OT: Stamkos signs 8-year deal

Moderator: Crowned

baller16
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,546

OT: Stamkos signs 8-year deal 

Post#1 » by baller16 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:46 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealStamkos91/status/748262136925818880[/tweet]

The two-time Maurice Richard Trophy winner as the NHL’s leading goal scorer gave himself that opportunity Wednesday, re-signing with the Lightning for eight years and foregoing a chance to test free agency.

The team confirmed the agreement, which is worth $68 million, meaning the 26-year-old captain will earn an average of $8.5 million per season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/steven-stamkos-chooses-re-sign-tampa-bay-lightning/
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Re: OT: Stamkos signs 8-year deal 

Post#2 » by LLJ » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:06 pm

The only people in Toronto who are surprised are those who actually listen to the media here. Toronto has some of the worst sports media in North America.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#3 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:25 pm

LLJ wrote:The only people in Toronto who are surprised are those who actually listen to the media here. Toronto has some of the worst sports media in North America.

I think the Leafs had a legit shot at signing him and based on age he wouldn't impact the rebuilding process underway as much as going after 31 year old Free Agents like the Leafs used to do. This was the one guy worth taking a shot at. It didn't work out and you move on.

This team needs to tank for another year minimum to get a top 5 draft pick (preferably first obviously) and then really start to see what they have.

They need to play all of Matthews, Marner and Nylander with the big club this year and live with any struggles that come from it.

The real shock of the day were the two stupid trades made by Montreal and Edmonton. Neither got full value and Subban was vastly under appreciated by the habs organization.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#4 » by LLJ » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:35 pm

I agree Stamkos wouldn't have been a bad signing for our rebuild. But I never once got the feeling from Stamkos' camp he was seriously considering Toronto. It was based mostly on circumstantial things like over-reading veiled comments and tweets.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#5 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm sure Stamkos considered Toronto, but with the blood clots Toronto probably wasn't willing to give him that 8 year contract.

With the new management and the money this team can spend its fair to say the Leafs can get anybody they want. With Stamkos, people were having the same expectations as how this team convinced Babcock to join.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs