ImageImageImageImageImage

Roster ?s following the Melo trade...

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Re: Roster ?s following the Melo trade... 

Post#61 » by captvict » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 am

Ewing33 wrote:First off, I apologize if this did not need a new topic. I just didn't see the discussion anywhere so I wanted to raise some questions following the trade...

What will our new rotation look like? Who ends up on the bench? Can we use some of our new found depth to acquire young talent or draft picks? Can Frank be the point guard the Knicks have been looking for?

My guess...

We don't make another move until after the Dec deadline (when players who signed in the off season can be moved) but after that well see a few players shipped out of town (Kanter? O'Quinn? Lee?) as the Knicks continue their rebuild with the 2019 off season in mind.

Our new rotation will look something like this...

C: Hernangomez/Porzingis (28/20)
PF: Porzingis/Kanter/Beasley/LT (16/25/5/2)
SF: Beasley/LT/THJr (23/13/12)
SG: THJr/Lee/Baker (20/20/8)
PG: Frank/Sessions/Baker (24/12/12)

You could easily switch LT with Kuz or McBuckets here but I chose Lance because good defenders will be needed with Kanter on the floor. In an ideal world, Sessions minutes get split between Frank and Baker. But until they prove able to handle full time PG responsibilities, a veteran should get a few minutes off the bench. You can also replace Sessions with Jack here based on who has the better training camp.

Your thoughts? Where do we go from here?

I don’t think they paid Baker that much money to disappear as a third string point guard behind sessions

I’m going all out here and saying baker starts opening night
ispitmoney
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#62 » by ispitmoney » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 am

Bold prediction! Cant hate though as its good for the tank!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#63 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:38 am

FemaleDogPlease wrote:Knicks have a bunch of centers that aren't very good.

WHG is good. Noah and Kanter meh
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Ewing33
Senior
And1: 172

Post#64 » by Ewing33 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:03 am

captvict wrote:
Ewing33 wrote:First off, I apologize if this did not need a new topic. I just didn't see the discussion anywhere so I wanted to raise some questions following the trade...

What will our new rotation look like? Who ends up on the bench? Can we use some of our new found depth to acquire young talent or draft picks? Can Frank be the point guard the Knicks have been looking for?

My guess...

We don't make another move until after the Dec deadline (when players who signed in the off season can be moved) but after that well see a few players shipped out of town (Kanter? O'Quinn? Lee?) as the Knicks continue their rebuild with the 2019 off season in mind.

Our new rotation will look something like this...

C: Hernangomez/Porzingis (28/20)
PF: Porzingis/Kanter/Beasley/LT (16/25/5/2)
SF: Beasley/LT/THJr (23/13/12)
SG: THJr/Lee/Baker (20/20/8)
PG: Frank/Sessions/Baker (24/12/12)

You could easily switch LT with Kuz or McBuckets here but I chose Lance because good defenders will be needed with Kanter on the floor. In an ideal world, Sessions minutes get split between Frank and Baker. But until they prove able to handle full time PG responsibilities, a veteran should get a few minutes off the bench. You can also replace Sessions with Jack here based on who has the better training camp.

Your thoughts? Where do we go from here?

I don’t think they paid Baker that much money to disappear as a third string point guard behind sessions

I’m going all out here and saying baker starts opening night

The roster really is wide open in training camp for whoever plays the best to earn minutes and possibly a starting spot, so that very well could be. I like Baker but IMO he's much better suited to come off the bench as a combo guard because he hasnt provem able to run an offense or have a reliable outside shot. Starters minutes should go to Frank or Sessions/Jack until Baker or Frank earn them.

Not gonna lie, the rotation I set shows I think highly of Frank and think he'll earn a starting spot and minutes right away. I like his game and think it will translate to the league a lot faster than most.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#65 » by Jeffrey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:07 am

If the Knicks say they are rebuilding then they need to give Frank N at least 25+ minutes. He will hit a rookie wall around the 20th game and this is where Sessions/Jack comes in.

This team actually has some talent but it will go so far if KP takes another step. If he does, I could see us fighting for the 8th playoff spot.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,341

Post#66 » by Scalabrine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 am

DrCoach wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
falcindor wrote:You didn’t figure in O’Quinn and Lee. A trade is needed to balance things out. I think we need to upgrade SF get someone like Tobias Harris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would Tobias ?Harris help us? He's an average starting small forward with limited upside. Trade vet assets for young guys on team friendly deals and picks.

Ummm, Harris is young

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
falcindor wrote:You didn’t figure in O’Quinn and Lee. A trade is needed to balance things out. I think we need to upgrade SF get someone like Tobias Harris

Why would Tobias ?Harris help us? He's an average starting small forward with limited upside. Trade vet assets for young guys on team friendly deals and picks.

You do understand that Harris is only 25....With that said, I would much rather have Harkless who is only 24 but would be much harder for us to get.

Do you think Harris has a ton of upside? That;s my point. Sure he's not a bad player, and I think he can be a major contributor to a winning team, but we are not the team that he's going to help... he's going to help us win games in the short term, but by the time Porzingis is 24, Ntilikina is going to be 22, he's going to be 28 and ready for a new contract.

We need to bottom out. Let's try that for once. Tobias Harris, and again...nothing against the guy, is just another lateral move to keep us as a middling team with mismatched, average players, that has kept us as a lottery team for getting close to two decades now. Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Al Harrington, Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson all weren't old either. When something consistently doesn't work, and doesn't work... and doesn't work (and this isn't just the Knicks, it's around the league) it's time to try something different.

Look at ALL of the top teams, the best up and coming teams, they are all teams built through the draft, with young players on good deals and good cohesion between coaching and management. It's pretty black and white to me. Before the Warriors recent success they were on the same path as us, picking up middle of the pack guys, putting together teams to compete for playoffs (and failing more times then not), moving picks for 25 year old players that were good but didn't have the potential to be great. It's the exact same thing. Then they scrapped it, spent a few years focusing on player development, scouting, and collecting picks (not necessarily tanking, just having a long-term approach). The Celtics grabbed a ton of picks and young players and have become an attractive destination because of it. The Bucks and the Sixers too.

We've pretty much been doing the exact opposite of what the Spurs do since we met them in the finals in 99 and that's really just a strategy I'm not willing to continue to support it. We'd be one of the number one free agent destinations if we could just not look like a total joke of a franchise.

All that being said, I would trade Courtney Lee and any of McDermott, Kuzminskas, O'Quinn, Thomas for Harris, but that's more to do with him expiring sooner then Lee then his actual potential.
Go Knicks!
falcindor
General Manager
And1: 144

Post#67 » by falcindor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 am

Player aren’t lifers with teams anymore. Stop worrying when someone is going to be 28.

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#68 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am

I think if Russ signs the extension, OKC might circle back and show interest in one of Lee KOQ or LFT. Add some bench help, though that may not be as big a deal since you can stagger WB PG Melo to have one or even two on the floor at the same time.

But those are the 3 that will likely draw any interest amongst playoff teams. The priority should be dumping Lee, then LFT. I'm fine with keeping KOQ.

LFT for Jackson Ajinca would be a solid move for both squads.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,712

Post#69 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am

Maybe we can try to move Noah by linking him to Lee in a trade.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#70 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 am

Scalabrine wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Ummm, Harris is young

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

You do understand that Harris is only 25....With that said, I would much rather have Harkless who is only 24 but would be much harder for us to get.

Do you think Harris has a ton of upside? That;s my point. Sure he's not a bad player, and I think he can be a major contributor to a winning team, but we are not the team that he's going to help... he's going to help us win games in the short term, but by the time Porzingis is 24, Ntilikina is going to be 22, he's going to be 28 and ready for a new contract.

We need to bottom out. Let's try that for once. Tobias Harris, and again...nothing against the guy, is just another lateral move to keep us as a middling team with mismatched, average players, that has kept us as a lottery team for getting close to two decades now. Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Al Harrington, Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson all weren't old either. When something consistently doesn't work, and doesn't work... and doesn't work (and this isn't just the Knicks, it's around the league) it's time to try something different.

Look at ALL of the top teams, the best up and coming teams, they are all teams built through the draft, with young players on good deals and good cohesion between coaching and management. It's pretty black and white to me. Before the Warriors recent success they were on the same path as us, picking up middle of the pack guys, putting together teams to compete for playoffs (and failing more times then not), moving picks for 25 year old players that were good but didn't have the potential to be great. It's the exact same thing. Then they scrapped it, spent a few years focusing on player development, scouting, and collecting picks (not necessarily tanking, just having a long-term approach). The Celtics grabbed a ton of picks and young players and have become an attractive destination because of it. The Bucks and the Sixers too.

We've pretty much been doing the exact opposite of what the Spurs do since we met them in the finals in 99 and that's really just a strategy I'm not willing to continue to support it. We'd be one of the number one free agent destinations if we could just not look like a total joke of a franchise.

All that being said, I would trade Courtney Lee and any of McDermott, Kuzminskas, O'Quinn, Thomas for Harris, but that's more to do with him expiring sooner then Lee then his actual potential.

Draft and develop is the way to build a great team.imho

The trouble is having the right drafting group and development group! Up to date medical system to manage player health, minutes, training and ownership that is supporting all this.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#71 » by Polk377 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Maybe we can try to move Noah by linking him to Lee in a trade.

I hear Ryan Anderson is available..... :lol:
Tornelyus
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#72 » by Tornelyus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:32 am

Even with Chi 2nd as a sweetener, Kanter's contract is non-tradeable (seriously, who would offer anything meaningful for Kanter and Chi 31-35?). No sane FO would risk the player option for 2019 imo.

Noah's contract is already worst in the league. O'Quinn and WHG are more serviceable players on cheaper contract and there is an unnecessary logjam at 5. We may forget to see KP as strecth-5. Best case scenario, WHG's minutes (and development) will not diminish. So, KP will be forced to chase faster and smaller 4's, exposed by them occasionally, stay away from the rim and commit irrelevant fouls (also to be torched by likes of Tobias, Morris...).

Behind KP, there is no reliable alternative. Beasley, McDermott or Kuz will need a strong rim protector behind themselves and Lance Thomas is an overrated defender and cannot create his own shot. All for should also see some minutes as 3, which would end up as (one of the) worst frontcourt in the league. Surround KP with Noah, Lance; he will be doubled and suffocated. Surround him with Kanter and Beasley, Kuz, MCDermott worst defence in the league.

Lee might be the only 2-way serviceable player in the roster, yet he will be undersized at 3, does not fit in the timeline (if there is any). Due to another worst-5 contract in THJr, he will either play as 6th man or lost minutes. He could have been a trade chip if he was younger (he is not), if had a shorter contract (he doesnt have). A lot of rosters might benefit from his services (LAL, OKC, SAC, heck even spurs) but I don't see any return for him.
In Baker Knicks have another terrible contract which will haunt them next year. It is unclear if he will see minutes at 1 or 2 (cannot create for others, slippery handle for 1, unreliable shot for 2). Dotson will be denied meaningful minutes for his development and will see a lot minutes in WCKnicks I'm afraid.

At PG, at least there is some sort of consistency, with young Frank Ntilikina and veteran PG's.

I guess whoever starts at PG, Frank will see 18-20 minutes and it shall increase gradually in time with meaningful minutes at 4th (I'm afraid only available at games such as ATL, CHI or SAC). Every minute Baker play as PG will be deducted from Frank.
THJr will start, see 30-35 minutes, hopefully improve as on-ball and off-ball defender. With the rest of the roster I don't see any opportunity for him to be a distributer. Lee and Baker (along with Dotson) should provide adequate cover. I still think Lee is the better player but how long he will be part of roster we will see.
At 3, well, hopefully Hornacek will grant those minutes who deserves more. I'd like to see more Kuz on the floor instead of LT but if Beasley or McDermott can play a passable defence (see dictionary definition, hallucination: is a perception in the absence of external stimulus that has qualities of real perception.)...
At four, behind KP's 30-35 minutes, LT (with Kanter or WHG) or Beas,MCD,Kuz (with Noah yikes) should see time.
O'Quinn is the odd man out, probably we will not get anything in return since it is too late to trade him (such a waste of his contract, we should have a late 1st for him, instead we will have to settle for a late 2nd.) Every minute Noah and Kanter sees floor will be taken from development of WHG :(.

Other than KP there is no excitement to watch Knicks this year. Losing and double-digit losses will humiliate and alienate our franchise player.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#73 » by Jose7 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 am

^ i couldn't tolerate skimming your post anymore. I'm very sorry you're that sad.

---

As for the rotation...no way Jeff starts LT due to limited offensive ability and general basketball ability..I definitely think he will use him as our wing/stretch 4 defender off the bench...

If No more roster moves are going to be made..there's going to be lots of competition which is a good thing if they are serious about developing young guys.

Early guestimate

Sessions -- TH Jr -- McDermott -- KP -- Billy
Frank -- Lee -- Beasley -- LT -- Kanter

Oquinn, ddot, baker, kuz, Noah going to war for those other minutes..hoping lee and oquinn like everyone else here are shipped out for an asset or two
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#74 » by fresko024 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm

We definitely need to trade one of our big men. Logic tells us that the odd man out may be OQuinn, he’s probably the easiest to move. I assume Kuz & Lance are also on the block. Also, I know Lee is a popular name but the FO may want to keep him around for his veteran leadership.
Romans 8:1-4
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#75 » by Jose7 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

checking trade history near or before the NBA season start previous years..

11-1-16: The Philadelphia 76ers trade Jerami Grant to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Ersan Ilyasova and a 2020 protected first-round draft pick.

10-17-16: The Milwaukee Bucks trade Michael Carter-Williams to the Chicago Bulls for Tony Snell.

9-22-16: The Houston Rockets traded Michael Beasley to the Milwaukee Bucks for Tyler Ennis.

11-10-15: The Memphis Grizzlies traded Jarnell Stokes and Beno Udrih to the Miami HEAT for Mario Chalmers and James Ennis.

10-27-14: The New York Knicks traded Travis Outlaw the option to swap 2018 second-round picks and a 2019 second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for Arnett Moultrie.

10-24-14: The Brooklyn Nets traded Marquis Teague and a 2019 second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for Casper Ware.

9-27-14: The Cleveland Cavaliers traded Keith Bogans and a future second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for a $5.3 million trade exception.

9-25-14: The Boston Celtics traded Keith Bogans to the Cleveland Cavaliers for John Lucas III, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, Dwight Powell and two future second-round picks.

9-17-14: The Sacramento Kings traded Jason Terry and a 2015 second-round pick (50-60 protected) to the Houston Rockets for Alonzo Gee, Scott Hopson and a trade exception.

10-25-13: The Phoenix Suns trade Marcin Gortat, Shannon Brown, Kendall Marshall and Malcolm Lee to the Washington Wizards for Emeka Okafor and a 2014 first-round pick (Top 12 protected).

---

Trades at these times are very rare..
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#76 » by King of Canada » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Maybe we can try to move Noah by linking him to Lee in a trade.

I think that Noah is going to have to show some semblance of his old self before anybody will accept him without a 1st. Hopefully he can come in this year and contribute.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#77 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 pm

it's hilarious to preach about a commitment to defense all offseason and to then go out and sign for beasley along with trading for anus kanter and mcdermott. i don't even like jeff but they're setting him up to fail.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#78 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:kanter is the starting C

see this is a problem and goes against everything we've been preaching about developing the young core.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#79 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Jose7 wrote:checking trade history near or before the NBA season start previous years..

11-1-16: The Philadelphia 76ers trade Jerami Grant to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Ersan Ilyasova and a 2020 protected first-round draft pick.

10-17-16: The Milwaukee Bucks trade Michael Carter-Williams to the Chicago Bulls for Tony Snell.

9-22-16: The Houston Rockets traded Michael Beasley to the Milwaukee Bucks for Tyler Ennis.

11-10-15: The Memphis Grizzlies traded Jarnell Stokes and Beno Udrih to the Miami HEAT for Mario Chalmers and James Ennis.

10-27-14: The New York Knicks traded Travis Outlaw the option to swap 2018 second-round picks and a 2019 second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for Arnett Moultrie.

10-24-14: The Brooklyn Nets traded Marquis Teague and a 2019 second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for Casper Ware.

9-27-14: The Cleveland Cavaliers traded Keith Bogans and a future second-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for a $5.3 million trade exception.

9-25-14: The Boston Celtics traded Keith Bogans to the Cleveland Cavaliers for John Lucas III, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, Dwight Powell and two future second-round picks.

9-17-14: The Sacramento Kings traded Jason Terry and a 2015 second-round pick (50-60 protected) to the Houston Rockets for Alonzo Gee, Scott Hopson and a trade exception.

10-25-13: The Phoenix Suns trade Marcin Gortat, Shannon Brown, Kendall Marshall and Malcolm Lee to the Washington Wizards for Emeka Okafor and a 2014 first-round pick (Top 12 protected).

---

Trades at these times are very rare..

Huh? You listed 10 trades in the last 3 seasons. That's not too rare. We have to balance out this roster. I can see Lee and/or KOQ traded by the time Noah gets back from suspension. We have to make a trade or 2 to balance out the roster and make room for JJ. If JJ isn't a priority...minutes at the 5 are.
:beer: RIP mags
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,975

Post#80 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:kanter is the starting C

see this is a problem and goes against everything we've been preaching about developing the young core.

kanter is 25.

and there should still be an appropriate amount of minutes for willy.

even in terms of asset management, you want kanter to blow up. that way even his trade value is high if you want to move him.

defense is a problem, but it's good to have multiple good young players at a given position.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks