Moderator: Crowned

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

OT-Devils fire coach Julien 

Post#1 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:26 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=202500&hubname=

The playoff-bound Devils have fired head coach Claude Julien with less than a week to go in the regular season with the veteran GM Lamoriello taking over for the second straight season.

This is shocking news, second year in a row this has happened! I guess Lou isn't happy that Pittsburgh got back in the race and are fighting tooth and nail for the devision

But still I wasn't expecting this
Flagrant Foul
Rookie
And1: 32

Post#2 » by Flagrant Foul » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:31 pm

Lue Lamoriello is worse than Steinbrenner.
Looogie
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 210

Post#3 » by Looogie » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:54 pm

I read the headline on Yahoo! today and I thought to myself:

"Is Yahoo caching an old story or something?"

Headline was "NJ Devils Fire Coach, Lamoriello taking position"

So I clicked on it and was like wtf? This is new!

Wow
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#4 » by Osiris » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:16 pm

This was really shocking, and pretty pathetic when I thought about it.

All I could think of happening now was some guy emerging from the shadows in his office and saying "Lou, you've served us well - but your time is up." just as Lou begs and pleads before getting tapped twice in the temple.

At least I hope that's how it happens. God I can't stand to think of how he might ruin the game again for everyone.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:27 pm

Lou just said on a NJ radio station that Julien will stay in the organization but "If you knew what I knew then you would do the same thing too"

I just listened to this
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#6 » by Osiris » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:19 pm

Is he a drunk? An addict? Abusing players physically?

If he wanted to lower expectations about the club's performance going into the playoffs he could've fired him ages ago. This seems like a result of something occurring recently that would warrant such a drastic move - and if it were an illness they'd obviously say so (and wouldn't have "fired" him) - so he must have screwed up bad.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,573

Post#7 » by Mak » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:39 pm

Nobody should question Lue Lamoriello ever.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:07 pm

From his radio interview

Lou...

"When you are in my position you know things that other people don't and I have to make my decisions based on that.
I must live up to your responsibility to do what I think is necessary."

"This is not a problem that has just come in the last few games."

"I don't like the direction the team was going in...not ready for playoffs...too relaxed."

"The decision came down to what is right for the New Jersey Devils to have the best chance at success and you make
the move for that reason. It is not personal, it is my responsibility to make the moves that I think will do that."

"Julien will remain in the organization"

"I saw things nobody else did"

"The team was not in right frame of mind."

Courtesy of Hockeybuzz

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6547
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#9 » by The-Insider » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:31 pm

My dream as a Toronto Maple Leaf fan, is to see Lou Lamoriello take over as Gm, and President. I wish MLSE would do the same thing they did with BC, to LL. Mak is right, never question this man, and his reasoning. He is an amazing scout, amazing cap manager, not afraid to make bold moves, and wins championships. The equivalent of Billy Beane, Bryan Colangelo, Jerry West, Kevin Holland, etc.
Flagrant Foul
Rookie
And1: 32

Post#10 » by Flagrant Foul » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:54 am

The-Insider wrote:My dream as a Toronto Maple Leaf fan, is to see Lou Lamoriello take over as Gm, and President. I wish MLSE would do the same thing they did with BC, to LL. Mak is right, never question this man, and his reasoning. He is an amazing scout, amazing cap manager, not afraid to make bold moves, and wins championships. The equivalent of Billy Beane, Bryan Colangelo, Jerry West, Kevin Holland, etc.

Let's not forget that he has the best goalie in NHL History in goal. A lot of GM"s would have a bunch of winning seasons with Broduer between the pipes.
Looogie
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 210

Post#11 » by Looogie » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:04 am

they said on RSN that Brodeur couldn't stand Julien and Lou didn't want it to come to a "me or him" standoff, so he nipped it in the butt right away
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:45 am

There are a strong group of leaders on the NJ Devils. Players that have a very firm grasp and have done things a certain way for years now to great success. These players in the leadership core were not being allowed to do things the way they do things this year. They were growing frustrated...(I talked to three players today who aren't part of that core, but weren't surprised by the firing..)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6552

There's more if you wanna read on
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#13 » by The-Insider » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:02 am

Flagrant Foul wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Let's not forget that he has the best goalie in NHL History in goal. A lot of GM"s would have a bunch of winning seasons with Broduer between the pipes.

That's irrelevant though. A lot of coaches would have winning seasons with Michael Jordon, a lot of Gm's would have a bunch of winning seasons with Shaq. etc etc... That doesn't refute great coaching and GM skills. Where would the Devils franchise and Martin Brodeur even be without Lou? But let's not also forget his careful construction of Devils through the draft, trades, and free agent acquisitions led team to Stanley Cup Championships in the 2002-03, 1999-00, and 1994-95 seasons

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs