » by UN-Owen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:53 am

I'm guessing Bernier hasn't been made the clear #1 yet because they're trying to maintain Reimer's trade value

Seems inevitable though
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#4 » by YogiStewart » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 pm

this is another FAIL area of Nonis. no need for goaltending depth like this. even if Reimer's worth a 2nd round pick (which he's probably worth, plus a 5th rounder), you cash in. that's how you manage assets ESPECIALLY when you're team's pressed right up against the cap.
not sure what Nonis is thinking.

on the flip side, look through NHL team rosters. other than Luongo being injured for 1-2 weeks, do you see any teams needing a starting or a very solid back-up goaltender?

goaltending's not what it used to be, play-wise or dollar-wise. i've had this discussion with a stats guy. the lowest per-dollar return you get from a positional player is for a goaltender. a $2 million goaltender is not going to give you that much of an advantage over a $7 mil goaltender. you're talking about a GAA of less than 1. your team is likely winning by more than 1 goal if it is a winning team. a high-end goaltender maybe squeaks out a few more wins during the regular season. now, the playoffs may be a different story, but we've seen hot goalies (Halak) and non-hot goalies (Price) make and break teams. again, there's no correlation between salary and goaltending.

so does Reimer have trade value? not much, to be honest. and unless salary's going back to the Leafs, not sure what they can get back. i thought Winnipeg could make a move and go for Reimer and contemplate buying out Pavelec. but the Jets are out of the playoff chase and Reimer becomes LESS valuable as every day goes by. i wouldn't be shocked if an off-season move involved the Jets signing Reimer or Scrivens. so remind me why they'd trade for Reimer pre-deadline and give up a mid-round draft pick, especially when their drafting's been top tier since their move to Winnipeg?

go through the list of teams and you'll see how badly Nonis screwed this up. draft picks are coveted by some teams more than others. Nonis is kind of showing that they're poker chips, not stashable assets.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#5 » by whysoserious » Thu Jan 9, 2014 2:02 pm

Before they signed Phaneuf, I would have tried to package him, along with Reimer to Edmonton. They need to shore up their defense and goaltending and both would address it.

A blockbuster deal was there to be had that likely would have benefitted both teams but now that Phaneuf is signed it's highly unlikely he's moved.

Reimer being moved now still makes sense. Teams to target are probably Edmonton, Calgary, Philly (I'd take Brayden Schenn if they'd move him), Islanders. There's probably more teams though that could use Reimer.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#6 » by UN-Owen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

whysoserious wrote:Before they signed Phaneuf, I would have tried to package him, along with Reimer to Edmonton. They need to shore up their defense and goaltending and both would address it.

A blockbuster deal was there to be had that likely would have benefitted both teams but now that Phaneuf is signed it's highly unlikely he's moved.

Reimer being moved now still makes sense. Teams to target are probably Edmonton, Calgary, Philly (I'd take Brayden Schenn if they'd move him), Islanders. There's probably more teams though that could use Reimer.

Don't see Philly moving Schenn in a deal for Reimer

Nor would the Islanders move Tavares, but I do wonder if the Leafs could put together a tempting offer

Reimer, Kadri, Gardiner plus multiple picks for Tavares?

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs