ImageImageImage

OT: Leafs Hire Mike Babcock as HC 8yr/50M

Moderator: Crowned

s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Re: OT: Leafs Hire Mike Babcock as HC 8yr/50M 

Post#141 » by s e n s i » Wed May 20, 2015 10:31 pm

leafs could trade for prime gretzky for 10 cents on the dollar and leafs haters would try and spin it into a negative
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#142 » by Asif16 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Rhyno wrote:He's also the best player compared to the entire roster. Way to go, Shanahan. :noway:

A coach can only take a team so far. Phil Jackson without Jordan, Shaq and Kobe would be just another Jerry Sloan. What's the difference between the two? One has the star players, the other doesn't. The one with the stars wins, the other one doesn't.

You seriously think this is it? You really think the leafs are gonna have the same roster for the next 8 years. Its called rebuilding. Something they say they are going to do.

If they dont, well then they will continue to be a laughingstock.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#143 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Ivan Playoff wrote:See, MLSE isn't the problem. They will spend money.

See, MLSE is the problem. They will spend money on the maple leafs.

FYP.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#144 » by vaff87 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Nored wrote:And? Julien has only won the cup once, Boudreau hasnt even touched the finals, Hitchcock has only won once, AV hasnt won one yet, Laviolette has only won one cup.

I didn't mention Boudreau. But my point is people are acting like Babcock is so far and away superior to these guys, and it's completely ridiculous. He's a good coach, but he's not even close to being hands down the best coach in the league.

I have no idea how anyone can really judge a coach like this in a game with so many variables and no knowledge of what each coach actually does behind the scenes. I think a better point is that even if Babcock is the best coach in the NHL by a significant margin, I'm not sure how much of a difference that is going to make vs. other good coaches. Obviously it does make a huge difference for the Leafs though. At the same time, who gives a ****? Coaches aren't paid with salary cap money, right? The Leafs just signed a really good coach, no matter what number you want to rank him, and they only had to do it with a sackful out of their Scrooge McDuck sized vault of money.

You have people here comparing this guy to Gregg Popovich.

There are a number of reasons why I think throwing a pile of money at a coach at the wrong time can be a bad thing. The Leafs are really bad. If this guy doesn't have the team turned around in two years people are going to get impatient. Ownership will make short sighted moves, etc. Any number of bad things can happen. Expectations are immediately raised with this guy in town, and he's just not capable of fulfilling them with the crap on this roster.
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#145 » by kidr1211 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Ivan Playoff wrote:See, MLSE isn't the problem. They will spend money.

See, MLSE is the problem. They will spend money on the maple leafs.

FYP.

Nah MLSE is willing to spend money on their teams. Look at TFC. They gave MU big $ too
Asif16
RealGM

Post#146 » by Asif16 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Babcock had a roster better than any they've had for the first half of his tenure in Detroit, and only won one cup.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep grasping for straws man.

I'm not. You're a clear and total homer, like Leafs fans are known to be.

I suppose Mike Babcock's brilliant coaching enabled J.S. Giguere to play like Patrick Roy and lead the Ducks to the finals too, eh?

Lmao far from a homer buddy. I criticize the leafs more than anyone when they pull dumb ****. They have been a laughingstock for years now. Im not afraid to say it.

Face it. You're a clear and total hater, like leaf haters are supposed to be.

Every well known hockey analyst is saying that Mike babcock could very well be a Top 3 coach if not THE BEST coach in the league, you expect me to sit here and listen to a Realgm poster why there a dozen other coaches who are better if not similar?? :lol: :lol: You think any other coach would have garnered this much attention? Hell no. Why? Because the attention is well earned.

Oh, and J.S Giguere didnt single handidly take ducks to finals, a well coached team did its part too. Guess you didnt care about that.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#147 » by G R E Y » Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm

:o Well holy ****! I'm so STOKED!!! This is the best news in Leafland since we got the Pats - Burns and Quinn. Only better. Hope and excitement. These are feelings I haven't felt for years with respect to the Leafs. It's a great day, man. GREAT day.

Way to go, Shanny!!!

Welcome to Toronto, Mike!!!

:rockon:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Rhyno
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#148 » by Rhyno » Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Asif16 wrote:
Rhyno wrote:He's also the best player compared to the entire roster. Way to go, Shanahan. :noway:

A coach can only take a team so far. Phil Jackson without Jordan, Shaq and Kobe would be just another Jerry Sloan. What's the difference between the two? One has the star players, the other doesn't. The one with the stars wins, the other one doesn't.

You seriously think this is it? You really think the leafs are gonna have the same roster for the next 8 years. Its called rebuilding. Something they say they are going to do.

They've practically had the same roster for the past 10 years. I don't know what you're talking about. Can you tell me any difference since 2005 the teams that the Leafs have put out on the ice?

Missing the playoffs consistently and finishing in 10th-12th place in the East almost every year.
"I mean, you can't -- you guys are like rerun stories. This is just -- this is old stuff. I mean, it's like watching Sanford and Son, you know, you just, rerun after rerun after rerun". --Barry Bonds on the Sports Media
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#149 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed May 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Hard to get excited for this.

Usually you get a name coach to put you over the top, not to tear down the team.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#150 » by vaff87 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:41 pm

s e n s i wrote:leafs could trade for prime gretzky for 10 cents on the dollar and leafs haters would try and spin it into a negative

Honestly, when is the last time the Leafs actually did something right to know if haters would criticize it? This move is TBD.
Asif16
RealGM

Post#151 » by Asif16 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:42 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
I didn't mention Boudreau. But my point is people are acting like Babcock is so far and away superior to these guys, and it's completely ridiculous. He's a good coach, but he's not even close to being hands down the best coach in the league.

I have no idea how anyone can really judge a coach like this in a game with so many variables and no knowledge of what each coach actually does behind the scenes. I think a better point is that even if Babcock is the best coach in the NHL by a significant margin, I'm not sure how much of a difference that is going to make vs. other good coaches. Obviously it does make a huge difference for the Leafs though. At the same time, who gives a ****? Coaches aren't paid with salary cap money, right? The Leafs just signed a really good coach, no matter what number you want to rank him, and they only had to do it with a sackful out of their Scrooge McDuck sized vault of money.

You have people here comparing this guy to Gregg Popovich.

There are a number of reasons why I think throwing a pile of money at a coach at the wrong time can be a bad thing. The Leafs are really bad. If this guy doesn't have the team turned around in two years people are going to get impatient. Ownership will make short sighted moves, etc. Any number of bad things can happen. Expectations are immediately raised with this guy in town, and he's just not capable of fulfilling them with the crap on this roster.

Lol stop getting your panties in a knot over the popovich comparisons for gods sake.

Leafs gave him a 8 year deal with the first 3 years set to be FRONT LOADED. Why? Because they know that they are going to be bad and a proper rebuild needs to happen.

You really think ownership expect babcock to make the playoffs next year? And do you really think this crap roster is going to be our roster for the next 8 years??
Asif16
RealGM

Post#152 » by Asif16 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Rhyno wrote:
Asif16 wrote:

They've practically had the same roster for the past 10 years. I don't know what you're talking about. Can you tell me any difference since 2005 the teams that the Leafs have put out on the ice?

Missing the playoffs consistently and finishing in 10th-12th place in the East almost every year.

How can they have the same roster for the last 10 years? I dont understand. Are you implying that if with different rosters, they still have been trash? Then yes i agree.

But now they have stated they will properly rebuild this trainwreck. And missing the playoffs consistently, is the reason they brought in Babcock hoping that they can be constant playoff threat in the not too distant future.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#153 » by vaff87 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Asif16 wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep grasping for straws man.

I'm not. You're a clear and total homer, like Leafs fans are known to be.

I suppose Mike Babcock's brilliant coaching enabled J.S. Giguere to play like Patrick Roy and lead the Ducks to the finals too, eh?

Lmao far from a homer buddy. I criticize the leafs more than anyone when they pull dumb ****. They have been a laughingstock for years now. Im not afraid to say it.

Face it. You're a clear and total hater, like leaf haters are supposed to be.

Every well known hockey analyst is saying that Mike babcock could very well be a Top 3 coach if not THE BEST coach in the league, you expect me to sit here and listen to a Realgm poster why there a dozen other coaches who are better if not similar?? :lol: :lol: You think any other coach would have garnered this much attention? Hell no. Why? Because the attention is well earned.

Oh, and J.S Giguere didnt single handidly take ducks to finals, a well coached team did its part too. Guess you didnt care about that.

Mike Babcock is a top 5 quality coach. No one is saying he's not a good coach, but people like you are saying he's far and away the best, which is ridiculous.

I trust my friends who are Red Wings fans on this. They've watched more Red Wings games than you or any of those analysts.
simple_jack
General Manager
And1: 17,593

Post#154 » by simple_jack » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

As Leafs hater....

I'm actually excited about this move. I've always hated the Leafs and their fans but I've started to gain respect for them because even in their darkest stages fans still stick by them. Just like how I always stuck with the Raptors through the really really crappy years.

This city deserves SOMEONE to win and contend for a championship.

The only that wins Championships is the Argo's but we all know that doesn't have any significance.

Go Leafs Go
Swag
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#155 » by Swag » Wed May 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Aren't the Toronto Maple Leafs the New York Knicks of the NHL? Forever cursed.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#156 » by Truthrising » Wed May 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Way to go Shanahan! At least the Detroit connection was good for something! :rock:

Now that we have Babcock maybe Babcock can use that connection to pry Ken Holland from the Red Wings, I'm pretty sure they're still on good terms.

Holland be the perfect GM knowing that we would probably be picking closer the teens so we would need a GM that have had success in that range (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filpulla, Franzen...)
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#157 » by s e n s i » Wed May 20, 2015 10:55 pm

vaff87 wrote:
s e n s i wrote:leafs could trade for prime gretzky for 10 cents on the dollar and leafs haters would try and spin it into a negative

Honestly, when is the last time the Leafs actually did something right to know if haters would criticize it? This move is TBD.

uhhh trading david clarkson for nate horton? that was a terrific play to squirm out of that albatross and free up cap space. and wouldn't you know it, leafs haters laughed thinking the trade was done from the leafs perspective for horton's playing ability.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
vaff87
RealGM

Post#158 » by vaff87 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:58 pm

s e n s i wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

uhhh trading david clarkson for nate horton? that was a terrific play to squirm out of that albatross and free up cap space. and wouldn't you know it, leafs haters laughed thinking the trade was done from the leafs perspective for horton's playing ability.

It was a good move. David Clarkson was the worst signing since Ryan Howard!
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#159 » by Yosemite Dan » Wed May 20, 2015 10:59 pm

I haven't seen Leaf fans this excited since they hired Brian Burke.

How is this team supposed to get better with Babcock coaching now? How are they gonna tank if he's a good enough coach to prevent them from being in the bottom 5 year after year? You don't hire this type of coach when you are supposed to be rebuilding. Like someone said, this team will feel the pressure to make the playoffs, even next year, and will make short sighted moves to expediate the process. Burke did the exact same thing. You tank properly and get high draft picks by putting in a no name coach until the talent is there
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#160 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 20, 2015 11:01 pm

vaff87 wrote:You have people here comparing this guy to Gregg Popovich.

Pop's a hall of fame coach, but he isn't actually that great of an in game coach. He is very good at evaluating talent, and he is very good at incorporating good ideas into his offense and defensive sets (like when he grabbed a bunch of what D'Antoni did with the Suns). He is also very good at coaching a team with Tim Duncan on it.

Babcock is signed for 8 years at big money. The fans expectations aren't going to matter.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs