ImageImageImageImageImage

Why do Knicks fans overrate Chandler so much?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

albert
Veteran
And1: 45

Re: Why do Knicks fans overrate Chandler so much? 

Post#41 » by albert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:58 pm

gavran wrote:
blind_ wrote:Chandler is starting to remind me more and more of Dorrell Wright. Hopefully this is not the case. But I still see the ceiling on him as a Mo Peterson-type starter for good teams.

Dorell Wright? Seriously? He reminds you of a player who's best season is worse than Chandler's rookie season, and doesn't even play? Wow, this has to be the worst comparision I've seem so far.

Nope. Both are average defenders, above average athletically, and have a similar semblance of a jumpshot. The fact is that with Wright, it's a consensus that he'll never be able to translate his skill set to a viable NBA player and that's why he doesn't see minutes. (As well as injuries playing a factor as well)

I wouldn't hold my breath on Chandler turning into this 18/7 player.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,608

Post#42 » by Fat Kat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Paeds wrote:Poor Mans Granger

This is probably the best comparison. IMO, players that let the game come to them are invaluable. Wilson's not a superstar and will never be, but when we bring in a superstar he'll compliment them well. Very few guys can just take over a game, and the guys who can't but try are chuckers in the mold of Crawford. A good young 2-way player is what we have. That's a good thing.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#43 » by mjhp911 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:37 pm

NYKnick87 wrote:The truth of the matter is this.

Right now, we are a team without a true superstar or franchise player. Every young player with talent that we have is going to get hyped up no matter what. In Chandler's case, he has the physical tools to go along with a pretty good skillset. However, the majority of us do not think he will turn into a star player, but a very good player, nonetheless. Best case scenario is that he develops into a second option, but a 3rd option is more likely. Right now, because we don't have that go to player on our team, we expect others to fill that role or at least make up for it. Therefore, we expect more out of our young players than we probably should have, and when they don't meet those expectations, we get all upset. However, trading him is not the answer. Every team could use a guy like Chandler on their team...just not as a first or second option. When we do get that franchise player of ours, Chandler will be able to fill his role nicely and will look that much better because of it. If we trade him away now, we are going to wish he was on our team a few yrs down the line.

Good answer.

He's our best young prospect right now. We've no choice but to think highly of him. The alternative is, depressing...

Veal's comparison of Wilson's offense being closer to Bitchard's is on point. Granger-lite, fine. He's got their defensive abilities as well. Gay is more in the mold of a Durant-lite, he can explosive, and go off at any second. Chandler isn't going to be as explosive. But he'll be steady.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#44 » by KnicksScholar24 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:48 am

Starks wrote:There was some comprehensible hype following his first season because the kid had such athletic potential and showed consistent effort on D. Second season, after a promising summer league, he had decent but not spectacular averages of 14.4 ppg on 43% shooting and, while solid on D, wasn't nearly All Defensive Team worthy.

14.4 ppg for a second year 23-overall pick *on a team full of offensive minded chuckers) is very good. He production wasn't too far off from the high lottery SFs (i.e. Jeff Green, Al Thorton).

Those players may develop more consistency, and if they do they will overtake and blow pass Chandler, but as of right now they are still pretty even.

Chandler needs to develop some consistency, improve his ball handling, and drive/slash more. He can't stay a spot up 3 point shooter only. No matter what D'Antoni's offensive system dictates.

He's always seemed like a player than can play well in the system, but not as a main man (or even a secondary scoring option). Similar to Marion in Phoenix. Sad thing, is that I don't think Gallinari is a top 2 scoring option either. (John Wall, I think, could be one at SG. Too bad NY doesn't have their draft pick. Thanks, Isiah.)
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,518

Post#45 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:15 am

KnicksGod wrote:I don't agree with this.

I think Wilson competes well and is kind of a smart player who makes key plays. He does better in the 4th period when games are on the line. I don't think he overshoots or settles for 3's. You don't see him drive a lot but it's the NBA -- just because he's big and strong does not mean that he has the skills to drive regularly and draw contact or convert. I don't think he has that level of halfcourt skill. At least not yet.

But I don't buy the premise that Wilson does not have killer instincts or is not a hard enough worker. And for a guy in his third year but more like his second, his defensive abilities are far above average. Now, I'm not sure he has the skill to be a great scorer -- I would say not -- but he can be a terrific third guy.

Our poor-man's Scottie Pippen?

If Wilson can be a shut-down type of defender against 2s and 3s, and his offense improves, and I believe that it will, he is a part of this core that can win in the playoffs over the next five years or so.
Free Palestine
hehe624
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#46 » by hehe624 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:48 am

If Jeffries' shot can be improved, so can Wilson's. after JJ gets traded at the deadline (hopefully), Wilson should be Allan Houston's next student. he got all the physical tools to be something special. all he needs is a lot of time spent on developing his shot and handles.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#47 » by method » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:15 am

gavran wrote:
blind_ wrote:Chandler is starting to remind me more and more of Dorrell Wright. Hopefully this is not the case. But I still see the ceiling on him as a Mo Peterson-type starter for good teams.

Dorell Wright? Seriously? He reminds you of a player who's best season is worse than Chandler's rookie season, and doesn't even play? Wow, this has to be the worst comparision I've seem so far.

I wonder way he choose that user name?
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#48 » by method » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:20 am

dk7th wrote:there are some good points being made on this thread. my take is that true warrior is right about chandler playing out of position-- and yes i acknowledge those posts citing that chandler shot better from sg than sf position-- but the underlying problem remains his lack of ballhanding skills at the sg position and also the fact that he is not a pure shooter, and a "shooting" guard should be the kind of shooter who has developed a shot since he was a boy of 11 not a youth of 17.

but what hasn't been mentioned thus far is that until d'antoni settles on a lineup many players will still be looking for a role to play on the court in order for there to be better cohesiveness and understanding of what they could be doing or should be doing on the floor.

chandler may in the meantime be making the wrong decisions and may be playing with hesitancy.

even gallinari has looked hesitant or has "deferred" out there; then again he is trying to promote offensive cohesiveness. in fact it has occurred to me-- something that will seem outrageous to some of you i'm sure-- that gallinari in some way might be trying to "educate" his teammates, which is what players with high bball iq do sometimes.

this is why i personally think it is kind of fruitless to wish that he be more "selfish" and start doing the very thing that many have castigated other players for doing. why ask him to "sink" to their level?

Great post I agree on most of the points you made.

The Gallo points where excellant.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,544

Post#49 » by gavran » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 am

blind_ wrote:
gavran wrote:

Nope. Both are average defenders, above average athletically, and have a similar semblance of a jumpshot. The fact is that with Wright, it's a consensus that he'll never be able to translate his skill set to a viable NBA player and that's why he doesn't see minutes. (As well as injuries playing a factor as well)

I wouldn't hold my breath on Chandler turning into this 18/7 player.

Wrong again, Chandler is above average on defense, and has a much better jump shot than Wright, who started hitting mid-range J's later in 2008, when the Heat's season was already over. Wright won't tarnslate his skillset, I agree, on thge other hand Chandler already did, and saying Wilson can't be a 18/7 player is saying that he already peaked at the age of 22. Chandler must have 0 potential if you think he can't average 3.6 more points per game later in his carrier (especially after the chucker squad is gone in a year or two.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#50 » by KnicksGod » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:20 pm

dk7th wrote:there are some good points being made on this thread. my take is that true warrior is right about chandler playing out of position-- and yes i acknowledge those posts citing that chandler shot better from sg than sf position-- but the underlying problem remains his lack of ballhanding skills at the sg position and also the fact that he is not a pure shooter, and a "shooting" guard should be the kind of shooter who has developed a shot since he was a boy of 11 not a youth of 17.

but what hasn't been mentioned thus far is that until d'antoni settles on a lineup many players will still be looking for a role to play on the court in order for there to be better cohesiveness and understanding of what they could be doing or should be doing on the floor.

chandler may in the meantime be making the wrong decisions and may be playing with hesitancy.

even gallinari has looked hesitant or has "deferred" out there; then again he is trying to promote offensive cohesiveness. in fact it has occurred to me-- something that will seem outrageous to some of you i'm sure-- that gallinari in some way might be trying to "educate" his teammates, which is what players with high bball iq do sometimes.

this is why i personally think it is kind of fruitless to wish that he be more "selfish" and start doing the very thing that many have castigated other players for doing. why ask him to "sink" to their level?

Interesting point on Gallinari. I think instinctively he's got a very high BBIQ and somehow knows that this is the best way to play. So being selfish is not in his genetic makeup. But he also doesn't hesitate to shoot when open. He's got a great feel for the game.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#51 » by KnicksGod » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Whoever says Wilson is an average defender is way off. He's a really good defender who has the potential to be a great defender.

I also don't buy that he's not driven or doesn't want to be great. Stay tuned folks. The guy could still reach a very high level.
legoli
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#52 » by legoli » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Chandler couldn't practice all summer long due to the ankle surgery so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on his desire and ability to improve.

Return to New York Knicks